Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » The 2t-geu, what kind of potential?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
gene
Occasional Poster

May 2002

The 2t-geu, what kind of potential? Thu, 23 May 2002 08:39 Go to next message
Hi all,

I currently have a 2t-GEU in my te71 sprinter trueno. I've been reading tech articles on the net and well, there seems to be different figures everywhere.

For example, the toymods 'hall of records/dyno test' contains a celica with a 2t-geu. The car seems to have numourous mods but dyno results came out to be 62kW. I thought the engine was capable of something along the lines of ~120rwhp, or ~96kW?

Depending on whether i keep the car long enough (or whether or not its even worth it!), i am thinking of either supercharging the engine (using a 4agze supercharger) or perhaps even turbo charging it. Which of these mods would be cheaper? Which would give the most performance?

Anyway, if anything those mods will be in a long time. In the meantime however, should i bother trying to improve performance? Or should i consider getting a totally different base (ie. a sprinter with a 4age)?

cheers,

gene.
  Send a private message to this user    
inferno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: The 2t-geu, what kind of potential? Thu, 23 May 2002 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its kinda wierd because there are a fair few different model 2TGs out there, and many combinations of pistons etc that you can put in them, as well as if its got efi or webers. I know my old 2TG was dead slow, even with carbies, and yet my mates gen1 stock 2TG would absolutely kill most cars on the road.

anyway, i've been looking into it and supercharging a 2TG is a lot easier than turbocharging it, even though turbo is easy in theory. with the turbo you would need the manifold (3tgt), oil lines engineered into the block, exhaust, when a supercharger wouldn't need these, it would just bolt on. superchargers are better for street use, but turbos can give more boost.
GAZZAke25
Regular

May 2002
Re: The 2t-geu, what kind of potential? Thu, 23 May 2002 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have had a 2TG before with a bit of work done to it, it put out 56kw@ the wheels. so 62kw @ the wheels is pretty good, you would be stuggeling to get any more than this even a 4AGZE running 13 PSI will only put out about about 95kw @ the wheels.
If you want more power than this, turbo a 4AGZE I get 160kw @ the wheels out of mine and thats only running 14.5PSI.
So I have run all of these engines, they are all good fun but I would not waste to much money trying to squeeze any more power out of a 2TG unless you turbo or superchage it, but that will cost a bit of money.
Good luck
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The 2t-geu, what kind of potential? Thu, 23 May 2002 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 2TG is a very under rated engine due to its age and it only having 8 valves. I personally love it but don't kid yourself a newer 16 valve engine will be better given everything else as equal ! (And nothing is BTW)

I'll start with your N/A options

Tina's engine is the modded 2TGEU you refer to. It has had a lot of work but it is all of a very Mild nature. The cams seem large by 4AGE standards but for a 2TG they are babies !! It has also only had a 1mm overbore (3.5mm is my personal preference) and compression is only 9.8:1 (As a rule of thumb every extra compression point yeilds 10HP. Note I have not verified that but it came from a very knowledgeable mechanic and racer) Again personal preference would be more like 10.5:1

Teenz benefits in the torque department from the 3T crank to yeild an 1812cc capacity. A capacity of close to 1950cc is acheived with the 3T crank and 3.5mm overbore.

As a Maximum expect a figure of around 200 Flywheel Horsepower from an N/A 2TG. And expect it to be a real pig at low revs to acheive that power. (And you don't want to consider the cost)

Tina's engine was built as a refresh in her DAILY DRIVER ! It was designed for the Traffic light grand prix and as a Result it picks up great down low. Cams are on song nice and early and it gives most things a good run off the lights.

Best quarter mile to date is a 16 flat (As per the records page)

Don't get hung up on peak power ! consider useable power. If its all above 5500rpm then have fun driving it anywhere thats not a race track.

