Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Running-in a turbocharged engine..

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Running-in a turbocharged engine.. Sun, 21 March 2004 04:48 Go to next message
Hi guys, I'm looking for some help or advice on running-in a turbo engine. Points:

Minimum km's travelled

Oil to be used

Treatment of the engine

Maximum speed when running it in.

I knew the answers to this for an N/A engine, just wanted to find out if anything's changed for a turbo (namely a 3S-GTE).

Cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Running-in a turbocharged engine.. Sun, 21 March 2004 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well what have you been told to do to an NA engine? Evil or Very Mad
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Running-in a turbocharged engine.. Sun, 21 March 2004 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not to take it over 80km/h or put it under high stress (like carrying big loads and stuff), to use a thin grade of oil and to change it around 1000 - 1500 km's. Confused
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Running-in a turbocharged engine.. Sun, 21 March 2004 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone have any other suggestions that differ between a NA setup and a turbo setup? I'm trying hard to improve my chances to get to Dubbo in time for the Nat's. Any help here is more than welcome.

Only reason I'm asking is because I saw some conflicting info on a US-based site that says a run-in (or break-in as they call it) requires only 500 miles or 800km. Someone want to clarify on this??

Need help....
Drift_AE71
Regular

October 2003
Re: Running-in a turbocharged engine.. Sun, 21 March 2004 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it comes with warranty who cares just thrash the shit out of it from the word go

i do that with all my motors if then dont brake in the 1st 5mins they will be fine for ever
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Running-in a turbocharged engine.. Sun, 21 March 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't know about 'warranty' as such... I've sunk ten grand into this engine, and I'm not about to thrash the pants off it at the risk of doing some damage to it during it's run-in period. What I'm trying to clarify is the circumstances of the run-in. The sooner someone can give me some USEFUL information the better... Confused
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Running-in a turbocharged engine.. Sun, 21 March 2004 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heya,

Firstly, cant wait to see the RAV4 after this conversion, I saw it stock at Megacruise II, must be mean now Very Happy

As per running it in, well I dont know what the book says, but I think as with most things common sense prevails.

• Let it warm up 1-2 mins before driving anywhere
  • Dont rev the buggery outa it, just gently accelleration, maybe not past 3-4K RPM
  • Dont drive it above 100Km/h
  • Drive it around for 1000Km's or so, that should let the parts seat and wear into normal operating position
  • Use a good quality thin synthetic oil
  • Change oil regularily as parts with clearances just outa whack may start "reshaping" themselves leaving some fine metal shavings in the oil, but I spose the magnet in the sump plug is for this, but a few oil changes might not be a bad idea

Anyway I'm no expert but none of that should really lead you astray.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Running-in a turbocharged engine.. Sun, 21 March 2004 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alchemist wrote on Sun, 21 March 2004 21:13

[*]Use a good quality thin synthetic oil

I believe this is the antithesis of what you want during run-in. You should use a mineral oil, otherwise it will be too well lubricated to wear into the bores properly.
Don't thrash it without load, but obviously I wouldn't be towing a caravan in top gear up a hill with it Razz Make sure it is warm before you drive it hard. Smile
John K
Regular

August 2003

Re: Running-in a turbocharged engine.. Sun, 21 March 2004 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm still running in my fully rebuilt 3SGTE.

Done 1000km, rev limiter set on 5000rpm ( cut out a few times, couldnt resist racing: GSR 4WD, GTR Nissan R32, New BMW M3. Evil or Very Mad ) this was after 800km, still I dont think its wise.

After I did 1000km, I changed the oil (shell 15W-50 plus) its a blue bottle, and changed the oil filter.

Now I have to do another 1500 to 2000km then change the oil again, filter etc. and set the rev's up and the boost.

I hope that was of some help, but you can ring up any of the performance places that rebuild 4cyl turbos and ask them.

Got another 1000km to go untill the rev's and boost go up Evil or Very Mad

Cant wait.

DannyGT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member

May 2002

Re: Running-in a turbocharged engine.. Mon, 22 March 2004 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Andrew...

you want to be asking your rebuilder who should give you advice based on his (hopefully) years of experience

to add to what has been said (and from when i was running in my 3sgte)...

* you do NOT want a thin synthetic oil (this is only after it has been run in)

* do NOT turn the boost up... keep it stock say 8psi... i avoided going on boost completely for the first 500km

* first oil/filter change should be 500-1000km and i changed it twice more before hitting 5000km... after 5000km i went to syn oil and upped the boost

* take it easy Smile

for the record we have had people run in their engines on the trip to dubbo with no ill effect but i personally wouldn't risk it

i've alse heard it said that its better to run-in with varying speeds and revs rather than something constant like you would find in highway driving

can't wait to see her Smile

KDog
Regular

July 2002
Re: Running-in a turbocharged engine.. Mon, 22 March 2004 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK you need to obtain a good combustion pressure. This will make the rings and bore wear togther properly.

To do this you need moderate to high load at medium rpm. The days of poor machining tolerances are gone so the old school methods of running in don't apply.

So driving up some inclines in a higher than normal gear may be the go. Keep varying the revs, don't let it sit on one rev for too long. Warm up the engine before you go anywhere. Use a good quality mineral oil. Change at 500Kms, I wouldn't change to full synthetic for 2000KMs. I would keep the boost low.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Running-in a turbocharged engine.. Mon, 22 March 2004 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
motomans appraoch, which im a big believer in...

