Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Supercharged POWER!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Supercharged POWER! Thu, 01 April 2004 03:21 Go to next message
taken from a vw forum

I finally did it, and yes, i'm crazy. Because I will be getting an mr2 turbo in the near future, I am only doing expiramental DIY projects to my 88 golf gt 8v. This is the craziest one yet. I ran it against the alternator belt at idle: it move a good bit of air; maybe enough for some positive manifold pressure! I just hope it will hold together in high revs. I also am trying to figure out how to mount it.

http://home.mindspring.com/~d2bc/car/blower1.JPG
http://home.mindspring.com/~d2bc/car/blower2.JPG
http://home.mindspring.com/~d2bc/car/blower3.JPG
http://home.mindspring.com/~d2bc/car/blower4.JPG
http://home.mindspring.com/~d2bc/car/blower5.JPG
http://home.mindspring.com/~d2bc/car/blower6.JPG

Laughing

im going to K mart

link to the thread

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=450937&am p;page=1
  Send a private message to this user    
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Supercharged POWER! Thu, 01 April 2004 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked he stole HKS's new setup.
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Supercharged POWER! Thu, 01 April 2004 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What a laugh. Although it scares me how much spare time one has. Alot of work seems to have gone into that. good work.
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Supercharged POWER! Thu, 01 April 2004 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A lot of work? I would say i could whip one up in around 1/2 an hour Rolling Eyes
Phrozen_Death
Regular

October 2002
Re: Supercharged POWER! Thu, 01 April 2004 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
why ? Rolling Eyes

i wonder who's blades he floged the wheel off? and his mother or sister is probly pretty pissed aswell

im gunna build one now just for shits and giggles
the "sunbeam supercharger"

[Updated on: Thu, 01 April 2004 04:25]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supercharged POWER! Thu, 01 April 2004 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is absolute genius. Why didn't I think of this??
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supercharged POWER! Thu, 01 April 2004 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Surely most Celica drivers (well, ST162 and onwards) would have a spare one laying around!! Laughing
ILUSZN
Regular

April 2003

Re: Supercharged POWER! Thu, 01 April 2004 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well. i always heard people refer to positive displacement chargers as hair driers, but this takes the cake. hehehehe Laughing
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Supercharged POWER! Thu, 01 April 2004 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does it actually work?

Laughing Razz
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Supercharged POWER! Thu, 01 April 2004 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hands up who is thinking about trying it???? Rolling Eyes
jinxinferno
Regular

February 2004
Re: Supercharged POWER! Thu, 01 April 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
reading the VW thread, that thing about rerouting your airconditioning to give you really cool air for you intake has sparked my curiousity. do you think that if someone was a particularly gifted engineer, they could hook up a switch that makes their aircon work as normal when you need it (ie in summer) or if you hit the switch, the air gets fed into your intake instead? surely that would have to give you a bit of extra power from your Air Con. Just a thought
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Supercharged POWER! Thu, 01 April 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'd have to cool the air enough to overcome the power sapping of the aircon compressor, which I doubt you'd do.
jinxinferno
Regular

February 2004
Re: Supercharged POWER! Thu, 01 April 2004 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
allright then, what if you took the whole, bolting electrical appliances theme to it. Just get a normal household airconditioner, hook it up to the alternator and route the air through your intake, therefore, no compresor sucking up all your power.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supercharged POWER! Thu, 01 April 2004 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And where do you think the alternator gets its power from? Rolling Eyes

Seriously though, the airconditioner-cold-air-induction idea gets floated on pretty much every car forum in existence on a regular basis (and yes I've seen it here at least once before). Unfortunately a few pesky details called the laws of thermodynamics prevent this from working.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 April 2004 06:24]

lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supercharged POWER! Thu, 01 April 2004 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn you Lisa! In this house we obey the rules of Thermodynamics!
jinxinferno
Regular

February 2004
Re: Supercharged POWER! Thu, 01 April 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allright then, hook up a switch which turns off all non-vital electrics so that your alternator can belt out some fat voltage for your airconditioner/intercooler. I dunno.....actually, come to think of it, you can get some damn long extension cords.....
Wait
what about solar power?
solar powered air conditioner intercooler.
sounds like a plan
adamb131
Regular

