Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ECU for 4agte, Whats good????

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
icon5.gif  ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Mon, 05 April 2004 21:04 Go to next message
I need to buy an aftermarket ecu to run my 4agte.

Anyone know whats good these days?
  Send a private message to this user    
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Mon, 05 April 2004 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak buy me a microtech and i will put it on mine and let you know if it's any good.... Very Happy

i still have my gze ECU running mine.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Mon, 05 April 2004 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Funny John, Very Funny Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing

[Updated on: Mon, 05 April 2004 21:42]

FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Mon, 05 April 2004 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go and see JEM in Moorebank, he runs a Haltech e6x and its good for his 11.5sec 4agte.
sprinterboy4agze
Regular

March 2003
Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Mon, 05 April 2004 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u got the money go haltech if not then microtech will run it fine
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Mon, 05 April 2004 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i run an EMS on my 4age, and my mate runs one on his 4AGTE, made some nice power out of it and runs quite well...
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Tue, 06 April 2004 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in order of best! motec,autronic, haltech{now that polard has it and its going to start taking on the first two}. dont bother with any of the others.
mick
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Tue, 06 April 2004 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how about a wolf?
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Tue, 06 April 2004 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was going to ask the same question......What about wolf??
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Tue, 06 April 2004 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick's statement is pretty bold...

most computers on the market would do the job adequately. just make sure you have the support, good tuner can go a long way.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Wed, 07 April 2004 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive put more microtechs on 4age's and 4efe's than anything else,

the current range work a treat with the toyotas, i have done a few 4agte and they make around 190hp at the wheels on less than 15psi boost,

as for drag times, ill mention the little MR2 at the drags the other week that ran 10.6 with a 4agte and LTX8 microtech.

one of my customers 4agze is make 145hp at the wheels with a nevo pully and LTX8 microtech, i have another customer with a starlet that makes 200hp at the wheels with a LTX8 microtech,

basically any ecu is only as good as the person tuning it,
best value for money is by far the microtech, for $1550 (plus dyno hire) i can supply, install and tune a LT8 using your stock ign system or for $1750 a LTX8 with direct fire Bosch coils. i done a heap for toymods members i did NVD05X's car on the weekend, made 195hp at the wheels on 15psi

Dale

PS haltech will never pass motec or autronic, they have a long long way before they even get close...
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Wed, 07 April 2004 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive never seen a wolf on a expensive engine, not to say it hasnt been on there for a short time on say a drag engine. not a BOLD statment an imformed statment.
mick
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Wed, 07 April 2004 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here are a couple of dyno sheets from 4a series motors i have done all with MT or newer microtechs. all fitted and tuned by myself.

4agze

http://www.twincam.org/forums/uploads/post-3-1081197770.jpg

starlet

http://www.twincam.org/forums/uploads/post-3-1081198230.jpg

my girl friends NA starlet with a turbo on it

http://www.twincam.org/forums/uploads/post-3-1081198527.jpg

stock 86kw 4age with exhaust

http://www.twincam.org/forums/uploads/post-8-1081291323.jpg

heres one with a 4agte, 4agze and 20v on it

http://www.twincam.org/forums/uploads/post-7-1081117480.jpg

kingmick
i got a big scared of the wolf when i read in the manual to leave 7deg on one of the settings as a saftey margin....

[Updated on: Wed, 07 April 2004 04:19]

kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Wed, 07 April 2004 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
10sec_rx7 exactly what i mean. you get what you pay for! but also look at what the circuit racers or rally use as appossed to drag racers. remmeber drag racing is carby dominated and they only turn for 800-1220 revolutions in a pass.
mick
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Wed, 07 April 2004 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a lot of circuit racers use microtech espically in IPRA and production cars, a few rally club racers use it as well, and 75% of the after market ecus sold in australia are microtech.

not many of them use halteh at all..

not one top rotary drag team in the world use a haltech fuel and ign ecu, there is a reason for this, they are all using motec or microtech now, rotarys are 10 times more crutial on the ign timing than a piston motor is.

you would actually be suprised how much stress a drag motor is under, if the ecu and tune is no good it will not even make it past the burn out.

