Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Pod Filter on carby Sat, 27 March 2004 01:31 Go to next message
Would this screw anything up, the mechanic i work with said it would, but would it? cause i can get free piping in filter from work, so why not do it ay!( oh yeh 4KC )
  Send a private message to this user    
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Pod Filter on carby Sat, 27 March 2004 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what type of carby setup - a downdraft , or side draft ..

if sidedraft - just make up a sealed airbox to bolt to the carby - then run say a 60mm flex tube pipe to behind the lights and mount a boxed pod on that ..

Simple , but really a waste of cash for a 4K..

TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: Pod Filter on carby Sat, 27 March 2004 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a down draft
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Pod Filter on carby Sat, 27 March 2004 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how do you plan to mate a pod to a downdraft , out of curiousity ?
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: Pod Filter on carby Sat, 27 March 2004 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some pipes n cable ties should do it Razz i thought i could just stick a pipe on top with a bend and some more piping going to the head light part Rolling Eyes
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: Pod Filter on carby Sat, 27 March 2004 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just take the air filter out of the tennis raqueit looking thingy on top of the carb n run some piping from the inlet (handle) down to a pod near the light
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Pod Filter on carby Sat, 27 March 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or ya could just not worry about it and not waste ya money on a point less mod!

Confused
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Pod Filter on carby Sun, 28 March 2004 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What are you trying to achieve?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Pod Filter on carby Sun, 28 March 2004 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, after trying a few things..

if you have stock motor with aisan carb, the stock air filte housing is restrictive.

EDIT: the stock paper air filter IS NOT the restriction. you will find this out if you run a flat top and bottom plate without the sides, but it IS noisy.

i used PVC pipe to relocate the stock paper filter over near the fuel pump... it removed restriction, but was bloody noisy.
i've also used piping to relocate a foam type filter with similar results..

this will give a little better performance at highway speed, but thats about it.

routing a pipe to duct cold air, but not sealing it to the air filter seems best.

currently i have a 2" high paper filter from redline, on my downdraught weber.. this is less restrictive than most things i've tried, but hot air is still a problem.

while fun to try, it really is a waste of time putting a pod filter on a stock 4K.. even a modded 4K a pod is wasteful Wink you will need largish diamter pipe not to create a restriction.. with 2" flexi hose, i found performance dropped.

Cya, Stewart

[Updated on: Sun, 28 March 2004 04:24]

TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: Pod Filter on carby Sun, 28 March 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Oldcorllas, nah im just doing it for the sake of it lol somthing to do Laughing , have you got pics of your little contraptions?
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Pod Filter on carby Sun, 28 March 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

nah im just doing it for the sake of it lol somthing to do

What a good reason. Send your surplus money to me, that's something to do too and I promise I'll make (more) productive use of it!
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: Pod Filter on carby Sun, 28 March 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh this isnt costing anything, free parts from work Very Happy Very Happy
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Pod Filter on carby Sun, 28 March 2004 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In that case my constructive input is that my mate's TE Gemini featured at one point a Simota pod screwed straight onto the downdraft 32/36 Weber carburettor, with an accommodating 5" hole saw hole in the bonnet.

Total exposure above the bonnet line was about 4", no kidding he seriously drove around with it like this no scoop or anything. Shocked

Is your KE70 the silver one with AE71 front, driving lights, antennas and fibreglass that parks on Station Street in Box Hill out the front of the Japanese Drift Technician panel shop?
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: Pod Filter on carby Sun, 28 March 2004 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah its not, my ke70 is my avatar...

i dont think id go to the extrem of your mate, i'll just work my way around with pipe and elbow bends lol
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Pod Filter on carby Sun, 28 March 2004 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke70_3SGTE wrote on Sun, 28 March 2004 17:06

Thanks Oldcorllas, nah im just doing it for the sake of it lol somthing to do Laughing , have you got pics of your little contraptions?

nope, and it's really really worht it to take pics of them either Wink Laughing
tooch
Regular

June 2002
Re: Pod Filter on carby Sun, 28 March 2004 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SeptemberSquallIndustries wrote on Sun, 28 March 2004 17:52

Is your KE70 the silver one with AE71 front, driving lights, antennas and fibreglass that parks on Station Street in Box Hill out the front of the Japanese Drift Technician panel shop?

