Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Scotty_Crown
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 06:47 Go to next message
Hi there. im new to this forum. I am currently restoring a 1965 model toyota crown. I am thinking of painting it midnight blue with red flec and putting a cresida straight 6 in it. what are your thoughts.

Pic
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UQDtAhYXOZuo*Q5ALVOQJ8r8GrJ6cPIxtW2JcIao*DcAzwJEqa7AYEiqaz3m6Ev04V*sHp9upfz1L4a8YGVC8pY*2Hz0pOhpqKSI!qdWa0OP0!iSFQNbk77Mp*iFCcI7/Picture%202010361067.jpg?dc=4675464303207555834
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1) You have a lot of work there, but it'll look awesome when it's finished.
2) You don't need a Cressida straight six, you need a pimpin' 1UZFE V8 Smile
Scotty_Crown
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was thinking of a 1uzfe but the biggest think is the engineers cert, mounts etc.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IT'll be worth it dude, no point spending all that time and effort to have it not all it can be! Smile
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good to see you're not another Celica/Supra wanker ( Twisted Evil j/k). Welcome to the forum

Just a question though... Why not start with a Crown that's almost mint already? You can pick one up from the wreckers for about $500. That would save many tens of hours of work and probably cost less than fixing that one too. Confused

[Updated on: Tue, 13 April 2004 07:01]

Scotty_Crown
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
then there goes most of my budget. i was thinking of just getting a cresida 6(what are they called again) until i can afford to put a 1uzfe or a 1jzgte in it
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7MGE or 5MGE depending on which Cressida you're talking about.
Scotty_Crown
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIMDOG wrote on Tue, 13 April 2004 17:00

Good to see you're not another Celica/Supra wanker ( Twisted Evil j/k). Welcome to the forum

Just a question though... Why not start with a Crown that's almost mint already? You can pick one up from the wreckers for about $500. That would save many tens of hours of work and probably cost less than fixing that one too. Confused

Because it is verry hard to find a crown like mine because it is the jap import edition
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good man.

If it's an RS41 as opposed to an MS41 you'll have a fair bit of work ahead of you getting the six in there. It can be done - a guy down here in Melbourne did it but the mounts had to be moved and it's a very tight fit - the four cylinder is a couple of inches shorter than the six cylinder front end.

Put the V8 in there - I did.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/corona2jzge/Crown%20V8%20conversion/In%20place/4CrownV8.jpg
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I hope every single panel is restorable then. It would be a bitch if you had to get a new one.

Where's the bonnet? Is that it just off to the left?
Scotty_Crown
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats what mine looks like gianttomato. I like the side of the boot in them though. what tail lights do u have?
Scotty_Crown
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UQA9AxEXDpqo*Q5ALVOQJ8r8GrJ6cPIxbpH4n6bUoS1emz5mNVI4uuGyRB0UzCn4nd*D3fah0ZDiNyCHaz3sV!vTbdviAiI7e69LscJ1cwzMsu38uFioM2aIqn6pVpTh/Picture%202010361071.jpg?dc=4675464303341977176

sort of see the engine
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scotty has a 1965 Crown Deluxe. They are very tricky to come by. You definitely won't find that model at a wrecker for $500 - it'll either be at the crusher, wrecked in a paddock or in a collector's garage.

I have a 1966 MS46 wagon. It has the oblong tail lights.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Toyota%20Power%20/Crown%20rear.jpg

Do you have the round lights?
Scotty_Crown
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine are similar to that
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So I can see you have the nice Deluxe grille. Do you have the beautiful pressed aluminium tail light surrounds and dress piece?
Do you have the self search radio? Do you have the on dash clock?
Scotty_Crown
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep its got all that. and its all mine Laughing
Greg.
Regular

November 2003
Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get it under cover fast I think..and...I am almost sure I saw one near Hurstville(Sydney) over the Easter weekend...It was sun effected metallic gray and looked very original..was blowing smoke too.. Smile
Scotty_Crown
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a bit hard to put it ing the shed because my shed has got my capella in it. and the crown wont fit in the shed otherwise it would be in there
Greg.
Regular

November 2003
Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You gotta get some treatment on the rust and quick..
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The metallic paints were all badly affected by the Australian conditions. A friend of mine has a 1962 Custom wagon - the beautiful embroidered silk seats unfortunately faded and tore due to poor upkeep and the degrading effects of the Aussie sun.

