Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
lightest car for a 3SGTE easy swap Mon, 22 March 2004 01:52 Go to next message
Hi all,

I'm rebuilding a 3SGTE motor for my GT4 at the moment. When its in, I'll have my currrent motor spare.

Its in decent condition pushing the 1400kg GT4 to a quick(ish) 15 flat 1/4 mile in standard trim.

I want to buy a cheap car to swap the 3SGTE into to make a fun drag-only car.... I was thinking a SV21 Camry with no rego and engine problems for around $500 or so.. but they weigh around 1228kg, which is not super light.

Are there any other cheap and light cars that the east-west 3SGTE will go into? i don't really feel like converting it to a RWD motor.

Something around 1000kg would be sweet, which could drop down to around 900kg with pretty heavy weight loss.

any suggestions?
  Send a private message to this user    
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: lightest car for a 3SGTE easy swap Mon, 22 March 2004 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have u thought about putting it into a TA23 or RA23? They would be a light car, I think i remember someone saying that they came stock about 900kg's. If this is true once u remove the interior and upgrade the bits needed it should balance out about 1000kg.
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: lightest car for a 3SGTE easy swap Mon, 22 March 2004 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u want front wheel drive then i have to say ae82..... like the pov pak one about 900kg at the most i think they are... but u will have to do the mounts the brakes etc... lots of cost just for fun.
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: lightest car for a 3SGTE easy swap Mon, 22 March 2004 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but I'm a bit concerned about the hassles of getting it to fit in a RWD car...dizzy work etc... engine mounts.... maybe an old Corona with a 2S block might be a better starting point?? I dunno :S

I was thinking the Camry would be easier due to the 3SFE already there.... and the aussie FWD drag racing record top ten starts at 12.20 ET or so (from www.fullboost.com.au) ... would be hell cool to get in there with a budget 3SGTE.

I don't care about relibility etc.. if it blows up, it was only my time and $500 down the drain, no huge loss.

would just be a fun project.

[Updated on: Mon, 22 March 2004 03:32]

tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: lightest car for a 3SGTE easy swap Mon, 22 March 2004 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The ae82 would be a good bet, there's a bloke who used to be around here, havent seen him for a while tho, and he had a 3sgte in an ae82. Name was mikey or something similar from memory, if you can find him, im sure you could ask how hard it was to do.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: lightest car for a 3SGTE easy swap Mon, 22 March 2004 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Note that in Qld and NSW the 2.5x rule applies for turbo engine swaps. This means the lightest car you can put a 3S-GTE into must weigh no less than 800kg from the factory. Most passenger cars weigh more than this though so you're pretty right there. My first choice would be an AE86 or TA22, both of which are around the 950kg mark.
Puffy
Regular

May 2002
Re: lightest car for a 3SGTE easy swap Mon, 22 March 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camry is your best bet. I belive it will also drop into the older Tarago van which would be fun but not fast . Anything eles would require modification which = more $$$. Go the camry but from what I here the auto box wont last too long. At least spares for the camry are aboundant from most wreckers.

spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: lightest car for a 3SGTE easy swap Mon, 22 March 2004 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 22 March 2004 17:10

Note that in Qld and NSW the 2.5x rule applies for turbo engine swaps. This means the lightest car you can put a 3S-GTE into must weigh no less than 800kg from the factory. Most passenger cars weigh more than this though so you're pretty right there. My first choice would be an AE86 or TA22, both of which are around the 950kg mark.

Doesn't really affect me as the car would never be used for the road. So the lighter the better! Smile

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone... i will now go do some research into these swaps... AE86 sounds cool, but I doubt I'd get one (even a rolling shell ) for less than $1K. Plus FWD would be nice due to the easy swap... so SV21 looks like the go... with some serious weight loss.

Its just a fun project to play with when I get bored... i'd like to spend no more than $2000. I have all the engine stuff.. loom, ECU, turbo, manifolds etc etc.
Toml
Regular

March 2004
Re: lightest car for a 3SGTE easy swap Mon, 22 March 2004 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Let us know how well this project goes... my sv21 is boring. Very Happy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: lightest car for a 3SGTE easy swap Mon, 22 March 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want to do it on a mega budget, forget about RWD; you'll have to jam it into a FWD car that already has an S series engine. Early Camry or FWD Celica springs to mind.
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: lightest car for a 3SGTE easy swap Mon, 22 March 2004 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The best cars to use, that wont give you much hassle is the SV21 Camry and the ST162 Celica, obviously the celica will cost more. I think go the Camry Very Happy, since it wont be registered take out the Interior, Race bucket seats, exhaust coming out the side Cool. My mate has just recently dropped in a ST205 3SGTE Group A engine in his sv21 camry Shocked Very Happy, cant wait for Toyota Nationals Cool .

