Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Bushpilot
Newcomer

February 2004
TEMS / Lowered springs question Tue, 16 March 2004 04:47 Go to next message
Hi everyone,
New to the board, just bought a 1990 Supra(7MGTE)
I am planning to lower the car-only 30mm, with King springs, and put new Toyota TEMS shocks in at the same time. Will the TEMS shocks be compatible with lowered springs? Has anyone done this particular mod before, with what results? I know there are other shock options (eg Tokico Illumina) but they are probably too expensive for me and I read somewhere else that they don't last long either.
Any other suggestions for spring /shock combos. BTW I did search the archives for TEMS stuff but didn't find an answer to my question.

Thanks in advance,
Geoff
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TEMS / Lowered springs question Tue, 16 March 2004 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go the Koni's. A friend of mine used them in his (very) lowered MA70 and they were surprisingly affordable. From memory it was less than $1k for the springs and shocks, including installation.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TEMS / Lowered springs question Tue, 16 March 2004 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They work OK on mine - and it has pretty low springs at the moment (unsure of brand, they came with the car). That said, unless you're crazy about the "active" nature of the TEMS and love to hear them switching between hard and soft etc go for the Koni setup.
A properly setup spring/shock combination like the Konis will handle a bit better than TEMS (new TEMS shocks are reasonably priced) but be quite a bit more expensive. Depending on what driving you're doing in the car should colour your choice as well - long trips on shit roads seem even longer with a nice hard set of shocks in the car!! (and the road will seem shittier as well) Laughing
Still, with TEMS the back of the supra is a bit soft for hard cornering etc.
And I don't want to hear any comments about Supra's being "straight line weapons". Despite their porky weight they're a lot of fun around corners too, and handle magnificently, esp fast, long sweepers!
Bushpilot
Newcomer

February 2004
Re: TEMS / Lowered springs question Tue, 16 March 2004 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the feedback. I guess i am influenced by the reasonable price ($85 each)of the TEMS shocks, and also the fact that I will be using the car for long trips - I just want to firm up the handling a bit - and make it look good too.
I can do the work myself so the complete new suspension set-up will only cost around $650

Geoff
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: TEMS / Lowered springs question Wed, 17 March 2004 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was talking to Allan and he got his Suspension replaced with original ones from Toyota and cost him AUD$50 for 1 and AUD$200 for the whole car Shocked , it's cheaper then replacing the bonnet strut (cost $300+ original).

Cheers.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TEMS / Lowered springs question Wed, 17 March 2004 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The TEMS cost me $50 each as well becuase I bought them all at the same time along with some other parts. Toyota list price was around $72 ea.

Lowered springs cost nothing because they were on my car when I bought it! In fact, I had to put the jza70 struts in to pass rego inspection as with the lowered/aftermarket ones they couldn't get their jack under the car! That said, someone is selling a set of Kings springs on the forums pretty cheap. So you could do a suspension unpgrade for less than $500 on the cheap!

Get a new wheel alignement too - the Supra's are totally adjustable and you'll need one if your lowering the height of the car.
Bushpilot
Newcomer

February 2004
Re: TEMS / Lowered springs question Thu, 18 March 2004 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks again you guys for the valuable advice - I think I will go for the TEMS shocks, but will shop around the Toyota dealers for the best price as they obviously vary considerably. I'll let you know the results.

Cheers,

Geoff
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: TEMS / Lowered springs question Fri, 19 March 2004 13:45 Go to previous message
oi! maldon victoria?

who is this geoff? geoff who?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Help : Wiring Haltech to 4agte
Next Topic:need help with 3sge :(!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 06:55:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0035181045532227 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.