Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Cruises and Events » Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Mon, 12 April 2004 01:01 Go to next message
Thanks to everyone who came to the Toyota Nationals especially those that traveled from Queensland, Victoria and Perth! We really hope everyone enjoyed themselves and it was worth the effort.

Unfortunately the event was marred by the theft of a digital camera from an entrants Celica in the hotels front car park. As the hotel was 95% booked out by Toyota Nationals it's a real possibility the theft was carried by an entrant or mates of an entrant. If the person who took the camera (or anything else for that matter) is reading this please return the camera to the Toyota Nationals PO BOX 270 Cessnock NSW 2325; no questions asked! If you know who took it, and want to do the right thing, send me an email and I will pass the info on to police.

Now with that out of the way, we are keen to start planning for next year so any feedback, good or bad, will help us to do that. All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks again.

Grant Blundell
Toyota Nationals Inc.

[Updated on: Mon, 19 April 2004 07:41]

Send a private message to this user    
DannyGT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member

May 2002

Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Mon, 12 April 2004 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

thanks for a great weekend grant!

i'll let you know feedback as it comes in but it was overwhelmingly positive!

the only 2 negatives were... the lack of room at toyota for the show'n'shine but this was unavoidable this year

...and many people did not feel that the 8thSin supra should have been invited... most notably many people were disgruntled that because it was a guest it got preferential treatment... many noses were out of joint when cars had to be moved at the matilda and at the show'n'shine to accomodate it

thanks grant!

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Mon, 12 April 2004 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Somewhere without these guys

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ma45/bug.JPG
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Mon, 12 April 2004 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant,
It was a tops weekend.

In response to Danny's post - having the 8THSIN Supra there made the event richer (in my opinion), Nabil, Romeo and Joe were there to have a good time (this was reflected with their collective positive attitude), and I believe that they caused very little disruption for other entrants.

That same evening that the camera was stolen, REPCO was broken into as well leaving me to think that htere may have been a thief (or thieves) working the locale - I hope that it was not another entrant that stole the camera, because that could stem the relaxed nature of the Nationals.

Suggestion - With the drag racing the quick 8 would be best off being run with a "heads up" round robin for the points. To have a quick 8 and then run it with a "dial your own" format is almost contradictory.

Suggestion - drag racing event for the girls, if they choose to compete in their own separate field.

Suggestion - trophy for the winners of each bracket.
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Mon, 12 April 2004 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with Jason about 8thsin attending, the guys were very approachable about the car & were great to talk to, believe it or not these guys did have a major part in building the car
DannyGT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member

May 2002

Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Mon, 12 April 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

i agree that the more variety of cars the better and that high profile cars should be encouraged... but i should clarify in regards to 8thsin... the issue people had was not that it attended (far from it) but that it was at times given preferential treatment

i should also point out that i was asked to pass on this comment from at least half a dozen people and that it doesn't necessarily reflect my own personal views

yes it was a guest and no doubt was promised certain things so i can personally understand the preferential treatment but to an extent i have to agree that on the surface it hardly looked fair for other entrants and that was their complaint

Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Mon, 12 April 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have heard a few comments about 8th Sin particularly the fact the car is sponsored and obviously would beat just about anything else at the Nationals (although Jason did come close!). To set the record straight though, we didn't "invite" 8th Sin it was FF&R who suggested he might like to come and contact was made that way. We all thought it would be kinda cool to have something like that at the event anyway. We didn't twist his arm to come and at the end of the day Nabil paid his money and put in an entry form like everyone else. He came because he liked what he'd been told of the event.

As for the moving cars thing, Nabil (or one his guys) apparently asked the hotel manager could they park out the back and he ok'd it. Again, at the show and shine he asked could he park on the grass, I asked Toyota and that was also ok'd. I could see how some may feel he got special treatment but it really wasn't like that.

Thanks for all the positive comments. We will do our best to iron out the bugs for next year especially the location of the show and shine and possibly (probably) hiring out the track for us only and running it the way we want to.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 April 2004 12:35]

FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Mon, 12 April 2004 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive never been the nationals, but i only hear great things and im sure the drive to dubbo is half the fun, but i would think that moving it too another venue would solve the bug problem.
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Mon, 12 April 2004 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the gallery is up with danny and my photos + a vid of yellorolla vs 8THSIN
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Mon, 12 April 2004 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1.) I think the biggest issue wasn't that the Supra was there... it was the trailer it was on...!

There were also several other cars which were trailered in the back lot and this caused issues with parking space.

2.) I also believe that the judges for the show and shine should have been selected so as they could not be biased (i.e. 8th sins pit crew judged the engine bays)

3.) A sprinter is a corolla!

4.) A seperate category should be made for vehicles using Avgas and or especially NOS in the drags

5.) Bring back the ppls choice awards!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Mon, 12 April 2004 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant and Toynats team - top shelf job on your first attempt at doing this entirely yourselves as an incorporated club, was excellent considering where this event came from prior to last year. But of course there are going to be lots of suggestions, just as there was last year.

