Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » legal lowering.. what is the rule?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

legal lowering.. what is the rule? Wed, 17 March 2004 09:52 Go to next message
I was lookin on pf where they had a thread like this.. but no-one knew the law fully.. is the coke can test lowest part of the body of the car?.. or lowest point excluding wheels(i.e exhaust)?
cause i went down to mine today and its this low(its on grass, yes.. but its same on concrete).

So is mine illegal?
http://members.optushome.com.au/jag7799/coke_can_test.jpg
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Wed, 17 March 2004 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No part of the car can be any lower than 100mm.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Wed, 17 March 2004 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup. Cool1 is right. 10cm. That's for NSW at least.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Wed, 17 March 2004 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its right for Queensland too. Its written on the QLD Transport page as well Very Happy
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Wed, 17 March 2004 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
golden circle in can?
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Wed, 17 March 2004 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rthy wrote on Wed, 17 March 2004 21:08

golden circle in can?

i asked my sister to get me a can of coke from under the house
thats what she came out with.. who knows...

so my car is well illegal?.. ive been pulled over and cops havent said anything about it...
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Wed, 17 March 2004 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just to let you know, A coke can or the like is taller than 100mm!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Wed, 17 March 2004 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
plus unless your exhaust draws their attention, cops will usuall base it on the height of your skirts/front kit off the ground
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Wed, 17 March 2004 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unless they use the 100mm Dia cyclinder they carry around.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Wed, 17 March 2004 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im amazed how little i get pulled over now my car is modified
like before i had anything done(maybe exhaust... cant remember).. i used to get pulled over every few days.. even a few times a day.. now they rarely bother...
my other soarer has a 3 inch exhaust.. so ill probably use that with the 1jz.. not sure how low it is though
havent seen the car in 2 weeks
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Wed, 17 March 2004 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so you know how the supra got failed for being too low

Exhibit a:

http://goodshopping.com.au/celica/supra4.jpg

IF that lowest part (which is this front lip) is actually MORE than 10cm are we sweet and I have something to "discuss" with the mechanic? or is there a guard issue too (unlikely methinks)
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Wed, 17 March 2004 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i didnt think the exhaust counted?

probably wrong, and trying to convince myself its ok though... my zorst is under 100mm Rolling Eyes
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Wed, 17 March 2004 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its counted in Queensland. This is another reason I cant have a side pipe Sad
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Wed, 17 March 2004 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol.. well no-ones said anything to me... so its all good
except "damn, thats low" from standard anyway
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Wed, 17 March 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Exhaust counts in NSW too. A friend of mine recently got defected for his exhaust (the only mod that's been done to his S15).
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Wed, 17 March 2004 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 100mm clearance thing isnt a huge deal IMO - you can slam a car on its guts and still have it clear by 10cm... (look at a ruler, 10cm is not much)

the thing that worries me is the 'eyebrow' rule where they measure between the centre of the back wheel and the guard lip... im assuming every single standard xp falcon/vn commodore can now get defected under this ridiculous rule (they tried to tell a mate as a general rule of thumb you need to be able to fit a finger between the top of the tyre and the guard lip)
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Wed, 17 March 2004 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pro_ke wrote on Thu, 18 March 2004 08:38

(they tried to tell a mate as a general rule of thumb you need to be able to fit a finger between the top of the tyre and the guard lip)

Can the finger fit in any way possible? Or does it have to be horizontal?
If it's horizontal, I'm screwed! Freak
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Wed, 17 March 2004 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends if the police man has a quadruple jointed finger?! i have no chance of passing with my car, the design of the body is such that the rear guards sit about 3 inches lower than the front when the car is flat... ill show them where they can stick their finger!
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Wed, 17 March 2004 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and think how many Citroen's would be stuffed! Very Happy
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Wed, 17 March 2004 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep.

Exhaust, diff and sump all must have 10cm clearance!
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Wed, 17 March 2004 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have also heard that your front lights cannot be any less than 50cm above the ground (the top of them that is).
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Thu, 18 March 2004 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

the 100mm clearance thing isnt a huge deal IMO - you can slam a car on its guts and still have it clear by 10cm... (look at a ruler, 10cm is not much)

the thing that worries me is the 'eyebrow' rule where they measure between the centre of the back wheel and the guard lip... im assuming every single standard xp falcon/vn commodore can now get defected under this ridiculous rule (they tried to tell a mate as a general rule of thumb you need to be able to fit a finger between the top of the tyre and the guard lip)

