Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Toymods Membership & Feedback » WooHoo!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TRACTION_ISSUES
Regular

May 2002

WooHoo!! Fri, 16 April 2004 09:42 Go to next message
FINALLY, i am being banned Laughing Laughing !! I cant believe it took you people this long!!

On another note, thank you to all the people who have helped me over the past years, your knowledge and wisdom is invaluable (you know who you are!)

And to the moderators out there, get off the net and get a fucking life!! "moderation in moderation"

Bye you fuckers Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes

Send a private message to this user    
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: WooHoo!! Fri, 16 April 2004 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I resent that! I have a life!

Every Wednesday, I play Warcraft with my friends. And they tell me I'm cool.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: WooHoo!! Fri, 16 April 2004 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who is this loser?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: WooHoo!! Fri, 16 April 2004 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He built the fastest Celica I've ever been in.
Darren
Regular

May 2002
Re: WooHoo!! Fri, 16 April 2004 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One of the few people on these forums who has the guts to take a risk, and actually get in and have a go at making a car something special.

Who are you in comparison?
dizzy
Regular

February 2004
Re: WooHoo!! Fri, 16 April 2004 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRACTION_ISSUES wrote on Fri, 16 April 2004 19:42

FINALLY, i am being banned Laughing Laughing !! I cant believe it took you people this long!!

On another note, thank you to all the people who have helped me over the past years, your knowledge and wisdom is invaluable (you know who you are!)

And to the moderators out there, get off the net and get a fucking life!! "moderation in moderation"

Bye you fuckers Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes

thats nice to know.

no need to brag about it though.

Smile

im a newcomer so i have no idea why are you getting banninated and why your so happy about it, toymods.org seems like a very good place.

j_o_e_l_05
Regular

March 2004
Re: WooHoo!! Fri, 16 April 2004 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dno about everyone else, but i noticed mainly the negative attitudes were coming from the older members (luke, and this bloke here), and especially moderators. and then they get up the newbies for asking how to do stuff (im looking at you allan), maybe the grumpy old men should wash the "sand out of their vagine's".
BTW, im not nocking ford forums. Many thanks to all the people that have helped give me advice, i really do APPRECIATE your help.
Im just annoyed at the people on here that just winge all the time. forums are made to help people. and ive got that but seriously guys, sort these club issues out. i love this forum, but every time i log on and see all the shit fights, it puts you off working on your car.
Darren
Regular

May 2002
Re: WooHoo!! Fri, 16 April 2004 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
j_o_e_l_05 wrote on Fri, 16 April 2004 21:37

forums are made to help people

Who said that? Were you there when the decision was made to start these forums? Funny, I don't remember seeing you there or any of us saying "Gee, lets move away from the e-mail list and start up a forum so we may impart our knowledge and experience on the masses". It was a bloody long time ago but I remember it being more like "Hey, I'm getting 200 e-mails a day and it's impossible to keep track of all the conversations. Wouldn't we be better off setting up a forum to chat on?".

j_o_e_l_05, you and a lot of the others around here need to show a little respect. Without Luke there wouldn't be Toymods, no forum, no club, nothing! The first meeting was at his house, he cooked a heap of sausages, we all got to know one another, checked out the cars and we went for a cruise afterwards. He worked his ass off promoting Toymods, stopping people in the street with nice looking cars and telling them about us. He organised sponsors and got the first shirts and stickers printed. He was at all the cruises, it didn't matter if he had only finished a gig 2 hours before and hadn't slept.

As far as moddifying his car (which is what it's all about right?) he did a bare metal respray, including rust repairs on his Sprinter himself. He did the GZE conversion himself, wired up the microtech himself etc etc.. Then theres the current Cressida, 1JZ conversion on an MX73 isn't a bolt in job. Did it himself again!

A champion effort, especially considering he is a musician. Not a panel beater or mechanic.

Now, lets have a look at Phil (Traction issues). The first time I met him he owned a mint RA23 and asked if i'd take him for a ride in my 1GGTE powered RA40. He was sold and decided he had to have one. Bought an engine and collected all the other bits he needed. He parked the car in the driveway and started work on it Friday. It was running Sunday and ready to be driven to the exhaust shop. Sensational effort, even more so considering it was his first conversion.

His second one was even more impressive. Stripped to bare metal and resprayed. He fabricated his own exhaust manifold and dump pipes for the 2 GTR turbo's. Wired the Motec up himself... Do a search on these forums and you'll find all the details, the thing is a work of art. In my books, that deserves respect!