Here are my suggestions/feedback:

1/ Car Club trophy. No im not saying this just cos Toymods has the advantage (mostly), but more that it would improve the club attendances - ie CCG, Toyota club of QLD, the newwie boys etc.

2/ An award for the "Blow-ya-load Conversion" of the event. Eg the drool following the first opening of Norbie's bonnet last year, and the looks of insanity from seeing Justin's engine bay this year.

3/ Biggest shitbox/sleeper award. Not all of us can afford to shine our cars! Maybe like a booby prize (eg, an ornamental can of degreaser)

4/ Perhaps a seperate place for the guys with car trailers to park their cars/trailers so that there is room out the back of the matilda. Im not trying to be mean to them, it just got pretty cramped out the back

Other than that, i was prety happy - and say sorry to those i kept from sleeping for most nights, but thats just what you get at the Toynats!
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Mon, 12 April 2004 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Grant for another great event...

i definately agree on the idea of the female events, would be great to encourage more girls to drive.

as for peoples choice, it ran last year and was quite unfair with some contestants managing to fill out a whole lot of cards for themselves.

perhaps an entrants choice instead, one vote per entrant number, and you cannot vote for your own car. Often the cars that win in a car show are judged on a different criteria than the people actually building a car would judge on.

and finally, bout the drags.... firstly, i agree with Jason about heads up for the top 8, bit unfair for a slower car to win top 8 because of dial in. the dial in was great fun, but perhaps in a different class.
As for the avgas and nitrous... i dont see why if you have built your car to a higher specification you should be punished. We all make different choices as to where to spend our cash, that is part of the fun, you get to see what works and what doesn't. I personally dont think Nabil (8thsin) could have run faster if he had used his nitrous as he didnt have the traction anyway.

Again thanks to all the people who made positive contributions to making this event as good as it was.

Cheers
Stew
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Mon, 12 April 2004 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok this is a small note
i know there weren't alot of fwd cars dragging this year(i think there was 2) but hopefully there should be alot more there next year, maybe a trophy for fastest FWD, there is a big difference from the FWD and RWD/4WD and this would encourage more fwd cars to enter the drags.

I had no problems with parking but then again i was out the front. Still the best weekend i have had in a long time.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Mon, 12 April 2004 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the weekend was excellant, well organised & well run.
The first time I've been, & I'm soooo wishing I'd been there last year as well.

My suggestions:

1. Another Trophy for those that won their class with the dial in times. It shows consistency in the driver, not just how quick, or how much money has been thrown at, the car. It measn some slower cars (like mine Laughing ) could have a chance, otherwise there's no point me trying.

2. Some events that involve turning corners, eg motorkana. I know my car is biased in this direction (& those who've been in it will testify), but not everyone is interested in straight line stuff only (although I'm slowly being turned)

3. I agree with the "Blow-Ya-Load Conversion" trophy from the Witzl. Justin's engine bay this year just had drops dropping.

4. I also agree with the "Best Sleeper" award, maybe have another for "Best Shitter". You can still have a nice looking sleeper (eg 2JZ-GTE Cressidas)

5. And yes a Sprinter is a Corolla!!!! Just like a Caldina is a Corona wagon
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Again I'll echo everyone else that it was a great event yet again. kudos.

Suggestions:

1. No car trailers out the back of the matilda. The guys with the trailers were great people, their cars were great etc. but the back isn't suited for car trailers.

2. Women's trophy, and maybe for dial-in times only (not off the bat) as we all know women are much more consistent in their times, and with 5 women dragging this year the cars they were in were all totally different.

3. Book the whole matilda for next easter

4. If we're too noisy outside &/or in the rooms, maybe talk to the Matilda people about letting us into the bar & eating area at night BUT we can bring our own drinks in. That way we're all contained and there is a wall between drinkers and sleepers. (I think the staff at the matilda loved the women that came along as they went and told all of them that it was happy hour and even opened the bar on the friday night)
3t-RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks go to Grant, Dave and Paul for the top weekend. As good as last year, especially seeming you guys organised and ran it from scrach this year, top job. I will see you guys this weekend but just some ideas so others can see.

Maybe a trophy for best overall. A car that may not be the best in every category (engine bay, paint, etc), but one that participate/perform in every event, show & shin and the drags (and what ever extra events next year).

Definitily a girls event/class next year at the drags after seeing 3 or 4 have a go this year and enjoying them selfs no end.

