Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

cressida steering box in a ta23 Mon, 12 April 2004 10:17 Go to next message
just wondering if the cressida steering boxes will fit a ta23 or even go close to. Would be alot better then rack and peanut as the cressidas have power steering.
  Send a private message to this user    
celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Mon, 12 April 2004 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i have been wondering the same thing with my ra40.. i have been thinking if the p/s box from the 82 model crassidas will fit.... i ahve compared the 2 and they look to be the same size but i am not sure bout mounting i will some day measure it up but i dont think it will be to much of a problem.
anybody know if it has been done?
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Mon, 12 April 2004 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have no idea, but thechuckster was talking about it the other day as well, I can take a photo of what a MX62 one looks like if that would help in anyway.

Cheers
Wilbo
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Mon, 12 April 2004 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
about 18months ago i was geared up to put power steer into my RA40.

short of finding an MA45 unit which will bolt right in i measured up the MX32 and 62 cressida boxes.

from my measurements i found that they would bolt straight in but was unable to confirm if the steering arm at the bottom of the s/box would bolt up to the drag link.

possible solution would be to use the arm off the existing s/box

HTH
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Tue, 13 April 2004 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chuckster pics sound good!
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Tue, 13 April 2004 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Talking to chuckster is where i got the idea from and we were at the wrecker and checked one out. They look pretty close and the plan was to use my ta23 pitman arm. I think i will just get one and try sticking it in. Sounds like the only way.
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Tue, 13 April 2004 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
interesting... are there non power steering versions of these cressida's??

Is it true you cannot rebuild ta/ra 23 boxes anymore?

Daniel
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Tue, 13 April 2004 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke70 rack is rumoured to be a close fit with not much work required...swap the whole column in fact from the 70 to the 22 and its supposed to all work well.

maybe worth speaking with joel on here as he has done this to his celica (sorry joel i think your car is an ra28, apologies if i'm wrong)
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Tue, 13 April 2004 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think there are non power steering versions. I dont know about not being able to rebuild them anymore. Go power steering anyway.
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Tue, 13 April 2004 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega wrote on Tue, 13 April 2004 20:12

ke70 rack is rumoured to be a close fit with not much work required...swap the whole column in fact from the 70 to the 22 and its supposed to all work well.

maybe worth speaking with joel on here as he has done this to his celica (sorry joel i think your car is an ra28, apologies if i'm wrong)

us RA ers have a different crossmember layout to you TA ers because we dont have a front sump so i think it would be quite difficult to adapt it to the car. Unless of course we used a TA23 x member and custom sump etc. anyone know if corona or hilux 18r's were front sumped?

Daniel

[Updated on: Tue, 13 April 2004 10:38]

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Tue, 13 April 2004 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope MX62's did not come in non-powersteering version, I'll try and orginise some pics tomorrow...

Cheers
Wilbo
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Tue, 13 April 2004 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
munki wrote on Tue, 13 April 2004 20:37

anyone know if corona or hilux 18r's were front sumped?

From memory the RT104 corona was a front sump 18R

Allan
celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Tue, 13 April 2004 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aah yeha i forgot to add.. yeah as robra40 said the pitman arm( one that bolts to the draglink from box) on the crassida is longer so you will haveta use the ra40 pitman arm... if the box is a straight bolt in then we are laffing Very Happy might go ahead with it.. now gotta find a p/s pump that will adapt to the 18rg Smile fun fun
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Tue, 13 April 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Tue, 13 April 2004 20:59

munki wrote on Tue, 13 April 2004 20:37

anyone know if corona or hilux 18r's were front sumped?

From memory the RT104 corona was a front sump 18R

Allan

thanks Allan, that makes it a whole lot easier. perhaps i will do it one day...
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Tue, 13 April 2004 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my (often wildy innacurate) haynes manual for celica 1971-85 has a power-assisted steering box shown in the suspension section - but doesn't indicate which years had them. the section dose say that removal/fitting is same for manual & power-assisted boxes.

but... none o fthe engine drawings/pictures for the 18R have a power steer pump.

if you did do this, the some custom fab'ed brackets would be required - or you could use the a/c compressor mount & idler arm.

22RE would be a good donor engine for a pump.
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Tue, 13 April 2004 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't trust a word that haynes manual says on stuff like that - it's supposedly for all models but is based on a pull down of like an american ra60 or some shit - really useless for ta22, slightly less useless for ra23/28 (at least they have r series motors)
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Tue, 13 April 2004 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the celica power steering box does exist, just not in australia, an example of which is on the MA45 supra. Not sure what countries actually got a celica with power steering.

as fortunate as i am to have a contact who owns a few MA45's i am unable to aquire a power steering box as they are too rare to give away/sell.

makes me kick myself that a fellow a few years ago was wrecking an MA45 in perth but i was un-able to afford buying parts from him at the time.

ahh well.. all of this lead me to hunt out MX32-62 box, which i measured as well as i could manage at a wrecking yard. I have drawn diagrams and made measurments on paper at home and will scan them if anyone wants.

i gave up on doing it at the time but now am re-considering it as my existing steering is too sloppy. I will talk to a few steering experts and find what is better to get rebuilt, as there is no garuntee that the MX32-62 ps/box will be any "tighter" than anyones existing ps/box (i mean it is a luxo-barge after all)

HTH
celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Wed, 14 April 2004 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there will be slop whent he engine is turned off but when ya turn the engine on and the power steering box gets some pressure most of that slop goes away
i am stil gonna measur eit up for my 40 Very Happy there are both ra40 and a crassida with the box in it at the same wreckers so be easy to find out Very Happy
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Wed, 14 April 2004 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Wed, 14 April 2004 07:40

makes me kick myself that a fellow a few years ago was wrecking an MA45 in perth but i was un-able to afford buying parts from him at the time.

