Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Loud ticking from front of engine head

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Asher
Regular

July 2003
Loud ticking from front of engine head Mon, 23 February 2004 05:19 Go to next message
Corona - 22RE
when i start the engine, theres a loud ticking sound coming from
the front of the engine in the head.

Its odd, it'll make the noise but then at like 1000rpm, it will go away but yet below and above it will do it. It goes away but its still faint.

I only just had the head fixed a few months ago.

I'm about to drive this car into a dam.
  Send a private message to this user    
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Loud ticking from front of engine head Mon, 23 February 2004 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Noisy injectors?
Asher
Regular

July 2003
Re: Loud ticking from front of engine head Mon, 23 February 2004 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got them cleaned just after i got head fixed.
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Loud ticking from front of engine head Mon, 23 February 2004 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my motor has a ticking noise from the head aswell, sometimes it seems louder than other times, just chops and changes, sometimes you cannot even hear it. Would be curious to also know what it could be if anyone else knows?
DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Loud ticking from front of engine head Mon, 23 February 2004 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Things I know that make these noises from experience

- lifters or tappet clearences
- fucked vvt unit
- hydrolic tensioners
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Loud ticking from front of engine head Mon, 23 February 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it would be a sticky lifter more than likely. Run some upper cylinder in the fuel and see how you go. Also run some morey's oil stabilizer in your oil. that should fix it.
Asher
Regular

July 2003
Re: Loud ticking from front of engine head Mon, 23 February 2004 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"upper cylinder" ?

Wheres the best place to get "morey's oil stabilizer" from? (just so i'm not running round to supercheap, repco, who might not have it)
RA28midge
Regular

September 2002
Re: Loud ticking from front of engine head Tue, 24 February 2004 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you checked your valve clearances? After having head work done the clearances seem to change at random sometimes after it starts to wear in.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Loud ticking from front of engine head Wed, 25 February 2004 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can get both of those from supercheap or repco mate. Smile

Upper cylinder will help clean out the engine if there is any shit on the valve lifters etc.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 February 2004 10:20]

Asher
Regular

July 2003
Re: Loud ticking from front of engine head Mon, 22 March 2004 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok just incase someone happens to find the search button 1st before posting.

The noise was the timing chain hitting the casing of the engine because the timing chain guide had broken.

Tip for people unsure about cars. If you know your timing chain (kit) hasn't been replaced in quite a while (~60,000kms+) and your going to get engine work done, instead of suggesting for them to replace your timing chain, INSINST for them to change it. Would have saved me a good $550. Mad

Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Loud ticking from front of engine head Mon, 22 March 2004 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a similar knocking problem on my 4AGE, had me going for a while, I changed cams, everything and still couldnt figure it out - then I went to change my fanbelt, and found the bolt holding the alternator bracketto the water pump had snapped inside, it was loose enough to make a noise but snapped in such a way as to hold the bracket in place.. was a relief to find out that all it was.

sam
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Loud ticking from front of engine head Mon, 22 March 2004 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have the same problem with my 3sfe engine with 365,000 ks, and it was rebuilt at 310,000 ks.
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: Loud ticking from front of engine head Mon, 22 March 2004 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a similar thing happen to my 3sgte
A moderatly loud ticking / kocking from what sounded like the engine head. Would appear about about 1500-3000rpm only.
It was actually a loose bearing causing the piston to knock the bottom of the head. I'd advise you not to drive it until you get it checked. Could save you quite alot of money if it is serious.
sik sx
Regular

I supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Loud ticking from front of engine head Tue, 23 March 2004 02:42 Go to previous message
yeah praetor i found out the hard way..i heard the noise..kept driving..and now my engine is sitting in perices in my garage Sad ..im thnking ill maybe get a jap import engine..or a 3sgte..any suggestion or prices woiuld be great thanks
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How much oil needed for 3sgte.
Next Topic:V mount intercooling
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 23:17:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045778751373291 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.