Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Interior repair...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Beserker99
Regular

January 2004
Interior repair... Mon, 15 March 2004 09:49 Go to next message
Just a small question here O_o

What kind of paint that people would reccommend to respray interior plastics?

My plastic on an AE86 driver's side coloumn is sun damaged and it is discoloured. I was wondering if there was a way to fix this, whether it be to paint or some other form.

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Interior repair... Mon, 15 March 2004 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vinyl dye from autobarn/supercheap

10 bucks a can

not paint, dye
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Interior repair... Mon, 15 March 2004 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I tried some of the products.. not half bad..

I used it to spray the interior trim on my old rx7....
It didn't crack or fade that badly (only over a few months though)...

the only place where it wore down was around the center console where your knees rubbed.. But then again, it was a pretty tight squeez in the rx7.. It's more like a cockpit cocoon type thingy so the side of my knee was always leaning on it.

definitely recommend it if it's just for that bit.

rock on.
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Interior repair... Mon, 15 March 2004 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With a real good clean up using prepwash or equivalent and some plastic primer you'll find that the paints won't peel/crack at all, however i havn't used the dyes so i don't know abou them.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Interior repair... Mon, 15 March 2004 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've used a few, give them a good clean, make sure it's nothing harsh as it might affect the plastic.
Beserker99
Regular

January 2004
Re: Interior repair... Tue, 16 March 2004 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks people, been a great help ^_^

I'll goo out this week and give your sugestions a try.

Cheers all!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Interior repair... Tue, 16 March 2004 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VHT vinyl dye
I'm most of the way through completely restoring my entire interior, and this stuff has worked absolute magic, especially in turning the pink door handles into black ones!
sik sx
Regular

I supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Interior repair... Sun, 21 March 2004 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i havent tryed the dye but i hear it works well..i didnt know if it worked so whehn i idd mine about 2 weeks ago i brought prepsol or prep wash make sure u get that other wise it wont stick as well..and i used metal grade paint was 11 a can..its ment for spraying mags and hubs..but i used to for some parts on my dash and it turned out great..maybe also put a cvlear over it..i didnt..but if u wanna be safe..good luck
SLY16V
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Interior repair... Mon, 22 March 2004 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or you could try 2pack paint, or though i havent tried the dye but that vinyl spray is absulute crap..my dash is painted in 2pack and it looks awesome and is hard wearing...
all you need is some flexi-prime plastic primer and get you plastics colour match then paint them...

cheers
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Interior repair... Mon, 22 March 2004 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the dye doesn't scrape off - trust me here, this stuff is the bomb.
was also used for dying my brother's speakers black, and a friend's carpet, and we're considering using it on a leather jacket
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: Interior repair... Mon, 22 March 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so you could use th VHT die on the fabric of the seats?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Interior repair... Mon, 22 March 2004 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would assume so. I cant say from practical experience, but it has done everyhting elese the can claims.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Interior repair... Mon, 22 March 2004 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For the plastic dash/consol parts if they are cleaned properly you can spray it on and it doesn't come off. I re did the interior of my sprinter with it and being tall my knees were always rubbing the door trims and window winder, a good 10 months of daily driving in the non-air conditioned comfort that was my sprinter it didn't start falling apart at all. Very Happy
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Interior repair... Mon, 22 March 2004 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool, sounds like this vynil dye is the stuff to use on my MA61 interior. Smile

Also sounds like a cheats way to redo the carpet in black - cos its a very faded grey colour at the moment !!!!

Draven,
Did you use it on the carpet of your door trims as well ?

Cheers

Michael B
nomuken
Regular

November 2003
Re: Interior repair... Mon, 22 March 2004 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go lo - $2 spray paint Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 22 March 2004 20:53]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Interior repair... Mon, 22 March 2004 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my door trim carpets were already very nicely black, but I have dyed a friend's floor carpets with it.
just remember: the longer the pile of the carpet, the bigger pain in the arse it will be to make sure it all gets dyed
Beserker99
Regular

January 2004
Re: Interior repair... Wed, 24 March 2004 09:42 Go to previous message
Hey all,

I managed to go check out my local auto store today after Tafe, and found a few close colours for my Sprinter's interior. I was just wondering if anyone knows what colour the dark blue Sprinter interior is closer to?

So far I think VHT's Satin Blue seems quite close, but was looking for peoples opinions?

Thanks.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:NSW»OBBEY THE LAW OR DIE
Next Topic:Keep the Soarer or get a Corolla Sportivo or GTR?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 22:00:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049779415130615 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.