And just a comment for the people complaining about 8THSIN, just imagine if it was your supra and you got told to park it out the back or something. Also Nabil, Romeo and Joe were very approachable the whole weekend, helped with advise and time at the drags (video footage I seen of Romeo and Joe cleaning tyres off both Jamie from JT Racings ute and Jasons Corolla before their runs). I hope we as a group of Toyota enthusiasts we did enough so they want to come back next year.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Once again, no-one is complaining about the Supra, it was the car trailer and associated tow vehicle that caused the problem. Same goes for the other trailered cars.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the Supra and owners and pitt crew were great. They really got into the whole weekend and we all want them back next year. ... without a car trailer.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The showbags should contain vommit bags.

You know who you are Laughing
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Had an awsome time. (What I remeber anyway)

Real testoment to the guys that organised the event.

All I've got to say is just a bigger show and shine area and more driving events like burnout comp or go to woah.
ae86 Drifter
Regular

January 2004
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i thought the event was great,1st time 4 me.
Suggestions:1,bomb dubbo to get rid of the locusts.lol

Suggestions:2, maybe a driving event that is more then just straight line driving.

other then that,made sum new friends while there,and the cars were great,
see yas at next years event

cheers
Pete
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would like to add that I mde the comment during the drags that the "quick 8" should be run on a heads up basis and that 8THSIN and I ran our final race as a heads up - we both dialled 7.0 sec in order to run a heads up tree (because we both Nabil and I believed that it should have been a heads up event).

I beat him with a better drive at that moment, not with a DYO advantage.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like Drazas idea of FWD drag category, cause I was one of the 2 FWD cars that ran in the drags.

I also vote we find another town to bombard (althought this probably won't happen) I and a few others had alot of problems with the cops cracking down on us. (for this reason I don't know if I'll be back next year)

Smile Sad
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What were the cops pinging you for?
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they were bugging us mostly for exhausts not being factory standards. Tried to get me for taking there 2 only roundabouts, they say too quickly. even driving the speed limit down the main street wasn't good enough for them, they just pulled me over to see what they could get me for.

I know my car is legal, and on the roundabout issue I am from canberra (no explanation needed). It just an inconvienience.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what can you expect dude, this is a bogan town filled with V8 burnout heads who generally make a menace for the local enforcement.

I mean its no worse than Castle Hill for the same weekend - at least they didnt defect everyone they saw (i know of over 10 people now who got defected in caso this weekend)
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Tue, 13 April 2004 16:40

I and a few others had alot of problems with the cops cracking down on us. (for this reason I don't know if I'll be back next year)

Smile Sad

I didn't hear of anyone having problems with the cops cracking down on them. Do you really think that it was "the nationals" that caused them to look your direction, and not some behaviour that they may have taken exception to?
There is a big difference between the cops keeping an eye on you and them "cracking down".
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've heard word that the uni students that stayed after us had a 2 course BBQ done by the Matilda chef for about $15 a head. Might be worth looking into.
ae86 Drifter
Regular

January 2004
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my old man got pulled over out side the chinese shop near the matilda,uses prob seen me there,it was friday night,just a breath test thank god.hehehe
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i gotta say i did notice quite a hike in police activity. not 'nats-targeted' specifically but they certainly found all of these fast, loud, low cars very attractive...

the fact they were also carrying around the ADR's with the intent of using them for evil, not good, was not a good thing Sad

is easter the only time for holding this event? is it possible to pick a time NOT coinciding with major police operations and double demerits?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Tue, 13 April 2004 19:44

Actualy IMHO ride of the weekend go's to Ed's MA61 smooth on tap power... I think the ALL MOTOR bug is attacking me!

Well you did put a lot of effort into it not like you just wacked it in and turned the boost up and it can stil be granny driven when called for! IE cops everywhere IE dubbo!

Dubbo has way too many downfalls for for this kind of event, COPS, ROOS, BUGZ - nothing besides a zoo to visit... needs to be near the coast or something more interesting Dubbo IMHO

Allan

[Updated on: Tue, 13 April 2004 10:41]

DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just backin up what wiso said, i also was pinned by the cops, must of been a 162 thing, and when i cruised throu the main street the cops had set up a road side station with a tape measure......
i myt b with wiso and rent a sleeper cause i get no heat at home or caso, just my 2 cents
edit:
yeah dubbo is ok, but is there nowhere else with accomo and a drag strip we can use ?

[Updated on: Tue, 13 April 2004 11:03]

celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks all for all your comments
makes all the hard work worth it .

we appreciate your feedback and suggestions

a few things

1 a ladies trophy is 90% a goer ..just have to vote on it!!

2 ALL toyotas are welcome .on a trailer ,driven or carried in .
parking will be addressed

3 no special treatment was offered or given to 8thsin.the carport was organised through he motel and the grassed area was given to 8thsin after he requested it .
i can only hope we see more cars like this ..and we will try and get them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if anyone was given special treatment a unnamed toymods vehicle was allowed to stay in the show n shine even though they DID NOT fit conditions stated on the entry form .....why nice car(other than very rough on the exterior) .nice owner ,nice conversion

4 nos avgas slicks snake oil ..whatever.. its a race governed by ANDRA's rules .same rules if you race at the creek ...cant be any more fair than that . DONT FORGET A CERTAIN TOYMODS CAR RUNS AVGAS LAST YEAR AND THIS YEAR ...