so basically im fucked?
http://members.optushome.com.au/jag7799/car/mid.jpg

its about an inch lower or more than top of tyre when on flat ground... i couldnt even fit it vertically before my guards got rolled...
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Thu, 18 March 2004 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Thu, 18 March 2004 10:03

and think how many Citroen's would be stuffed! Very Happy

I'd love to turn the car off while the cop is sticking his finger in there. Listen to the crunch as the car lowers onto his finger. Evil or Very Mad
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Thu, 18 March 2004 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i couldnt tell you if it is legal or not, i could only suggest you consult your engineer Smile

my guess is your car is too low to be legal, the police man might pick on the rear guards and you are clearly failing the coke can test Wink
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Thu, 18 March 2004 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

the thing that worries me is the 'eyebrow' rule where they measure between the centre of the back wheel and the guard lip...

To be honest I have never heard of this rule at all and hence I have my doubts about it's authenticity. The ADRs (which I was trying to find a pointer on here: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/heavyvehicles/downloads/ vsi/vsi_dl1.html) state that the any part of the car must not be lower than 100mm (except the wheels of course) and or 600mm from the centre of the head light to the ground - which ever occurs first.

I'll try and find the actually ADR info
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Thu, 18 March 2004 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
neither had i until 2 of my mates got done for this

very sneaky
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Thu, 18 March 2004 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In VICTORIA.
They use a 10cm diameter disc on a stick that they roll under the car, if it gets stopped on anything at all..You get stuffed.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Thu, 18 March 2004 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At our local inspection centre, there is a nice hump as you drive in.
If you scrape on that, you are fucked, if not, you have a chance of getting away with it.

Now thats sneaky
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Thu, 18 March 2004 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

They use a 10cm diameter disc on a stick that they roll under the car, if it gets stopped on anything at all..You get stuffed.

i've seen that used at sunnybank maccas once
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Thu, 18 March 2004 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep no eye brow rule here in Qld. They just do the 100mm cylinder trick.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Thu, 18 March 2004 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont think i'd like my car to sit only 100mm from the ground
its bad enough as it is getting over some speed humps and onto my driveway, especially with people in the car(other than me)

and yeah
i've seen them pull out the 100mm dia stick a few times at BWCP
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Thu, 18 March 2004 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyber-punk wrote on Thu, 18 March 2004 20:16

its bad enough as it is getting over some speed humps and onto my driveway, especially with people in the car(other than me)

and yeah

I dont scrape on anything
I dont slow down heaps for speed bumps or take them on any weird angle or anything
ive only ever scraped once...
i guess it just depends where the low point is.. unlike my makes commo's and stuff.. my lowest points are in line with wheels
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Fri, 19 March 2004 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Fri, 19 March 2004 09:41

and yeah

I dont slow down heaps for speed bumps or take them on any weird angle or anything
i guess it just depends where the low point is.. unlike my makes commo's and stuff.. my lowest points are in line with wheels

maybe its because i weigh between 90-95kgs...or my shocks are just plain rooted
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Fri, 19 March 2004 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i weigh around 60 mebbe
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Fri, 19 March 2004 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my car would fail the 10cm rule and the suspension is standard, admittedly the paticular variant was never sold here new, but it would still be tight if i got defected for standard suspension!
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Sat, 20 March 2004 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lang wrote on Sat, 20 March 2004 07:33

my car would fail the 10cm rule and the suspension is standard, admittedly the paticular variant was never sold here new, but it would still be tight if i got defected for standard suspension!

what car?
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Sun, 21 March 2004 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyber-punk wrote on Fri, 19 March 2004 18:18

Jag7799 wrote on Fri, 19 March 2004 09:41

and yeah

maybe its because i weigh between 90-95kgs...or my shocks are just plain rooted

Pump your tyres up to the highest most sensible psi and you may
get away with the car too low Razz

That is what a mate did to his Mini Cooper S.

Cheers.
Soarin
Regular

June 2002
Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Sun, 21 March 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

BOO Sad Not only is my car lowered so there's no wheel gap, the tyres sit so close to the guard too (but it's still a perfect fit Wink)

http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/data/502/4903DSCN0759-med.JPG
It sits a tiny bit lower than this at the moment... would this look legal to you guys?
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: legal lowering.. what is the rule? Sun, 21 March 2004 14:24 Go to previous message
in that pic it looks stock to me.. looks VERY legal
no-where near illegal
min sits under the guards on rear.. had to have all guards modified
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Jamboree at WSID
Next Topic:I GOT TYRE SMOKE IN MY 76 CROWN!!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 12:14:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070838928222656 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.