Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1JZ-GTE Missing Erratically

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
icon13.gif  1JZ-GTE Missing Erratically Wed, 21 April 2004 07:35 Go to next message
What's the general consensus on an engine that misses? Sometimes I cold start the car and it sounds like a lawn mower. cloud of black smoke, rev's like a 2 stroke.

Other times it will just start normally. However, in warm cruising it often misses a few beats now and then. Under boost it doesn't seem to miss though (if it isn't already idling like a 2 stroke).

I have NGK BKR6E with 0.8mm gap, they are fairly new. I'm running a MicroTech LTX12. It runs rich at idle.

My guess is it has to be the spark plugs not gapped properly or fouled (what would cause it to foul, oil on them?) or coil pack moving around. I think I've tracked it down to number 4 cylinder. I did think it was an injector not firing as jiggling the wires stopped it from missing, but the unburnt fuel would say otherwise.

It's really hard to pinpoint, as it only happens every now and then. I thought it could change with temperature if it was sparkplugs, or vibrations moving the coilpacks if that was the problem. All I can really do is jiggle wires, or jiggle the coilpack if it happens again.

[Updated on: Wed, 21 April 2004 07:38]

Send a private message to this user    
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: 1JZ-GTE Missing Erratically Wed, 21 April 2004 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It could be one of many things
Dirty spark plugs / incorrectly gapped plugs
Faulty spark plug lead
dirty injector / faulty injector
bad piston rings
coil
single cylinder running wrong mixture due to badly tuned ecu

most likely I would say the spark plugs or leads though...
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ-GTE Missing Erratically Wed, 21 April 2004 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've taken the coilpack off and put it back on again. Started it up and it seems fine.

If it does it again i'll have a look at the sparkplugs, and the MicroTech tuning. I may even replace the sparkplugs again.

What other plugs would people recomend? NGK BKR7E with 0.8mm gap?

I have 10PSI, Exhaust, Airfilter, MicroTech, standard intercooler, oil cooler. Estimate 185kw at the wheels. In 2 weeks, larger intercooler and 14PSI.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1JZ-GTE Missing Erratically Wed, 21 April 2004 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's not gonna be the plugwires, cos there aren't any Evil or Very Mad Igniter, coils, wires, and ECU. Check all of these properly Evil or Very Mad As well as checking earthing, and that your alternator is working properly... Better yet, ditch the microtech Evil or Very Mad
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ-GTE Missing Erratically Wed, 21 April 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is nothing wrong with the MicroTech! Pffft... I think it may have something to do with the main earth wire on the block being ripped off too.

Get rid of the MicroTech, PFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTT! And get what... an uber expensive Power FC or Motec? Yeah that's thinking. If there was a problem with anyone's MicroTech it's all to do with the tuner.

Hehe. Very Happy
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ-GTE Missing Erratically Wed, 21 April 2004 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PowerFC expensive ? Not anymore. Got mine for $1100 new Very Happy

BKR7E will cause plugs to foul even quicker since they are a colder plug. I'd stick with the BKR6E until you sort out the problem.
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ-GTE Missing Erratically Thu, 22 April 2004 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soarer: That is very cheap! How much was install and tune though? I'm sure not everyone can get them for that price, and availability would be a problem. How much are the handsets? My MicroTech was cheap, and came with good support here in Adelaide.

Back to the plugs. Could it have anything to do with my gapping them improperly? Could they get to a certain heat range and change distance? The next thing will be to get a solid earth straight to the block.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ-GTE Missing Erratically Thu, 22 April 2004 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Install = DIY. Unplug the existing ECU and plonk in the PowerFC. Tuning is $300. Hand controller is around $400.
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ-GTE Missing Erratically Thu, 22 April 2004 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So it's still a bit more expensive if you didn't install it yourself. Remember my engine isn't standard in my car. If I could have found one easily when I needed one, and at that price I may have bought it.
wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1JZ-GTE Missing Erratically Thu, 22 April 2004 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soarer: Details man! Very Happy Where did you get the ECU from? where did you get it tuned?

[Updated on: Thu, 22 April 2004 06:18]

Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ-GTE Missing Erratically Thu, 22 April 2004 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I thought that sounded rediculously cheap, and new as well. Normally they are more than that price second hand.
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ-GTE Missing Erratically Thu, 22 April 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wastegate, how many KW does your car make?
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ-GTE Missing Erratically Thu, 22 April 2004 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wastegate wrote on Thu, 22 April 2004 16:18

Soarer: Details man! Very Happy Where did you get the ECU from? where did you get it tuned?

PM sent. Purchases are legit, products are brand new.
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ-GTE Missing Erratically Thu, 22 April 2004 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where is my PM? Smile
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ-GTE Missing Erratically Thu, 22 April 2004 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danish wrote on Thu, 22 April 2004 17:40

Where is my PM? Smile

PM sent Smile
Special Ed
Regular

November 2003
Re: 1JZ-GTE Missing Erratically Thu, 22 April 2004 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Send those details my way too !!! - I am seriously considering a power fc very soon.

As for the miss - are those plugs you installed "v - groove" ?

If so throw them away - a couple of 1j's i know , including mine, dod not run happily on them. Misfiring - coughing under random conditions - especially when the engine was cold.

Dont know why - dont really care. Just get some of the older style "normal" electrode NGK's. Fixed all probs straight away.

Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ-GTE Missing Erratically Thu, 22 April 2004 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, they are NON V Grooved.

Thanks.
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ-GTE Missing Erratically Thu, 22 April 2004 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I take it you can no longer pull diagnostic codes with the Microtech installed?
Check the wiring, insulation, shielding to your CAS - heard of two with intermittent spluttering that turned out to be an intermittent faulty CAS output from damaged wiring.

Power FC, Hand Controller, Electronic Boost Control/3 Bar MAP Kit for under 2K here with no cost/need to butcher factory loom or fit.

http://search.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/search/auc?p =%A5%D1%A5%EF%A1%BC%A3%C6%A3%C3&auccat=0&a locale=0jp&acc=jp&mode=1
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZ-GTE Missing Erratically Thu, 22 April 2004 13:38 Go to previous message
No diagnostics, well not really. The wires look fine too.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Clutch Slave q's
Next Topic:4AGE and 18RGEU?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 21:06:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073471069335938 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.