5 bugs probably wont be an issue next year this is the first ive ever seen them in about 7 years of dubbo

6 ANY long weekend is heavily policed .TOO many cars drove TOO crazy both in and around the motel to not attract the cops .thats why we ask people to take it easy around the motel

changing to a differnt weekend will not effect the cops .and easter is the only 4 day long weekend

7 alternative venues for show n shine are already being considered .we simply cant estimate how many cars are coming until its too late .THIS IS ANOTHER REASON WHY WE NEED ENTRY FORMS EALRY....PLEASE GET THEM IN EARLY THIS YEAR IF YOU CAN FIND TIME TO BOOK YOUR ROOM YOU CAN FIND TIME TO FILL IN A FORM

8 Dubbo is currently the best venue for the event however alternative towns are being considered .

9 more driving events are top on our list .but its not as easy as you may think .but trust us we want them as much as you do .Insurance is a nightmare

10 a fwd catagory will be considered

11 Phill made a comment about running a sound off at the presentation dinner .HE IS NOT A TOYOTA NATIONALS CAR CLUB MEMBER OR OFFICIAL .
he did help us out with sponsorship this year .but should have spoken to us before he mentioned it

there wil NOT be a sound off !!!!!
your voting forms from last year and this year did not show ENOUGH interest at all in one . And time DOES not permit a sound off .particularly if you want other events as well

12 best sleeper is a good award we will consider it
...hmmm mx83 cressida with towbar,winnie the pooh sunshield, quiet exhaust toyota rims and chunky tyres . And ran an 8.58 1/8th mile ...heheheheeeeee i think i fit that catagory .hard one to judge though

13 Nabils mate was recommend as an experienced judge .and at the time of selecting him Nabil wasnt even going to enter show n shine . to even it out we asked a second judge to also enter a score . the second judge gave a MUCH higher score to 8th sin than nabils mate and if nabils mates scores ONLY where used .he would not have won . on combined points nabil won by 1 point

so therfore he was not AT ALL biased .
however it is our goal to ensure no chance of biased .a different judge will be selected for next year

14 in regard to noise . look guys we appreciate that you enjoy having fun we all do .
BUT it up to YOU to either be inside your room or somwhere else . consideration of other people ,familes etc has to be enforced .
you are MORE than welcome to attend next year .But find a way to have fun NOT at expense of others .this applies to ALL entrants .
ANY entrant keeping people awake until all hours ,reving cars at 5 am etc.will be removed from the event and asked to leave the motel WITHOUT a refund .We ARE prepared to involve the Police

i was under the impression that the noise problem had been settled.otherwise i would have spoken to you guys at the event .its obvious that from your postings you intend doing it again . my advice DONT !!!!!!!!!
please consider ALL entrants
If you dont like the arrangement at the matilda there are MANY other places you can stay .booking the entire motel (which we already have) .Does not change the fact that people where kept awake all night

all round everyone was great and i really appreciated all your comments .just remember we have to consider what is best for EVERYONE that attends the event.

we have had a quite few offers for help so im calling them in

we need the following .
1 an experienced web design person willing to donate their time
2 people to help with time keeping scoring bbqs etc

anyone that can help please email me celicamad@kooee.com.au

big thanks to the girls for bbq,nat for Video and Craig for helping with sponsorship

keep the ideas coming people we love your input
Esteban
Regular

June 2002
icon12.gif  Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didnt go, so boo, im already jealous. Razz

I second the motorkana idea however, since none of my cars (which will be coming next year!! Twisted Evil ) are drag orientated - as much fun as that is - I just like going fast/crazy around corners!
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one things a few of us chatted about was the possibility of a treasurehunt/waypoint rally...

you know, not the speeding type, but rather a series of clues, a dodgy map, digi cam, and a tank full of fuel. not everyone goes to the waypoints in the same order, but its all plotted out to basically end at the same place at about the same time.

something like that anyway Confused

just an idea
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon10.gif  Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant/Dave/Paul,

What can I say, It was a great weekend !

A couple of quick points. Firstly the drags,

If you run a Dial your own bracket then the winners at the track need to be the winners of the Trophies. There were 3 Finals, jason beat 8th Sin (On PUMP fuel, NOT AVGAS), Norbie beat Anthony and I can't remember for sure the 3rd one. At the trophy presentation, 8TH Sin got First while Jason got 3rd and Norbie got Nothing ! But enough of that I'm sure this won't be the case next year.

