Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Layoric
Regular

August 2003

MA70 Question - Aero Top Tue, 16 March 2004 03:10 Go to next message
Hey all,

Just wondering if any one has the same experience with the aero top. Even before buying it i knew when taking the top off the car would want to flex etc, but it's pretty bad, bumps and slightly hard corners will set off my door lights and just doesn't feel that good when driving with the top off. Any of have any good tips for bracing, whats the most effective etc? Thanks.

Darren.
  Send a private message to this user    
adamb131
Regular

September 2003

Re: MA70 Question - Aero Top Tue, 16 March 2004 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have this problem with my T-topped MR2... hard cornering with the roofs out caused the doors to pop ajar. I have front and rear strut-tower braces! I have been told there is no real solution for it. It is just a question of do you prefer t-tops or chassis rigidity... It is for this reason I'm selling my T-top'd and getting a solid roof.
Supraman
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: MA70 Question - Aero Top Tue, 16 March 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I have the same problem with my MA70. The only help I can give you is if your car has the tems control then set it to sports mode instead of normal suspension.

It will help the problem a little.

If there is a better solution I would certainly like to here it.

Cheers
Darren
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70 Question - Aero Top Tue, 16 March 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A better solution? Full rollcage (cross-braced of course), or just weld on a roof. Razz
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MA70 Question - Aero Top Tue, 16 March 2004 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My '86 MA70 wasn't that bad, but it did feel a bit bendy. My current one ('91 GTL) there is NO FLEX at all (even with the manual V8!). Its beautiful. Don't know what Toyota did to fix it, or maybe it was fixed in Japan before being imported.

Definately put it in sports mode suspension.

Theres a 'do-luck' brace that goes behind the front seats that is supposed to help too.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70 Question - Aero Top Wed, 17 March 2004 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did read of guys in Japan filling the sills with urethane foam (2-pack type) to make them stiffer. An interesting experiment to try.....

Pete - I wonder what the differences between the 86 and 91 were? I guess you never had the chance to look under both?
HKS_TRD
Regular

September 2002
Re: MA70 Question - Aero Top Wed, 17 March 2004 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFAIK there is some extra bracing in the rear end of the facelifted 88.5 on cars, two longitudinal bars running from the rear subframe to the body IIRC

Dan
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MA70 Question - Aero Top Wed, 17 March 2004 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I think Dan must be correct. Unfortunately I didn't check myself.

I even had the both of them in my driveway for a few months, my GF had a grin on her face whenever she was going anywhere as she drove my '86. Looked damn sexy in it too... anyway I digress.
Layoric
Regular

August 2003

Re: MA70 Question - Aero Top Thu, 25 March 2004 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't suppose there is any ways of getting and fitting these bars? Crying or Very Sad
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MA70 Question - Aero Top Thu, 25 March 2004 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You fit them with the tools supplied and a socket wrench.

Getting them, you'll have to find them somehow.
Layoric
Regular

August 2003

Re: MA70 Question - Aero Top Fri, 26 March 2004 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It would only be the aero-tops that had these bars i take it? Looks like i'll just have to leave the roof 99% of the time until i find some. Thanks for the info guys!
HKS_TRD
Regular

September 2002
Re: MA70 Question - Aero Top Fri, 26 March 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the hardtops had these bars also post 8/88 ie when the MA70 was facelifted. I am not sure but I believe the older crossmemeber will not have the mounting points for these bars. BTW HKS PETE did you have any bits from the FCon left over?
Layoric
Regular

August 2003

Re: MA70 Question - Aero Top Fri, 26 March 2004 07:24 Go to previous message
Do you think they would still go on easy enough? hmmm will have to ask around wreckers for some, thanks dude!

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Help On Guages
Next Topic:Intake Resonator Purpose
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 17 20:32:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004288911819458 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.