Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
1j180
Occasional Poster

April 2004
1jz-gte 180sx conversion q's Mon, 26 April 2004 06:50 Go to next message
Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum. Currently I have a Rb25 180sx that I had built and which is currently for sale.
Anyway, a few months into the future I'm looking at another 180 conversion, this time a 1jz-gte (TT version) after seeing the light Smile
As far as I can tell this conversion is extremely rare. I believe Zoom (or HPI?) did a conversion like this but I can't find any info. Just curious if anyone had any info on the following,
Recommended crossmember?
Manual gearbox selection + any fitting issues?

Also considering using a PowerFC straight away (so is included in engineers cert).
I would budget a full Soarer half cut, pref manual for around $3000, does this price seem reasonable?
Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I'll let anyone know how it goes when the build starts.
Thanks

[Updated on: Mon, 26 April 2004 06:51]

Send a private message to this user    
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz-gte 180sx conversion q's Tue, 27 April 2004 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah it was a ZOOM article a guy up in Armadale, I think, did his own conversion 1JZ-GTE into a Silvia. If I come across the article, I will let you know which issue. Good luck with the conversion.

regards Chuck.
1j180
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: 1jz-gte 180sx conversion q's Tue, 27 April 2004 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you come across it that would be great! Thanks
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz-gte 180sx conversion q's Tue, 27 April 2004 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Firstly, you will be EXTREMELY lucky to find a manual soarer front cut at all!

You will need to tell us what sump configuration your 180sx has, and then you will need to choose a front cut with the same sump config. I can't remember which way they are but somebody will Smile the choices are jza70 supra (most common to find in manual AFAIK), jzx90, jzx81, jzx 100 chaser (VVT-I = expensive and i don't think power FC can run them)jzx110 chaser if you have A LOT OF MONEY, jzz30 soarer (just about all auto).

An auto front cut is about $2500 these days and a manual is closer to $4000. These engines are very heavy so it will make the car very nose heavy, I would think it would be similar weight to the rb25 though.

You don't happen to own the TTR 180sx from Noosa do you?

later
Chris
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz-gte 180sx conversion q's Tue, 27 April 2004 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZOOM edition No 53, and the car was done in "Dubbo"!!!

regards Chuck.
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 1jz-gte 180sx conversion q's Tue, 27 April 2004 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zoom No 53.

As far as fitment goes only a little pissing around with engine mounts and gearbox mounts were required, IE. a couple of adapter plates were made from 6mm plate.

It also says that "an early corona engine mount was utilized".

Standard engine and gearbox cross member was used.

Sorry if this seems clear as mud but they didn't go into much detail.......

Gabe
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz-gte 180sx conversion q's Tue, 27 April 2004 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what gbox did they use?
will the r154 fit the 180 tunnel?
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 1jz-gte 180sx conversion q's Tue, 27 April 2004 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toyota 4 speed auto Shocked .
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz-gte 180sx conversion q's Tue, 27 April 2004 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 1jz auto is actually really good, and yields excellent quarter mile times
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 1jz-gte 180sx conversion q's Tue, 27 April 2004 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 27 April 2004 20:34

the 1jz auto is actually really good, and yields excellent quarter mile times

True but I think I would still prefer a 5 speed........ Rolling Eyes

I guess it depends on what the car is built for.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz-gte 180sx conversion q's Tue, 27 April 2004 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true
but if you're sticking a 1jz into a 180, you're not exactly building it for tigh track work where the manual really comes into it's own Smile
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 1jz-gte 180sx conversion q's Tue, 27 April 2004 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i'll buy that but the 1jz silvia was only 20 kg heavier than a stock silvia, so track work isnt out of the question.

Besides if you were building a quarter mile car, there are better engines,like a 2jz or even a 1uz that would require the same work to fit.
1j180
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: 1jz-gte 180sx conversion q's Tue, 27 April 2004 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey thanks for all the input Smile

Chris - I would defintley insist on a manual. Manual opens up so many more dimensions to the driving 'experience'. In regard to the weight, I often get people saying "that thing must handle like sheit" but in reality the dry weight is only 1240kg. A stock SR 180 is around 1200 so the extra 3.3% weight is a good trade off. I'm in Canberra however I bought the car (inc the build) from Brisbane.

Chuck - Thanks for the issue no. I'll get onto getting a backissue asap!

Gabe - Early corona engine mount eh? Nothing short a little weilding wouldn't whip up!

draven - I hear what you are saying about the auto. I learned to drive on auto's before my first car. After that I dislike them. Manual gives control the auto will never like double clutching, better launching technique and greater control when initating a dorifto Smile as im sure you know. I would use the car for trackwork from time to time also. I'd get a coilover system with adjustable dampening to suit drag/track.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz-gte 180sx conversion q's Tue, 27 April 2004 14:28 Go to previous message
I cant talk myself - have a 1jz ma61 which I dont care about quarter for- I'm all about streetable power and handling.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Help Needed No.1 Camira Fuel Pump Regulator
Next Topic:MA61 Diameter (Ø) of Sway bar
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 01:41:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070350170135498 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.