Parking - Each Room has at least one parking space. Those rooms with multiple vehicles are the ones that need to consider there parking issues. Matilda doesn't label all its spots which makes it hard. Car trailers are just plain disrespectful to other entrants, $5 car or $500,000 car. Each owner is entitled to the same treatment. ! NO room has a spot that suits a car trailer so to expect to be able to leave your car on a trailer is rediculous. 8THSIN deserved its own space, they paid for a room. They didn't require to leave the car on a trailer !

Noise - There is no way that many people in one place will be quiet. Accept that there will be some level of noise. My room was under the "party" room and bar the 2am singalong there was no real issue. One night there was a small gathering outside my window, they happily moved when asked to. There really wasn't any proplem that I am aware of ??
As a heads up, book early and book adjoining rooms. Jason and I both have young family's we have already booked for next year and will be in rooms 207 and 208. Josh has booked 306 above us. It will be Quiet Corner Smile

Trophies - You will never please everyone, I for example though Richard's MA46 should have one most unusual Toyota. I have seen alot more MS53 wagons that MA46's ! Run them as you see fit guys. You know what spreed of vehicles you expect to enter, you guys are the best informed to work out what will fit the bill.

Once again tho, hats off to the organisers was a great weekend and next year will be better again I am sure.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year

How about having it closer to Perth?? Very Happy

But seriously, loved the event.
Will be back next year WITHOUT fail.

And I'll second 99% of the suggestions listed above
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I only have two things to say,

Firstly it was an awesome weekend, well organised, great people, no idiots and generally people were considerate of others. It is great to see that the event is starting to attract some high profile cars and even better to see low budget cars compete with them in all arenas with success.

My only gripe is that all day sunday everyone was under the impression that the drag racing was a heads up event and assumed that the trophy's would reflect that. I have no problems with awarding the fastest cars with the trophy's but why run a dial in time if all you are racing for is the fastest time.

Thanks again to the organizers, awesome weekend and I can't wait till the next one.

Anthony
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a quickie bout the drags,
people were told that it was your fastest time card that would count for the drags.

the idea of the other events was just to give a bit of variety and experience. i know i had no idea how a dial in worked.

I agree with Niel for sure on the overall/grand champion style award for a car that does evetything well all weekend, though 8thsin should have probly won that too, but you have to expect a car that has had that sort of effort put into it to do very well.

As for the whole trailer thing... other than unloading when none of you were there yet, mine was out the back the whole time and not in anyones way.

Cheers
Stew
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Tue, 13 April 2004 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep was a great event and a big thanks too all who contributed to its organisation.

just one thing about that camera, it was mine that went missing if someone has or knows someone that has it could i please have it back there will be no questions asked, as there was some wedding photos on there from a couple of weekends ago that are non replacable, so even if i just got the memory card back it would be muchly appreciated thanks.
it went missing late saturday arvo in the front part of the motel, maybe near the pool where my car was parked?
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Wed, 14 April 2004 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celicamad wrote on Tue, 13 April 2004 22:38

4 nos avgas slicks snake oil ..whatever.. its a race governed by ANDRA's rules .same rules if you race at the creek ...cant be any more fair than that . DONT FORGET A CERTAIN TOYMODS CAR RUNS AVGAS LAST YEAR AND THIS YEAR ...

I ran AVGAS last year (approx 30% if any one's interested) But NOT this year. This year was a mixture of Dunedoo premium Laughing , BP ultimate and Nulon pro strength octane booster. As always, very little of what I run is secretive.

I personally wholly support people running whatever fuel that they can buy (I did afterall run AVGAS last year), and there's a question that goes "Do you wanna run fast or do you want to run pump gas?"

Those that buy fuel and tyres in order to get a better time are merely putting the effort in, and they therefore deserve to go faster.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 April 2004 00:11]

celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Wed, 14 April 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason i cant agree more .sorry i assumed you always run avgas

as Far as noise goes i was too far away and too pissed to hear jack shit just please make an effort next year so that everyone can get on.

WE have to address all gripes !parking will be sorted so if you guys can handle noise then hopefully all will be happy . Very Happy

Guys in relation to drag racing .
we had a drivers meeting at the beggining i told everyone at the beggining on the drags how it all works .
Fastest time on the day wins

at two other meetings i reminded people about time cards

we are happy to take a vote on the drag racing format

If we run drag racing regardless of the format .The trophies will AGAIN be awarded to the fastest time on the day .