On a dollar per horsepower basis a big $$$ N/A build is not a winning combination unless you can do your own building and just pay for parts. Even then an import engine will almost definatly give you more value for your dollar. If you are handy with the spanners then a Package similar to Tina's can be created at a reasonable cost.

thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The 2t-geu, what kind of potential? Thu, 23 May 2002 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forced Induction 2TG Potential

Well how big was your wallet again ????

Supercharging option first. a 4AGZE Supercharger can bit fitted to a stock 2TGEU with not to much effort. It yields a great torquey little engine and yeilds around double the factory power.

Mind you cost wise it would almost definatly be cheaper to get a 4AGZE fittedin whatever the intended vehicle is.

TURBO !

This is one of those how long is a peice of string questions. A stock 2TGEU will happily accept a Stock 3TGTE manifold and Turbo. However its then anyones Guess how long it is before the pistons give out ! This would be about your cheapect option but if that was all you wanted get a stock 3TGTE with 160 Flwheel HP stock they are a pretty decent engine.

If your chasing big Power then mortgage your house and depending on what drivability your after 500 HP is an acheiveable goal. Keep in mind you are talking some very custom parts ! I am actually in conversation with a guy in the states who is chasing 600 Flywheel HP from his turbo 2TG ! (And its looking acheivable)

Cost wise tho you would be better off getting something like a Beams RWD 3SGTE and spending some dollars on that !

In no form other than a mild N/A build is the 2TG value in the $/HP calculation. Mind you neither is a 4AGE or 4AGTE !!
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The 2t-geu, what kind of potential? Thu, 23 May 2002 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Finally Smile

Having seemingly crapped all over the 2TG I'd like to quantify everything a little.

Firstly your car was designed to take a T series Block so there is a conveinience factor in leaving one in there. It also means things like Gearboxes and Tailshafts may be able to remain in there stock form.

More importantly tho it comes down to what your trying to achieve. Lately I have seen too many people (not within Toymods) quoting rediculously high power figures as what they want from an engine. 150 Flywheel HP will haul arse quite nicely in something like your TE71 or an early Celica and it is not hard to acheive!

The 2TG is a FUN engine to drive. It has a really useable power range and pretty good torque. (Great torque with the 3T Crank)

I'll fess up a little hear. My new engine for the show car is (or was Wink a 2TG) I picked it for all sorts of reasons.

Firstly I wanted an engine that was suited for the car weight and period wise.

Secondly I wanted to annoy all the 4AG owners with a performance 8 valve engine !

Thirdly I wanted to build something out side the norm.

Fourth I wanted to annoy all the 4AG owners hehehe

Fifth and by no means least I love the look of it !

All emotional reasons really. Mind you if I don't see something approaching 200 Horsepower at the wheels I'm gunna spew !

I have spent a lot of years with the 2TG now and the only other option I would have considered for what I wanted is the 3SGTE. And that seemed all to bloody hard. In hind sight tho.......

Sorry for the long replies I hope that covers it Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 23 May 2002 13:54]

andrewvibert
Forums Junkie

Forum Sponsor

May 2002
Re: The 2t-geu, what kind of potential? Thu, 23 May 2002 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with Rodney .I have been playing with 2TG's for 10 years in various states of tune.200 hp at the flywheel is available out of a 1900cc + engine, but the same engine with 180/185 hp is a much more user frendly motor.
gene
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: The 2t-geu, what kind of potential? Fri, 24 May 2002 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow!

Thanks a lot fellas, thats a lot of information...!! Give me a few days to absorb it and i'll be back Smile. Thanks again!
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The 2t-geu, what kind of potential? Sat, 25 May 2002 13:50 Go to previous message
No worries Gene hope I didn't go overboard !

I tried to keep it as general as I could without making the info useless. There a few of us on these lists that still play with the 2TG's so if you need more detailed info one of us is sure to know ! Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1G GTE :MA 61 conversion
Next Topic:turbo & superchareger
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 05:56:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058290958404541 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.