Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Classifieds » Miscellaneous » Hilux Diffs (Early Model)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
AuthorTopic
QIK 3SGTE
Regular

September 2003
Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Tue, 23 March 2004 00:37 Go to next message
Hi

Just to let everyone know I have finally found a place that has early model hilux diffs (the perfect opnes for early celica conversions). They in South Australia and have numerous for sale. Quite cheap as well.
  Send a private message to this user  
Snyper
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Tue, 23 March 2004 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Care to share ?!
I'm in south australia and could do with one of these diff's....
name and contact number would be great.
and what diff do I exactly need to fit in a ta23?

Brendon
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Tue, 23 March 2004 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pm me details also Very Happy thanks
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Tue, 23 March 2004 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jack depending on cost! get 2 sent up when you order yours

cheers

craig
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Tue, 23 March 2004 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have two axles from early Hilux's, one from a RN25, the other a RN27. They measure 1370mm drum face to drum face. This series Hilux ran from 1972 to 1978. You don't want the rear axle from a RN30 78-85(?) Hilux.
Any price at $100 or less is a bargin. A place in Perth is selling one for $440.
Cheers,
Mitch.
QIK 3SGTE
Regular

September 2003
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Tue, 23 March 2004 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just Wrecking Toyotas
Cnr South Rd & South Tce Wingfield SA 5013
ph: 1300 668 667 Auto Parts Recyclers

I spoke to a fella there early this morning and I am buying a pair of axles from a RN25 for $90. Thats for the pair. I dont need the complete diff but he has them as well and are cheap. Give him a buzz.

He asked me how many I needed and I asked him how many he has got. He went and checked and came back to say he has 23 all up.

So for the last month or so I have searched hi and low to find some of these diffs/axles, called 50+ wreckers Australia wide and it came down to one person with the lot.

Good luck!
Snyper
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Tue, 23 March 2004 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No shit ?!
haha, I bought my celica from one of the guys that works there a few yearsago....

might have to go show him what I did to his celica.

Brendon
QIK 3SGTE
Regular

September 2003
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Tue, 23 March 2004 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah for sure, give him a lok.

by the way, i was just watching hi performance imports dvd no 7 and when they at the drag strip in sa running keir wilson's GTR and some other r33 gtr there was a 22 ling up behind. thought it was yours. should check it out mate.

anyway have a good one.

oh, and the diff you need is any hilux one from 1968-78 model which that wreckers have. They are the ideal width,m just means you need to get the mounts changed over.
Snyper
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Tue, 23 March 2004 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah that's my car, it's ta23 though but yeah, it's famous, haha
a mate pointed that out to me and lent it to me. at that stage it had a 2tg 3t hybrid, ran a 15.8
now have a 1ggte currently at 14.5 with traction probs.
I went to the drags last week, and actually got put up against tyhat skyline ! what a joke, I just let him go then I took off about 5 secs later... he ended up running a 9.8 or something ! haha

so anyway, the diff, I'd just need to reweld the mounts on ?
what about brakes and handbrakes etc ?
and is it LSD capable ?! hehe

Brendon
QIK 3SGTE
Regular

September 2003
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Tue, 23 March 2004 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah mate, definitely lsd capable, go have a look one will most probably be lsd anyway.
Snyper
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Tue, 23 March 2004 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how would I know if it would be lsd ?
and a rough idea on the prices he quoted you ?

Brendon
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Tue, 23 March 2004 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Snyper
when ya turn the axles they both spin the same way
also i might get you to find me a good one Razz

what tail shaft??

custom?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Tue, 23 March 2004 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im with craig here... DEFINITELY interested.

Craig, if you want, let me know when you want to order and we'll get them sent to the same place if it saves on shipping costs. I can then deliver to you for the meagre cost of petty with the trailer in tow Razz

Yes, im also interested to know about the yoke - same/similar to T series type?

