Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Laws regarding car confiscations...?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
raveon
Newcomer

February 2004
Laws regarding car confiscations...? Sun, 04 April 2004 00:18 Go to next message
Can anyone give me any information with regards to getting your car confiscated by the cops? I know if you're caught doing stupid shit like burnouts or drags then you get your car taken away...that's pretty straight forward. What about all the other little things that they can get you for?

I'm primarily looking to find out about the stupid things they can take your car from you. Stuff like maybe, an engine or exhaust that's too loud. So can anyone shed some light?
  Send a private message to this user    
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Laws regarding car confiscations...? Sun, 04 April 2004 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Neg Driving, Burnouts, Drags, sideways. U will probably lose ur car if seen by cops.

Things like Loud exhaust/stereo and performance/rice mods are defects.
raveon
Newcomer

February 2004
Re: Laws regarding car confiscations...? Sun, 04 April 2004 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My friend got his 86 confiscated by the cops on a defect. Basically the only thing they could really pick on was that the rear seats were removed.

The cops didn't know wot the hell they were talking about. They said the car was some sort of illegal import or some crap...when it was an original Australian delivered Sprinter. They were basically being assholes, trying to make it difficult for enthusiasts and my friend was at the wrong place at the wrong time.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Laws regarding car confiscations...? Sun, 04 April 2004 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a copper tryed telling telling my mate with an 83 gemini that his poultion gear was a turbo and the heater box was a supercharger! Laughing oh and heres the best bit he told my mate that from a standing start he clocked him for distance of 300m (from a standing start) and rekons he got up to 150km/h (gees thats the quickest stocko 1800 gemini I ever scene!) Laughing he was only like doing 75km/h in a 60 zone (well he thought 60km/h but turns out his speedo was out!)
Southo
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002
Re: Laws regarding car confiscations...? Sun, 04 April 2004 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speaking of Gemini's - I had a '75 TX coupe with a 2Litre Twin cam, with twin side draft dellorto 45's.

I was stopped at a RBT and the cops pulled told me to pull over up further for an inspection too.
When I popped the Bonnet he completely missed the Motor/side drafts and started picking on the strut towers (which were stock standard) but he thought they were modified as they did not look the same as the ones in his patrol car (commodore) -
He was all set to defect it on that basis until I asked that he have a look at the strut towers in the Gemini sedan that was by now stopped at the RBT before he makes a fool of himself.

He did, and quite red faced apologised and sent me on my way..

I was lucky to get away with that one...

raveon,
It is called the "Traffic Ammendment (Street and Illegal Drag) Act, 1996"
My (limited) understanding is that the act only allows confiscation or impoundment can only be done if you are caught, or assumed to have been involved in Street/Drage racing on public roads etc...
I'll find a copy of the act and post the link for you....

SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Laws regarding car confiscations...? Sun, 04 April 2004 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rules are the first time your car gets confiscated its for 3mnths the 2nd time your gets confiscated its for good! I know this because it's happened to me before...... you can't get your car confiscated because of dectectable items only if they danger others.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Laws regarding car confiscations...? Sun, 04 April 2004 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
... don't forget that there are different laws in each state regarding vehicle confiscation ...

... and after wasting 15 minutes trying to find something useful at qld.gov.au (and transport.qld.gov.au) i gave up...

i think boostcruising has a fair amount of qld-related comment about this and 'anti-hoon' policing.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Laws regarding car confiscations...? Sun, 04 April 2004 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In ipswich they were confiscating cars for anything and everything and after your third warning they auction them off.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Laws regarding car confiscations...? Sun, 04 April 2004 09:31 Go to previous message
my mums BF's mate had his brand new Senator confiscated for "showing young hoons how real men do it"
it being a 50m long burnout from a set of lights :S
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:New car opinions - $35-40K on road
Next Topic:Toyota watching
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 16:39:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.12527012825012 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.