Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tafebum
Regular

December 2002
Transaxle options Tue, 20 April 2004 15:36 Go to next message
I'm thinking of building a little open wheel racecar simillar to a Formula Ford. I would like to mount the engine in a North/South orientation.

The only thing that troubles me is transaxle choices. I will be using a 4age @ ~140hp. What are my options as far as a transaxle giving that i dont want to spend big $$$$, ie no more than $1000

Rex_Kelway has already suggested considering East/West orientation and just using a GZE or 20v gearbox.

Any suggestions??

Cheers,
Charlie

[Updated on: Tue, 20 April 2004 15:37]

Send a private message to this user    
Fruitloop
Regular

March 2004
Re: Transaxle options Tue, 20 April 2004 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much money do ya want to spend ?? The cheapest is Veedub.. the next preferred option is Renault (20,25,30)..
tafebum
Regular

December 2002
Re: Transaxle options Tue, 20 April 2004 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tafebum wrote on Wed, 21 April 2004 01:06

i dont want to spend big $$$$, ie no more than $1000

thats just on transaxle.
alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Transaxle options Tue, 20 April 2004 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about Alfa33 boxes?
Fruitloop
Regular

March 2004
Re: Transaxle options Wed, 21 April 2004 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Idon't know about the ALFA..never worked on 1. Price of Renault used to be "fair",and relativly easy to get adaptors.Few kit cars run them and they can absorb a heap of torque.Adaptors "used to be available through "dellows".The only thing that U have to get used to is "right hand change"
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Transaxle options Wed, 21 April 2004 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alfa is a a reasonable possibility, depends where you want to mount the engine though. The RWD Alfa's normally have the engine at the front, then the tailshaft, then the transaxle at the back, so you'd need to mount the engine in front of the transaxle that way. VW is another option if you want to mount the engine the other way, otherwise you need to start looking at expensive stuff, e.g. ZF. Oh, another possibility is early FWD Audi, they had a north/south engine but were still FWD, as was the Renault Fuego(!). Evil or Very Mad Think european...
tafebum
Regular

December 2002
Re: Transaxle options Wed, 21 April 2004 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Wed, 21 April 2004 21:03

The RWD Alfa's normally have the engine at the front, then the tailshaft, then the transaxle at the back, so you'd need to mount the engine in front of the transaxle that way.

Anyone got model numbers of the ones their thinking of?

Thats the way i want to mount it, where abouts whould someone prehaps find one of these alfo boxes (apart from the obvious, "in an alfa").

[Updated on: Wed, 21 April 2004 11:53]

alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Transaxle options Thu, 22 April 2004 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If u end up going with the alfa box I have one here, u can have it for $200 + P&H, also if your after any other alfa parts just ask
alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Transaxle options Thu, 22 April 2004 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You would be after any fwd alfa, the one i'm refering to is from a 33 model
kmwdesign777
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: Transaxle options Thu, 22 April 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your best choice is VW gearbox if you want north / south;

there are a heap of ratios for them through VW shops from the states or from Albins ( victoria I think )... also hollinger may-be.. although he is probably too busy.

The adapter probably has already been made for the off-road guys, try talking to Sherman Conversions in Qld.

regards, kevin
tafebum
Regular

December 2002
Re: Transaxle options Fri, 23 April 2004 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Your best choice is VW gearbox if you want north / south

Correct me if im wrong, but i was informed that to use a VW transaxle, i would have to have the gearbox infront of the engine, not behind it. Is this correct??
alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Transaxle options Sat, 24 April 2004 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats probably correct unless u want 5 gears of reverse?
tafebum
Regular

December 2002
Re: Transaxle options Sat, 24 April 2004 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers guys, plenty of food for thought.

I drew a life size template out in the driveway and have actually decided to take Rex_Kelway's advice and east/west mount it with a gze box. It reduces the wheel base significantly.
alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Transaxle options Sat, 24 April 2004 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wouldnt north/south give better weight distribution? the engine would be mid mounted then.
earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: Transaxle options Sun, 25 April 2004 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about a Toyota AL20?

I have got one here at the moment but unfortunately it is auto.

It looks like a corolla but the motor mounts North-South and the car is front wheel drive. The original motor is a 2A. I assume the 4AGE would bolt straight up.

This is the first car I have seen like this (in Toyotas), so I assume it is imported.
tafebum
Regular

December 2002
Re: Transaxle options Mon, 26 April 2004 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Weight distribution is something that im looking into at the moment.

Toyota AL20? Sounds hard to find.
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Transaxle options Mon, 26 April 2004 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
best 2 gearboxes:

alfa sud/33 (good ratios, inbord disks, compact etc)

renault fuago (or whatever the thing is) it's designated a ng3 & you can get ratios etc for it. it's smaller than the un1 (preferred v8 kitcar box)

toyota fwd lsd almolt bolts in.

both are easy to get & cheap. (cheap hewland type gearboxes!)

T
fangsport
Regular

January 2004
Re: Transaxle options Mon, 26 April 2004 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the AL20 is the Corrolla II/Carib and are quite popular over here as I have considered the same option, but was strongly advised against it as they wouldn't handle the horsies.
a local Hot-rod enhuasiast recommended the VW bus (not combi / beetle) transaxle as they can handle wicked HP and large volumes of torque and are also quite easy to source.
earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: Transaxle options Mon, 26 April 2004 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool. I wasnt too sure about the box, just knew that it would position the motor North-South.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Transaxle options Mon, 26 April 2004 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where abouts do you live? I can help you with a RWD Alfa box (Alfetta, GTV, etc.), but not the FWD one (Sprint, 33, Sud, etc.). Both are viable options, depending on where you want to mount the engine. Alfa 75 turbo box is RWD, can be had with LSD, is fairly strong, oh and did I mention it's damned expensive/hard to find?? Evil or Very Mad I guess chopping the arse end from an AW11 might be a sensible option for simplicity/cost... Shocked
TheGecko
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: Transaxle options Tue, 27 April 2004 09:51 Go to previous message
Charlie,

I'm currently building a mid-engined clubman type car using a Silvertop 4A-GE engine, box and suspension. See http://www.DIYSportsCar.com for the very beginnings of a build diary (I'm about to go into the garage and weld some more in the next 10 minutes). I'd suggest going transverse and using the Toyota box.

Pros: Easy to get, reliable, all the engineering is already done
Cons: Width and height may be problems, particularly if you want to use double wishbone rear suspension.

Attached is a photo of a complete Silvertop, box and suspension. The height to the top of the plenum is about 850mm, width from fan belts to end of gearbox is about 1000mm. Not light but that's mostly the engine. I can pick up the gearbox myself.

http://www.diysportscar.com/tmp_image/Engine_Box.jpg

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you need any more info.

Dominic
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:NOISY W58 GEARBOX HELP
Next Topic:AE86 gearbox's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:24:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0084888935089111 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.