Toymods » Tech & Conversions » TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise*

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Fri, 19 March 2004 06:01 Go to next message
I'm just wondering what odd ta22 conversions have been done before?
I've seen ones like a v6 capri motor been put in a ta22, what else is there or has anyone got a good idea for one? id like to stick to v6's and maybe small v8's.any ideas?
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Fri, 19 March 2004 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Be aware of the engine conversion rules... in NSW or Qld the largest allowable engine size in cc if the car's weight times three. Since the TA22 weighs ~950kg (from memory), the largest you can go is 2850cc. That rules out a lot of V6's and pretty much every V8 I can think of.

The cool thing about TA22's is their light weight and "chuckable" nature, so it would be a shame to destroy that with a big heavy engine up the front. IMO you should stick with smallish engines and use forced induction to get the power you're after.
alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Fri, 19 March 2004 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone know what mods are involved to make the v6 capri motor fit? has the capri motor got an alloy block? i thought the 2850cc rule only applied to F\I, N\A is larger isnt it?
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Fri, 19 March 2004 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know of one conversion using a 3.4L Toyota 4V. Requires modification to sump, rocker cover, R&P steering conversion to fit, in addition to regular crossmember/gearbox/tailshaft/differential concerns.
torque
Regular

May 2003
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Fri, 19 March 2004 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
QLD rules are all over the place - it seems to matter who you know, and how much you're prepared to spend!

I have seen a ta22 (legally engineered and qld registered) with a Buick (holden vs) V6 in it (not my cup of tea).

There is also that wicked red one with a 1UZ TT setup (not sure which state that is in).

And there was another getting around queensland with a 1JZ - although it may have been an ra23.. v nice conversion though.

I've been trying to think of some different sort of conversion for when I get back to aus - was thinking maybe non-turbo, but you just miss so much power potential!

A few years back I read about a "scat" V4 race engine made in the states for the sprint car series. They are basically a 350 chev cut in half (so share a lot of go-fast bits) and they are alloy block! I've not been able to find a lot of info on them (and the name of them makes it tricky to search for on the internet!)
alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Fri, 19 March 2004 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I Know Laughing, i tried searching those a while back too, Very Very disturbing results,by the way i was searching on school computers too, people who searched this engine will realise why that such a bad idea Shocked
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Fri, 19 March 2004 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in one of the last street machine mags i remember a short article on a new 2.0ltr v8 they developed.... il have to have a look for it.

Cheers

Nathan
KING_22
Regular

August 2003
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Fri, 19 March 2004 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Time to move to Victoria Laughing Laughing

I got a TA22 with an sr20det and one with a 302 windsor 5.0 L baby Evil or Very Mad
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Fri, 19 March 2004 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man you gotta put up pics of that 302 ta22. what did you do for steering? i'm assuming you would run into issues with the standard box? and does it actually handle at all or just for straight line work?
torque
Regular

May 2003
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Fri, 19 March 2004 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes - do tell!!

I've always wanted to do a RA28 with a 289 Boss motor (efi of course!)... and twin pipes... niiice!
gmsta27
Regular

February 2003
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Fri, 19 March 2004 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Old gm cars, then the triumph tr8, and finally the range rovers all had aluminum block and head v-8 engines based on the GM 215cubic inch motors stock with 215 hp and 230 lbft of torque. light weight and compact these would make excellent conversions if available just have to search them out .

Greg
grphil
Occasional Poster

June 2003
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Fri, 19 March 2004 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, Buick/Rover V8's are light and you even get bellhousings for 5Speed Toyota gearboxes (for silly money) but they are from ~3500cc on... if you got money, try to find a Alfa Romeo Montreal engine V8 (200PS)2.6L and 5Speed gearbox, they are great fun and light but rare and expensive, in 4Years I've only seen 3 engines or spare part cars for sell... Alfa V6 have great sounds ... BMW 3L V8 came around 1990... 205HP... not a thrilling, but a good engine... and light
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Sat, 20 March 2004 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alex_ta22 wrote on Fri, 19 March 2004 16:19

i thought the 2850cc rule only applied to F\I, N\A is larger isnt it?

For NA engines, the rule is 3x the car's weight.

For FI engines, the rule is 2.5x the car's weight.