At all of these engine conversions, and many more, were always masses of Toymods members. All of the older members you refer to as having negative attitudes! Lots of pizza was eaten at all hours of the night, lots of bullshit was heard and beer drunk. But most importantly of all there was a group of guys that just got in and had a go. Nobody had detailed instructions from someone that had done it before or asked endless questions on a forum. They just spent the cash on what they thought they needed, had a go at getting the job done, f*cked it up occasionally, learnt from the mistake and did it again.

Do you think Justen asked a heap of stupid questions before he put the 1UZ in his GT4?

In my mind thats what Toymods is all about and the whole reason it was started. The forums were a way of communicating as a group, not a way for dreamers to perpetuate their fantasies. The whole Toymods club including the forum has lost it's direction and focus, which is a shame because it started off as a really good thing.

I gotta stop drinking.
Darren.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: WooHoo!! Fri, 16 April 2004 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what darren said.
the reason people get cranky (and luke mentioned this too) is that 90% of the questions that get asked have already been asked and answered many times.
people with no idea of how a car works come on asking questions they dont really understand - then get offended when we suggest getting a workshop manual, having a tinker, learning some things for yourselves, then asking if you run into trouble.

I'm mourning the way the club is going too - or the forums more accurately, I cant make the monthly meetings, so I dont know a whole lot about the technical side of it. Luke and Phil were 2 great guys who had 2 *really* nice cars, and are typical of the type of member the club attracts... not quite the phenomenal knowledge someone like "oldcorolla" has, but equally not afraid to go in and actually do a conversion!

Of course, tension and disagreements in general piss me off, so it sucks to see the "old" members of the club leaving and fighting.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: WooHoo!! Fri, 16 April 2004 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's all well and good to get pissed off about being asked stupid questions. I admit I got miffed when I saw a 'T-VIS on 4A-GE' post come up the other day, but I simply didn't respond to it. There's no need to get aggro about it, the guy will figure out how to search for it or just keep bumping till his post gets deleted.

What we need is less bitching and more attempts to clean up the forums. Things like FAQs, tech articles etc could help this. If getting 200PMs a day about the same thing is getting tiresom, make some time to write a tech article, or suggest some form of FAQ to the moderators, sort it out with them and then be done with it.

Internet forums are based around the concept of sharing information, experience and knowledge - whether you like it or not - it's just the way it is and they will always gravitate towards that model. Okay, we don't have to help every lazy bugger who comes along, but everyone started out with zero knowledge at one stage or another - and it's always the 'old hands' that stir up shit when some newb asks a 'dumb' question.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: WooHoo!! Fri, 16 April 2004 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and it's that sort of expectation of help that pisses people off.
My special pet hate was a guy who posted 3 times in an hour, and got pissed off when no-one immediately dropped everyhting and helped him out.
The help is offered freely by people who want to assist in sharing knowledge - it is *not* an obligation faced by anyone who has been there before
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: WooHoo!! Fri, 16 April 2004 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm some very valid reasoning here
pity that i couldnt protray it a few weeks ago on the level others have done so here in this thread yet such is life
most ppl organisations clubs etc 4get their roots which is a pity as its not every day you go out to meet total strangers to help them or ask their valued advise and to cruise with them or receive their invaulable help...
be nice to see this head back to the pre yahoogroups stage again
what was it called back then ? icqgroups ?
maybe its time for a reformat of the current forums yet then again what would i know being a non financial memeber when soem hold the opinion that $ equates to inteligence ?
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: WooHoo!! Fri, 16 April 2004 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Darren wrote on Sat, 17 April 2004 01:06

we all got to know one another, checked out the cars and we went for a cruise afterwards.

Believe it or not this still happens dude.

Quote:

At all of these engine conversions, and many more, were always masses of Toymods members. All of the older members you refer to as having negative attitudes!

This has not changed much either. I know for a fact that if I was going to take on some major task with my car, I would just need to ask and would easily get a handful of people (members) willing to help out. I personally don't really know you at all, but I certainly respect you for the time you have put into this club, so I would hate it if anything I say here is taken the wrong way.

No, I was not around in the beginning, so I can't say that things haven't changed. In fact I'm sure they probably have. As I said to Luke in his other thread, I can understand someone no longer wanting to be active on the forums if things there are not the way you would want them. But come along to some club events again. Stay involved because there is still a great bunch of people in this club and hopefully you'll find that not much has changed there. I remember seeing you in your Celica at the first Toymods event I ever went to up at Wisemans Ferry probably over 3 years ago now. I'm sure you wouldn't remember me as at the time I was not the sort to introduce myself blindly to strangers. The thing is though, if you stay away from the club sooner or later us members who do remember you will start disappearing as well, and when that happens posts such as the one you made above will have less and less impact and meaning.

