Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Sat, 20 March 2004 02:07 Go to next message
Just wondering, im running the stock engine, i have heard that turbo 4agze suffer from lag due to their 1.6 capacity, but i have seen a black hilux running a big mother, he was featured in a old zoom issue. I was wondering the engine bolts straight on or, if not what about the sr20?
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Sat, 20 March 2004 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Use the search function. It's at the top right of the page. The SR20 swap has been done to death here.

As for the 3RZFE swap, something like that is unlikely to be straightforward - they never are. Things you need to look out for are cost of motor, engine mounts, sump, loom/ECU/wiring, gearbox/tunnel clearance, rear Xmember, tailshaft, diff and brakes.
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Sat, 20 March 2004 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Sat, 20 March 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure it won't - I made a half-arsed measurement of one in a mate's Hilux ute and it looked like it was about 10cm too tall. That could be improved with a dry-sump & special crossmember, etc, but you'd have to measure it carefully.
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Sat, 20 March 2004 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you swap,i mean a hilux bottom and a ze head?
Im just not happy with the ze capacity. ill do some resurche on the net
thanks

[Updated on: Sat, 20 March 2004 02:37]

7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Sat, 20 March 2004 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, not possible, don't even think about it.
Undertow
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Sat, 20 March 2004 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to say but 4AGE turbs is the best thing around. Cheapest way around a conversion for an 86.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Sun, 21 March 2004 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bubbles wrote on Sat, 20 March 2004 13:07

Just wondering, im running the stock engine, i have heard that turbo 4agze suffer from lag due to their 1.6 capacity, but i have seen a black hilux running a big mother, he was featured in a old zoom issue. I was wondering the engine bolts straight on or, if not what about the sr20?

Nothing wrong with the 4a engine size.

Just look at what this beast does. http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=31449&start=0&rid=3118&S=ba6276b0f79 6e885f48c2a12b1bbc0fc
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Sun, 21 March 2004 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
was gonna say
they can pump out 200rwkw with a turbo hanging off the side.
this in a car that weighs 900kgs, and you've got a nuts fast car
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Sun, 21 March 2004 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but the thing is im using it has a everyday day car, someday i might decide to take on drifting and the last thing you want is a sprinter hanging sideways under the torque band, seriosly before i bought this car there was a green sprinter 4 sale, wanted too much, with a 4agze, 4ag throttle running a s14 turbo, i would be lying if i sayd the car was slow, it was very fast, he was driven and at the lights whe had the luck to drag a wrx, the rex took off faster than has, of course 4wd, but in 3rd gear on the sprinter we cacth up to him really quickly, since fourth and fifh gear have very close ratio he went straight into fifth, we had past the rex, anyway back to what i was saying boost only came in at 4 and half gran, i want more ponnies at the wheels with less lag, lats says boost coming in at least 2500, what is the best approach?

[Updated on: Sun, 21 March 2004 22:40]

John K
Regular

August 2003

Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Sun, 21 March 2004 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I were you I'd go with the 4AGZE and slap on the 1G supercharger on it with a nice cooler and aftermarket computer, bigger injectors, and wile your at it install an oil cooler.

For every day driving, and possible drifter in the future, that works well from low rev's, with enough power to kill most cars on the road I think this would be your best combination. Cool
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Mon, 22 March 2004 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what he said. you want low down torque and a more even power curve, just stick with the supercharer
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Mon, 22 March 2004 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, the 3RZFE is WAY too tall to fit under the bonnet of an AE86.
they're about $3500 for the engine and box from a wrecker, as they are pretty new.
they only make 110kW in std trim, but they take to turbocharging like the 1UZFE. however, they rev really easily being a twin cam and having a comparatively light bottom end.
has anyone else noticed that putting a turbo on an NA toyota motor seems to be a better option than winding the boost up on a turbo'd factory engine...?
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Mon, 22 March 2004 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A ZE in a sprinter is a great allround car. They can make plenty of power with a bit of attention. Yet with aftermarket management (or a dash switch) you can turn the charger off so that you get good round town economy.