That was how they where awarded last year .as well as this year

Norbie wasnt even in the top 8 .he ran(i belive) 8.80 this year and 8.78 last year

im not having a go at Norbie but 10th fastest BARELY desrves a trophy . Last year he was fastest over 2500 forced induction as was Andrew with 8.78(i believe).so therfore recieved a trophy

we are trying to get official time sheets from dubbo city car club .so these times should be correct but are not official

a Rough top ten for this year was
8th sin ..................................... 7.68
mathew RA23 celica 1jzgte gt3540 ............ 7.93
Jason .. (yellow corolla).....................7.96
Jamie jt racing ute 1jzgte....................8.44
Craig green commodore 1jzgte................. 8.50
Stuey 1ggte Celica Ra28...................... 8.56
Me 1jzgte Cressida ...........................8.58
Andy jza70 supra .............................8.58
Matt black jza70 ............................ 8.66
Norbie 2jzgte ................................8.80

please correct me if any of these are wrong
Cheers

pps if i forgot any suggestions already made please remind me
again thanks for your suggestions and good comments

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Wed, 14 April 2004 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm just sorry I couldn't make it this year... sounds like I missed out on a blast. But neither was my car working (still being worked on...), nor my wallet accommodated for such a trip. But I'll still get a t-shirt for the initial effort put into trying to get there this year (I guess you could call it bad time-management..) and even now I'm still running into problems with the setup of the stock drivetrain over the GT-Four conversion. I'm told that it will all be good though. Surprised
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Wed, 14 April 2004 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the event was great!
i had a great weekend as ussual, and cant wait for next year.

i think the only thing i would like to ad is that it would be great to see some other events, especially a motorkhana or go to whoa,

keep up the good work guys,

just one quick question... whats the go with toyota nationals club??

are the entrants members to the club?
a little confused..

thanks heaps for the great weekend guys! look forward to next year

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Thu, 15 April 2004 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it's great to award the fastest cars. They deserve the accolades for their achievements. I just don't see the point in setting a dial in time, only to be penalised for breaking it, but being awarded for having the fastest time. There is no logic in that format.

It should be either run without handicaps or awarded according to the race results.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Thu, 15 April 2004 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
regarding the noise and partying..... is it actually possible for us to use the bar area next year? I doubt any of us would have a problem staying in there rather than outside our rooms, especially if everyone was recommended to do so by organisers for the sake of those with families.

That said, i was pretty much a part of all the partying out the back corner, and only receieved a couple of complaints from people about noise.

I hope all you organisers arent taking these suggestions the wrong way - everyone had an awesome weekend!
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Thu, 15 April 2004 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i will contact the Matilda and ask for the bar to be opened .
although i doubt they would keep it open to 3am etc

how would you guys feel if we hired a gazebo and some chairs and got permission from one of the businesses (the ones in the back lane)to use their land .then you can have as much fun as you like without disturbing others . We will buy some chips,dips etc

dont get me wrong either i love a good piss up . But on the weekend a few of us needed our beauty sleep ...especially me (pretty little thing i am)

our goal is to keep everyone happy!!!!!!!!!!!

parking will also be addressed with permission we will put cars in the skefco carpark . If we can do it then we will hire some security fencing for this carpark

O.k i hope this will satisfy all . for next year we will get a security guard . this will hopefully solve stealing issues . he will also be in charge of parking etc

dont worry the organisers also had a great weekend . WE ARE JUST TRYING TO IMPROVE THE EVENT FOR NEXT YEAR

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Thu, 15 April 2004 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup it's easy for us to bitch about the little things, but it was a really well run and organized weekend. Everyone that I spoke to had a great time regardless of misadventure and all are keen to come again next year.

Oh and don't get personally offended about everyones comments, the title of your post is "Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year". Unless I am mistaken, everyone agrees that you have done a fantastic job, these are purely suggestions for next year. I would hate to think that there is ill feelings now when the general concensus was great.

Sensational job fellas and thankyou for all your hard work.

Looking forward to the next one.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Thu, 15 April 2004 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I personally think a security guard would be overkill. Money could be better spent elsewhere.
The stealing issue would be averted if some precautions were made, like securing valuables. I don't agree that we should have to make precautions, but its a big myth that country towns are theft free. I know, I've lived out west.
I know thats a harse thing to say, but would you do it in the middle of Sydney?
I do agree though that the theft is a low act no matter what.

Advice for security fence: when your order it, find out how many panels there are & get that same number of short lengths of chain + locks (I may be able to borrow some locks for the weekend from work). Its too easy to just undo the panels with a shifter spanner to remove them altogether.
3t-RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Thu, 15 April 2004 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh guys I think I winged about the noise over the weekend a fare bit. I was in room 303 (people were sitting right in front of our window). Friday night I went to bed about 1.00am but couldn't get to sleep until about 3.00am due to noise and to my bed stinking of cigarette smoke and then was up about 6.00am that morning. The next night didn't worry me as much as you guys were a bit quiter and the fact I was completely rooted. Grant slept in my room on Friday night so he will understand how noisy you guys were. Now without anyone taking this the wrong way, it should not be up to others to stay in different rooms away from your rooms or anything like that. We are grown people (most of the time), and if a minority are going to make noise while have a good time than maybe they should have gone down on the grass/carport section away from the rooms, you were sitting outside anyway. We all know the issue with limited space at the Matilda for both cars and people. You should not wait until someone has to ask you to be quite before you do something. I know the same goes for prople reving engines in the morning, but that is the reason we are all there, for a good time and enjoy our cars. I think we just need to find a happy medium.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Thu, 15 April 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We never said we were going to be quiet! Quite the opposite. We told you exactly what room we'd be IN. Instead we ended up sitting outside. If we were actually IN 304 (which Grant actually suggested quietly the next day, and which I did relay on to the other people) it would be MUCH NOISYER in room 303 (through the wall).

