Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Track Talk » ST162 vs. Tree - !!! ITS FIXED !!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
icon14.gif  ST162 vs. Tree - !!! ITS FIXED !!! Sun, 18 April 2004 07:22 Go to next message
Yesterday I was out for a drive along Bryson's Rd, Warranwood. It had just rained and i was about to learn an important lesson.

It happened on this descending, blind corner type thing (kinda like the first half of the 'corkscrew' at Laguna Seca). The surface is pretty poor - the bitumen is missing on parts and the glazed tar is showing.

I was on the brakes, and it was downhill so the rear of the car was pretty light. As i came around the apex there was a Landcruiser coming up the other way - he was just over the line in the middle of the road. I jerked the wheel to avoid him (mistake #1) causing the rear right to lock and the tail of my car to slide out. Then i over corrected it (mistake #2)and it started fishtailing. The car ended up going sideways into a tree on the edge of a gully.

Luckily my 2 passengers and I walked away without a scratch and after we got it towed from the embankment i drove it home.

It could've been so much worse - apparently 1 car a month goes off the road there. The last one missed the trees and ended up on its roof in the bottom of the gully~ I drive down that road often, but usually in the Rav which has better traction in the wet, and never noticed how bad that corner really was.

My poor baby Sad ;
http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/side_view.jpg

The chassis sill will be hard ( = expensive) to fix;
http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/bottom_sill.jpg

As will this;
http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/a_pillar.jpg

Hopefully this can be beaten out and bogged up alright;
http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/34_panel.jpg

Could anyone hazard a guess as to how much they reckon this'll cost to fix? I don't think the chassis is bent - the alignment was still good and the car wasn't crabbing on the way home. How much would a complete door (w/ trim) cost? All the electrics in mine still work so hopefully they can be salvaged.

[Updated on: Thu, 20 May 2004 07:51]

Send a private message to this user    
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 vs. Tree Sun, 18 April 2004 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW: I wasn't speeding or doing anything dumb at the time - it was just a bad combination of inexperience and dodgy road~ We probly hit the tree at about 30km/h.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST162 vs. Tree Sun, 18 April 2004 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And all the while the driver of the cruiser would have watched the whole thing in his rear view as he blissfully kept puttering along on his way too I'd wager.

You also need to stir up the good for nothing council to fix that road too by the sounds of it. One car a month is shocking.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST162 vs. Tree Sun, 18 April 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my bingle had that much damage on it ... i was going much quicker than 30km/h though !!!

it is fixable ... is u are willing to have it off the road Sad

comprehensive insurance ?
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: ST162 vs. Tree Sun, 18 April 2004 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You had better hope that the chasis isn't bent, it happened to my parent's forrester, would have cost about 3000 without insurance, and that was by reversing into something at low speed.
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 vs. Tree Sun, 18 April 2004 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I only got 3rd party on it, but if i can get it repaired for under $3500 it'll still work out cheaper than having comprehensive.

If it cant be fixed then i might get a Camry and transplant the mechanicals, it'd be a shame though - the car was in pristine condition~
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: ST162 vs. Tree Sun, 18 April 2004 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that sucks man, hope you can get your baby all fixed up Cool
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 vs. Tree Mon, 19 April 2004 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude I am sorry to see that! It sux bad ay..

I hate to see a 162 all messed up Smile Hope it all works out for you man I really do.

Rob Smile
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
icon9.gif  Re: ST162 vs. Tree Mon, 19 April 2004 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Had a couple of quotes done today - $5000, $4800 and one waiting to come through on fax. It'll be off the road for atleast a month. I'm taking it to a friend of a friend in Dandenong some time this week, hopefully it'll be a bit cheaper Crying or Very Sad .

I'm not sure what to do - what would the car be worth as is? Should I sell it for what i can get for it and get another car? Could I save some cash by buying a donor car for around $1000?

So should've shelled out for the comprehensive in hindsight. *sigh* I'm so heartbroken!