And for drift/track the wide torque band is great. A mate who usually drives a 160rwkw 180sx took my ZE sprinter for a drift and was very impressed with it, especially the lack of lag.

A good 1.6l is fine for a 950kg car. But if you want more capacity cheap buy a 2.6l Sigma.

Hen
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Tue, 23 March 2004 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From what yos guys said, ill goo hunting for a ze, another thing, which aftermarket ecu has that option, turning the sc on and off?
Undertow
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Mon, 29 March 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You don't know what you're talking about. Drive a 4AGZE 86 and then a 4AGTE 86 and get back to me. Superchargers = ghey.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Mon, 29 March 2004 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The supercharger is only turned on and off by means of a relay. Most ECU's will have an output that could be used to turn this on at a certain RPM or load.
trev64
Regular

July 2002
Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Mon, 29 March 2004 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a article in an old Zoom of a AW11 MR2 that has a 7a-fe bottom end with a 20v head and a T28 hanging off the side.
If I remeber rightly it brought capacity to 2 litres.
It was from Ray Hall Turbochrarging in QLD.
If it works for a 20v head it should work for a 4ag(ze) head.
But i think the 7a-fe is transverse (east west) engine.
Food for thought.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Mon, 29 March 2004 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wouldnt a 2700cc engine be illegal in nsw for the ae86.

930kgs X 2.5 = 2325cc
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Mon, 29 March 2004 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Undertow wrote on Mon, 29 March 2004 13:47

You don't know what you're talking about. Drive a 4AGZE 86 and then a 4AGTE 86 and get back to me. Superchargers = ghey.

Its for drifting, i can't have any lag, then get back to me. Laughing
Shotgun
Occasional Poster

January 2003
Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Thu, 01 April 2004 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you ever actually drifted before?

A bit of lag is better than no power at all. I know more than you so learn some respect, young 'un.

www.garagedori.com

Watch and learn.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Thu, 01 April 2004 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FKN16V wrote on Mon, 29 March 2004 20:40

930kgs X 2.5 = 2325cc

2.5x is for F/I

2.7L 3rzfe is N/A
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Thu, 01 April 2004 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
STR8 2.8 wrote on Thu, 01 April 2004 21:34

FKN16V wrote on Mon, 29 March 2004 20:40

930kgs X 2.5 = 2325cc

2.5x is for F/I

2.7L 3rzfe is N/A

I knew there was some rule about.

F/I x 2.5 & N/A x 3.0

So 930 x 3 = 2790

HHmmmmmm just?

Clad we sorted that out?
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Fri, 02 April 2004 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i should of changed the topic because not everyone seems to read the whole thing, anyway i was just curios, the hilux engine has no problems with big turbos, but since bill gave me some usefull advice i then thought about the sr20det, both are very espensive setups(SR20 more),the cheapest option would problably be a 4ac with webbers tuned for optimax, i wonder how it would behave? or a 4age

[Updated on: Fri, 02 April 2004 04:44]

onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Fri, 02 April 2004 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Undertow wrote on Fri, 02 April 2004 15:32

Don't get too childish.

don't get too angry either there dude...

i put it to you that a turbo'd 3RZ-FE will piss on ANY turbo'd 4AG. it has the low end torque to pull it out of a hole, unlike the 4AG which has to be kept on boost to make it move anywhere - which to me makes the turbo 3RZ a more useful engine in a drift scenario.

regardless of what is the more cost effective engine package, the question was regards to the 3RZ-FE. the question is still being resolved, so don't throw in a curveball re: bluetop 4A's.

he's worried about lag with the 4AG. with the 3RZ he won't need to, because of the torque the extra 1.1L of engine has.

have you driven a HiLux with a 3RZ-FE?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Will the hilux 2.7 engine fit on a ae86? Fri, 02 April 2004 10:53 Go to previous message
notice how the CRAP HAS BEEN DELETED ??!!

dont make me come back and clean this sheep loving dooriiftoo shite up again No No No
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4E-FTE Conversion
Next Topic:Help! How do you install an indicator stalk?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 13:47:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0087459087371826 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.