As for cigarette smoke, the rooms on the bottom floor are the NON smoking rooms. The rooms on top (starting at the 300s) are for smoking people. Talk to the management at the Matilda that your pillow smelled, not us.

We'll see about using the grass section next time, or going inside the bar. Someone might need to be responsible for it and have a key to lock it when everyone goes to bed. We'll talk to the Matilda guys about it.

Now heres lots of warning: I've already booked 304 again this year.
3t-RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Thu, 15 April 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now that didn't take to long for someone to come back reading it the wrong way did it.
I do remember saying for no one to take it the wrong way, that's right I just went over what I wrote again and it dose say not to take it the wrong way, but anyway.

1.Regarding the fact you told me what room you would be in. I have not got a clue who in the hell you are and you didn't tell me what room you were going to be in.

2.Regarding the cigarette smoke, I now know the difference between the rooms which I didn't find out about until Saturday when I complained to the Matilda management. I don't recall asking you to give a shit.

3.What makes you think your that important that your 2 or 3 rooms in that one corner should have the privilege of making as much noise as you feel half the night/morning and making it OK because you think you supposedly warned everyone what room you were in. Did you warn the people with the 6 kids staying in the room below, I think not.

4."or going inside the bar. Someone might need to be responsible for it and have a key to lock it when everyone goes to bed." Here's a thought, how about you take responsiblity for your own actions and if you are allowed to use the bar lock the door yourselves.

5.I was offering some suggestions on how to improve the accommidation issues for next year seeming the noise seems to be an issue. The people who seem to be getting the most agro over this issue seems to be the guys who were making the noise. I guess you also expect the event to change for the better in some respects but stay the same for you guys?

HOW ABOUT WE THINK OF THE EVENT AND NOT OURSELVES.
pimp1j
Regular

November 2003
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Thu, 15 April 2004 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant and other organisers... That back ally is also access way to homes and over that back fence are houses all along that road and around. Personally i think people should respect that it is a residential area and partying till 3am is uncalled for.

I personally don't like to drink at all if i'm planning to be driving a car at speed. Even though you might be under the limit the next day, your body is still recovering. Laying off the drinks might pick you up that half a second some people are complaining about not achieving!! Smile

Isn't the Toyota Nationals a DRIVING event?? Surely as adults drinking and having fun can go on till midnight but maybe organisers could have a lights out time??

Alternatly... people wanting to experiment with drinks and drugs till early hours of the morning can stay on a farm some place.

Your thoughts?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Thu, 15 April 2004 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only suggestion i have over an otherwise awesome event would be motorkana or track work ..

not everyones into drag or set up for straight line speed , and it would be awesome seeing nimble sprinters , gt4's and supras ETC strutting their stuff in corners as well, or sleepers like the cressidas that have been modified , cuttign an otherwise hot lap in a sleeper car Wink ..

Re other venues - another idea would be a summer/easter nats type event - maybe have one at the traditional dubbo - and another elsewhere - with a circuit incolved ( eastern creek , winton etc ) say in summer .

Sydney would be a good suggestion IMHO for a secondary event like this - as its central to vic NSW and qld where the majority of dubbo attendees come from ( sorry west coasters )Anyway - thats my 2c - im bummed i couldnt come this year ( because of broken car-itis ) but i plan - once again - luck holding - to catch up with all my toymods and TCCA-q mates on 2005
FLYNSX
Regular

May 2003
    flyn
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Thu, 15 April 2004 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a few comments to make i was just having a read on what every1 said and iam dissapointed there wont be a sound off next yr i know there is alot of cars out there not just mine with kick ass sound systems. I noticed alot of old skool celicas and supras there which is cool every1 has the own opinion and taste but in saying that i think you need to attract a wider body of toyotas there more fwd not just rollas, i know of a few starlets and eco's etc that would blow alot of ppls minds away. As for clubs i was abit dissapointed that my club sydney rolla club hasnt been or wasnt mentioned at all over the weekend i know i was the only entry from the club but there were a few cars from my club that did enter but couldnt make it up there. Maybe a trophy is needed for wildest body kit and even best paint. As for ppl saying the judges were biest i dont agree at all the front end of my car was written off on the way to dubbo and if it was any other car show that i was entering they would have told me to get stuffed but the boys still let me enter and compete which iam very thankful for nice to know they didnt take the smash into consideration when judging my car it made the win so much more special for me knowing that these guys could c how much hard work i have put into my car over the past few weeks. I would also like to agree with alot of other ppl need a bigger place to hold the show and show or better still move the event, Dubbo is in the middle of butt fucked idahoe as alot of us called it over the weekend. Iam not blaming any1 for me hitting the roo on the way up there but if these event was helded closer to sydney i think there would of been less likly chance of me hitting a roo. Hold the event at eastern creek race way they just had the Fast Fours Jamboree there and i heard that it went well but in saying that it's just a susjustion
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Thu, 15 April 2004 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys.. I didn't go sorry, but you know I wanted to.