Again, as I said to Luke in the other thread - Come along and spend a day with us next time there's something going on. Yes the faces will be different, but the attitude of people there will still be the same. At the very least you'll; "get to know some new people, check out some cars, and go for a cruise". Isn't that what it was about in the beginning?
Darren
Regular

May 2002
Re: WooHoo!! Sat, 17 April 2004 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lucid,

Has anyone undertaken a major modification lately? I haven't heard wind of any. These days whenever I get asked how to put a 1UZ into an MX83 my standard response is "Get this engine, beg borrow or steal a mig welder, an angle grinder, an engine crane and 3 mates. Have a go at it, i'll start answering questions after you have the engine in the car. If you f*ck it up let me know and I'll come give you a hand to fix it". Is that unreasonable? If someone has the nous to dive into a project like that balls and all, they earn my respect and I'm more than happy to help them out.

Going through incorporation and 12 months on the board afterward with all the politics, bitching, back stabbing and in fighting soured me for life I'm afraid. Besides, all of my free time these days is dedicated to building race cars. My next cruise is down to Phillip Island with a bunch of friends to have a go at winning the national Improved Production title.

I'm off track again... From the point of view of someone that was heavily involved and is now an outsider i'll make these observations.

- The forums are over moderated. If a newby starts asking stupid questions they deserve to get flamed. It SHOULD make them stop and think or better still get in and have a go themselves, they would be stronger for it. If they cry and run away, so be it! DO you really need to hug everyone?

- It may have happened since I was involved, but the club needs to re-evaluate itself, define a direction and focus on that. Incorporation seemed to me to be the point that the original focus was lost and it was probably partly my fault. If the decision is made to love and hug everyone so they feel good about owning a Toyota, so be it. The club was originally set up for people that were serious about modifying toyota's. If your idea of modifying was limited to a pod filter you wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes in the early days.

Moderators, Danny in particular. Unban Luke and Phil, then lighten up on the moderation. Let the kiddies get flamed, they might learn something and actually be inspired to get off their asses, try something new and think outside the square for a change!

Theres a lot more I could say, but I've got better things to do.
Darren.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: WooHoo!! Sat, 17 April 2004 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its pretty strange what has happened to these forums-

admittedly, i haven't been here very long in comparison. my first few posts (about putting a 7m or something into my ra60?) all got the 'do a search' response. probably the best advice i ever got- all my subsequent questions have at least been explained to some extent from this function- then it's better to go in and ask questions.

i've found these forums to be extremely helpful, i've learnt nearly everything i know about cars and toyotas from just reading most of this site- you don't have to post in everything you read. even the most argumentative of threads are very informative.

i know many of the members here don't like me much, thats fine, you have your reasons. The bottom line is, I'm here to research and find out about cars that i love, and possibly go and meet the people behind the monsters that many of you drive. When I eventually get the money, I'll probably join the toymods car club. I've been thinking about it for ages.

i've never started an argument or given anyone shit about their tastes etc. etc. it seems a lot of people just get hot under the collar and don't take advice on board...

ah well, ill just trundle along doing my own thing.

/end fairly pointless rant Surprised
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: WooHoo!! Sat, 17 April 2004 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh ryley - and now you should try what darren said - Buy my 3sgte , and out that an an ma61 Wink

Without the GOOD advice from the guys on this forum and personally ( rod try , justen - two outstanding examples of guys who have been invaluable for both of my projects as librarys of information and advice ) i would never have got so involved with having fun with my cars .

The search function is proceless on here - look first , cant find what you need - ask polietly , and usually someone will point you in the right direction ..

When on here i usually turn on my patented" internal bullshit filter "

its a device where i screen out the pointless crap and ignore it, for all its just typing on a screen in the end.

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: WooHoo!! Sat, 17 April 2004 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The forums are over moderated. If a newby starts asking stupid questions they deserve to get flamed.

I don't see how being more knowledgeable and experienced gives
anyone the right to be a 'dick' to someone else. I don't care what the context - a 'dick' is a 'dick'. Being an 'uber-toyota-modder' doesn't really make you a better person than someone else, it just means you have modified some cars.

If you feel that a forum is a place where you can inflate your ego by picking on newbies then that's fine, just don't pretend to yourself that you are cool. I'm not going to say any more on this.

For sure, the Toymods forum isn't as 'hard-core' as you may like, maybe the forum is going in a different, more inclusive direction. If you want to be part of some elite 'uber-toyota-modders' forum then go start another one because this one has been hijacked Razz Too bad. Just don't hang around and drag the place down.

[Updated on: Sat, 17 April 2004 10:56]

Darren
Regular

May 2002
Re: WooHoo!! Sat, 17 April 2004 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Sat, 17 April 2004 14:27

When on here i usually turn on my patented" internal bullshit filter "

its a device where i screen out the pointless crap and ignore it, for all its just typing on a screen in the end.

