Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 05:46 Go to next message
I have run out of alternatives.

I will get some "H" shape rubber mounts to isolate the amp eventually.

I have heard that the vibrations can affecty the circutry.

I will have the box kinda rectangle filling up the space behind my seats about 10 cm away from the top edge of the seats.

Sub will go behind the driver's side rear seat, amp on the box but behind the passenger side rear seat on the box. Sound ok? Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll end up with problems with you RCA plugs vibration loose in the short term and in the long term possibly other components vibrating loose.

Can't fix it to the rear seats? boot floor?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well dude the thing with the floor is that I kinda am changing the shape of my box to a custom skinny one mounted at the back of the seats. This way I can have more floor space in my boot, so I don't really want to put the amp there.

Rear seats will be obscured by the box.

my dillema hehe

RCAs will be mounted on the vertically "up" part of the amp, so they won't fall out. Amp power + speaker screws down the bottom. I can forsee these perhaps coming loose, but am really stuck for alternatives
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You have already had it like that for a while though. Although not direclt on it, still attached. Smile

Dont do it unless you have some mounts though.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry I ment the RCA plugs on the Amp the Gold (silver) surrounds where you plug your RCA cord in come loose as they generally aren't soldered to the board.

If there is no room for the amp between the seat and the box (sorry I don't know the later Celica's boots that well) you could mount it on the box but some insulation would be good Smile

Mount it on the roof???
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Later model?? You count the 162 as a late model? Smile

Roof sounds cool. Smile

No there is no room between the seats and the box.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here's a pretty picture for you.

because of the angle of the seats this is only going to protude 9.5cm into the boot

Very Happy

http://www.goodshopping.com.au/celica/subbie.gif
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I meant later models than the REAL Celicas

You Know the TA/RA ones

Bahahahahahaaaaaaa....... Twisted Evil
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You have obviously already built the box???
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no i haven't just designed it Smile was gonna build it now unless you had some words of wisdom Very Happy

like how good the ST162 celicas are lol Wink
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh. Yes of course should have realised it.

Dude if you are going to put some nice rubber mounts on anyway, what's the problem?
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. that is a pretty big box for 1 sub
2. cut out a rebate at the base of the box so the amp fixes to the floor and the box covers it.

3. ST162 Celicas rock.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

2. cut out a rebate at the base of the box so the amp fixes to the floor and the box covers it.

my amp is 32cm long *teehee* so that would look dumb methinks.. the amp sticking 1/2 out - whatever happens my boot can't look dumb

it is a good sub and that is the recommended volume for it.. I can't argue with the specs...

point #3... very gracious of you there Smile
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
O.K big sub...Bigish Amp. 55 litre box Hmmmm.

Will the box at current size cover the spare wheel well?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no it fits JUST inside the hump created by the wheel and that bit of masonite. Quite nice really.. Smile
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey rob if that doesn't work you could always mount the amp under one of the front seats. You seen my setup and that works heaps good, sounds better now that a friend showed me how to tune it Embarassed

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe yeah dude I would like to do that, but a) the amp moves around quite a bit with my driving and b) I often carry passengers in the back, and that means they would be standing on the amp Sad

just to do with that little hump at the front of the front seats and when there amp ends up sliding too Smile

My brother has this setup in his Supra and it really doesn't work, and he has more room than me in the back

but totally thanks for the idea dude... just don't work for me Sad
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're happy to see the Amp (I wouldn't be for security reasons) And you're happy to use some sort of rubber insulation to secure the amp. that will prolong the amps life (and it's possible that you won't have problems) Go for it.

I was trying to think of some alternative installations but all have flaws.

Off the top of my head using the current box design
Amp locations:
In the side of the Boot (thinks I tryed this in an Ra40)
under the rear seat (creates Cooling issues)
under driver/passenger seat.
Roof (don't laugh saved me buying 2 new amps, however hard to secure)
front of car in front of radiator (intercooler style - Very Rice)

The other thing to mention check to see if the Sub's magnet will fit in a box that shallow. (before you spend all the time building the box.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the heads up on the sub clearance.

I just went and checked it. aok *phew* though I haven't cut anything yet

Quote:

front of car in front of radiator (intercooler style - Very Rice)

ROFL BABABABAAHHAHAHAHAHAA duuude... made even funnier by the fact that my amp is shiny chrome rofl haha

Luckily my just completed parcel shelf will make the amp invisible Very Happy I will take a photo when it is done, should be sweeet.

I have wracked my brain trying to think of other places, and the side of the boot seems the next most logical, yet that would mean damaging my interior, so I think it is unanimously? Smile the box

lambolica, thanks for you time man.. you rule Wink as does wiso, and cal.. Wink

edit: I will get piccies up when it is done

[Updated on: Wed, 21 April 2004 08:00]

wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Wed, 21 April 2004 17:53

a) the amp moves around quite a bit with my driving and b)

I thought that was why you were suppose to use screws to hold it down Razz Razz Razz

hey thats cool man

Yeah I'd just go ahead with your plan
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, well if you're putting in a parel shelf go for it...

More words of wisdom if the parcel shelf is made if timber of any other vibration prone solid material. locate some ports to let sound waves pass through and make sure that you put some foam insulation (or similar) around anything it touches to kill vibration and stick a little piece of foam under the number plate.

