Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » any idea of cost of HPC coating of exhaust manifold?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

any idea of cost of HPC coating of exhaust manifold? Fri, 16 April 2004 11:16 Go to next message
am getting a new exhaust/turbo manifold made up (via exotic exhausts in BNE i think) and was wondering whether the HPC coating exercise was worth it (in dollar terms, i know they'll reduce heat).

this stuff: <http://www.hpcoatings.com/hipercoat_extreme.htm> but it's done thru the brisbane office at Brendale?

anyone had this done recently? and yes, i'll email them but it being a Friday arvo i thought someon... whatever.... Razz

tia, thechuckster.
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: any idea of cost of HPC coating of exhaust manifold? Fri, 16 April 2004 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When ya get a quote, let me know cause I want to get it done as well. Maybe 2 manifolds at the same time might get us a cheaper price?
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: any idea of cost of HPC coating of exhaust manifold? Fri, 16 April 2004 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm looking to get this done too...let us know how it goes chuckster
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: any idea of cost of HPC coating of exhaust manifold? Fri, 16 April 2004 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow, Rex comes in handy more often than i thought Wink

from may last year
Quote:

This is a cut and paste of an eMail from Rex to HPC...

Hi Chris
To coat a 4 cyl turbo manifold in the Hipercoat Extreme coating will cost $440.00 including GST .
A lot of people use Australia Post to ship parts over, you can Register or insure the parts through them
The Hipercoat Extreme is the best coating for turbos it can dramatically reduce the skin temperatures on exhausts.
Best Regards
Craig

hope this helps Very Happy

Cya, Stewart
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: any idea of cost of HPC coating of exhaust manifold? Fri, 16 April 2004 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got this done by HPC a few months ago. Cost around $600 for manifold, turbo snail and small dump.
It does reduce under bonnet temps, but its still very hot.
I ended uo using some heat shield as well.

Simon
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: any idea of cost of HPC coating of exhaust manifold? Fri, 16 April 2004 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well.. at $500 a manifold from <brisbane supplier> then another $440 ... ummmm starting to not be a cheap solution ;(

if was doing this to a new 1/2JZ then possibly the expense would be negligable compared to other development costs ... but all i'm trying to do is keep the 18R a turbo (e.g. paying a mere $200 for a newer/smaller/used turbo, re-using and modifying the steel intake for efi)

... earlier threads on this (and a post so recent it's embarrasing):
Controlling underbonnet temps
TurboRA28 suggests... head sheild material same as used on the Ford XR6 turbos. It works wonders! Was $50 for a sheet from ACL...
<http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=32684&start=0&rid=2087&S=bdff824e884 5e3a43d671dbd79df4486>

http://members.optusnet.com.au/helenfitz/pictures/3t%20engine%20passenger.jpg
(sorry for linking to your pic Joel)

But the two earlier discissions seemed to point towards:
get HPC
get heat sheilds
get better ventilation thru engine bay
with the wrap a distant fourth

Thermal wrap Vs Ceramic coating, which is better??
<http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=177264&rid=2087&S=bdff824e8845e3a43d67 1dbd79df4486>

Exhaust Wrap
<http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=19091&rid=2087&S=bdff824e8845e3a43d671 dbd79df4486>

[Updated on: Fri, 16 April 2004 14:01]

shindeokure
Regular

September 2003
Re: any idea of cost of HPC coating of exhaust manifold? Fri, 16 April 2004 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any decent exhaust shop will tell you that thermal wrap will crack your manifold.
it may be worthwhile getting your exhaust made in stainless steel to reduce the heat?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: any idea of cost of HPC coating of exhaust manifold? Fri, 16 April 2004 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh heh, as you knwo the wrap melts Very Happy

these products are for different things....
the HPC is the best first defence against heat...

the coating itself is a poor thermal conductor, and since it is coated INSIDE, it stops heat transferring from the exhaust to the metal... basically it just slows the rate of heat transfer, so the temperature itself will be lower IF you conduct the heat away...

havign HPC coating on the outside too will provide a second thermal barrier and reduce heat being radiated from the manifold/turbine.

heat shields are usually just to stop something nearby from getting hot... it won't stop the actual manifold or turbine from gettign hot.
best heat shield solution (imho) is multiple layers of aluminium, with a small gap between (and air can flow thru the gap also). the first layer is a radiant heat barrier, but itself will absorb and radiate heat further. the second layer stops this re-radiated heat, and the air gap allows for air cooling of this plate to reduce the temp, and thus the re-radiation.

ventilation is always good. reducing ambient temp will increase the temp differential between the hot stuff and the air, and thus transfer heat faster...
think about how much better a radiator cools on a 20 degree day, compared to a 40 degree day.. and thats only 20 degrees!

better airflow either, out of bonnet by vents, or by other means (such as a splitter at the frotn to cause low pressure behind it and under the engine bay so air gets pulled downwards)
aiming thermofans at the turbo area etc...

exhaust wrap is not good for preturbo bits, but might be ok for the dump... still it all gets pretty hot and standard wrap is no good.. you can get wrap which is good to much higher temps (Kaolinite(sp?) wool comes to mind...).

but imho, HPC to reduce the temps of the manifold and turbo, multiple layer heat shields around the turbo and manifold to protect everything else, directed airflow toward the hot areas, with particular attention to an airflow path, so that it actually leaves the engine bay....

phew... i'm outa breath Wink
Cya, Stewart

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: any idea of cost of HPC coating of exhaust manifold? Fri, 16 April 2004 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shindeokure wrote on Sat, 17 April 2004 00:08

any decent exhaust shop will tell you that thermal wrap will crack your manifold.
it may be worthwhile getting your exhaust made in stainless steel to reduce the heat?

i must disagree with that.. as chuck saw, the temps of the manifold were exceeding 600 degrees...probably around 700-800 inside the pipe. when you get to that temp, if you have a rich mixture, you can begin to carburise the stainless steel!!!.. if it is lean, then you will form a nice chromia layer, but it will be removed by thermal stressing and erosion corrosion.

if you have thick wall pipe, this becomes less of an issue, as then you need to remove a lot of material to weaken it.

you will also be wanting to have pretty high nickel and chromium content for the pipe, which is pretty exxy in itself, and may not be readily available in thick wall tube.

welding could also be a bit tricky, as you want low carbon grades which are more weldable, and want to avoid sensitisation of the staino (and sigma formation)

steampipe is still one of the best materials....

Cya, Stewart

TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: any idea of cost of HPC coating of exhaust manifold? Sat, 17 April 2004 09:11 Go to previous message
As I said, I have HPC and its good. But the rest of the solution is using the ACL heat shield which I did the otehr day. The HPC and then heat shield works a treat. My engine bay temp has reduced heaps.

Simon
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4a-ge RWD in a 1990 Geo Prizm LSi???
Next Topic:Suggestions !!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 07:53:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.13012480735779 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.