September 2003

Re: Supercharged POWER! Thu, 01 April 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WTF... Man is that a hairdryer!!!?!?!?!
Blown away (no pun intended)
Genius!!!
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Supercharged POWER! Thu, 01 April 2004 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So alternators have a cooling fan either on the front (older) or internal (new). Harness that, it's being driven anyway and away you go!
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Supercharged POWER! Thu, 01 April 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it looks like something id see in a honda

or a lancer Very Happy
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Supercharged POWER! Thu, 01 April 2004 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Definately for a celica.
After all, they say they are hairdressers cars. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: Supercharged POWER! Fri, 02 April 2004 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
post up a how to!!! so i can make one for my 4kc Laughing, why dnt you just hook the hair dryer up and take the heat coil thing out? set it no high speed and run it off ya battery lol Rolling Eyes
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Supercharged POWER! Sat, 03 April 2004 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that was from 2002 - was there ever a follow up post?? would be great just to see it strapped on even if it didn't work
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Supercharged POWER! Sun, 04 April 2004 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jinxinferno wrote on Thu, 01 April 2004 16:13

reading the VW thread, that thing about rerouting your airconditioning to give you really cool air for you intake has sparked my curiousity. do you think that if someone was a particularly gifted engineer, they could hook up a switch that makes their aircon work as normal when you need it (ie in summer) or if you hit the switch, the air gets fed into your intake instead? surely that would have to give you a bit of extra power from your Air Con. Just a thought

unless you could get an absorption refrig(or if you will...aircon) system to actually cool down enough air fast enough(very very doubtful) to actually gain enough benefit to offset the weight of the system, then it could work
but a conventional compressor aircon system has feck all chance of this happening, unless you could overcome friction and invent perpetual motion Smile
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Supercharged POWER! Sun, 04 April 2004 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on another note
i tried this home made supercharger but mummy got pissed off at me for breaking her hairdryer so she broke my supercharger Sad
jinxinferno
Regular

February 2004
Re: Supercharged POWER! Sun, 04 April 2004 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn, foiled by friction, lack of perpetual motion AND the laws of thermodynamics
Laughing
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Supercharged POWER! Tue, 06 April 2004 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 01 April 2004 16:23

Seriously though, the airconditioner-cold-air-induction idea gets floated on pretty much every car forum in existence on a regular basis (and yes I've seen it here at least once before). Unfortunately a few pesky details called the laws of thermodynamics prevent this from working.

heh heh... so what about using the air con expansion coil to cool say.. a 20L tank of glycol to sub zero temps, and running it thru your water to air IC Wink large capacity of water/glycol would take at least a little while to heat up, and must be better than using room temp air to cool the IC water...
sure you may need to slow down every now and again for the AC to catch up, but thats what lights are for Wink

fwiw, glycol cooling systems are whats used in the lovely beer taps with ice all over them!! mmmm cold beers!! Cool

Cya, Stewart

EDIT: great for dyno day runs too Wink

[Updated on: Tue, 06 April 2004 12:51]

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Supercharged POWER! Tue, 06 April 2004 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

And Ford own the patent!
Eddo
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: Supercharged POWER! Tue, 06 April 2004 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks like one very strange hair dryer Laughing Laughing Very Happy

is it going to work???
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Supercharged POWER! Tue, 06 April 2004 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Tue, 06 April 2004 22:46

heh heh... so what about using the air con expansion coil to cool say.. a 20L tank of glycol to sub zero temps, and running it thru your water to air IC Wink large capacity of water/glycol would take at least a little while to heat up, and must be better than using room temp air to cool the IC water...
sure you may need to slow down every now and again for the AC to catch up, but thats what lights are for Wink

fwiw, glycol cooling systems are whats used in the lovely beer taps with ice all over them!! mmmm cold beers!! Cool

Cya, Stewart

EDIT: great for dyno day runs too Wink

i wouldnt limit it to saying just glycol, proper term is secondary refrigerants which can be glycol, brine solutions, antifreeze, plain water, methanol etc.
The only problem with using this kind of system in a car is that you usually require some form of cooling tower to cool the glycol down, or at the very least another "condensor". then the pump to make the solution flow, you'd also probably need a larger evaporator. It would also be non efficiant to use R12 or R134a as the refrigerant as there are better gases to get "sub zero" temps with, which would make it unsuitable for use inside your cars cabin. which would mean a whole bunch of shit would need to be changed, easiest to change your entire AC system
Theory is kind of sound, but practically there would be quite a bit of added weight and retro fitting.

hrmm, dont quote me too closely on the above, i'm still half asleep...but i suppose if you had a dyno queen and wieght wasnt an issue, it would be a pretty good way of cooling down intake temps.

BTW i'm a big fan of the temprites used to chill beer Wink

[Updated on: Tue, 06 April 2004 23:26]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Supercharged POWER! Wed, 07 April 2004 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Such a system would probably work great on a drag car. You could use an external refrigeration system to cool the reservoir of glycol/whatever, and as long as your reservoir is large enough it should remain cool for the 10 seconds or whatever you're blasting down the 1/4 mile. Having an on-board refrigeration system probably wouldn't be too practical though. Smile
paul_c_2002
Regular

March 2004
Re: Supercharged POWER! Thu, 22 April 2004 06:42 Go to previous message
so did you actually try the hair dryer experiment?
Results?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:PROCEDURE: Transfer of Vic rego to NSW rego
Next Topic:AE86 Parts Pic's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 04:14:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071921348571777 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.