Dale
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Wed, 07 April 2004 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dale,
Your name rings a bell from the Celica GT-4 Yahoo Group/s (v2 Saf!). Did you work for another leading company in this field (ie. Motec) before starting out your own business ?
Cheers,
Mitch.
Perth W.A.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Wed, 07 April 2004 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mitch,

I have never worked for any ECU company! i just work on my own and with Mark Chapman of MRC Dyno and Performance in Castle Hill.

Dale
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Wed, 07 April 2004 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they will start using haltech now as they have just been through a big change and they dont use autronic as its manily australian.
they use microtech because it is cheaper than the others. if you had the money motec is the only one you would use.
mick
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Wed, 07 April 2004 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ND4SPD runs a wolf 3d 681+rwhp
also GTAAH runs a wolf and has around the same power figure.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Wed, 07 April 2004 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick,

they have gone through a big change but the e11 is still buggy as hell and dosent work correctly, and the rest have crap software and ign control, when they get all that sorted and get some staff that know what is going on they may start to make inroads.

Dale
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Wed, 07 April 2004 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My humble apologies Dale, I have confused someone else with you.
Either way, your input into this question is very informative, thanks.
And for everyone else, there will always be other cars with other ECU's and greater horsepower figures. Let's stick to the question and not drop into 'benchtop racing'.
Cheers,
Mitch.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Wed, 07 April 2004 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mitch,

thats fine Smile

im just posting my real world results from cars i have worked on, im sure some of the owners will get on here tonight and put there 2c in as well

Dale
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Wed, 07 April 2004 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've been looking at the wolf manual of late and it leaves a lot to be desired.. as does the microtech... meaning that you MUST find someone who knows about it, cos the company will not provide great support (i'm sure there are exceptions to this)

for drag racing, you are only working in a very limited range of RPM and load... and carby vs injection is very close.. as they have always been... carby is sometimes better from simplicity point of view.

as for value for money, megasquirt is best value, but you need to put in a little efort yourself Wink

fwiw, 4 cylinder land speed record is held by a megasquirted vehicle, (rick yacoucci? ) (1.3L, 620hp, LOTS of boost)
and there are a couple of sub 8 second alcohol drag cars also running megasquirt Razz

megasquirt also has one of the best support networks around (4000+ members on yahoo), and you can replace any parts easily, AND code is open source so you can modify it any way you want Wink

Cya, Stewart

so back to the question. if you are installing yourself, try to find what problems there are with different systems, and MAKE SURE that there is good suppot AFTER you hand over the $$.
OR, make sure you find someone who is reputable at installing and tuning the particular system (like Dale Wink ) so that it will be done correctly first time.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 April 2004 05:16]

10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Wed, 07 April 2004 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats the good thing about the microtech, half hour sitting there with the software and the manual and you will know what every setting does, its not as complicated as people think it is,
i have customers in Sri Lanka that are using microtechs, it took them 4 hours to wire the first one and the car started perfectly on the base map i had given them,

megasquirt is good for a simple fuel only setup, once they get the ign control sorted it will be good as well, i wouldnt expect perfect ign control for a while out of it tho will take some time to sort it out.

Dale
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Wed, 07 April 2004 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
microtechs are very good but dont have the extra features. if i had to pick a computer besides motec,autronic or haltech id go microtech everytime.
mick
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Wed, 07 April 2004 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For sure but how many street cars actually need the extra features?? not a lot, espically toyotas where the thermo is run off its own switch,

the new range have a lot more features than the older ones,

the ecu in my misses car has idle motor control etc on it that runs the standard idle control motor and idles up when cold and air con is switched on etc, also has output for shift light and another output to turn on the water pump for the water to air intercooler. so they have the features there.

the new range LT12s has wideband 02, on board data logging, more outputs, 32bit processors etc all standard, with the option of a 40psi inbuilt map sensor.
the new LT8s range has more outputs, 32bit processor and the 40psi option as well,

all will have the user definable load points and injector MS when a update in done in a few months time

Dale

[Updated on: Wed, 07 April 2004 05:43]

thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Wed, 07 April 2004 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Talk about a can of worms Smile

Great to here your at the ECU stage of the project, Can't wait to see how she goes against Daves Cappacino Wink

Anyway some things to keep in mind, (You know my personal preference is for Autronic.)

