Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Need help with plumbing on a 3sgte Sun, 04 April 2004 12:17 Go to next message
Got my car back from the mechanic couple of days ago - had the new engine put in Smile
Just hooking everything up and need some help with a few things....

http://members.optushome.com.au/praetor/st162pics/trubo_send.jpg
The hose with the arrow poinging to it is the water pipe that SENDS to the turbo - where does it plug into???? The plug in the circle is also lonely....what goes here?

http://members.optushome.com.au/praetor/st162pics/throttle_body.jpg
http://members.optushome.com.au/praetor/st162pics/t_peice.jpg
These 2 pics show also show 3 hoses that come out of the throttle body.

Any help with these would be much appriated.
Thanks guys Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Need help with plumbing on a 3sgte Mon, 05 April 2004 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll help best I can, but I am having troubles getting bearing on which way you facing in your engine bay.

The first pic

if thats the cooling line coming out of the turbo doesn't that pipe plug back onto your radiator. and the little one in the circle, I think that may be the VSV line for your turbo.

second pic

if that large pipe is the same one in the 3rd photo, on mine it plumbs into the air intake while that little T section off the side pipes from some sort of acctuator/sensor on the firewall.

where does that smaller pipe in the 2nd pic come from? a bit higher pic may be helpful.

third pic

already covered in section 2

I don't know how much different these are cause I have the same engine yours had when you got it, don't you have an st185 engine now?
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Need help with plumbing on a 3sgte Mon, 05 April 2004 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually man on a second look at the first pic it looks like the VSV line is already connected, that hose fitting, once again where does that come from, I don't have that on mine, does that come from the water monifold?
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: Need help with plumbing on a 3sgte Mon, 05 April 2004 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep I have an st185 engine now.

The ones in the first pic have been solved - they actually connected! Embarassed

The large pipe in the 2nd/3rd photo was actually blocked up on my st165 engine - if your saying that it goes into the air intake this makes sence as it connects to just under the intake of the throttle body. Could this be the idle intake??? My first engine had a shocking idle...this is maybe why.

Still have no idea about the hose in the second pic that is coming out the end of the throttle body. My genI engine didn't have this - new addition to the genII.

Quote:

while that little T section off the side pipes from some sort of acctuator/sensor on the firewall.

yep thanks Smile the hose of the same size as that one coming OUT of that accuator - where does it go? And what does that actuator do?
3sfe
Regular

March 2004
Re: Need help with plumbing on a 3sgte Mon, 05 April 2004 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok you should have a turbo sensor on the firewall and connected to it coming towards the front of the car there should be a thing there with a spring on it(figged if i know what it is) that hose plugs in underneath it. However looking at those pics it looks different to a st185. And yeah that bigger hose does go into the air intake(a must)
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: Need help with plumbing on a 3sgte Mon, 05 April 2004 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
turbo sensor???

from doing some reading, from what I can tell the large hose in pic3 is for PCV (comes out of the pipe in far left in pic2, and then goes through the large hose in pic3)

YES? / NO? / KINDA?

Cause what you guys are saying is that the hose in pic3 (the end that dissapears goes into the throttle body, just the other side of the inlet) goes into the intake. So essentially all this hose does is by-pass the throttle valve/flap?
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Need help with plumbing on a 3sgte Mon, 05 April 2004 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll see if I can get a shot of my setup for you, but you also may need to get another shot for us and zoom out a little to see more of the area, cause at the moment this is sounding rather tricky.
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: Need help with plumbing on a 3sgte Tue, 06 April 2004 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here are the new pics....

Wide shot of engine bay
Updated plumbing pic - now with numbers Smile
Interesting hose socket on crankcase

I've updated my pic showing current plumbing thats been done. I've also numbered stuff I'm talking about so its easier to follow Smile

1) You've said that no.1 plugs into no.5 Where does the other side of that actuator plug into?

2) The hose that no.2 is pointing to comes out of the end of the throttle body. It used to be alot shorter but as I couldn't see a use for it I decieded to use it for the pressure sender to the BOV. Can I do this? Or did it have some specific purpose that I'm yet to discover?