Advice taken, thanks.

Going racing, see ya guys!

Darren.
HooN
Regular

May 2002
Re: WooHoo!! Sat, 17 April 2004 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe the point was to get people off their asses and have a go. It is ToyMODS not ToyASK after all. Flaming and the like is inspirational.

[BlueRA23]
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: WooHoo!! Sat, 17 April 2004 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey darren ring me when you are down the island again regards glenn 0412045467
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: WooHoo!! Sat, 17 April 2004 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4DaDrift wrote on Sat, 17 April 2004 03:31

what would i know being a non financial memeber when soem hold the opinion that $ equates to inteligence ?

$ equates to having a voice in the direction that the club will take.
Paying the money means that you are part of the club and the club is yours.
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: WooHoo!! Sat, 17 April 2004 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well there is actually some decent content amongst the dribble so I am going to try and salvage this thread.

Firtsly TOYMODS is NOT this FORUM !!!!!

These forums are run by Toymods for the benefit of Toymodders, they are managed as best as we see fit and posting here is a privelidge not a right. Abuse the privelidge and you will be banned. Its just that simple.

Edit: As a side note this CLUB will always be about helping other CLUB members. The forums will reflect this as best it can !

Luke,

Dude I dunno what gets into you sometimes, your best intentions can be put into action in the worst possible ways. A phone call or a PM/ Email is alot more appropriate for some things. I really do wish you had the time to swing by the club meets or events. Sure we won't be going street racing but the faces you see at the club and not the same as the content you see on these forums. The club members that bother to turn up are great people, they are the ones that make an effort to turn up and generally contribute just by being there. There are still only a fraction of the financial members as there are Forum goers. Its that minority that is Toymods, the guys and gals that make it what it is and support the club you started. Ithink if you took the time you may actually be alott happier about the way things are going. The late night conversions still happen, you just don't see em on here !

Phil,

Dude why jump onthe band wagon and bitch and moan, isn't that what have the complaint is about ?? I know you SOLD the Celica but drop by some time. It was great to catch up with you again at the Dubbo Cruise meeting point. Ask yourself something, Were the people there so bad ?? Once again, the guys and gals that turn up are not the ones who cause any of the dribble sometimes seen on this forum.

Darren,

Mate you have some Good points and a little insitive history. Once again its a shame you don't have time to catch up with the club anymore. Toymods the club still has a very clear focus, We are a SOCIAL club and get together to enjoy each others company and each others cars.

Glad to here the racing is going well for you.

You 3 Guys were around when everything started and when things had to change. Its a shame your no longer around but you can't blame your social calenders on the way the forums are. Your social commitments and time management are yours to decide. We all have the same choices, thats what make the Toymods events so good. Ther Guys and Gals who turn up are there cause they think its worth going and I have NEVER been to a Toymods event I didn't enjoy. There are always new faces but one thing stays constant, the company is always rewarding and I am sure it will stay that way.

The same old fun still takes place, The conversions still happen, the sleepless nights are still there and we still eat a shitload too much Pizza. The unofficial cruise scene has suffered, we tend to try and do this a WSID/Eastern Creek now. Its a shame in some small ways but I would rather that than see Toymods Suffer as A club.

The three of you have all had a Dig at Danny in one form or another, If you want to state your case thats fine, but do it properly and address the whole board. Danny does most of the moderation, but thats because the rest of us are rarely on here. He has the TOTAL support of the Toymods Board and we know about EVERY single moderation that takes place.

So if you have an issue address the lot of us don't single out a guy who has the courage to to be the face of Toymods that tries to contain the shit. I kinda expected you 3 to appreciate his efforts if anything !

But anyway. Thats enough for now, any crap and dribble in this thread will be deleted, Constructive comments are welcome wether we agree with them or not.

One last thing tho, Respect is Earnt not expected and it is constantly earn't not lifetime rewarded.

And Finally I wanna repeat something.

TOYMODS CAR CLUB is NOT this forum. You wanna get to know the club, get off your asses and come to an event or a meeting. If you don't attend you can hardly critisize.

The above are my personal veiws. Not necessarily the veiws of the Toymods Board.