Heres a guy in Brisbane that has a 3sgte sv21 Camry:
http://members.pulsar.org.au/profiledisplay.php?ID =210

94mr2turbo
Regular

April 2003

Re: lightest car for a 3SGTE easy swap Mon, 22 March 2004 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go for the ST162. I think there's a guy trying to sell one with a bad motor on the FastFours Forum for $500. The reason why I say Celica, is coz I always wanted to see a Celica gunning for fastest FWD.......
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: lightest car for a 3SGTE easy swap Mon, 22 March 2004 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe cool Smile

I don't think I'd get fastest FWD by a long shot Smile

Have a look at that orange CRX... absolute weapon constructed from the ground up..

This would be a cheap project for shit and giggles really.

Using one of the online calculators, if the weight can be around 900Kg (stripped camry?), I'll need 300Hp (about 60Hp more than the car is making now) to get a flat 12...

Whats the bet the gearbox frys on the first attempt.

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: lightest car for a 3SGTE easy swap Tue, 23 March 2004 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i really dont think you are going to lose 200-300kgs worth of shite stripping the camry.

Although it is still a fair bit lighter that the GT4, its still heavyish.

How about an SV11? THey are the ugliest heap of shit toyota brought out nearly, but they already have a transverse mounted 2S-E, and may just possibly accept all the 3S-GTE equipment. I would also hazard a guess that they are a fair bit lighter than an SV21 too!

But personally i would stick with the SV21. Much nicer car to begin with, and you can actually street register it with the 3sgte.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: lightest car for a 3SGTE easy swap Tue, 23 March 2004 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how about an aw11... ? i know not a $500 special but im sure yuo could pick up a stuffed one cheap. the 3sgte fits in with an E-W config and you get the rwd ?
celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: lightest car for a 3SGTE easy swap Tue, 23 March 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a mate that just sold a ae82 corolla with 3sgte in it.. it bloody hammered was a weapon.. but it kept on cracking the chassis well whats of it
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: lightest car for a 3SGTE easy swap Tue, 23 March 2004 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Tue, 23 March 2004 11:11

i really dont think you are going to lose 200-300kgs worth of shite stripping the camry.

Although it is still a fair bit lighter that the GT4, its still heavyish.

How about an SV11? THey are the ugliest heap of shit toyota brought out nearly, but they already have a transverse mounted 2S-E, and may just possibly accept all the 3S-GTE equipment. I would also hazard a guess that they are a fair bit lighter than an SV21 too!

But personally i would stick with the SV21. Much nicer car to begin with, and you can actually street register it with the 3sgte.

SV21 CS Povo pack 1280kg's

and SV11 1110kg's
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: lightest car for a 3SGTE easy swap Wed, 24 March 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for 100kg's or so... stick with the SV21.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: lightest car for a 3SGTE easy swap Wed, 24 March 2004 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go-kart + 3S-GTE = quick(ish) Evil or Very Mad
Think about Razz !
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: lightest car for a 3SGTE easy swap Wed, 24 March 2004 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SV21 camry, i agree.

you could EASILY save a cupla hundred kilos outta them. if you don't plan to register it then go to town, cut out the spare wheel well and replace with 0.8mm sheet, lose half the rear suspension (replace the shocks and springs with solid bar - ala TRY09S R33 skyline - that'll save some weight and help traction), fit a smaller fuel tank - like 15L or something, strip the interior to nothing, lose all the stereo gear, wiring, dashboard, seats, carpet, sound deadener etc etc, replace the glass with lexan (ok, so there's a cost there, but you'll save some serious weight and lose the winder mechanisms and locks etc)and fit small cheesecutters to the rear end.

it all adds up in the end, i reckon you could get it hovering close to 1000kgs when finished.

imagine the look of a commonwhore driver getting whooped by a camry! just pop the bonnet and say "mate, it's all std bar the exhaust!" and see what colour their faces go!

good luck!
jinxinferno
Regular

February 2004
Re: lightest car for a 3SGTE easy swap Wed, 24 March 2004 13:35 Go to previous message
this is interesting stuff, my 3sfe is starting to blow a bit of smoke, and with the suspension and tyres i have on it, i reckon the car is still worth hanging onto. i dont suppose you would be willing to sell that 3S-GTE to me would you? or if you do end up doing the swap, take pics and show me how its done. then i'll take on your SV21 any day. Mine is faster because it has dragon seat covers Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:possesed SV21 ECU
Next Topic:Cause of engine seize?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 20:43:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073230266571045 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.