Yep, how times change! I've wrecked a few MA45's and never once was able to sell the power steering out of them!
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Wed, 14 April 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive found the bit of scungy paper i made measurements on

trouble is i cant remember if its from the RA40 or MX32 DO'H heheh ahh well ill scan it when i get to work.

people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Wed, 14 April 2004 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hope ur not planning putting the ta23 crossmember in your 23 to use with the 18rgu. I did this in my ta23. I moved the mounts all the way to the front of the crossmember and they still didnt line up with the engine. they needed to sit about 3inch of the front of the crossmember and would never be legal. Just put the cressida box in. It shouldnt matter in sizes because the celicas have steering boxes anyway.
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Wed, 14 April 2004 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
planning no

dreaming yes.

sounds interesting though since i replaced all my other steering parts the box feels worse than before. Ill let u guys work it out first Very Happy

Daniel
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Thu, 15 April 2004 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone got pics of the MX32 and 62 cressies? i wanna know what im looking for when i go hunting

oh chuckster you got that pic yet?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Thu, 15 April 2004 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
me ... pictures?

i've got t/port at the moment guys... when i'm at wreckers next, i'll take a camera and ruler?
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Thu, 15 April 2004 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
opps i mean willbo

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Fri, 16 April 2004 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soz guys, been flat out, this arvo I promise Very Happy

Cheers
Wilbo
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Fri, 16 April 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, they are the crappiest pics in the world (sorry, I swear that I will take some better ones when I actually get it out, which won't be long)

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/Cressida%20Parts/PS%20Pump/Dsc00183.jpg

http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/Cressida%20Parts/PS%20Pump/Dsc00185.jpg

Cheers
Wilbo
celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Fri, 16 April 2004 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm looks liek it might fit in my 40 Very Happy
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Fri, 16 April 2004 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers wilbo just what the doctor ordered pics are fine!!!
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Sat, 17 April 2004 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone know if the ta23 pitman arm will fit the cressida box. Ill most likely get the box tomorrow and let yas know what i find.
celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Sat, 17 April 2004 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i will let ya knwo right now.. i went to the wreckers today and found that the crasida steering box is alot longer then the ra40 box.. prolly be same with ta23 box
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Sat, 17 April 2004 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do the bolts line up though or is it a total no fit
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Sat, 17 April 2004 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celicaboy wrote on Sat, 17 April 2004 13:37

i will let ya knwo right now.. i went to the wreckers today and found that the crasida steering box is alot longer then the ra40 box.. prolly be same with ta23 box

when ya mean longer do u mean, it extends further to the front of the engine?

is it any higher?

Quote:

anyone know if the ta23 pitman arm will fit the cressida box. Ill most likely get the box tomorrow and let yas know what i find.

if the ra40 item does i would say the ta23 item would
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Sat, 17 April 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont think it really matters if it goes further foward or higher..theres plenty of room in my bay...only things we need to know is if the bolt holes line up and if the steering lines up where it goes to the steering wheel....I think its bigger because it has to house fluid and stuff isnt it?????shouldnt hake a difference though.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Sat, 17 April 2004 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what else do ya need to get the power steering to work?

lines? container? pump any thing else?
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Sat, 17 April 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo can u explain the system for me

like where each hose goes to etc tar

craig
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Sat, 17 April 2004 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats about it...just keep note from when you to take it off
celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Sat, 17 April 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah it seemed to bolt up the same but i dunno if it will line up with the steering column it seemed to eb alot longer.. i just had a quick look will haveta measure the offset of the 2 to see if it will be good gonna go back and measure tomorrow if i get time
celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Sun, 18 April 2004 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i went to wreckers and measures the offset and it bolts up the same as i prolyl already said but the crassida is 2 inches longer from the monting studs to the steering column lincage so you wil haveta move the box faward to make it fit and maybe get a universal linkage. moving box faward means then you will haveta find a really short pitman arm to fit
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Wed, 21 April 2004 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
has anyone bought a box yet? if so how much ya pay??

im having trouble locating one
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Wed, 21 April 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can get them in brissy wreckers for about $30....Not sure if ya wanna be buying one thoug because it means drilling holes in the rails to mount it
celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Wed, 21 April 2004 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iw as thinking maybe a hilux one might fit? not sure on ti though
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Wed, 21 April 2004 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought it was a direct bolt in?
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Wed, 21 April 2004 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive your talking about the cressida one then yes i think? it is a direct bolt it but because of the (power) part with the fluid on the back of the box it pushes the steering knuckle(pad) back approx 2 inches so in theary the actual box needs to go foward 2 inchs which means drilling new holes in tyhe rails and then shorting a pitman arm. Not sure about the hilux but i thought they were a totally different setup
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Wed, 21 April 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what happened to my reply?

anyway

im sure it wont be to hard

people 100 do u mind posting me one?

people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Thu, 22 April 2004 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are u talking the cressida one...shouldnt be to difficuklt all depending on the weight on one of them...do u think it would go in aussie post???
celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Fri, 23 April 2004 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i am not to sure on hilux ones either it has just been a thought for a while.. will have a look next time one comes into work
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Wed, 28 April 2004 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah postage should be no wucken furries,

celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: cressida steering box in a ta23 Sat, 01 May 2004 03:48 Go to previous message
i was thinking maybe the crassida steering column might be shorter... if this is the case then it might all fit after all... but then will the crassida steering column bolt up into the celicas? Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ae86 high beam / indicator stalk problem
Next Topic:21rc dizzy
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 08:54:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067541599273682 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.