This means you can have a turbo engine with a capacity up to 2375cc.
alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Sat, 20 March 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey King22 reccomend any good areas in vic to move to? Laughing Laughing
ddeane
Regular

June 2002
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Sun, 21 March 2004 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gidday

All states have rules regarding engine size for conversions. Basically these apply where structural and chasis modifications are mimimal. With the right engineering almost nothing is impossible. For example the BULLET, which is based on a MX5 - in standard form the bullet has a 4 litre 1uz. But look at the engineering involved - recent Zoom had one of these with a twin turbo.

So if you want to do it talk to your friendly engineer and be prepared to spend lots on money.

Craig
KING_22
Regular

August 2003
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Tue, 23 March 2004 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PEWEE: what do u mean what did i do for steering? steering is as per standard. and the box is a hybrid c4/c9. U dont put an old V8 into a celica for handling(thats what the sr20 one is for Very Happy ). Yes it is front heavy and without power steering it makes it a little bit harder to turn. Add the lock diff into the mix and u got one straight line car. But my girlfriend actually drives it most of the time(its hers) and she is only 5 foot nothing so i dont think any of you guys would have trouble with it. Its a definate cruiser with straight line cahuna's. Thats what V8's are for isn't it?

alex ta22: what are u trying to say?

I would post pics but they wont let me on here and i cant be assed getting someone else to host them. u can find some pics of the car here: http://groups.msn.com/CELICA73/hotties.msnw?Page=1

Blue One is the V8
White One is the SR20DET (obviously) Rolling Eyes
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Tue, 23 March 2004 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KING_22 wrote on Tue, 23 March 2004 17:12

PEWEE: what do u mean what did i do for steering? steering is as per standard. and the box is a hybrid c4/c9.

I think he means in terms of clearance for the steering box and ancilliary gear. Did you convert to R&P?
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Tue, 23 March 2004 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh i meant for clearance, whether you had gone to r&p.

a mate has a 302 in a cortina and that's limited enough for space, and has a bigger engine bay
KING_22
Regular

August 2003
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Thu, 25 March 2004 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No stock standard.
Brenton_TA23
Regular

October 2003

Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Thu, 25 March 2004 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a bloke in my club in sa that put a rover v8 into his ta22. Not to bad a conversion. There is plenty of fours around the place you could do though. or if you want a 6 there's the vectra v6. European, quite quick.
KING_22
Regular

August 2003
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Thu, 25 March 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
interesting vectra V6. but how much? how much horses? turbo or NA?
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Thu, 25 March 2004 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A V6 could work well in terms of weight distribution; it'd be pretty short so could sit back in the bay and not overhang the crossmember too much. Also a healthy displacement would be available from six cylinders.

Maybe something like Nissan VQ? All-alloy in Maxima and 350Z i believe. Maxima motor has less output and FF transverse orientation but may be more available and more affordable.

Would alloy block be lighter or heavier than steel block motor all else equal? Because alloy is lighter but I heard more reinforcement and larger casting thicknesses are required. Do you prefer a tonne of bricks or a tonne of feathers? Rolling Eyes
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Thu, 25 March 2004 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like your TA22's KING_22, they look great, and I bet they go hard.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 March 2004 07:48]

mtsbirch
Regular

October 2002
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Sun, 28 March 2004 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's a 72 Celica in the US with a Buick 3.8l turbo out of a Grand National. There are pictures of it on
www.classic-celica.com
Disco Scoob
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Mon, 29 March 2004 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey what about an engine from a WRX (EJ20DET? i think?).
There is a tonne of aftermarket stuff you can get to make it go harder. But, i guess the whole 4WD thing would be an issue.
While your at it you could just make your 22 4WD, easy! Laughing

hey your location is maitland, i live in Morpeth, what colour is your Celica? i may have seen you driving around.

Cheers Sean.
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Tue, 30 March 2004 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I *think* EJ20 in WRX is north/south. Should require custom bellhousing and clutch to fit new transmission. Main problem to overcome would be the physical width of the motor; don't know if it'd fit between the TA22 chassis rails/strut towers.
Disco Scoob
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: TA22 conversions? *new info, i promise* Wed, 31 March 2004 07:17 Go to previous message
SeptemberSquallIndustries - yep! had a look in my mates rx, its a fat basterd. shame, ill have to stop dreaming... unless you have a giant shoe-horn and a lot of butter? Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RT40 corona possible engine swaps
Next Topic:Smallport Motor Running Blue Top ECU?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 19:23:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059399604797363 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.