Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tafebum
Regular

December 2002
Working out optimal track width Mon, 26 April 2004 12:36 Go to next message
How would one go about determining the optimal track width of a car that doesn't exist yet.

Let me explain. I'm currently trying to design a 'formular ford like' vehicle, although when I got to how wide the car should be I got a little stumped.

What things do i have to take into account or how do i calculate something like this.

Any help would be great, i havn't found anything on the internet that has explained this.
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Working out optimal track width Mon, 26 April 2004 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as far as i'm concerned, the wider the better.
it's kinda more about the ratio of wheelbase to track.

for a given track, longer wheelbase is more stable at speed, but shorter wheelbase is easier to turn (axis type turning, not steering).

i'd be looking to the track/wheelbase ratio of thign slike ferraris, formula ford, F1, that sort of thing... see what 'high performance' cars use, and then going from there...

for a given ratio, you will find that you are limited either by wheelbase or track, so maximise the restricted one, and then get the other close to the ratio needed.

Cya, Stewart
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Working out optimal track width Mon, 26 April 2004 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
apparently the ae86 has what is considered near perfect Wheelbase/Track ratio Wink

but thats apparently and i dont know what it is Wink
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Working out optimal track width Mon, 26 April 2004 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1.7 wheelbase-to-track will do you well.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Working out optimal track width Mon, 26 April 2004 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll second the 1.7 (or there abouts) ratio.
Look at the Diablo, lotus elan, and other super cars and notice they are wiiiddde on the road (I'd hate to have to park a Diablo down at the local Woolies)

I believe the sprinters have a perfect balance (ie 50/50 weight front to rear in the jap spec)

Balance should be taken into account as well as the roll centre (centre of gravity) if you're taking formula ford the roll centre will be low anyway.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Working out optimal track width Mon, 26 April 2004 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
use the golden ratio (1 to 1.618ish), it seems to work for everything else.

also, i would leave some adjustability in, so you can change the front/rear track to tune out handling issues, for example the AE86 rear track is a lot narrower than the front track, which tends to reduce understeer (i believe)

remember, as a rough guide, and as far as i know:

shortish wheelbase, widish track = nimble "flicky" handling

longish wheelbase, not so wide track = high speed stability and more predictable cornering.

if it is for a class series then i would assume there are limits that you will have to work within, but for a one off track racer, it is worth some consideration.

get some books on suspension design from a library or buy them, they will help you out a lot.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Working out optimal track width Tue, 27 April 2004 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Race and Ralley source book by Allan Staniforth (I think !) has a lot on this, he lists a heap of cars and what the track/base ratios are and discusses the pro's and con's of each. If your building a car then this book will be a good purchase
tafebum
Regular

December 2002
Re: Working out optimal track width Tue, 27 April 2004 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys, measurements so far with a 1:0.7 ratio are:
Wheelbase = 2340
Track Width = 1638

Now my next question, this ratio, is it for front or rear track. How much whould they differ keeping in mind its a track car.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Working out optimal track width Tue, 27 April 2004 03:06 Go to previous message
Thats Go-Kart terratory.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TD05
Next Topic:t50 gearbox problems
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:20:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0042722225189209 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.