That $90 he quoted, was that with shiping?
QIK 3SGTE
Regular

September 2003
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Tue, 23 March 2004 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$90 for the axles only, plus $10 shipping makes for cheap axles considering they are rare as and a guy in WA wanted $200 for 1. Anyway good luck to everyone. Always knew that I would find the person that had the big collection of these babies.
Malkomv2.0
Regular

May 2002
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Wed, 24 March 2004 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
before putting an lsd from a hilux in you celica, talk to gianttomato, he used a supra lsd, apparntly it worked heaps better. I use a hilux 4.8 in my rally car and it needs to be re-shimmed every season.
sam_
Regular

December 2002

Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Thu, 25 March 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Guys,

Organising a group buy??

Would be interested in the RN25 diff if complete drum to drum with the LSD, depending on price delivered of course.

Let us know, best to email us pootaguru@yahoo.com

Thanks Toymods dewds. Sam.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Thu, 25 March 2004 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
karl rang up, they want 350 per diff plus $90 postage
Snyper
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Thu, 25 March 2004 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
were they lsd aswell ?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Thu, 25 March 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most likely not... the dude didnt go check it out at the time, was too busy, and he didnt call me back either....

He said he can bundle prices if we like.... give him a call - its only the cost of a local anywhere in australia (1300 number)
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Thu, 25 March 2004 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i realy doult it as they didntcome stard back then with lsds unless someone has modded it
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Fri, 26 March 2004 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$350 each and not with LSD as that was never standard in a RN25.
This is well and truly above usual going rate for these diff's and word must be spreading about how popular they are.
Mitch.
QIK 3SGTE
Regular

September 2003
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Fri, 26 March 2004 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mitch, I dont think it is well and truly above going rate, you cant find one in the country, this fella has 20 of them and he is asking a reasonable price I would of thought. How much did that guy want for the axles when you asked him for me??
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Fri, 26 March 2004 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its a (very general) rule of thumb (at least in WA), that a complete rear axle for just about every common car goes for about $100, and that is what I bought my first RN25 one for, and the guy was kind enough to throw in the tailshaft as well. This was a private sale through the Trading Post fee ad fish wrappers.

Before this I even tried buying a complete RN25/27 just to wreck it for the axle, but could not get one for less than $400.

I then tried the wreckers last year and struck out completely for 6 months until one guy finally got one in, and he wanted $330 for it. I bought that, and a heap of 15 x 6 Soarer rims off him and managed to haggle that price down to $250, but to me, that is too much for one of these, but this wrecker is the only one who had one.

Now, last month, I rang around again for you and yet again, this same guy is the only one with one, and he now wants $440 for it.
My bloke tells me that the Mazda rotary mods boys love these axles for RX3's/R100's and Series one RX7's and they keep the original 4.9 open centre final drive as it suits a rotary's engine power and torque curves.

Now I reckon that this other guy, the one with 20 of them, knows this as well and has upped his price accordingly. $350 including shipping to anywhere in mainland OZ would be more reasonable I guess, and $250 to buy one from him and put it on your trailer at his yard. For $350 you should be able to get a complete ute, and sell the motor and g/box for $250 and then you are left with a rear axle that owes you $100. Maybe I am a cheep bastard, but it just seems pricey, both there and here in WA.
Mitch.

[Updated on: Fri, 26 March 2004 04:24]

QIK 3SGTE
Regular

September 2003
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Tue, 30 March 2004 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to say that I got my axles today. Opene the box up and they look like new. No wear marks or damage on the splines.
Only a week now til the diff is in and nice and short. Come on fat rubber so I can get some traction
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Tue, 30 March 2004 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well done Jack, those big G series axles make the T's look like toothpicks !
Time for some A008's on the rear and the traffic light grand prix !
Cheers,
Mitch.
Perth WA.
QIK 3SGTE
Regular

September 2003
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Tue, 30 March 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I am stoked. Been over to Craft Differentials to plan it all out. Starting out as a 1410mm Hilux rear with drums, it will now be a Hilux rear with sprinter discs and calipers. This works out because, using the rn25 axles (1370mm hilux) and shortening by 20mm(unused spline) deletes 40mm overall from both axles and a further 40mm because they are the shorter axles to start with.
Plus, using the sprinter calipers and discs rather than the hilux drums, reduces another 25mm from each end.