[Updated on: Mon, 19 April 2004 09:54]

TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: ST162 vs. Tree Mon, 19 April 2004 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,
Saw this today, really sad stuff, the chassis still seems ok, but yeah smashed_wombat showed me the corner tonight, its one of the worsed corners around..

I went through it pretty damn slow in the corolla CS, and it still felt pretty rough, the road is corrogated, and it would be a death trap in the wet...

Glad ur ok from it though, it could have been a lot worse...

My recommendation would be to get a doner shell and swap everything over, u've got a perfect interior, and engine...

For the money of repairing u could get another st-162 for that...

Just my 2 cents..
nice to meet ya by the way Andrew!
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: ST162 vs. Tree Tue, 20 April 2004 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Sun, 18 April 2004 18:23

my bingle had that much damage on it ... i was going much quicker than 30km/h though !!!

it is fixable ... is u are willing to have it off the road Sad

comprehensive insurance ?

It varies a lot. I wrote off a car going about 20-30 and it totally looked like it was going twice as fast. If it just hits right or something it can do that.
ronin11
Occasional Poster

October 2002

Re: ST162 vs. Tree Sat, 24 April 2004 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tree-1 162-0
haha.

read about it on celica.net man. sad to see. for those prices though is it really worth fixing it?? can't you buy another one for around the same cost? id be doing that and save the risk of a bent chassis, that kinked rail doesnt look good.

glad you walked out alive and no one was hurt.
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 vs. Tree Sat, 24 April 2004 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah - the more I think about it, the more ways i can see it being horribly worse!

I went and got a few of my own quotes yesterday and its looking a little better! I offered to find the parts (by buying a side-cut w/ the chassis sill, door and A-pillar), sand + prime the panels and strip the interior myself and that price came down to a more reasonable $1500.

Another panel-beater said he'd do the job for around the same price but he'd fix the quarter panel instead of replacing it and try to pull out the sill and A-pillar first. Hopefully its gonna work out.

I'll probably keep it another year then sell it to some hoon~ Such a shame tho - the car was perfect before this happened. I suppose I'm gonna learn some basic panel-beating out of it, so it's not all bad!
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 vs. Tree Sat, 24 April 2004 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if only you lived in syd. I know heaps of beaters that would of fixed that for around $1500.

So sorry about the car it looks clean, and thankgod your ok!
sharmz
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Re: ST162 vs. Tree Sat, 24 April 2004 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn man, sorry to hear that, hope it all gets fixed up and doesnt work out too expensive Crying or Very Sad
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
icon14.gif  Re: ST162 vs. Tree Thu, 20 May 2004 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got the car back today!!! After five loooong weeks Im finally back behind the wheel-

I got it fixed by Ringwood Smash Repairs who have done an absolutely unbelievable job on it;

http://members.optushome.com.au/st162/stuff/fixed1.jpg

http://members.optushome.com.au/st162/stuff/fixed2.jpg

Now I gotta chase up the following parts to finish off the job:
- drivers side rear-vision mirror assembly
- sill panel moulding
- that black strip that runs along the roofline
- black door trim
- 'twin cam 16' decal... if i can be bothered

Should come in under $200, so its all good Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 20 May 2004 07:40]

Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: ST162 vs. Tree - !!! ITS FIXED !!! Thu, 20 May 2004 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so how much was it for the repairs in the end?
stereomike
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 vs. Tree - !!! ITS FIXED !!! Sat, 22 May 2004 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saw this the other night when you guys came over, looks bloody great, i'd never have known it was ever in a bingle if you hadn't mentioned it yourself!
dar_sbb
Regular

June 2003
Re: ST162 vs. Tree - !!! ITS FIXED !!! Sat, 19 June 2004 01:09 Go to previous message
Nice!

we can go on a cruise now!!!!! Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Speeding fine....
Next Topic:The White Stallion. Is dead(Pics Added)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 08:15:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060160160064697 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.