Cool
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its upto you it wont damage anything, and the rca's falling off is unlikely unless they are cheap. I have my new 2k amp stuck to my box which i know is not the best security wise, but cant be bothered fixing it when its all going in the celica where i will make a custom install with a false floor in the boot.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why don't you just mount it under your seat?
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unless u have built a very shitty box there will be no vibratins at all {well almost none} so it wont be a problem with mounting to the side.

that box looks huge, what model sub is it and what size does it say to use.

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agree 100% with phil here

If you built it right, the amount of vibrations in it wont hurt anything. Only thing to consider is ventilation of your amp. If mounting it like that is covering vents, you may cook the amp.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do not under any circumstances mount it upside down, u may as well throw it away now, cause the circuitry gets hot and the heat rises UP to the heat sinks and dissipates, if u mount it upside down all the heat will go into the board
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in the 8 years i did audio install i never had a problem with amps being mounted on sub boxes.

Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For the sub in my bedroom I have the amp mounted in the box 3 years old and still going strong. I cant see any problems with it, just make sure you put in some rubber surround like you are proposing to stop any nasty buzzing.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
too much to read rob, so I am just gonna answer ur question ...

can u bolt the amp onto the back of the rear seat ? thats the best option ... or u can put it under your seat ... thats a ood option too ...

do not recommend putting on the box ... but i am sure many people have done this and have had no probs ! Very Happy

[Updated on: Wed, 21 April 2004 14:23]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I put mine under the seat so it was hidden, and it gets fairly hot in the peak of summer, but seems to survive pretty well.

The only real issue I have with mounting it to the box itself is it makes it easy to steal. They only have to grab one thing.
Toml
Regular

March 2004
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Wed, 21 April 2004 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Many OEM, lower quality manufacturers make subs in pre-made boxes with amps INSIDE the box. I don't know what this would be like in terms of heating problems, but it could be something to think about?

I know your amp is larger than your current box - but if you widen the box and decrease it in some other dimension, it's going to keep the same volume.

Just some thoughts...

Tom.
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Thu, 22 April 2004 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I built a box in my old 162 that spanned the length of the boot, was fairly narrow so you could (almost) get the spare tire out. Also had a parcel shelf above it with 2 6*9 boxes as part of the whole box. Looked smick Smile Still working out what I'm going to do for my car now - but thats after I get the damn thing running Smile
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Thu, 22 April 2004 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boys!

She's in! Very very schmick Smile

Quote:

do not under any circumstances mount it upside down, u may as well throw it away now, cause the circuitry gets hot and the heat rises UP to the heat sinks and dissipates, if u mount it upside down all the heat will go into the board

rofl.. hahahha now you would HAVE to be an idiot to do that Very Happy

anyway, I will take some pix if I can. Sits out about 10cm from the back seats. Basically just like my diagram up top. Funny that. Smile

Have 6x9s in the parcel shelf till i get something better. VERY dodgy sony xplods

But can get the tire in and out no prob. Amp is mounted flush on the box.

But yeah, pix coming

But looks a treat. I have my boot back

Thanks SO much everyone. Glad to hear I wont vibrate my amp to death.

Box was built using 16mm MDF. A decent number of screws and sellys all-clear in all the joint surfaces. sealed baby! Smile I make good boxes.. mwah ha

had to taper the edges though to accomodate some little parcel shelf clips I have forgotten about
Embarassed

THAT was a bitch to do. I hate funky stuff haaha... and you should see the pile of MDF powder outside my room. haha

anyway pix soon
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Thu, 22 April 2004 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Thu, 22 April 2004 18:36

Have 6x9s in the parcel shelf till i get something better. VERY dodgy sony xplods

isnt all XPLOD stuff dodgy Razz
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Thu, 22 April 2004 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

[isnt all XPLOD stuff dodgy

shaw is! Which is why the only reason I have them is because they were given too me Very Happy

better than what I had before though.. hehe
wraith
Regular

October 2003
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Fri, 30 April 2004 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have a pair of 12" Xplod subs (they were cheap!) run by a pair of Xplod 444 amps (I had one lying around...) 16 od mm MDF with a timber frame box (what vibrations?) bunged in the back of my '86.... goes heaps harder than the 8" venoms in the lux! (single cab!) Remember, there is nothing wrong with cheap car audio gear unless you mainly listen to it when your vehicle is off, or you have a Lexus with no noises or vibration.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: So how much of a bad idea is it to mount my amp onto my sub box? Thu, 03 June 2004 02:25 Go to previous message
Guys

just want to say thanks for all the help

the box is now built and in the car..

http://www.goodshopping.com.au/celica/stereo1.jpg

I got more pix on my site

the only thing that turned out to be a real pain, was a) making sure it was deep enough for the sub and b) having to cut the corners off the box to make way for the parcel shelf clips so the box had like large bevels on the left and right top corners. SUPER PAIN to make them and keep it all sealed etc...

but works a TREAT now

AMP is screwed into box for now till I get mounts, but thanks for all your help
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:just wondering what years the RA60/65's range from?
Next Topic:ke55 rear suspension
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:17:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0080389976501465 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.