LOL I know the car you mean, that's one dodgy bodykit!
sik sx
Regular

I supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Pod Filter on carby Sun, 28 March 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a 3sge 100% stock..seriously, would a good quality pod filter make any differeance what so ever?..and wouold i have to mount it onto the AFM thingy?
thanks guys
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Pod Filter on carby Sun, 28 March 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Realistically? No. Cool air induction to the standard airbox would probably be minor benefit. Often it is said that factory paper elements offer amongst the best filtration you can get.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Pod Filter on carby Sun, 28 March 2004 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SeptemberSquallIndustries wrote on Sun, 28 March 2004 21:05

Realistically? No. Cool air induction to the standard airbox would probably be minor benefit. Often it is said that factory paper elements offer amongst the best filtration you can get.

Of course they do.
But by giving good filtration, they cause restriction.
Hence why a performance mod is replacing them.
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Pod Filter on carby Sun, 28 March 2004 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not necessarily. Do you have quantifiable results to prove this unreserved generalistic statement?

See here:
http://www.autospeed.com.au/cms/A_0629/article.htm l
Specifically:
http://www.autospeed.com.au/cms/article.html?& A=0646
http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/ar ticles/i6/0646_8mg.jpg

Good read on rational testing techniques. If you're not in the mood for reading jump to the last link.,

[Updated on: Sun, 28 March 2004 12:52]

sik sx
Regular

I supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Pod Filter on carby Mon, 29 March 2004 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thank you for that info..it took me like an hour to read all 5 pages but now im done and have a much better understanding on the matter..i still think i might go with a pod filter..but i am thinking of making better piping with out the ridges..and air box..with the stock air flow ocming into the ox plus an additional cold air flow pipe coming inot it as well..i might even try a few of those tricks along the way..but then again i probly wont cos im extremely lazy
anyone actually tryed this method? with the botle and water etc
thanks
shindeokure
Regular

September 2003
Re: Pod Filter on carby Mon, 29 March 2004 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it would flow even better if there was nothing there Rolling Eyes
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Pod Filter on carby Tue, 30 March 2004 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All I'm trying to demonstrate is that in many cases an appropriately sized paper filter will create practically no pressure drop and, compared with the remainder of the intake, is of little concern. Combined with the factory-endorsed filtration capability, why would you pay money to change?
DOR-186
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: Pod Filter on carby Tue, 30 March 2004 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what you could do is:

1. cut hole in bonet
2. buy real big v8 style intake on the bonet
3. set up POD filter on a straight piece of pipe going straight up

cold air + it would look real funny

just a suggestion this has got me thinking about my car hehe Very Happy
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: Pod Filter on carby Tue, 30 March 2004 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats a good plan!! but not a gigantic boonet scoop, just like a little like looking one! lol Laughing
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Pod Filter on carby Tue, 30 March 2004 10:54 Go to previous message
SeptemberSquallIndustries wrote on Sun, 28 March 2004 17:52

In that case my constructive input is that my mate's TE Gemini featured at one point a Simota pod screwed straight onto the downdraft 32/36 Weber carburettor, with an accommodating 5" hole saw hole in the bonnet.

Total exposure above the bonnet line was about 4", no kidding he seriously drove around with it like this no scoop or anything. Shocked

DOR-186 wrote

what you could do is:

1. cut hole in bonet
2. buy real big v8 style intake on the bonet
3. set up POD filter on a straight piece of pipe going straight up

cold air + it would look real funny

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 conversion
Next Topic:engine mounts
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-