Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » cold idle problems...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
kidgod
Occasional Poster

July 2002
cold idle problems... Sat, 10 August 2002 04:25 Go to next message
ok when the engine is cold (2T, '75 celica) it will not idle! you have to sit there for 4-6 mins holding the car over 1500rpm or it dies. my friend thought it could be the choke he had a look and found that a hose was missing, repaced that , it helped a bit but not much. this is becoming a real problem as im still at school and i am copping shit about having to warm up the car before i can do anything. oh one more thing. when the car will idle after i take off it is still sluggish. but after a hundred meters or so it comes good.

any1 know how to fix this?
  Send a private message to this user    
Z1Soarer
Occasional Poster

July 2002

Re: cold idle problems... Sat, 10 August 2002 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
turn your idle up?
and get the choke/thermostat checked properly
kidgod
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: cold idle problems... Mon, 19 August 2002 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when warm idles at 1000rpm not the problem might get the choke and thermostat checked
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: cold idle problems... Tue, 20 August 2002 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have the same problem with my celica (2T) now since having the extractors fitted.

check the pipe that goes thru the exhaust manifold to make sure its not cracked - there are two hoses that go to it - a small dia one from the side of the carb to the front and a large diameter one around the back. make sure these are connected and not cracked.

second - i'd pull the large dia hose off the carb - see if its sucking air in? - you'll know when you remove the hose u get great induction noise!

whats the position of the choke flap in the carby anyway - might be stuck open!

there is a black thing on the side of the carb with 3 screws holding it in - this MAY need adjusting - you can rotate this device somewhat its got a spring inside (maybe pull it off to see if the spring is not broken?)

mine is a dog to start, requires pumping of the pedal to keep it going for about 30 seconds, then, idles at 500rpm (just ticking over, literally). on driving it when its cold its very very surgy until its warmed up, once warm is good as gold - idles at 700rpm no problems. (bearing in mind this state of tune if you like is self induced (who needs chokes?))

Dragunov_RA60
Regular

May 2002

Re: cold idle problems... Tue, 20 August 2002 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I too have this problem. When really cold it idle VERY low, wants to die. Once warmed up its ok. I should reconnect the warm air intake.
ae102_3sgte
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: cold idle problems... Tue, 20 August 2002 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shut off the car.

Go to the carb. Open the throttle(and hold it open).

Now try to move the choke flap (the one at the top of the throat).

It should be free. If it is not free, blast it with a spray can of choke and linkage cleaner. Also clean the fast idle linkage.

Once it is free, put a couple of drops of lube on the choke shaft where it goes through the carb body, plus the fast idle linkage. I like to use ATF as it does not seem to gum up or dry up.
(WD-40 just dries up and goes away)

Please get back and let us know what works.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: cold idle problems... Tue, 20 August 2002 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes Dragunov, you will find the Magnatec helps give the 21R-C some driveability when it starts up!
Chris_RA60
Regular

May 2002
Re: cold idle problems... Tue, 20 August 2002 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, you should warm up the car anyway, so it's no big problem
Celica_RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: cold idle problems... Tue, 20 August 2002 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
advance your ignition timing.

i was having cold idle probs with my EFI motor after its rebuild

i had made the mistake of seting it to fire on top dead centre instead of 12 degrees before

set the ignition to 12 degrees before top dead centre and it is beautiful now.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: cold idle problems... Tue, 20 August 2002 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well obviously you let it warm up a bit, but for how long are you going to sit there? I know just idling my car takes ages to fully heat up.
Dragunov_RA60
Regular

May 2002

Re: cold idle problems... Tue, 20 August 2002 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 20 August 2002 9:23 PM

Yes Dragunov, you will find the Magnatec helps give the 21R-C some driveability when it starts up!

woohoo! driveablity here i come!!
kidgod
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: cold idle problems... Wed, 21 August 2002 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok im pretty much mechanically inept so a few things.

Grega i have exctractors as well so no pipes coming off them, also couldent find any thing u were talking about.

ae102_3sgte ok so air filter is off looking at the top of the carb, choke flap? butterfly style thing? also what is ATF is that what its called or is it initals for something?

i have a timing light but dont know how to use it. help, so that i can change the timing.

i will always warm up the car but to get it to the state of idleing when its cold at the moment requiers 1-2 minutes of 1500+ rpm to stop the car from dieing!! so its getiing a bit annoying.

once it starts idleing smothly i drive off but the car still doenst rev smothly for around 2-3 minutes of driving. and feels slugish, sort of like its getting too much fuel and flooding it.

im going to try what ae102_3sgte said and see if that helps.

get back to use in a few days.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: cold idle problems... Wed, 21 August 2002 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kidgod, yer i know, email me : gwinfiel@bigpond.net.au- i'll take off the aircleaner and show you where the problem is.

as you have the extractor setup i don't think your auto choke will function now and am not sure if it can be made to now that the heat pipe is gone.
ae102_3sgte
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: cold idle problems... Wed, 21 August 2002 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ATF = Automatic transmission fluid ie. Dexron III

Yes, the "butterfly" would be what I am referring to. Is it free?
(pls remember it may be necessary to open the throttle)
kidgod
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: cold idle problems... Sat, 24 August 2002 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
only 1 prob' Grega. u live in melbourne i live in mackay. thats like a 2000 k difference.
havent had a chance to check the choke flap(or whatever) going to this afternoon(saturday). get back to u on monday afternoon.

whats the spring loaded screw on the left hand(looking from the front of the car) side of the carby? cause i played with that and it starts idleing a bit quicker now, not much though, also dosnt feel as sluggish when cold.

any help with the timing light?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: cold idle problems... Sat, 24 August 2002 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know
i'll email u a digital photo of it!
kidgod
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: cold idle problems... Tue, 27 August 2002 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok. choke butterfly is free. no probs there. on thing i noticed when i was looking at that was that the left'barrel' (looking down from the front of the car.) the side without the choke flap is dead dry. even at full throttle it is dry. dont know if this is normal. also with the car running and the choke flap closed the car dies. after i did it i realised that it wasnt a good idea as it would of made the engine run very rich for a few seconds.
Grega. my email is: walkerspyder@hotmail.comif u needed it.
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: cold idle problems... Tue, 27 August 2002 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i once had a cold idle problem, took off the rocker cover and adjusted the clearance between the tapers and valves found them to be a bit loose and that caused it to start much nicer and run much smoother when they were set correct
kidgod
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: cold idle problems... Sat, 07 September 2002 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok. a friend came over and ripped apart my carby cleaned everything and the car is running good still takes some revving to get it to idle at cold but only for like 30 secs. thanks for all your help guys.
pepsicola
Forums Junkie

August 2002

Re: cold idle problems... Sat, 07 September 2002 04:54 Go to previous message
One of my friend's car has cold idle problem with his car also, can you guys help him out?
It's a AE86, 4AGZE, Microtech ECU, fuel system: pre-pump, surge tank, main pump.
It's just doesn't have cold idle. Is it a missing wire somewhere.
Thanks.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:jamming 2tg cam
Next Topic:Ae86 suspension bushing
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 16:29:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058481693267822 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.