Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SprinterBoy
Regular

January 2004
Painting with 2pak Tue, 13 April 2004 05:43 Go to next message
Ok, i've sprayed a few cars before but i've sparyed with enamel paints and the shit stuff you get from auto barn, now i'm keen to try 2pak so i spayed the bonnet on my old corona, came up really bad, no runs just real bad orange peel in it, coz if i can't sort this out i'll go back to the old paints.

the conditions were good, 25ish deg, mixed 2parts paint to 1 part resin/hardner. and add thinners, ok, point out what i'm doing wrong. Please!!!!
  Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Painting with 2pak Tue, 13 April 2004 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude I know extremely little in this area but a peel is usually a sign of an incorrect primer/prep yeah?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Painting with 2pak Tue, 13 April 2004 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think 2-pak needs it's own flavour of primer?

i found this with a google serach for "surface preparation 2-pak paint"
<http://athene.riv.csu.edu.au/~gmatth10/paint.html>
which seems to indicate a 2-pac primer over any surface preparation work.

the manufacturer should have product/safety sheets on the paints.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Painting with 2pak Tue, 13 April 2004 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dunno if it requires its own primer, more than likely...it seems to need hardeners and all that other shit so i'd suppose as much.

orange peel in paint can be a couple of things - too hot a surface you're spraying on perhaps?

i won't paint with 2 pack. aside from the new regulations around spraying with it do a google on isocyanate.

actually i'll save you the trouble : http://www.oehha.ca.gov/air/chronic_rels/pdf/methy liso.pdf

so yeah. wear good breathing apparatus (like a sealed o2 tank on your back)

SLY16V
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Painting with 2pak Tue, 13 April 2004 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude orange peel is a sign of not enough thinners. if the surface is bare metal then it needs to be primed but if theres paint on it sand the gloss off it with 800grit sand paper then mix the paint with however much thinners it says( mostly a 1:1 ratio) spray that on in light coats then wait 30mins or so to let it dry, then mix the hardener and the clear up together(usally a 2:1 ratio) then do 2 dry coats of this mixture(dont look for a gloss just yet) leave 10mins flash off time between coats then do one big wet coat (make sure you covered the whole painted surface with a wet coat otherwise it will look crap) now leave this to dry for however long it says without touching it till hard dry....
you should be sweet or though ive noticed painting in my garage with 2pack alot of dust and crap lands on the painted surface but this can always be cut out later on with 1600-2000grit sand paper then polished...

goodluck mate,
cheers
SprinterBoy
Regular

January 2004
Re: Painting with 2pak Wed, 14 April 2004 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the help, i spoke to a paint guy, he told me it was mainly a lack of thinners thing, got plenty of gloss, just orange peel, i'll post up some photos of the sprinter when she's done, had a minor ding at the nationals this weekend, was playing silly buggers on the dirt and hit a large metal beam laying in the grass.
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: Painting with 2pak Sun, 18 April 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude,
Gregas right. 2 Pak is very nasty stuff. Unless you have a full positive air pressure mask then you should not be touching that gear. It will kill you!
Even the best face mask won't save you as the chemicals are aborbed through your skin and eyes.
Safety first, after that you should start talking about how to get a good finish.
Acrylic is a much safer option and its a paint that you can get an extremely good finish with as well.

Simon
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Painting with 2pak Sun, 18 April 2004 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well said simon.
how much is a good paintjob vs your life worth?
SprinterBoy
Regular

January 2004
Re: Painting with 2pak Mon, 19 April 2004 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, i know of all the hazards, i were a full body suit and head mask, no skin open to air, and a Great Mask, that i have covered. plus, i now have a better way, i found a guy how can spray the car for 1000bucks, great finish, just gotta suply paint, drive in-drive out. think thats the safest cheapest way so far.
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: Painting with 2pak Mon, 19 April 2004 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool, sounds like you have it sorted...
SLY16V
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Painting with 2pak Wed, 21 April 2004 16:02 Go to previous message
i would of painted it for cheaper than that Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Where to get twin carbs tuned in BRIS/GC area?
Next Topic:WRC Celica Specs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 15:46:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0037651062011719 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.