Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » MA61 cooling system - custom?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
steeko
Regular

July 2002
MA61 cooling system - custom? Thu, 22 April 2004 01:56 Go to next message
Hi guys, having had my mk2 back for 2 months it has problems again. I overheated one day just at 60KMH driving.
I tried to fix it myself, but found my thermostat and water pump were still working. I took it to the nearest mechanic who then replaced the water pump, thermo stat, water vacuum assembly (ontop). However the radiator cap is faulty and there is cracks in the radiator. They repaired some of the core, but said a full recore would cost me $400 minimum Sad
i noticed my auto trans cooling goes thru my radiator.
I dont want another rusty radiator, wot options do i have?
a custom alluminium one? a radiator from a different model toyota? I dont wanna ask Toyota parts for how much I'm sure it'll be ridiculous.

Here is a link in the states, i found one for $123 US, but looks like the top intake is on the LHS for their LHD models.
Could this be turned around or too much stuffing around?

http://www.tautobodyparts.com/supra-1984-bodyparts ---P811.html

else, if anyone has any suggestions for me would be great.
Can't afford a 7M conversion or anything like that, so the 5M has to last me another year or 2.

Thanx again guys.
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 cooling system - custom? Thu, 22 April 2004 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$400 for a core!? Tell them to go away, and get your current tanks grafted onto a three-core radiator. Should cost no more than the $400 you've been quoted for a replacement and be good enough for any engine conversion you may wish to throw at it down the track Smile
steeko
Regular

July 2002
Re: MA61 cooling system - custom? Thu, 22 April 2004 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool, thanx for that. I'll try another few radiator places.
I've already found a replacement from a few US stores and found the intake is same side as ozzy ones from looking at yanky pics of mark2 surpa's.

I also emailed them to confirm. Is it worth a newy from the states or just graft a new one?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 cooling system - custom? Thu, 22 April 2004 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shipping for such a bulky item is likely to be horrendous, and silly when you can go to any old radiator shop and get a brand new core pretty cheap. I got a 3-row core (up from the stock 2-row) for $300.
Fruitloop
Regular

March 2004
Re: MA61 cooling system - custom? Thu, 22 April 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a simple question "why go three core?"...does it hold any more coolant or the same ??. (smaller cores cross sectional area with the same tanks)
Ta
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: MA61 cooling system - custom? Thu, 22 April 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go and see someone like Western Suburbs Radiator Service - or even better, PM <People100> on this forum as he works in a Rad shop in brisbane.

WRS upgraded my 2-core RA40 rad to 3core for not too much.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 cooling system - custom? Thu, 22 April 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, Western Suburbs Radiator get the thumbs up from me, good workmanship and it won't cost you an arm and a leg. I got my radiator and my "cooling block" (aka intercooler) fabricated there.

The 3-core has extra cooling capacity thanks to 50% more surface area for the heat to dissipate. You won't need this for a stock 5M, but it's highly recommended for a turbo engine conversion.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA61 cooling system - custom? Thu, 22 April 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got an ma70 auto radiator, or a sa63 (manual tho)...pretty much the same thing if u wanna try it out.
steeko
Regular

July 2002
Re: MA61 cooling system - custom? Fri, 23 April 2004 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sure, i'll try the western suburbs place too.
I guess a 3core would be best for the future, but i'm not too fussy, just want to be drivable again.

Wouldn't think a new one from the states would be too much to ship over? I didn't think they were that heavy??
My filler neck and casing is cracked and leaking, also badly corroded, hopefully this Western Suburbs place can make a new neck and assembly, else I guess I'll have to get a replacement somehow. Dont wanna get one from a wreck cuz that's probably rooted already.. my current one is 60% solidly blocked Sad
Clint from Western Oz has some that might fit my ride Smile
I looked at my nana's cressida and looks very very similar to my ma61 rad.

thanx for the suggestions guys..
Hey V8_ma61, duz the MA70 rad you got have a section for the auto trans fluid to cool through it?? if so sounds great Smile
would have to organise a time with you to see if it fits my ride Smile
also approx how much would u want for it?

thanks again all.
Scott
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA61 cooling system - custom? Fri, 23 April 2004 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes it does have the two pipes that go right through the cooler inside the bottom tank. Its got plastic tanks, std on an ma70..but theyre not discoloured or worn.

Its actually a new replacement radiator so there is nothing wrong with it at all. In a1 nic...I simply had an ma61 rad there which had a new core init, so i figured i could use it when i re-installed my 7mge after rebuild, and it had my thermofan brackets already on it for the thermos i intended to swap to Smile So i have no use for the ma70 one!

Without the thermo fan on the radiator (6.5" ma70 fan) You can take it for $70...or $90 with the thermo.

ONly difference between the two being that the ma61's top mounts are metal and bolt onto the chassis. Ma70s have a clamp, which i still have here. Simple as drilling a hole in your chassis to put a new bolt through!

[Updated on: Fri, 23 April 2004 11:28]

steeko
Regular

July 2002
Re: MA61 cooling system - custom? Sun, 25 April 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweet man Smile
great to hear it has the auto trans fluid cooling..
i sent you a PM before I read this (sorry)..
but yeah I'll take it 100% with the thermo fan thanx Smile
My phone number is in the P.M. will have to arrange a time with you Smile

Anytime this week should be sweet Smile
thanx for your help. I'm currently living at Morayfield but the car is at Thorneside (on the way to the bay near capalaba sorta).

Drop us your mobi on PM and we'll get this rollin Smile

Scott
steeko
Regular

July 2002
Re: MA61 cooling system - custom? Sun, 25 April 2004 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
btw, i priced a custom made aluminium radiator and it'd be around the $1300 to $1500 mark... ouch !!!
steeko
Regular

July 2002
Re: MA61 cooling system - custom? Sun, 25 April 2004 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61,,

woz wondering about your MA70 with the 7M, is it a dark color?
I saw a mark3 in Sunnybank when my mark2 overheated 2 weeks ago.
Woz black i think and had the mark4 wheels, i thought it woz a JZA70 tho??
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA61 cooling system - custom? Sun, 25 April 2004 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine is white mate. And a 7m powered ma70...doesnt overheat though Razz
steeko
Regular

July 2002
Re: MA61 cooling system - custom? Sun, 25 April 2004 12:18 Go to previous message
LOL. true.. hehe
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AGE water pump - hole???
Next Topic:3tgte in a ta22?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 03:57:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059440135955811 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.