Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
ae92 brake info & compatibility Sun, 18 April 2004 15:02 Go to next message
Ok... before you all flame me I've already read the http://www.twincam.org/forums/index.php?showtopic= 1063 FAQ but I still have some questions.

From the FAQ:
"The "normal" (non-Superstrut) AE101 brakes use a 255mm dia * 22mm thick disc and use the same single piston caliper as both of the AE92 series SX brakes."

That suggests that both the series SX has the same calipers is that true because they run different sized discs. Also the FAQ says

"2.) If you already have early series AE92 SX front brakes (238mm dia * 18mm thick vented discs). You have two options :

a.) You can simply bolt on late series AE92 (SX Seca / GTi) 258mm dia * 22mm thick vented discs and calipers."

But if the 2 calipers were the same why would you replace the early model one?

Which brakes were on the ae92 ultima and RV? I know they were vented but were they the same as the early SX or the late SX??
Does anyone out there have ae101 superstrut calipers under an aftermarket 14 inch rim WITHOUT SPACERS? I've got 14 inch rims and I'm not sure if I should start looking for superstrut calipers or not.
Is the difference between the series 2 SX ae92 calipers and the ae101 superstrut dramatic? Stopping power? Pedal feel? Worth it upgrading from series 2 SX ae92?
How about ae111 brakes? Which calipers did these cars have? Compatible with ae92?

Thanks in advance
  Send a private message to this user    
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: ae92 brake info & compatibility Sun, 18 April 2004 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when I changed from AE92 Levin GTZ brakes (same as S2 SX) to the superstrut setup, the difference was HUGE. Much more stopping power and better pedal feel. Even my GF commented on how much better the car stopped after the upgrade (she used the car as her daily driver). The twin piston setup combined with the larger pad area and thicker disc is a great simple upgrade for the ae92. I've got another set which is going on another ae92 I jave here as the S2 brakes are crap in comparison...

as for the advantages of changing from S1 to S2 brakes, the bigger diameter and thicker discs are a definate improvment, but still nothing to write home about IMHO.
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: ae92 brake info & compatibility Mon, 19 April 2004 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jasonp1977: Both cars have 15 inch or bigger rims?
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: ae92 brake info & compatibility Mon, 19 April 2004 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Which brakes were on the ae92 ultima

has solid front rotors about 13.5mm thick I think. Can't remember diameter, probably same as Csi font though. I think the ultima I'm talking about was an Ae94. So you don't want these ones!

[Updated on: Mon, 19 April 2004 11:20]

jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: ae92 brake info & compatibility Mon, 19 April 2004 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes they both had 15's and there wasn't much clearance, about 5-10mm maybe
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ae92 brake info & compatibility Tue, 20 April 2004 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've use AE102 on my G/F's AE82- dia 255mm,22mm thickness,these also have a larger pad area than both AE92 and AE101's and will fit inside 14" rims

Quote:

as for the advantages of changing from S1 to S2 brakes, the bigger diameter and thicker discs are a definate improvment, but still nothing to write home about IMHO.

I think there would be very little noticeable improvement, in exception of brake fad with the S2, still the choice set are the AE92 and AE101 GZE twin spots.... and if your still not satisfied, well... Rolling Eyes
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~johnek/fbrake.jpg
GTR and custom two piece rotors!! which just fit inside, ie about 1-2mm clearance, a correctly offsetted 15" rim (16" shown).
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: ae92 brake info & compatibility Tue, 20 April 2004 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johnny wrote on Tue, 20 April 2004 15:08

I've use AE102 on my G/F's AE82- dia 255mm,22mm thickness,these also have a larger pad area than both AE92 and AE101's and will fit inside 14" rims

Ae102 is the aust spec corolla with the 7afe yes? This caliper is different from all ae92 calipers? Was the upgrade worth it or would you go for superstrut calipers if you were to do it again?

Ok... so to recap
ae101 single piston is the smallest of the ae100 series?
(Is this the same as the series 2 ae93 sx caliper?)

ae102 single piston caliper is slightly bigger than ae101 caliper

ae101 with superstrut suspension has two pistons and has the biggest surface area of the lot.

Is this all correct?
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ae92 brake info & compatibility Tue, 20 April 2004 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Ae102 is the aust spec corolla with the 7afe yes? This caliper is different from all ae92 calipers?

yes and yes, I can really remember ifits the actual caliper that sit taller or the mounting on the hub assembly, but they are(calipers) interchangeable
Quote:

Was the upgrade worth it or would you go for superstrut calipers if you were to do it again?

Hey look at the major up grade I did, I just use the left overs from the GTR onto rolla conversion, and they were a bigger setup then AE101 20V ones on the Front cut, and work well on the rally car I did the conversion on, so it was an easy choice... Sure the Twin spot do give a bit better stopping and better pad wear over the AE102's, but with a good match in pads and disc's they do stop very well.

Quote:

ae101 single piston is the smallest of the ae100 series?
(Is this the same as the series 2 ae93 sx caliper?)

ae102 single piston caliper is slightly bigger than ae101 caliper

Yes

Quote:

ae101 with superstrut suspension has two pistons and has the biggest surface area of the lot.

Better Force acting on the pad area... I really remember Pad area of AE101 twins Vs AE102
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: ae92 brake info & compatibility Mon, 26 April 2004 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johnny wrote on Tue, 20 April 2004 15:08

I checked the dba website and those specs are for the ae102 disc (DB709). How did you get around the 55mm diameter centre hole?? I was thinking of just using of just using ae93 series 2 sx discs DB708 with the ae102 calipers. This disc is an extra 3 mm in diameter but has the 54mm centre hole. Do you think there would be enough clearance between the disc and the caliper??
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ae92 brake info & compatibility Mon, 26 April 2004 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE10# hub assembely... I had an AE101 front cut handy. SSS sell the whole strut with brakes quiet cheap.

Quote:

I was thinking of just using of just using ae93 series 2 sx discs DB708 with the ae102 calipers. This disc is an extra 3 mm in diameter but has the 54mm centre hole. Do you think there would be enough clearance between the disc and the caliper??

That could be very close, the only way is to measure.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: ae92 brake info & compatibility Tue, 27 April 2004 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And yes 15" rims or greater required on the superstruts.
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: ae92 brake info & compatibility Tue, 27 April 2004 06:46 Go to previous message
the RV has the series 2 discs, not 100% sure on the ultimas setup.

Ultimas also came with rear discs to broaden the chance of fitting a rear disc setup.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:i dont need help i need advice BHG 7m gte!
Next Topic:How to understand "The value of damping force"
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:58:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005950927734375 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.