[Updated on: Sat, 17 April 2004 10:41]

j_o_e_l_05
Regular

March 2004
Re: WooHoo!! Sat, 17 April 2004 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
darren - "If a newby starts asking stupid questions they deserve to get flamed". what sort of an attitude is that. thats all ive got to say to you.

nark - "$ equates to having a voice in the direction that the club will take". nice to know the non paying members dont help at all. but dont worry guys if you give them money you o.k with them.

thetoyman 75 - "Firtsly TOYMODS is NOT this FORUM"
excellent point. this is a forum provided by you and we thank you, but this is not your car club, so dont get worried when dickheads come on here (me)

thetoyman 75 - "You 3 Guys were around when everything started
and when things had to change. Its a shame your
no longer around but you can't blame your social
calenders on the way the forums are". yep, dont get angry when you dont contribute anything ( i respect those 3 cos they did start the club, but it seems like they dont do anything but winge now, in other words, use constructive critisism, dont just go off ya nut at people and blame newbies, stop this "DONT ASK QUESTIONS" bullshit, THATS NOT WHAT THIS IS ABOUT.no one can get that angry just because people like your car so much they ask questions (so they can make theirs as good as yours). jeez guys tell us (or some1 that counts) what the real problem is, then you can work out a solution and every1 is happy). where has all this anger you you's, now none of you go to the meetings, now none if you post on here. plus the ppl in the club seem to be pissed at you, and you made an ass of yourself on here.

thetoyman 75 - anything more than 2 valves per cylander is just excess weight. lol. "back in the 80's" lol.

[Updated on: Sat, 17 April 2004 10:39]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: WooHoo!! Sat, 17 April 2004 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just thought I'd edit my previous post so as to emphasise I'm talking about the toymods forum and not the toymods car club in general.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: WooHoo!! Sat, 17 April 2004 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
j_o_e_l_05 wrote on Sat, 17 April 2004 20:37

nark - "$ equates to having a voice in the direction that the club will take". nice to know the non paying members dont help at all. but dont worry guys if you give them money you o.k with them.

So you're saying that we provide you with a free place where a community can exist around modifying Toyotas. We pay for the server space and the bandwidth. AND we have to take everyone's opinions in, even the ones that use the resource that we've provided for the community but don't give anything in return to the club?
As Rod stated, these forums are not the club. These forums are an expense we incur to provide a place to foster a community of Toyota modifiers. We pay this out of the club's money and provide it with the goodness of our hearts.
It's a bit miffing when you do something for the "greater good of all" and have people that take a free ride and then complain about it.

As for the money thing and having a voice, there are in fact a number of people who have never financially supported the club (due to reasons such as being in other states) that we've sorta adopted as customary members because they have provided invaluable advice on these forums. But this level of respect comes with time and comes with proof of their value in the form of knowledgable posts.
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: WooHoo!! Sat, 17 April 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joel 05,

There have been a number of occasions where people have accused the moderators/board members or club members as having a "Boys Club attitude"

Fact is we do ! Its not that we look down on Non members or disrespect them. Its just that this club is important to all of us that try and run it. The CLUB belongs to its FINANCIAL members and they will always be favoured over the Non member forum users. Your opinions are still welcome and listened to, but the voice of the CLUB members will always be our first priority.

As for this not being the car club so not worrying, I only wish it was that easy. The sad truth is alott of people think this is the Toymods car club and we have a public profile to maintain. These Forums are only a tiny part of what the club is about, but they have the biggest public profile. I haven't checked the stat's for a while but last I looked there was 4-5 million hits a month on the Toymods Forums !

And yes mate I am still stuck in the 70's LOL Smile Born in them and stil driving cars made in them. Smile

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: WooHoo!! Sat, 17 April 2004 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edit: Personal attacks are not accepted here !

In fact, as was pointed out to me quite recently... when was the last time a member outside the original top twenty did anything remotely not a copy of a previous conversion.... dont you people have enough personality to come up with something unique and have a go , win or loose?

for fucks sake the ricers that put pointless wings and graphics on their cars have more unique thoughts than 60% of the forum users here.

Phil

wish you never sold that celica dude... ill never forget when you pulled in the carpark at Bull & Bush with the new exhaust .. I was sure you had a Rolls Royce Merlin under the bonnet Razz

the thing I really cant believe is that all this started from a little scratch on a door incident, no one likes there pride and joy damaged but lets move on people. there were, and are other ways to have sorted this issue out.

Rod

maybe it is time to redifine what the forums should be in terms of the toymods club, it was started as mentioned earlier because we all got sick of trying to hunt through emails.... its gone a long way and in an entirely different direction from its original purpose .. some good some bad.

and to reiterate a point Luke bought up... maybe it would be beneficial to find out why so many of the "do'ers" of the club no longer want to participate, without these people the club is merely the forums and not much else.

IMHO of course Smile

thats my 2c

wipe the tears and get over it people Smile

[Updated on: Sat, 17 April 2004 11:26] by Moderator

thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: WooHoo!! Sat, 17 April 2004 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael,

Hold out on the personal attacks dude, they never were and never will be tollerated. !

