Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
1G-Gte sump removal Thu, 18 March 2004 07:58 Go to next message
I have my 1g-gte running for some time now and the sump was removed by the guys that modified it, and they cut a bit out and welded it in order to get it to clear the steering rack, which it did nicely
However
It appears that it's leaking oil all the way around the sump.
I pulled the sump off today, to try and rectify it.
It was glued on SOOOO hard, that it's damn hard to imagine the thing EVER not having sealed.
In addition to that, it's go that metal baffle/gasket thing still on it, which i was also glued on pretty damn hard.
Question is this:

How have people put their 1g-gte sumps back on after removal, what have they put back in to seal it, and did they put in the metal gasket/baffle that's in there by standard?

Any assistance would be appreciated.
  Send a private message to this user    
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon3.gif  Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Thu, 18 March 2004 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup, took me a couple of $*%&ing days to clean up the crap off all the surfaces.

From what I remember, I just used silastic to stick it back on.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Thu, 18 March 2004 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but did you put it back on with the metal gasket/baffle thing in there?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Thu, 18 March 2004 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The baffle is definetly necessary. I used a wire brush to clean mine all off and made sure all the surfaces were clean. I used...Permatex I think it was, in a black tube. It was recommended on the label for sumps. The other option is going to Toyota and getting the Toyota stuff. It's not hugely expensive.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Thu, 18 March 2004 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How tight did you go up the sump bolts, and how bent was the baffle when you put it back on? did you just straighten it as best you could and then bolt it back on to flatten it out?

and Permatex you reacon hey?

How high were the boost pressures you were runnign?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Thu, 18 March 2004 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I used the gasket.

My sump was straight when I pulled it off... Why would it be bent?!?!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Thu, 18 March 2004 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did them firm, but not so tight as to a) snap the bolts, b) squeeze all the silicon out.

I chose that as it was the replacement stuff recommended by GM and a couple of mates had given it a good rep so I figured it was a goer.

Boost pressure? My car still hasn't been run Razz Regardless though, what has that got to do with it? Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Thu, 18 March 2004 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you using a front sump Nark?
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Thu, 18 March 2004 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark: No, not the bent sump, bent baffle.

JCMF: Well, the higher the boost pressure, the more blow by, but then again, that woudl run straight out the breathers, so it shouldn't matter.
hwoever, I have run up to probably near 30psi.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Thu, 18 March 2004 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In any case, the sump should NEVER get pressurised enough to cause any problems. You'd expect your rings to be f'ed at that point.

As for the baffle, out front sumps have internal baffles not a two-piece one like yours.
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Thu, 18 March 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yea they are a fair bitch to get off!!! I just used some black silastic too, that was recomended for sumps, hasn't leaked yet...
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Thu, 18 March 2004 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, the sum shouldn't be pressurized, so it's not an issue.
I'm a little worried that the sump maybe wasn't leaking, and it was something else?
Can the front main seal leak a little bit without fully letting go, and cause an increasingly larger leak? or do they just hold or not hold?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Thu, 18 March 2004 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nup, they'll leak.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Thu, 18 March 2004 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YOu mean the FMS will only either leak HEAPS or not at all?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Thu, 18 March 2004 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, from experience, it'll leak for a while before it disintegrates, it *shouldn't* just let go.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Thu, 18 March 2004 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool, thanks mate.
might be the problem.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Thu, 18 March 2004 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i cannot emphasize enuff!! be very gentle on the sump bolts they are so easy to snap! dont do up that tight at all

ive pulled mine off twice and its still leeking Sad

one day ill try again
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Thu, 18 March 2004 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so a front sump doesnt have the windage tray... that extra sheet of baffles?

JCMF?
Undertow
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Thu, 18 March 2004 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just gave mine a general clean and used Silastic. Come to think of it, I think I don't even have that baffle on. Make sure you don't screw them bolts in too much coz I've sheared two of mine and there's a slow leak.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Thu, 18 March 2004 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Thu, 18 March 2004 19:39

Are you using a front sump Nark?

Yup.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Thu, 18 March 2004 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman wrote on Thu, 18 March 2004 19:40

so a front sump doesnt have the windage tray... that extra sheet of baffles?

JCMF?

They do have that sheet of baffles, but they are not a separate piece like the mid/mid-rear ones, they are part of the sump itself.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Thu, 18 March 2004 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You guys might want to check your PCV valves and breathers.

If you set them up right, you should have a slight vaccum in the sump/head that will stop oil leaks.

Plus, its also helps to stop blow-by.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Fri, 19 March 2004 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P: Sounds like a valid response, however I don't have a PCV, (or at least I don't think I do), due to the fact that I'm running straight gas, no EFI stuff around my engine. As far as breathers are concerned, I just run both of mine out the back of the motor, with no catch can or anything, (don't tell MR. EPA), to get rid of excess oil vapor. Would this possibly be a) causing leaks and b) getting rid of the vaccum that you are suggesting exists? I'm buggered if I know where my leak is coming from, it gradually got worse and worse, and it appeared to becoming from the sump, however the sump was so tightlyyyyyyy sealed up that I couldn't get the 'bastard' off with anything i tried. Made it somewhat difficult to understand how the sump could be leaking, hence why I was thinking that it could be the front main seal.

However, I'm taking the front main seal off to ensure that I get a new one in there, but maybe that isnt' the problem. I know for a fact that I've got a leak at the back of the intake side rocker cover gasket, and that's contributing to the leak at the back side of the motor, however I'm not entirely sure that the leak at the front isn't due solely to the FMS, it might be the sump, but then again, it might not be.

Any ideas? After my marathon essay? (There's more where that came from..)
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Wed, 31 March 2004 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JCMF.
you dont happen to have a picture of the inside of the front sump..
just wanna make sure my one is going to be ok or if I need to refit the windage tray from the mid sump and modify that. as my front sump only has one wing. whereas the norm seems to be 2 wings.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Wed, 31 March 2004 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll go have a look through my pics.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Wed, 31 March 2004 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry man, only got the inside of the mid-rear and the underside of the front one. Sad
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-Gte sump removal Wed, 31 March 2004 05:52 Go to previous message
luke your sump had baffling built into it when we put it on!!

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Smallport Motor Running Blue Top ECU?
Next Topic:NGK Spark Plugs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 29 12:39:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053689479827881 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.