A downdraft carby from the 70's will happily hit the top number on a dyno graph if its big enough, ANY aftermarket ECU will be able to. It's between start and flat out that is your problem.

The things people never consider are the support functions and niceties of an engine, the a/c idle up, the flexability of idle control with big injectors, the decereration curves, the boost limitations of the unit, etc ,etc. All the little things that generally do bugger all in the chase for power but make it a much nicer car to drive.

There are alot of systems on the market and generally you get what you pay for ! At the end of the day your car will only run as good as your engine tuner sets it up. ANYONE can buy a dyno and call themselves an engine tuner but if I buy a dentist chair it doesn't make me a Dentist.

Most tuners will have a field of expertise towards a few select ecu systems. Try speaking to someone who will pick whats best for your car, not just what they know how to use ! If you ca find yourself a tuner who is not local to or locked into a particular brand you will generally get much less biased advice.

Please note I am in NO WAY having a go at anyone in this thread.
I know or am familiar with both KingMick and 10sec_rx7, they both know what they are talking about and will have there personal preferences. !

And yes if Budget was a major concern I would also pick a Microtech over anyting else in there price range. Mind you I'd hate to build a wicked engine and then compromise on one of the most important parts.

My personal preference is Autronic then microtech. If your not in a huge hurry the new Autronics will be out soon !

[Updated on: Wed, 07 April 2004 05:53]

10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Wed, 07 April 2004 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats exactly right,

if you only have a tuner that can tune a motec within 200km of your house you would be silly to by a microtech or haltech,

in sydney there are that many tuners that the choice is endless, about the only one that is not really supported well at all is the wolf systems, every other system you can find someone close that will be able to tune them well.

Mark at MRC has tuned just about everything there is to tune, from Microtech, autronic, haltech, power fc, ecutek etc, he loves his autronic's and is starting to like the microtechs more now that the newer models are coming through and showing the potential

i tend to stick more to microtech as it is what i know backwards and a litte haltech here and there , will be doing more autronic soon Smile

Fatmr2,

if you want to have a chat about ecu options etc give me a call on 0412 044 456, ill orgainse a ride for you in NVD05X car which is a 4agte that i tuned

Dale

[Updated on: Wed, 07 April 2004 05:59]

kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Wed, 07 April 2004 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
autronic is sensational as i have one!lol sm2. but motec is still the best. you need to be a rocket scientist to get info off richard!Smile.
did you slap jimmy for me.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Wed, 07 April 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rod: I'm nearly there but not quite yet. As for my bro's car......He better watch out cause I'm expecting some big numbers Very Happy I only wish i could get an autronic sm2 like his for what he paid. DAMN he got it cheap!!! Mad You guys will be seeing it again pretty soon though. Every time i try to put better stuff on my car he just keeps finding more power in that thing.
HOLY SHIT!!! How much can a damn 660cc engine make Shocked I'm going to have to run 30psi to keep up Laughing

Mick's metal craft is making the plenum at the moment so its coming together....Slowly Smile
I think the project is going to slow down a bit for a while due to lack of funds Crying or Very Sad we'll see.

Dale: Man, that would be awesome. I will definitely give you a call.

To all of you, Thanks for the help Very Happy
wraith
Regular

October 2003
Re: ECU for 4agte, Whats good???? Wed, 07 April 2004 13:42 Go to previous message
If, like me, you live 400km from a dyno, let alone a tuner, you have to be able to work it out yourself... I'm with Stewart & the Megasquirt once I figure out how the damn thing works Smile But there is a LOT of info out there on the Megasquirt, and its cheap, so it should be good for experimentation. I'm going to try it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Mouting 4AGE to engine Stand
Next Topic:20v tuning
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 10:57:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0080869197845459 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.