So the new diff bolted in complete will be 1280mm wide and with my 15x8 superlites running 255 inside the guards, I will have some traction!
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Tue, 30 March 2004 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jack,
You have lost me a bit here mate !
You are lopping 20mm off each RN25 axle, yes (lets say 1370mm down to '1330mm')....?
Then 80mm overall from the 1410mm (RN30?) Hilux axle, making it '1330mm' as well....(do I follow this so far) ?
And then the Sprinter rotors reduce the width compared to the drums, by 50mm overall, thus giving you a 1280mm (TA22 spec) rear axle, wheel mounting face to wheel mounting face, yes ?
Don't get me wrong here mate, but isnt 1280mm the TA22 rear track, and not the face-to-face distance ?
Don't you want, something like 1336mm face-to-face for a TA22, because the track is 1280mm, and the std steel wheels offset is 28mm ?
(Granted you have custom rims going onto this, but do you need it near original spec for licencing ?)
To save the expence here I would consider leaving the 1370 axles alone (not reducing the spline), shorten the RN30 axle housing by only 40mm, (so it suits the 1370mm axles - same as just using a RN25 complete axle anyway) and then fit the Sprinter rotors.This would give you 1320mm face-to-face, some 16mm less than the std TA22 spec, allow you to fit deeper dish rims, and with just the std TA22 steels rims on it, give a track of 1264mm, (obviously) 16mm less than std, and legal for the inspectors, who might be very surprised that you have in fact reduced the track (by less than the [WA] limit of 25mm) rather than increased it ?
Or do I have this completely wrong mate ?
Cheers,
Mitch.
PS: Looking at this again, just putting the Sprinter rotors on a RN30 1410mm axle reduces this to 1360mm, which just happens to be 14mm less than the standard RA23/28 drum face to drum face measurement of 1374mm, (track 1310mm plus std offset of 32mm). And 1360mm is just 24mm above the standard 1336mm of a TA22 axle, again making that inside the legal limit in WA at least, but you might have wheel clearance issues with a track increase like this. And I am assuming here that the 1410 hilux axle you are starting with is the face to face dimension, not the track.

[Updated on: Tue, 30 March 2004 04:36]

joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Tue, 30 March 2004 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd be interested in a group buy but i need to research more into what hilux diff i would need. its bloody confusing.
anyone organising the group buy?
QIK 3SGTE
Regular

September 2003
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Thu, 01 April 2004 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi mitch

Sorry, I didnt see you had replied. mate, my superlites have the perfect offset at the rear. With the diff in place and the wheels on, originally they stuck out the guards about 40mm. When measuring from the inside edge of the wheel to the wheel tub, there was a gap of 97mm. So I can afford to narrow te diff heavily to accomodate for my deep dish
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Fri, 02 April 2004 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jack,
No worries mate, glad you have it all sorted out now.
The best way to tackle diff mods is exactly what you have done, measure the things on your car with your rims of choice and work
it out from there.
Good luck with it all mate.....Dubbo is looming !
Smile
Cheers,
Mitch.
QIK 3SGTE
Regular

September 2003
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Fri, 02 April 2004 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah mate thats it. when people start talking offsets and track and blah blah blah I get confused myself, cos I would rather just look and measure myself. All right for you smarties!!

On the side, wonder if those 16" Simmons that focal is seeling from WA will be an alright fit on my car. Going to measure this arvo. Might have to tee something up with you again if I buy. 16" have a heaps better range of tyres.

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Fri, 02 April 2004 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not a worry mate, I will help if I can. I'm just a glutton for punishment !
Smile
Mitch.
badboybubby
Regular

On Probation

March 2004
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Tue, 25 January 2005 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just rang the guy and hes got no idea "nah mate got nothing that early" so forget your group buy Crying or Very Sad
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Hilux Diffs (Early Model) Tue, 25 January 2005 05:25 Go to previous message
Dude, as others have eluded too, you need to look at the dates of threads when using the search function - unfortunately they don't get locked when they become old and irrelevent. Don't stress about it, you're not the first and won't be the last to get caught, but a PM or email to the poster you wish to reply to is more appropriate when searching for threads, that have dropped off the first couple of pages - it's also courtesy to the current thread Authors.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic:FS: Hilux Diff + Detroit
Next Topic:GEAR BOX FOR SALE?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 01:14:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057179927825928 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.