Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Painting - Bare metal or not?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
-NiCkeL-
Regular

February 2004

Painting - Bare metal or not? Mon, 19 April 2004 01:53 Go to next message
Hi guys,

I am in the process of building another TA22, and I just wanted some opinions on whether you recommend going back to bare metal when doing a re-spray.

With the usual amount of rust and being pretty straight, would you think it's nessecary to take it back?

Send a private message to this user    
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Painting - Bare metal or not? Mon, 19 April 2004 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends on your budget and what you want from the car. If you want to 'restore' it and keep it for a long time, then you'd want to sand blast, then 'grit' then coat with some kind of phosphate thingo (so as to prevent any rust as bare metal oxidises VERY quickly).

If you just want the car to look a bit neater for a year or two then just sand a bit then respray.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Painting - Bare metal or not? Mon, 19 April 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i haven't done mine bare metal, but, i'm not entering shows for best paint ect ect - just solongas it looks neat and tidy, thats all i'm after Smile
SLY16V
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Painting - Bare metal or not? Mon, 19 April 2004 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my passenger door and guards are bare maetal but the rest of the car isnt and you cant tell the difference if your good at sanding...
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Painting - Bare metal or not? Mon, 19 April 2004 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well said actually sly...
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Painting - Bare metal or not? Mon, 19 April 2004 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-NiCkeL- wrote on Mon, 19 April 2004 11:53

Hi guys,

I am in the process of building another TA22, and I just wanted some opinions on whether you recommend going back to bare metal when doing a re-spray.

With the usual amount of rust and being pretty straight, would you think it's nessecary to take it back?

In my ae86 im going treat the rust as mush as possible, back to bare only in those eares so i can treat the rust properly then a good wet and dry sand all over then spray.

But i agree with FWDboy, depends on what you want, $$$$, and time.
-NiCkeL-
Regular

February 2004

Re: Painting - Bare metal or not? Mon, 19 April 2004 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Saying that, a bare metal respray will give a longer lasting and better overall paint job?

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Painting - Bare metal or not? Tue, 20 April 2004 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I went bare metal with my XX, but mainly because I didn't trust the people with the car before me, nor was their paint job good enough to risk my paint being stuck to. Rightly so, I found a fair amount of bog hiding rust that wasn't repaired properly that would've just come back.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Painting - Bare metal or not? Tue, 20 April 2004 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's a good point actually. The amount of bog and crap that you tend to find when you go back to bare metal is usually pretty surprising, and it's a good idea to find out whether anyone has done something stupid with you car, like bog up chassis rail damage Smile
-NiCkeL-
Regular

February 2004

Re: Painting - Bare metal or not? Tue, 20 April 2004 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys for your input!
scaface
Newcomer

April 2004
Re: Painting - Bare metal or not? Tue, 20 April 2004 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you don't go back to bare metal you tend to see every little imperfection. if you have the proper tools it'll only take you a half a day to sand it all back
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Painting - Bare metal or not? Tue, 20 April 2004 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scaface wrote on Tue, 20 April 2004 16:14

if you have the proper tools it'll only take you a half a day to sand it all back

Are you sure mate? I DID have the proper tools, and it took multiple people more than half a day to get it done!
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Painting - Bare metal or not? Tue, 20 April 2004 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scaface wrote on Tue, 20 April 2004 17:44

if you have the proper tools it'll only take you a half a day to sand it all back

What do you call "proper tools" ?
SLY16V
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Painting - Bare metal or not? Tue, 20 April 2004 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your hand,sandpaper and a sanding block Laughing
-NiCkeL-
Regular

February 2004

Re: Painting - Bare metal or not? Wed, 21 April 2004 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about using paint stripper?

If I do decide to go back to bare metal, what do you do from there? I know exposed bare metal will rust very quickly, what processes do you go through before you apply undercoat?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Painting - Bare metal or not? Wed, 21 April 2004 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used 3M paint stripper discs on a drill to begin with. It works pretty well, but you go through them especially when there was a couple of layers of paint like there was on my car.

I went to paint stripper, and found that providing you didn't scratch it off, it left nearly all the factory rust proofing on. Having said that, ASAP I'd give it a coat of at least primer, although I used POR15 over the whole car so effectively it shouldn't rust for the rest of its life!
-NiCkeL-
Regular

February 2004

Re: Painting - Bare metal or not? Wed, 21 April 2004 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What is this POR15 you speak about?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Painting - Bare metal or not? Wed, 21 April 2004 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.ppc.au.com
-NiCkeL-
Regular

February 2004

Re: Painting - Bare metal or not? Wed, 21 April 2004 01:13 Go to previous message
Thanks dude!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Opinions on my slipping clutch - with pics
Next Topic:MX83 Cressida - Gearbox
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 10:10:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.012803792953491 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.