Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Engeneer's certificate?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tim123c
Regular

May 2003
Engeneer's certificate? Wed, 19 November 2003 14:13 Go to next message
Hi guys, I got busted the other day by a cop doing a "Random" breath test. Wouldn't really call it random, he obviously targeted me and followed me. Anyway he did a full car inspection and i got fined and defected for a few things, one being "Modified engione without certification".
I have done a GZE conversion into my AE92 seca. Engine is stock, no other mods done to it.
Can anyone out there tell me if i needed the car engineered???
I had the car blue slipped, it passed brake tests (i fitted the bigger brakes from the front cut, no modification needed to fit them), i changed the engine number at the RTA and now they are trying to fine me for it!
I would have thought it would be an "owner certified modification" as it is the same capacity engine as the original, and no structural mods were needed, Straight bolt in.
I'd appreciate your oppinions, thanks guys.
Tim...
  Send a private message to this user    
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: Engeneer's certificate? Wed, 19 November 2003 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
over in perth its a 25% capacity increase and 25% power increase that you can engineer yourself.
over that requires professional engineering

in nsw i believe its 15%?
so 88kW -> 120kW is muuuch greater than 15%

so yeah, requires professional engineering

how you managed to pass the pits without the certificate is beyond me
SXer
Regular

May 2002
Re: Engeneer's certificate? Wed, 19 November 2003 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes - it needs engineering. Look on the RTA website for a guide as to what does, and what doesn't need to be eng'd. I think its under the light vehichle modification link.
I got quotes for engineering this type of conversion & the best that came back was a place called Adcott Engineering. I can't remember the phone number but I can tell you he wanted $350+GST. Definitely get your car engineered, otherwise you open yourself up to a minefield of liability issues if you have an accident.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Engeneer's certificate? Wed, 19 November 2003 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SXer is right on the liability issue, I think your 3rd party is basically void.
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Engeneer's certificate? Thu, 20 November 2003 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Definitely get it engineered!
If you crash into someone, you will pay (personally) for all claims against you, as your insurance company will take one look and say "Unroadworthy, thus policy is voided..."

FWIW, in the Cressida's glovebox, there is an envelope which has full engineering certificaton for the car, including engine, brakes, suspension, and wheels/tyres. Oh, and also a full engineering report on the braided hoses. I might add that all of this has been faxed to the insurance company also...

From the sounds of it, your car *shouldn't* have much trouble passing engineering.

In short, get it done.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Engeneer's certificate? Thu, 20 November 2003 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On power, I suppose you could argue:
AE92 4ag *sposedly* 100kw
AW11 4agze *sposedly* 108kw

(never mind that the engine would be older!)
shindeokure
Regular

September 2003
Re: Engeneer's certificate? Thu, 20 November 2003 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would an ae86 with a bluetop 4age need an engineer cert?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Engeneer's certificate? Fri, 21 November 2003 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
was the AE86 ever released in Australia with a 4AG?
if not then you will need to have it engineered.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Engeneer's certificate? Fri, 23 April 2004 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How sure are you that it's 15%???

My dad seemed to think its 30% but i'm not sure.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Engeneer's certificate? Fri, 23 April 2004 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you've already got the engine number changed on the blue slip I would tell the RTA and the cops to go and get stuffed...

You have done the right thing and taken the car to a person "qualified" to inspect your car and ensure it is roadworthy... technically the blue slip guy is more qualified to deem your car roadworthy than any traffic cop
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Engeneer's certificate? Fri, 23 April 2004 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
79rollaboy wrote on Fri, 23 April 2004 10:12

How sure are you that it's 15%???

My dad seemed to think its 30% but i'm not sure.

as sure as i have a paper copy of the "Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Modification" sitting in front of me Wink

generally things like adding extra cylinders (for same capacity, ie L20 to 1GG) or adding forced inductionwill require engineer certification..

however, you should throw it back in their face and say that an inspection station ok'd it, and they should de-register them Wink
they didn't tell you it needed engineering, so how were you to know?
Cya, Stewart
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Engeneer's certificate? Fri, 23 April 2004 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You have changed from naturally aspirated to forced induction, that alone will need engineering.

oldcorollas wrote on Fri, 21 November 2003 16:13

was the AE86 ever released in Australia with a 4AG?
if not then you will need to have it engineered.

Well sort of.

I have a bluetop in a my ae86 and the blue slip was passed by a mechinical engineer/repairer, didnt even ask about the pod filter.

I believe the 4ag doesnt need engineering due to it being the same capacity and egine family and the 4ac, all you say is "i changed the carby head for a fuel injected head" I do believe it will need engineering due to which ever fuel pump setup you use. Because i cut open the original tank and installed baffles and a efi pump, nobody is the wiser so i didnt even get picked up on it.

RTA didnt ask for engineer papers, i just ask the guy who did the blueslip to change engine numbers, and i was right to go.

Steve

[Updated on: Fri, 23 April 2004 01:21]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Engeneer's certificate? Fri, 23 April 2004 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stewart is 100% on the money!

Basically in the eyes of the RTA, when you add supercharger or a turbocharger to a car that previously didnt have one, EVERYTHING changes! Including the need for an engineers cert. I would also want one done on the brakes as well, even though they are bolt in its still a modification that requires certification.

I myself am in the process of clearing a similar defect for having a 100kW 4age installed in my AE71. There is basically a rule of "inspector's discrestion" as to whether or not the engine requires certification to be OKed for an engine number change blue slip.
# Technically i had a 4A-C installed as stock, being a 1600cc petrol motor 4 cylinder.
# I replaced it with a 4A-GE 1600cc petrol motor, 4 cylinder. Utilising factory engine mounts, no fabrication work required.
# The engine numbers are identical in type, and theoretically have just done a head swap with an identical block to that which was installed before
# The 15% power increase is argueable, there is no increase to capacity nor forced induction.

However, i will eventually get an engineers certificate since i will be performing a brake upgrade, and would like the engine totally 100% legal without question.
-NiCkeL-
Regular

February 2004

Re: Engeneer's certificate? Fri, 23 April 2004 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is an engineers certificate valid for the life of the car, even if it becomes unregistered, etc?
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Engeneer's certificate? Fri, 23 April 2004 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't believe AE92s ever came out standard in Aus with a supercharger, hence they have never gone through Australian Design Rules (ADR) testing - hence need to get engineered.
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Engeneer's certificate? Fri, 23 April 2004 22:28 Go to previous message
Needs to be engineered.

Didnt think a cop could do a full inspection of your car on a random breath test.

They are there to catch drink drivers, not defect.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Alternator: 14.4 Battery: 12.9 Where should I be looking? - SORTED
Next Topic:Gasket goo
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 17 22:31:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077540874481201 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.