Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Why don't my reverse lights work in my camry

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CHiMPY
Occasional Poster

December 2003
icon5.gif  Why don't my reverse lights work in my camry Thu, 15 April 2004 03:33 Go to next message
I have a 1990 model camry. The other day I noticed that my reverse lights do not work.

Today I had a look and have concluded that the bulbs themselves look in perfect condition. There is no sign of a fuse for the reverse lights (unless its on the passenger side somewhere).

I can't for the life of me figure out where else to look. So sine I am told you lot are the place to ask, I'm asking. What can i check/replace to get my stupid reverse lights to work??

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Why don't my reverse lights work in my camry Thu, 15 April 2004 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well at least now i know my Camry isn't the only one to have this fault. I have heard it has something to do with the netural saftey switch???
Anyway i think there is something in the trans that needs replacing, but i haven't bothered to get it looked at yet.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Why don't my reverse lights work in my camry Thu, 15 April 2004 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you recently put/had installed a schtereo mate?
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Why don't my reverse lights work in my camry Thu, 15 April 2004 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camry_omega wrote on Thu, 15 April 2004 15:14

Well at least now i know my Camry isn't the only one to have this fault. I have heard it has something to do with the netural saftey switch???
Anyway i think there is something in the trans that needs replacing, but i haven't bothered to get it looked at yet.

yeah my parents camry has the same problem the reverse lights haven't worked science 1994 you are right about the netrual safety swich Camry_omega as a combined netural and reverse light switch is installed only on automatic camrys I ask is it auto or manual? as they are different to fix the on manuals (like mine) but if its auto I'd say there would be a fair chance of it
DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Why don't my reverse lights work in my camry Thu, 15 April 2004 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
His camry is manual and yes he just had a schtereo put in.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Why don't my reverse lights work in my camry Thu, 15 April 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the schtereo thing bets me mate but I will try to find out what it is but I'm not sure as to why a schtereo installation would hurt it though maybe some else can help on that mater? as for the passenger side fuse box I'm pretty sure it has your fuse for air con and a circuit breaker for the heater the reverse lamp on the manual camrys are located on the back of the manual transaxle I have never had to fix this problem on mine yet but have been told you can check it by disconecting the wiring connector at the reverse lamp switch and making a bridging wire between the negitave and positve terminals on the reverse switch connector and turning the ignion to the on postion (don't start it) if the reverse lights light up the switch is the problem? (don't know if true though) I will look it up in my gregorory's automotive book if I can find the bloody thing! I'm not some what confident in doing it though I'd rather take it to an auto-electrition but thats just me
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Why don't my reverse lights work in my camry Thu, 15 April 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh ok well mine is an auto so its probably a different thing, is the switch hard/expensive to replace?
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Why don't my reverse lights work in my camry Thu, 15 April 2004 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
price:- can't really say mate me parents are the only ones I knew before I read this thread who had the problem I think I remeber me old man getting a quote years ago but till this day they still have not been fixed no attempt to fix it either! so must of cost a bit dunno

getting to the switch:- the switch is located some where behind the gear selector lever don't know if its easy to get to or not never done it before or heared of anyone doing it before but remember to check that if the switch needs adjusting after playing around with it the saftey switch is there so the car can only be started in park or netural I'll see if me old man knows how muuch it was going to cost but remeber it would be a 1994 price may or may not be cheaper
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Why don't my reverse lights work in my camry Thu, 15 April 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just consulted my workshop book its actually located on the front of the automatic transaxle bechind the selector lever hope this is of any help
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Why don't my reverse lights work in my camry Fri, 16 April 2004 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that could be a pain to get to without putting the car on a hoist, but i think the problem is a loose connection as this could also explain why my car wont start sometimes untill i fiddle with the wiring loom near the transaxle.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Why don't my reverse lights work in my camry Sat, 17 April 2004 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmm that very interesting I'd say with me parents car it defently the switch then as they have no problems starting it but looking at this wiring diagram I can see why you think its a loose connection by the looks of it when you have trouble starting it will the starter attempt to start the engine?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Why don't my reverse lights work in my camry Sat, 17 April 2004 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with most auto's the:
-reversing light switch is on the gearbox
-the neutral safety switch is wired from inside the cabin and is aattached to the gear selector

the reversing light switch closes (shorts) to tuyrn on reversing lights

the neutral safety switch closes (shorts) when car is in P or N so you can safely start the car

Auto gearboxes with ECU's may add to this confusion as they also have a gear position sensor - and may communicate gearbox 'state' information to the engine ECU - but if engine ECU cannot control starting then this is of no consequence.
DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Why don't my reverse lights work in my camry Sat, 17 April 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes yes thats all well and good , you solved mr auto drivers problems

Now how about the original question for the manual camry. Confused
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Why don't my reverse lights work in my camry Sat, 17 April 2004 08:31 Go to previous message
mick wrote on Thu, 15 April 2004 21:47

the schtereo thing bets me mate but I will try to find out what it is but I'm not sure as to why a schtereo installation would hurt it though maybe some else can help on that mater? as for the passenger side fuse box I'm pretty sure it has your fuse for air con and a circuit breaker for the heater the reverse lamp on the manual camrys are located on the back of the manual transaxle I have never had to fix this problem on mine yet but have been told you can check it by disconecting the wiring connector at the reverse lamp switch and making a bridging wire between the negitave and positve terminals on the reverse switch connector and turning the ignion to the on postion (don't start it) if the reverse lights light up the switch is the problem? (don't know if true though) I will look it up in my gregorory's automotive book if I can find the bloody thing! I'm not some what confident in doing it though I'd rather take it to an auto-electrition but thats just me

still think its the reverse lamp switch in the manual camry did look up my automotive book and it suggests pretty much the same thing about testing it for the fault although I'm not game to test it to find out though as I hate electricals worried about starting fires! failing that it could be a connection that has come loose some where. the reverse lamp switch is located near the starter motor on the back of the manual transaxle
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Suggestions !!
Next Topic:4AFC clutch info
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 09:02:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041840076446533 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.