As for your Top 20 Comment.

If you bothered to turn up to any event's or meetings you would know this isn't true. I said it earlier and I will say it again. Those that don't attend, can't comment ! Conversions still happen dude, admittedly alott have been done before to some degree, but last I checked Toyota hadn't released a shitload of alternatives for the rest of us to play with ! As for copies of the "top 20", you guys would have to be around for anyone else to copy. Most people don't even know who you are anymore which is a real shame.

I can't speek for you or any of the other original members who no longer turn up, I am however pretty bloody sure I remember why most of them stopped turning up. Correct me if I'm wrong but you all Got busy with "more Important" things to do. I have no problem with that but don't think for a second you can claim you don't show up because of the state of these forums. I have a very young family and work 12 hours a day but I'm stil around.

As for redefining the Forums,we listen to our members for that feedback and things are constantly under review. The "doer" as you refer to them will generally be found at home in there garages or possibly inthe tech section which is our most harshly moderated section. There are places people can dribble (the outhouse) no one makes you go there.
j_o_e_l_05
Regular

March 2004
Re: WooHoo!! Sat, 17 April 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toyman - thats fair enough, i completely understand that and fully agree with you. its just they way nark came across made it sound like non members arent important. all in all this forum is mad. very helpfull, and if luke didnt post that thread me and a lot of other people wouldnt of known all this negative stuff. so i say delete all of these related forums, fair enough for people having an opinion on how a club should be made, run and organised. P.M you or another board member, of put in in this thread specially made for it (in a constructive way). but delete this whole thing, and pretend it didnt happen, the negativity will go away on here (all the people who didnt like it left) so its just us happy posters..... Cool
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: WooHoo!! Sat, 17 April 2004 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey all,
i have been around for a long time, but unfortunately i never became a financial member.. firstly due to being poor, and secondly for gettign stuck in the permanent student trap.

have a look at the pics from the first "wisemans ferry" run.. see the oldest shittiest car there? thats mine Razz Very Happy
it's still old and shitty, and still has the K motor, but it's come a long way. i vividly remember watching Phil's KE30 smoking it up on the hairpins, and precariously chasing those supras with my postive camber and shitty tyres Laughing

i never really got involved in the club due to time constraints, and i still haven't fecking finished uni Razz.... i manage to make it to maybe one event a year, and slink around on the forums. all this will change WIFTT tho...

generally i like these forums. the only thing that annoys me is the young wannabes who come on and ask questions that should not be asked without a few seconds of thought first. to be brutally honest, most of the information i now have in my head has come from searching the net, and talking to ppl i have met from various sites and forums... basically doing my own research.. i try to help where i can and contribute this info back...

what shits me past the point of tears, is when someone asks a question that I KNOW is frightfully obvious and can be found instantly using a search of either the toymods forum archives, or our friend google...

this is what prompted me to change my sig to the below Wink

i have received quite a bit of abuse about my sig, but i refuse to change it... my reason? if you did actually search, you would not be offended Wink.... and it's true... not that i read slow or anything Very Happy

basically the only problem with these forums is a reflection of what is happening in society... the younger ppl of today have shorter attention spans, less patience and want info given to them on a plate (but STILL refuse to google Wink ) (i never thought there could already be a 'post-google' generation... generation "??" Evil or Very Mad )

these kiddies have more angst, more aggression, and think less... thats about it.... actually it's defintiely not ALL of these young guys, but the most vocal ones...

you tell them to search, and they tell you to shove it.. then later shyly PM you for the info they wanted in the first place... well i say Twisted Evil

if someone comes on here, asks a dumb question (you should see what happens on the ford forums Wink LOL...) i feel obliged to flame for not searching, but will also give a link to info.. if they don't swallow their stupidity and learn from the info i post, they deserve to be shot down...

anyhoo.... happy googling Very Happy

Cya, Stewart

ps, reading thru this thread, there were 2 or 3 posts that didn't seem to fit in with all the rest... (reminds me of sesame street.. "one of these kids is not like the other ones" ).. more abusive, disrespectful of ppl who, while being old timers here, are very knowledgable and have earnt respect.....

in the words of Oprah ....."thats what i'm talkin bout"

