Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Andy_H
Regular

October 2003
ra28 offset Wed, 24 March 2004 10:44 Go to next message
i went to look at some wheels on the weekend, i want some 17inch lenso wheels, but the wog says i need spacers, can anyone show me what the spacers look like, i should be able to get some made up instead of paying $100 for them.
also i need to know the offset of and ra28.
what sort of wheels does everyone have on there celicas??
  Send a private message to this user    
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: ra28 offset Thu, 25 March 2004 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The offset you need will depend on the width. Standard offset for an RA28 with 14x5.5" wheels is 32mm.
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ra28 offset Thu, 25 March 2004 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought the standard offset for an RA28 was 27mm. At least that was what the guy at the wheel place said.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: ra28 offset Thu, 25 March 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pretty sure its 27mm. but prove me wrong if I am.

Spacers are generally illegal on a road car.

Another option is to have spacers welded to the wheel so they are part of the wheel. if you do this (depending on the rim) you may need to install longer wheel studs.

Or get a set of Simmons or ROH Rims that can be made to order.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: ra28 offset Thu, 25 March 2004 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
27mm is a RWD Corolla/Sprinter offset, it's definately 32mm, it's stamped into the original steel wheels.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: ra28 offset Thu, 25 March 2004 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lambolica,
I'm here to prove you wrong Smile . Its 100% what CLG said, 32mm as stamped on the original steel rims, after the size markings.
And, I have double checked this by taking backspace and rim width measurements as well. And if you still don't believe us, try the factory RA28 specification of 1310mm rear track and the drum face to drum face measurement of 1374mm, measured and confirmed.

Andy,
Sounds like he is trying to sell you FWD/offset wheels. I tried one on my car out of interest once and it fouled the front strut, badly. I have 15 x 6 Soarer rims with 20mm offset on my RA23, which has increased my track by 24mm overall, and 25mm is the legal limit here in WA. I have no fouling/width issues with these rims, but they are still on the small side for most peoples taste.

Generally speaking, as you increase your wheel diameter and width you have to reduce your offset to keep your track close to original, your rims inside the guards, and not foul anything with the back edge of the wheel (struts/shocks etc), ie. keeping the backspace consistent. So, if you are looking for perhaps 7 inch wide rims you will need something like 8mm offset and providing they don't foul on anything and stay inside your guards you will be right. I can't recommend a suitable rim like this offhand.

And having said that, as there is little support from wheel makers for old RWD cars these days, a set of custom 3 piece Simmons wheels built to your specifications for offset and backspacing, may be the best option to consider. But think $$$.

Steve M - sounds to me like you may have been quoted TA22 offset which I think is 27 / 28 mm.

Cheers,
Mitch.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 March 2004 05:39]

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: ra28 offset Thu, 25 March 2004 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CLG wrote on Thu, 25 March 2004 14:41

27mm is a RWD Corolla/Sprinter offset, it's definately 32mm, it's stamped into the original steel wheels.

I don't doubt it, but the "Universal Tyre Fitment Guide" has 27mm for all Celica 1976 to 1983.

It seems though that it is an error on their part, and +32 it is !!

Cheers

Michael B

PS. Don't buy a set of rims that need spacers. Get a proper set to start with
flynn21atwork
Regular

November 2003
Re: ra28 offset Thu, 25 March 2004 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are many people running the 4 spoke chrome Dragways? I've seen these on an RA28 before and they looked awesome. I definately want a set but I've just gone the Pug/Hilux/Corona brake conversion and was wondering if they would still fit....
Cheers,
Steve
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: ra28 offset Thu, 25 March 2004 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Lambolica,
I'm here to prove you wrong . Its 100% what CLG said, 32mm as stamped on the original steel rims, after the size markings.
And, I have double checked this by taking backspace and rim width measurements as well. And if you still don't believe us, try the factory RA28 specification of 1310mm rear track and the drum face to drum face measurement of 1374mm, measured and confirmed.

Yes You are right... My bad. Embarassed
I realised that when I got home last night. I had a Sprinter and a Celica at the same time and realised it was the sprinter I was trying to get rims for.

I'm going back to my corner now.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: ra28 offset Fri, 26 March 2004 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm going to pull my head in too now mate, I just realised that my reply was a bit harsh......my bad too. My conversion is going slower than I would like, and I'm growing into a grumpy old man !
Cheers,
Mitch.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: ra28 offset Fri, 26 March 2004 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No worries mate, I asked to prove me wrong, I don't have a photographic memory for those things. I didn't take it harshly. Smile
Andy_H
Regular

October 2003
Re: ra28 offset Fri, 26 March 2004 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the info guys, i think i will rethink my wheels. i wanted to get the car engineered with the wheels on it but i guess i'll do that later.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: ra28 offset Fri, 26 March 2004 04:58 Go to previous message
ra23celica wrote on Fri, 26 March 2004 08:49

I'm growing into a grumpy old man!

There's nothing wrong with growing into a grumpy old man, ..., my girlfriend tells me I'm heading that way every day, ..., and she's right!!! Is this where I break into my common sense, logic, and "give and take" speech?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:hilux motor
Next Topic:MX73 Cressida questions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 24 00:20:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045061111450195 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.