3) no.3 used to connect to no.4. As per pervious post I've now blocked this off as it was on my prev engine. no.7 is the other end of no.4 so that pipe is totally unconnected now. You've told me that this pipe (no.7) should connect to the intake....is this right? From what I've read in my manual (non-turbo models) no.6 which is the crank case ventalator should connect to no.7 to allow for PCV to take place. The manuall actually says that this causes oil and crap to build up in the throttle body so you have to clean it every now and then.

Now obviously this isn't a good idea with a turbo as then the crankcase will be pressurised. So I was going to leave no.3 blocked off and plumb 7 (through a filter) back into the intake.

4) That hose on no.8 I took a guess and plugged from the charcole canister (which you see under no.Cool back into the only right sized pipe I could find - as you can see by where the hose leads. Did I get this right?

Finally...

In that last pic, it shows a curious little hose socket thing on the crank case. What the hell plugs into that?

For anyone who takes the time to reply to all those...I owe you a beer Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 06 April 2004 10:32]

wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Need help with plumbing on a 3sgte Tue, 06 April 2004 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok man you have done some major screwing around with this.

1) yes no1 plugs to no5, there is no other end thats it.

2) I know alot of people on yahoo gt4 list that used no2 for their bov line and they had problems with it not working, I think that line is some sort of aircon idle line or something like that, may be best to ask classique71 about that line cause I don't have that on my engine.

3) I would plumb it all back properly to start with If I was you, you can replumb and stuff with it later, but yes as you had it no3 joins to no4, and no6 and no7 both plumb back into the air intake.

4) no8, yeah man that one looks right

that last little one is also appart of the plumbing for crankcase ventalation, it's just a little vac line that comes off that side of the throttle body that goes to it. I'll get a pic hopefully tomorrow for you.

Just another small point, what I/C do you plan to use, are you gonna use the top A2A that you got with the 185 engine, or are you gonna use the old W2A from your old motor. cause the turbo sits lower and on more of an angle on the gen2 so you'd have to get a custom bent peice of pipe on the end of the W2A to fit the new turbo setup. or are you just gonna use a custom frontmount.

cool

PS. Where's my beer???? Laughing Razz
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: Need help with plumbing on a 3sgte Wed, 07 April 2004 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks mate Smile

Yeah there's been major screwing around, but thats what happens when you give a computer tech an engine and say fix! But hey I'm learning so its all good.

Currently looking into getting a filter for the PCV 2 eliminate the build up of oil in my throttle body.

Where would you plum the BOV into if its not advised to use what I'm thinking of?

That actuator....the other side meaning the hose goes into the actuator, and then another one comes out. Where does the one that comes out go?

As for the intercooler - I'm going to use the W/A and bang together some custom piping. Will consider options as summer approaches.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Need help with plumbing on a 3sgte Wed, 07 April 2004 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Currently looking into getting a filter for the PCV 2 eliminate the build up of oil in my throttle body.

dude let me know how you go with this I am going to get one too Smile Glad to see everything is working out ok and quickly too!
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: Need help with plumbing on a 3sgte Wed, 07 April 2004 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wiso, if I do what your saying, wont that create a boost leak? If I connect it to the boost side of the turbo then it'll pressurise the crank case.

Sorry I am probably wrong, but thats what I'm thinking.

ps, could u post that pic for that little host connector on the crank case cause im itching to get the IC hooked up Smile your beer is coming Wink

[Updated on: Wed, 07 April 2004 07:55]

wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Need help with plumbing on a 3sgte Wed, 07 April 2004 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know on the BOV I am only stating what I know from other peoples problmes, try PMing classique71 or spectral they'd know were to put the bov line on a 185 engine, casue the 165 engine is heaps different.

It shouldn't make a boost leak, I think it acts more like a factory return for excess boost pressure.

the one that comes out of the acctuator thing goes to a pressure sensor on the firewall also.

I'll try and get a pic tomorrow, I am really busy ATM trying to finish assignments and get the car ready for dubbo.
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: Need help with plumbing on a 3sgte Wed, 07 April 2004 22:07 Go to previous message
no worries mate, thanks for your help so far. I've just gotta find some new electrical connectors (hopefully without forking out the cash for the entire harness) and I can at least she if she runs Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:where to find lsd
Next Topic:good turbo's to run in a 4AGE?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 10:03:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053670406341553 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.