4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: WooHoo!! Sat, 17 April 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nark
you now know who i am hence know my background involvment in this club
everyone
financial memebership would be something i aspire to when i can afford it and have a car registered and am licensed..it WILL happen as my passion is toyotas
each toyota ive owned has assisted my levels of knowlege to the point where with my current car im in the process of body repairs and a few cars before that i undertook engine work and this is from a person with NO automotive knowlege or training before this club
ive owned an ae71 2xke20s 2xae86 and will own more yotas in the future
newibes deserve a wakeup call yet in a polite yet firm manner
the knowlege that people have should be encouraged to be shared in a pernament resourse ( perhaps some special benefit/sticker / membership to encourage it )
these issues need to be addressed and not swept under the carpet and even thou i not a financial memeber there are several persons who have/had involvment in this club that ive reffered or introduced
ive shared what knowlege with people here inclusive to business contacts as bigfella can confirm ( and is that not an original project ? )
at the end of the day i feel we need to remember why we are here
our love of toyotas and desire to improve our cars knowlege and develope friendship/aquantences with fellow minded persons hile haveing an outlet for our unique creativity
also some people need to remember the core values of this club and life itself
respect, common curtesy, assistance of like minded persons and the ability to have a go yourself are some that come to mind
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: WooHoo!! Sat, 17 April 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did a 2JZGE into a Corona Mk2 and am in the midst of a 1UZ into a 1966 Crown. I think they're both pretty unusual conversions.

It seems clear to me that most of the angst has arisen from the open arms approach of the forums. I have noticed the influx of cretins to be particularly high during school holidays. This promotes repitition. We're all sick of the endless "Will a 1GGTE fit into an RA23 Celica?" questions. The supply of information is thankless, particularly by the children that frequent these forums. The solution is not to provide tech articles - there is a plethora of information out there already, and can also be sourced readily by attending the club (admittedly not easy if you are interstate). I'd dare suggest that the best way to tidy the place up would be to make it open to financial members only. That way you can screen the newbs. Children then have to ask their parents to give credit card details and the others put there money where their mouth is.

Of course, the club then runs the risk of being introverted and not open to new members.

Being hopeless at computers, I have no idea if that is possible.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: WooHoo!! Sat, 17 April 2004 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rod,

Quote:

can't speak for you or any of the other original members who no longer turn up, I am however pretty bloody sure I remember why most of them stopped turning up. Correct me if I'm wrong but you all Got busy with "more Important" things to do. I have no problem with that but don't think for a second you can claim you don't show up because of the state of these forums.

you are right, it definatley isnt the forums for the reason that i havent been to meetings for a while, or renewed my membership, or had much contact with all the people i used to. however you stated yourself that the forums are the public representation of the club, we both used to have in depth discussions on this very point including the option of trying a ... sub club .. for alternate events. CAMS diddnt happen , and the alternative hasnt spawned many exciting competitive events either.

i could probly make the same excuses for not coming to meetings as you would give for having the same issues and still being there, I however did not volunteer my time for the board and i suspect if you are honest with yourself , had you been in a different position where the club commitment was not as pressed as it is for you currently, youd spend more time with your new child too.

i have no doubt that the people who turn up to events are still doing the similar things we started out doing.. but they in general are not the people creating the tension on the forums either as you well know.

Quote:

As for copies of the "top 20", you guys would have to be around for anyone else to copy. Most people don't even know who you are anymore which is a real shame.

ok i probhably wasnt fair there, there are a few people around the traps that still do stuff. but you gotta admit... its been very quite lately, regardless of myself, or people like Mos ,Darren, Phil, etc etc and yourself are there or not .. its only people like Bigworm and Witzl who seem to be taking up the slack lately other than some of the interstate guys.

Quote:

There are places people can dribble (the outhouse) no one makes you go there.

and i dont Smile

I appologise for airing the personal attack Embarassed
j_o_e_l_05
Regular

March 2004
Re: WooHoo!! Sat, 17 April 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you apologising to me? for the visious attack, when i was only stating my opinion.
or to the people that had to read the discusting language you posted?
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: WooHoo!! Sat, 17 April 2004 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No not to you noob, just to the people that had to read it Smile

I think you allready know what i think of your comments from the PM's i sent you

[Updated on: Sat, 17 April 2004 13:07]

clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: WooHoo!! Sat, 17 April 2004 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was financial for one year. Haven't been able to renew due to finances etc as some of us are.

When I did my conversion it was nothing special. But there was information available that if it didn't answer it directly, it was related. Like if you're fitting a 5MGE and there is 7MGE info available it shouldn't take a brain surgeon to realise that it couldn't hurt to read it. If you don't realise this then you should think twice about starting the job.

When I had a problem that couldn't be answered, answers were forthcoming. I didn't expect them immediately. We all have other things on our plates. Some came to help, without asking for reward other than possibly mentally expecting me to assist someone else sometime in the future, as I have done. And some good friendships have resulted from this.