FLOG IT

flog it hard, big loads, right up into the rpm range (say 75-80% redline). kep the revs fluctuating, and drive the bejeezuz out of it for the first 20mins of its life (let it warm up for a few mins before doing this of course). then drop the oil and filter. the next 500km again, keep it under 80% redline, and drive it hard (not quite as hard) using the whole rev range.

for this whole procedure id be using a mineral monograde 30w oil (penzoil do a good one).

the whole idea is that the rings bed in the first 10-20mins while the grit of the hone is still at its best... during this time you want the biggest comb chamber pressure possible, over the widest rpm range as possible. sure, the bearings will be tight, but if its built properly, and with the right oil and pressure etc, you should have zero issues going hard right off the bad. it will feel tight, naturally, and this will oosen up over the next 1500km

(and yes, i realise i flogged my engine a bit harder than this when i was running her in Razz )

PS this is the fundamental method concerning internal engine components - i dont know much about the turbos themselves or how they should be treated)

[Updated on: Mon, 22 March 2004 02:21]

MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Running-in a turbocharged engine.. Mon, 22 March 2004 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah-Ed, you beat me to it. Genrating good cylinder pressure is the key. jump in the car with 4 mates, head to the nearest hill (optimal approach is to actually TOW it there-the bores will glase up as you nanna there through the traffic) and then drive it up in 3rd through the max torque revs, but dont redline or lug it, (vary the revs a bit of course-also do this in 2nd and 4th) with a decent throttle opening and a decent #of PSI in the manifold. This will ensure good cyl pressure and proper bedding in of the rings. 30 minutes of this is enough, and then just be sensible for the next couple of weeks-voila!

As for he turbo-there is no run-in period per se, just whack it on, and from there it's just wearing out.

Take it easy-it should be a really nice car to drive!

Sean
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Running-in a turbocharged engine.. Mon, 22 March 2004 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure if I should be going to the Nationals or not, based on this information. If I can't take my ride, I'm not going. It would break my heart to see that many nice cars being up there without mine and thinking, so close but yet so far. Sad

I had another thought, but don't know if it's worth considering... has anyone run-in their car on a dyno before? What's the deal with this? I hear it only takes two hours, then it's run-in. Confused Anyone want to clarify on this?

I originally got Pennzoil 0W/40 grade, but by the sounds of it I should be using this much later. So the changing of oil intervals - 500km, 1500km and 5000km? It's been a while since I last ran in an engine, and it was completely different to this.

I will have a boost gauge on mine, as well as a turbo timer (which I plan on hooking up to the alarm). Cool
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Running-in a turbocharged engine.. Mon, 22 March 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd follow Ed and Sean's advice, flog the ring out of your new engine for the first 30 minutes or so to bed in the rings, then drive the car sensibly for the next couple of thousand km's. And yes, driving sensibly can include the trip to Dubbo and back. Smile
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Running-in a turbocharged engine.. Mon, 22 March 2004 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree - you need a quick, hi-rev, but avoid generating power from low revs encounter to bed in the rings, then go easy on it until bearing tolerances are at operating gaps (instead of goddam tight).

Also, minimise getting the turbine housing very red hot to prevent the oil getting too runny - you need that thicker oil around the bearings so they wear in evenly. If you've got a decent oil-cooler then ignore this bit - but i'd err on the side of caution and find a hilly bit of highway that lets you wildly vary engines and load but gives you decent airflow.

Also, talk with your engine builder , but i'd avoid running-in an engine with oils that have many friction modifiers

use Penzoil running-in oil for a few hundred kays, dump it and the filter then onto Mobil1 or MobilS for the rest of the engine's life. probably dump the first Mobil fill after 1000k

How was mine run in? on a dyno at the engine builder - who ran it hard enough to start burning the paint next to the dump pipe. Other engines? Tractor - tow'd a roller around the paddock in low gear to keep the revs up. Galant - drive out to BNE airport and cane it around industrial streets until top radiator hose fell off. Cortina - cane it up/down dirt road outside property, constantly going up/down thru the gears. None of these died from stuffed rings - cortina got t-boned, Galant dropped a valve, tractor still running when sold, current 18R has max 5psi difference dry/wet in recent comp test and is at 27000k engine life
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Running-in a turbocharged engine.. Mon, 22 March 2004 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another thing - when 'warming up', don't take the traditional Greek approach of starting the car and letting it idle for an hour before you go anywhere - one of the worst things you can do to a fresh engine Evil or Very Mad
sik sx
Regular

I supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Running-in a turbocharged engine.. Tue, 30 March 2004 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the info..im currently rebuilding my 3sge..so will be running it in in about 2 weeks..im kind of confused tho..half the ppl said to go granny style for a whyle..while the other half are saying to thrash it
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Running-in a turbocharged engine.. Tue, 30 March 2004 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, you're not the only one. Surprised
poombah
Regular

August 2002

Re: Running-in a turbocharged engine.. Wed, 31 March 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in regards to the turbo, its a a rebuilt or 'dry' turbo i was told that before you start the car pull the plugs and crank it over (most likely connected to battery charger) for 30seconds to a minute to get oil up the lines to the turbos before you start it up.

not sure on the accuracy of this information but makes sense in theory.. wet the turbo bearings before they start spinning.
thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Running-in a turbocharged engine.. Wed, 31 March 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im picking my car up 2morro after a rebuild (7mgte)

Do i thrash it or just drive normally? One mechani says thrash it, while the other says take it easy? What should i do?
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Running-in a turbocharged engine.. Wed, 31 March 2004 11:26 Go to previous message
Hi thug,

Glad to see I'm not the only one with this moral dilemma. Check out my other thread here (running-in method).

Some good advice on that page, I'd be going by that too. Nod
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Fitting bucket seat
Next Topic:Need a place that does targa top installations in sydney
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 07:19:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070369243621826 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.