anyway 2 things that would make it very attractive to me next year (though I plan to come anyway) would be:

a) A real 1/4 mile
b) Track work/motorkahana

thanks! Very Happy Wink - Rob
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Fri, 16 April 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok
its QUITE obvious what the issues are

1. noise .considering one of the organisers was kept awake most of the night there was definaltey too much noise on FRIDAY night

secondly the fact that the people making the noise made an effort on the sat night is great Smile .

All the organisers are saying is PLEASE consider others .

it has been decided there WILL be Security reports of local...ummmm ....locals Rolling Eyes hanging around the motel has also promted this .Repco was also broken into over the weekend .

Security will be in charge of

1. Parking ( a designated area for trailers will be provided)
2. Patrolling cars in front and rear of hotel
3. aiding people with security ( a NUMBER of items where stolen)
4. noise ...regardless of how much warning or notice you give people ,respectable noise levels in or around rooms WILL be enforced
security will be cheap ....we have our contacts in Dubbo !!!

we will endeavour to find somewhere for you guys to enjoy yourselves Smile .

2.. Parking
i have already addresed this .we consider parking passes coloured stickers or something . But really the best way to handle it is to be a little patient some rooms have 2 or three cars .

3 show n shine ...YES DEFINATLEY BIGGER VENUE .
but help us help you!! get your forms in early this year .
60% of entrants forms where recieved AFTER the due date

Now can we please drop the noise parking etc (it will be handled)
and continue with your input.

ok big group hug Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
this is why we have this post to make things better for next year

WE are not pissed at anyone Very Happy TRUST ME I"LL MAKE SURE EVERYONE KNOWS IF I AM .
im just not a subtle person ...makes life easier
we actually want all this shit out in open so we can fix it

comments good or bad help the event to get better every year

oh yeah driving events

we will do as much as possible to get as many as possible .
BUT its difficult and expensive

we will try to get an alternaitive town/venue .But dont hold your breath its not as easy as you may think .The drag racing is currently run by Dubbo city car club

The event will not be held in or around Sydney . the people from QLD have to be considered as well.also venue costs have to be considered

oh yeah dial in's ...BAD idea i cant agree more ...we learn from experience Very Happy

FLYNSX
we hope to see SRC there in force next year .thats really up to the individual club .sorry "no sound off" we will vote agin next year .sorry but the descision is made by the votes from the entrants that actually attend the event over the last few years

again everyone thankyou for your comments about the event .

if anyone has a bitch and doesnt want to make a public issue of it . feel free to email me celicamad@kooee.com.au.

[Updated on: Fri, 16 April 2004 00:34]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Fri, 16 April 2004 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celicamad wrote on Fri, 16 April 2004 10:26

The event will not be held in or around Sydney . the people from QLD have to be considered as well.also venue costs have to be considered

From my experience with Dubbo accomodation prices last year, Dubbo is one of the dearest towns that I've stayed at. If I remember correctly, $100pp/pn for a crappy room in a motor inn?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining (I didn't back then, and I won't now), it's just that it can't be called cheap.

Or do you mean something else when you say "venue costs"?

How's about Goulburn? Very Happy
It's near Wakefield... Now there's your track event! Wink
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Fri, 16 April 2004 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
re alternative venues - its great for the dubbo guys to invite us to use their town and strip , even if in the middle of nowhere - and were all thankful for at least that im sure ..

What are the critera you run with grant/celicamad when running the event for facilities and allowances ( ie public liability issues )

re location , what other places could be considered ? Not knowing NSW all that well , is there a place outside fo the likes of eastern creek or wakefrield that have drag facilities and or short sprint track ? ( or both in close proximity ? )Ideally a place in NSW would be the best for us to stage an alternative to dubbo( central for most people )

Calder park is the only one in vic that comes to mind with both strip and track access on the one facility
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Toyota Nationals - Feedback & Suggestions for Next Year Fri, 16 April 2004 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Goulburn is 1.5h inland from Sydney and 1h north of Canberra so it's not part of any major cities.
Wakefield does not have a drag strip that I'm aware of, but we could always just line on up the start/finish line...

Booking the circuit at Easter time may be a BIG issue though... Smile

The only other track that I'm aware of is Oran Park, but that's on the fringes of Sydney.
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:QLD 25/4/04 cruise today/tonite?
Next Topic:JT Racing Pics
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 09:17:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0089671611785889 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.