The support I received when I had a accident with a pedestrian was overwhelming. Advice and encouragement from all corners of the net. It resulted in a more positive attitude from me, getting off my but and getting a new job after loosing the old because of the incident and getting back on my feet.

This is the sort of thing that just doesn't occur from many people in real life let alone from a semi anonymous forum. I have come to find myself on the shit heap once again through similar circumstances and once again, while I haven't publicised this event, those who do know are still as supportive as ever.

Rather than flaming newbies/searchable questions they should be deleted and a PM sent requesting a search before reposting. It may seem like a lot of mod work but it wouldn't be necessary for every topic. I know I would certainly volunteer some time to do this. Others will post a "Do Search" reply and complain when the other person gets their back up. The problem lies on both sides of the fence here. Ok, a search should be done but then why reply if you may take offense to a response (that admittedly is usually aggressive but that is probably the usual response type from those that are posting).

I know I'm not the most knowledgeable person here, always learning. Far from it. But I do what I can from what I've read elsewhere and even have searched these forums to answer or clarify a question or two for someone when I can recall seeing the answer. I don't believe this makes me a bad person either by doing their searching (though I'm sure some will). Hopefully those that come after will continue to learn and pass on information.

I haven't attended many event's, actually only one. But that was well run and I'm grateful to the board/members who organise these events. I haven't been to others as I lost a license for 12mths and was back for 1mth and am now off again indefinitely as well as losing the car (write off). I'll still be here, even if I'm not on the road or if I am, not driving a Toyota.

There is talk of no conversions happening. I think they are, just that they aren't unique. just about every realistic car/engine combo has been tried and it's only finance that holds us back from the traverse mounted mid engine SW20. They aren't being documented and unfortunately we only see the people who don't search. How many succesful conversions have been done due to predecessors great documentation that we don't hear about. Lots and not just in Australia I'm sure.

All I know is that for one reason or another the forum has gone downhill. It's up to those of us, whatever our club capacity to keep it on track, be reasonable when the problems do arise (as they inevitably will in a public space) and get involved with the club if and when we can.

The solution. I don't know. Perhaps a closed financial members area alongside the public arena. Perhaps also a one payment system for an online membership section, funds used exclusively for maintaining the site.

End rant, thanks for listening. I'll still be here, perhaps just continuing to ignore the one's who need it.
HSV_gal
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: WooHoo!! Sun, 18 April 2004 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well what can I say...
I guess it is time for my rant cause by god my tongue is sore from biting it.

Quite frankly the threads of late have been nothing but a bitch session between a few guys that should know better than to air there dirty laundry in publc (Yes I am talking to the so called original members) and then a few more that just had to have there say. To me the whole thing just looks down right childish and if I was a new member to the club I know I wouldn't want to be a part of it right now.

Quite frankly I Don't know alot about my car but hey I am willing to learn and tought myself the whole workings of my RA40 when I had it cause the people on here (apart from a select group) couldn't be stuffed cause "I was a girl"( and yes I got PM's to that effect.)But it is quite simple,you have a problem with someone, just ignore the shit and it will go away.

But all I can say now is all the bitching needs to stop.... you all sound like a bunch of sissy girls with PMS and that is just not what this club needs.

The Moderators are doing the job that they have to do and they wouldn't be so heavy handed if it wasn't called for, it just comes down to the fact that if everyone plays by the rules there would be no need for moderation at all, So just think about that for a minute befor posting yet another bullshit reply.

just my 2c
j_o_e_l_05
Regular

March 2004
Re: WooHoo!! Sun, 18 April 2004 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes. exactly. what she sed ^^^^^^^.
and i know im contradicting myself by posting this but o well. i guess another harsh P.M from 1ra11y is on its way.fun.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: WooHoo!! Sun, 18 April 2004 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
re the "no new stuff happening"
just remember, there are certain types of toys that are favourites.
just about everything that can go into an ma61 has gone in, so why not copy what's already there? (for example, 1jz mx73). I know ed's dreaming up something interesting, but until toyota make us another 4/6/8cyl turbo engine, we'll keep using what works.

It is a shame the cruise scene has sorta died, tho as I'm without a car at the moment, I'm not personally worried.
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: WooHoo!! Wed, 19 May 2004 06:41 Go to previous message
I think alot of people who used to post, or perhaps had knowledge have just become lurkers.

Sometimes, when you know an answer, it's easier not to post it, than have ten people argue with you.

Open the informative posts, don't open the social posts. Don't reply unless it's usefull.

I don't post much at all anymore.

Cause I don't need to.

Alot of people post here, because for some reason - and likely not a reason the place was started - they need to.

I'm with GT on his open arms point - i think that was the start.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:posting pics
Next Topic:Re: Members rides
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 12:47:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007443904876709 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.