The pre AMI Toyota Crowns rarely rusted. They had multiple coatings of zinc oxide. The AMI Crowns were more cheaply put together (less zinc oxide) and so rusted out. The Deluxe sedans and Custom wagons from the same era were all imports so they didn't rust anywhere near as badly as the Aussie built stuff.

Scotty's predates AMI and it's a Deluxe - full import.
Greg.
Regular

November 2003
Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silk seat covers???????? your kidding??? Laughing
Got to be the ultimate inbuilt obsolescence
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Remember, they were the ultimate luxury car in 1960. These were the cars Japanese royalty got around in. When all other cars had vinyl or painted metal floors, the base model Crowns had carpet. The heater was powerful and had in floor vents that directed hot air to the rear seat passengers. It was the first mass produced passenger car to come with self cancelling indicators.

In 1962 you could option it with AC, self search AM (and in Japan FM) radio, a shortwave radio adaptor, a boot fridge, seat belts (not an option on any car till actually required by law in 1968 and then front seats only), car cover, external mirrors.....

In 1965, it came out with the most powerful mass produced SOHC 6 cylinder motor. Its performance outstripped the performance of any other similarly engined sedan on the market.

This is all taken for granted in this era of cup holders, but back then it was rather ooh la la. Yep, they look like beaten up shitboxes now, but you really have to appreciate them for what they were.
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
icon14.gif  Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey scotty,
nice crown man i got a 73 Crown as well.
Does the 4M run ( if thats right )
Look good when you all done Very Happy
Keep up the good work and keep the crowns alive! Very Happy
Trent
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know i love a restored crown!!

ahhh old toyotas

old century is nice too
Scotty_Crown
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 13 April 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i really like old school.
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hi, my crown Sat, 17 April 2004 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude,

Welcome to the joys of a classic crown Smile

Theres a few of us on here who appreciate the joys of crowning around so don't be a stranger and keep us all informed.

Scotty_Crown
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Hi, my crown Mon, 19 April 2004 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have only stripped the interior since i took the photos. Here are some of the interior. Its not going to get more done on it for a while because i need to work to get the funds to continue. So far i have fish oil and 4 litres of primer. But I am going to get it undercover within the next few weeks.
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgDcAqgVBiSo*Q5ALVOQJ!ROLShBrve3cx3syb1yd7fqBHh8DJfTMfrxEaxqdu0!!8Dnl66CgNT2P0bPzWg!Fhad45WfuizHvDPRnKF6YNweUVuLEVq3*w/Picture%20009.jpg?dc=4675467569350336664
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgDsAqAVJyKo*Q5ALVOQJ*vlso0qkkt8x5Ze2MQDUlOVQCq2nn1co*RrOAmhafmlqnE*62ZXohKaOqfJihGsUZ08oLbi7Kt7dlMnx9dm2rirbH!ph0!w4A/Picture%20010.jpg?dc=4675467569375193389
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgAHA6EVYyKo*Q5ALVOQJ!MLzgoMU5k7am!t0CpUQUxhc9ViaKZ6DLIiPERKqKaQr7IGJUNQPy!Y9RTlzkG6UeEeoOrYRg0ETvK42Br7nmWa47JQlgN*kA/Picture%20011.jpg?dc=4675467569403901269
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Hi, my crown Mon, 19 April 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks in pretty good nick fo ra 40 year old car thats been sitting in a paddock Smile
Greg.
Regular

November 2003
Re: Hi, my crown Mon, 19 April 2004 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyper is right...thats pretty good as rust goes...all that extra care in the building stage I suspect...and better paint and undercoat..might want to get as much surface rust off before you recoat/protect with oil or primer ...I've beem using the Bodytech rust dissolver from KMart...I'm sure there is better stuff but its quite cheap and does a reasonable job if you follow the instructions to the letter..the undercover move is good idea..Cheers...
Scotty_Crown
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Hi, my crown Mon, 19 April 2004 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im going to sandblast it all, then fish oil, then primer, then black sound deadner, then anotehr coat of primer tehn paint for the floor pan. Its going to cost more but last for ages
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 20 April 2004 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good to have another crown in the Toymods gang.

Old school is the good school
Scotty_Crown
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Hi, my crown Tue, 20 April 2004 10:49 Go to previous message
the 2m donk is fine. all it needs is another carby and some plugs
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How to power up a rental car
Next Topic:good 4wd wreckers in brissy?
Goto Forum: