Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sat, 20 March 2004 03:00 Go to next message
The T-series axles are quite expensive already, especially once installed. Any other alternatives?

Alot use a Hilux LSD, do they just use the LSD or whole thing as axles etc? And does it have dics (I have no idea....and cant find much detaile dinfo on conversion).

If not any other ideas or anything I could tear out of another vehicle and makes some mod to fit in AE86?
Supra ones??? etc etc
Maybe even different make than Toyota? What about Silvia ones (no idea once again).

Any chance in fitting something with independant rear suspension settup?? Or impossible etc etc.....

Just lookin at the prices and they seem to be rising like UAI entrance scores for incomplete and damaged units....
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sat, 20 March 2004 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sat, 20 March 2004 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is not much info about alternatives... abit bout Hilux diff but doesnt tell you much.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sat, 20 March 2004 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This topic has been discussed A LOT on this forum. Keep looking.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sat, 20 March 2004 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with about 3 different searches i found about 20 or more individual threads ranging from

hilux to corona to MX23 to skyline.....
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sat, 20 March 2004 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My bad..
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sat, 20 March 2004 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Personally, I'm a fan of MS110/112 Toyota Crown axles. They come factory fitted with disc brakes and are a F series centre, with 27 spline axles. LSD can be fitted easily, but you will need to cut the unit down, and re stud if you want to stay with a four stud pattern.
joeninety
Regular

March 2004
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sat, 20 March 2004 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are talking N/A 4ag and you are in Melbourne there is a dood who makes cheap LSD's to fit into any centre.They are a prety simple thing and cost $250 fitted,and a lot of the rally boys use them.My bro in law has one in a 1200 coupe rally car and swears by it.So ,T-18 diff and rear sect. of tail shaft,r/t141 discs and caliper,and a trip down to Tayell automotive in East Bentleigh should net you everything you are after.This is a good,cheap,light setup that should come in under $400.These things are said to be good for about 200 h/p so serious boosted drift/drag,is probly asking a bit much.P/M me you're phone # if you want to more .
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sun, 21 March 2004 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And I intend to try one of these things in the near future Evil or Very Mad
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sun, 21 March 2004 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting. So this place sells a complete made up center or what?
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sun, 21 March 2004 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
400 bux for a spritner LSD?

man this is awesome!!!

[Updated on: Sun, 21 March 2004 03:26]

mrsoopra
Regular

July 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sun, 21 March 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds too good to be true.. anyone got more info on this?? or tried one of these LSDs?
joeninety
Regular

March 2004
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sun, 21 March 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tayell Automotive .3 Griffith Ave. Bentleigh East VIC
(03)95795529......This thing is not a centre, it is a device thats made up of a couple of plates of steel and 4 springs as far as I could see.I am still yet to drive one ,so I would sudjest calling john at tayell for a full explaination of the thing. He is a top bloke and very happy to talk to folks.I think if you are basicly a hoon on a budjet,this may be gold.If anyone rings him, say Joe put you onto him so I might get a better price if I take that route.Seems mega tight arsed to want a better price , but I am a hoon on a budget.
Joe
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sun, 21 March 2004 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it's better than a welded diff, I want IN! Smile Smile
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sun, 21 March 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This may sound stupid, but I dont understand how u can just lock a diff by welding it. well of course it can be done but how does it work? Like aint parts meant to move for a reason? etc etc...
Ah I guess I am gunna get flamed but oh well....
Alot would say why ask about an LS axle then. I was more after the brakes... (with my current experience/knowledge).. I have been having constant problems with bits in the drum setup.
dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sun, 21 March 2004 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Personally, I'm a fan of MS110/112 Toyota Crown axles. They come factory fitted with disc brakes and are a F series centre, with 27 spline axles. LSD can be fitted easily, but you will need to cut the unit down, and re stud if you want to stay with a four stud pattern.

Is this a solid type housing axle or an Independent type ?
27 spline ?? ..is this a 4.5 ish final drive ratio ??
Cut the unit down ??...what's this ?

cheers
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sun, 21 March 2004 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He means taht stock the axle is too wide and as such needs to be "cut down" in width for it to fit into a sprinter. The spline on the axles has little effect on the final drive gearing from what i know but rather just how many splines the axle/diff interface has.
mrsoopra
Regular

July 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Mon, 22 March 2004 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I called this John guy (who is very helpful).. What it is, is a device made up of a few spacers and 4 high tension springs, which is fitted into the diff center. What it does it evenly distribute the power to both wheels ALL the time. It is not a lock diff, and still has some give for turning etc etc. He said their original design was rated to around 160HP from the flywheel.. Although they are using higher tensile components now, so he said it should be able to cope with a bit more (maybe another 20hp).. They have had GREAT success with it. He is using it in his rally car at the moment. But also on track, moto khana, street etc etc. Generally for street use, you should get a few years use before the springs start to wear out.. but this does depend on how you drive it.. I think this could be a perfect option..
Ok now to the prices . He said if you give him just the center, it will cost you $250.. If you give him the center and housing he will have to disassemble it so it will be about another $50..
Once the springs start to wear out, it costs around $150 to recondition it.

When either the springs wear out, or you push too much power to it, it will just revert back to being an open diff (ie only one wheel will spin)..

I think what we should do is perhaps get in contact with John again and see if we can get enough people interested, if he will do a good price for people that mention Toymods (he said he had 3 calls about it already)..

Cheers

Gaz
mrsoopra
Regular

July 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Mon, 22 March 2004 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and it will take him around 10 days to complete it..

Gaz
45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Mon, 22 March 2004 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is the invention ive been waiting for!!! will it be super sketch in the wet like a welded diff but? (thats the only reason why mine isn't welded, ever hit a pothole full of water in the rain with one??you may understand!)
mrsoopra
Regular

July 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Mon, 22 March 2004 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you floor it in the wet then yes, it will be slippery. it doesn't work like a welded diff. if you drive normally it will be just like a normal open diff.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Mon, 22 March 2004 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, this "LSD" from John sounds interesting - if it works as well as it's meant to, I WANT! Very Happy Only problems are: I'm in Brisbane, and I don't have a diff to use yet. Maybe I can get someone in Melbourne to buy a center for me and have it modded and then sent up to Brisbane Smile

FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Mon, 22 March 2004 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I new someone would invent/create something like this one day.

How do i contact this person, PERHAPS A "GROUP BUY", if someone in Melbourne is willing to do the organising and shipping.
mrsoopra
Regular

July 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Mon, 22 March 2004 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok seems we have a lil bit of interest. I'll call John tomorrow and see what he can do for us all. As for freighting interstate, i'm not sure how much it would cost.. Considering the weight, i think it might cost a bit.. No idea what company to use either. I'll post back here when i get some prices

Cheers

Gaz
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Mon, 22 March 2004 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Gaz
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Mon, 22 March 2004 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I assume he can he also do this for S series?

I am in adelaide and this sounds good. More details needed!
joeninety
Regular

March 2004
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Mon, 22 March 2004 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Last time I talked to John he said he had only seen 2 centres that he could not physicaly fit this thing into (one was a volxy golf from memory), so nearly any centre will accomidate one.I am going to try my bro in laws one this week and tell what i think.May be a bit hard to tell as this car is not much of a grunta.
net nazi
Regular

Forum Moderator

February 2004
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Mon, 22 March 2004 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stay on topic please (off-topic posts deleted) Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 22 March 2004 11:42]

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Mon, 22 March 2004 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you need an S series diff to test it on you can have mine. Only partially rooted.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Mon, 22 March 2004 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrsoopra wrote on Mon, 22 March 2004 14:32

Ok seems we have a lil bit of interest. I'll call John tomorrow and see what he can do for us all. As for freighting interstate, i'm not sure how much it would cost.. Considering the weight, i think it might cost a bit.. No idea what company to use either. I'll post back here when i get some prices

Cheers

Gaz

You can post a complete diff centre around Australia for $50, it comes under their 20Kg limit (a S series centre is 17-18Kgs from memory). Having said that, I'll let everyone know I have a complete S series open centre and T series BOC locker centre for sale, for $50 each, and yes, I'll post directly to the modifier to save you postage costs again if you're interstate.
mrsoopra
Regular

July 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Mon, 22 March 2004 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks CLG.. There is your answer Demuire.. around $50 for postage.

Gaz
TheGecko
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Tue, 23 March 2004 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AusPost is a surprisingly good option for sending parts. I got a set of 15x7 mags (with 205/55 tyres mounted) sent from Melbourne to Brisbane for ~$22/each!

There's a postage calculator on the AusPost website at http://www1.auspost.com.au/pac/aus_parcel.asp. Putting in Fook's postcode as 4059 and 3165 for East Bentleigh, 19-20kg for parcel, and unspecified size; regular parcel $23.40; express post $86.30 . So, less than $50 for return freight - cheap!

Hope this helps,

Dominic
mrsoopra
Regular

July 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Tue, 23 March 2004 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers for that link Gecko.. That'll come in handy around here i think Smile

Gaz
Seadog
Regular

May 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Tue, 23 March 2004 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like the "Phantom Grip" thingy. Is that what it is? Is this guy in Melbourne the Aus distributor or something? Can you guys let me know if it works. I may be interested.
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Tue, 23 March 2004 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
he is a mechanic/engineer..

just modifies the diff.. He custom make the components himself..

rock on.
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Tue, 23 March 2004 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if this ends up being able to be done on an S series, I would be willing to pay someone in melb to get an S series done and shipped to me. I'll make it worth your time and centre! Smile

koen
Regular

March 2004
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Wed, 24 March 2004 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is this the (type of) thing we're talking about?

http://www.minispares.com/ArticleV.cfm?DisplayType =Technical%20Information&DisplayID=1468&SC atagory=GEARBOXES%20%20%20%20%20%20

Seems pretty simple...
mrsoopra
Regular

July 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Wed, 24 March 2004 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like the same idea..

