Toymods » Tech & Conversions » RIP: W57 *** now with pics ***

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: RIP: W57 *** now with pics *** Wed, 07 April 2004 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked Shocked Shocked

you can hear the crowd go "OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH" as they wince in pain......
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RIP: W57 *** now with pics *** Wed, 07 April 2004 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CLG wrote on Wed, 07 April 2004 12:34

So what were you actually doing just before it let go Norbie???

Actually I wasn't doing much at the time. I was coming around a roundabout in 2nd gear, I was about to nail it but before I got a chance the car started making noises like the entire drivetrain had fallen out! Shocked I pulled over immediately and the car wouldn't move after that.

And yes, a V160 sounds like the answer to all my problems. I don't think my wallet will be too happy about it though. Sad
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: RIP: W57 *** now with pics *** Thu, 08 April 2004 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 08 April 2004 08:30

Actually I wasn't doing much at the time. I was coming around a roundabout in 2nd gear, I was about to nail it but before I got a chance the car started making noises like the entire drivetrain had fallen out! Shocked I pulled over immediately and the car wouldn't move after that.

And yes, a V160 sounds like the answer to all my problems. I don't think my wallet will be too happy about it though. Sad

i think situations like this are like tattoos or piercings, it hurts for a bit, but the pain goes away and all you remember in the future is not the "pain" but the benefit as such...(not all may agree with my analogy...but i think its a good one)
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: RIP: W57 *** now with pics *** Thu, 08 April 2004 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
/me stands up and gives Norbie a standing ovation. Laughing
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: RIP: W57 *** now with pics *** Thu, 08 April 2004 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 08 April 2004 06:30

Actually I wasn't doing much at the time. I was coming around a roundabout in 2nd gear, I was about to nail it but before I got a chance the car started making noises like the entire drivetrain had fallen out!

OK, next question, how much have you done to it to result in this? Details please, as I think we can all assume it's not caused from general driving?!!!?
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: RIP: W57 *** now with pics *** Thu, 08 April 2004 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CLG wrote on Thu, 08 April 2004 10:22

Norbie wrote on Thu, 08 April 2004 06:30

Actually I wasn't doing much at the time. I was coming around a roundabout in 2nd gear, I was about to nail it but before I got a chance the car started making noises like the entire drivetrain had fallen out!

OK, next question, how much have you done to it to result in this? Details please, as I think we can all assume it's not caused from general driving?!!!?

i dunno...a 400hp engine connected to a box that was behind originaly behind and engine that maybe put out 100hp? might not be the best suited box for it...even if he was driving normally?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RIP: W57 *** now with pics *** Thu, 08 April 2004 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Precisely. A W57 was never going to last behind that engine, and while I made a point of driving it relatively gently, I was expecting it to break sooner or later.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: RIP: W57 *** now with pics *** Thu, 08 April 2004 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought a W57/58 had the same sized layshaft and gears, and the main difference was the steel sandwich plate, aiding box and layshaft rigidity??? Assuming all that, stripping the gears shouldn't come into your eqaution of driving gently, just as I'd assume nailing it out of a corner when you're pushing big boost isn't driving gently either? I'm not convinced you've been driving gently Norbie??? Shocked Laughing Very Happy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RIP: W57 *** now with pics *** Thu, 08 April 2004 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. I've already broken a JZA80 W58 behind this engine (stripped 3rd gear to hell).

2. Driving gently means no flat-changes and no high-rpm launches. It doesn't mean I'm going to drive my 400hp Supra like a stock Corolla!
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: RIP: W57 *** now with pics *** Thu, 08 April 2004 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 08 April 2004 11:17

1. I've already broken a JZA80 W58 behind this engine (stripped 3rd gear to hell).

Perhaps you should try sticking oil into your gearboxes Norbie... hehe

Norbie wrote on Thu, 08 April 2004 11:17

2. Driving gently means no flat-changes and no high-rpm launches. It doesn't mean I'm going to drive my 400hp Supra like a stock Corolla!

Funny you say that, 'coz I drive stock Corollas much harder than I drive my car. You have to thrash the living crap out of them in order to get to the shops and back in any decent amount of time...
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: RIP: W57 *** now with pics *** Thu, 08 April 2004 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe you shouldt tru an IS200 6 Speed, I know of one for sale Razz hahahaha.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: RIP: W57 *** now with pics *** Thu, 08 April 2004 04:35 Go to previous message
Norbie,
can you see any signs of fatigue (ie beach marks) at the base of the now non-existant teeth, on either the layshaft gear, or the mainshaft gear?? i would expect that most of them failed from sudden loading, but i bet you find one or two teeth that have failed gradually from fatigue... usually the result of a single large overloading event (heh heh that one flat change you did perhaps Wink i know mine do this), and then the shock loading when one tooth breaks causes the rest to fall to bits..

funny you say it happened when you were being nice to it..

i have never actually had a diff or gearbox fail when i was giving it some.... usually soon after Wink but never actually during!!

beach marks look something like this
http://www.materials.unsw.edu.au/~sford/pics/gtooth.jpg
nearly the entire top left half of the tooth failed by fatigue, before finally overloadign and snapping off...

Cya, Stewart

[Updated on: Thu, 08 April 2004 04:37]

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What brake pads should i get for my Rav4?
Next Topic:supercharger
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 10:31:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004796028137207 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.