Yes its easy done to S series diff..

Gaz
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Wed, 24 March 2004 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lookie here...
Phantom Grip LSD's

hmm US$349 Smile

and here for a better look at the plates

on a civic

[Updated on: Wed, 24 March 2004 06:15]

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Wed, 24 March 2004 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mrsoopra / Gaz,

Is he interested in a reduced price for a large / batch order ?

Thanks,
Mitch.
PerformanceCars
Regular

November 2003
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Wed, 24 March 2004 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
demuire - if its cheaper maybe us brisbane guys can send down a few together?

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Wed, 24 March 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark: Yep would definately be in for a group send Smile I have to find a diff first... Razz
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Wed, 24 March 2004 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I could be interested aswell. I might even be able to arrange some cheap shipping for us Bris people Very Happy
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Fri, 26 March 2004 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interested here, also local.
4AGE
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Fri, 26 March 2004 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kinda interested too. hard to say unless i drive it before.
But shouldn't this kinda be discussed on the parts for sale now?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Fri, 26 March 2004 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ack, didn't get to drive it last night Crying or Very Sad Hopefully will soon though, I'll letcha know what I reckon Evil or Very Mad
PerformanceCars
Regular

November 2003
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sat, 27 March 2004 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any news on this?
and for us interstate guys, can he just send up the parts and we fit it ourselves? Should be a lot cheaper with less labour and shipping fees..
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sat, 27 March 2004 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What started out as a "don't waste our time, do a search" thread has become a wildfire Smile Smile

Pretty interesting hey Smile
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sat, 27 March 2004 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that looks like a really nasty bit of gear to me, I would (not) like to see the ammount of metal that comes out with the diff oil after time

Allan
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sat, 27 March 2004 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It sure does LOOK pretty frightening... But I'm not going to knock it till I've tried it Shocked
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sat, 27 March 2004 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
these do look dodgey, make sure you understand how they work before you consider to buy.

also looks like u will have to drop the oil about 4 times more often than usual.

in other words talk to these rally guys that swear by them, ask them what they do to look after their diff, how many times they change the centre and/or oil.

otherwise for a cheaply replacable, very available T series with low powered car shouldnt be 'too' bad.

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sun, 28 March 2004 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my only concern is that from the looks of it, (the phantom grip one), it is fully preloaded, and it only locks when the chunk of metal jams between the spider gears when it gets twisted.

this compared to a normal LSD which does not have as much preload, and the "LSD load" increases as acceleration increases...

just seems a bit worrisome that even at slow speeds, and parking, the preload is already there... particularly for in the wet... and i guess that depends on how much actual pre-load action there is?? just seems ass-about Wink

would love to see it tho...
CYa, Stewart
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sun, 28 March 2004 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so it would step out a bit more than an lsd but not as much as a locker, wear quicker, muck up your diff oil quicker - but it doesnt make your axles chirp around roundabouts while the feds are behind you, and it only costs AU$250 plus postage? i would definately be in for that, just use lucas oil stabiliser, and learn to control the extra power over. i'm saving for one of these as of right now! awesome find
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sun, 28 March 2004 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, it means that you have the full 'locking effect' (or should i say friction effect) when driving straight, then you break that friction when enter a corner or one wheel loses traction, and after that the friction decreases (movign friction<static friction), so it's like a poorly locked locker, and it's LSD properties decrease with increasign wheel speed differential..

oh and it wedges itself between the spider gears suddenly to lock the spider gears!!!
i can't wait to hear how it drives in a street car (as opposed to race car)
Cya, Stewart
4AGE
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sun, 28 March 2004 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
U guys are putting me off the whole concept. I jsut thought about the cheapness of it. Anyway I guess i wouldn't opt for it so much. I might as well lock up the diff instead. Less maintainance and crapping around. I don't like the thought of jamming things between gears.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sun, 28 March 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking at it, it does seem a little flawed... But I won't rag it just yet. I'll be interested to pull it out of the car, have a look at it, look at the oil, etc. as well as driving it, see if it really does work backwards, as it would appear...
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Thu, 01 April 2004 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any progress on this subject.
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Thu, 01 April 2004 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think we are all too chicken to try it Laughing Laughing ..

But in all seriousness, if I get my hands on an S series diff center, and have a lazy 250.. I would

rock on.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sat, 03 April 2004 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys, still havent managed to collar the guy with the rally car and driveit / look at it yet, but I HAVEN'T forgotten!
fangsport
Regular

January 2004
Re: 86: Alternatives to T-series rear-end for LSD & discs? Sat, 03 April 2004 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
when you guys say he only need the diff centre , are you refferring to the crown wheel/spider-gear carrier or the whole diff head. why i ask is sending a whole diff head to Australia would be rather expensive.
if he is doing a few T series units, could someone inquire as to whether he can supply it in kit form.

i am very interested.
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1JZ TT cruise control actuator on ST185
Next Topic:1JZ - 2JZ Diffs...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:51:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0085809230804443 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.