Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
haydennz
Regular

June 2003
SmOkIn Mon, 26 April 2004 09:01 Go to next message
yeah, having probs with my 3tgteu, put a rb20det turbo on it running 5psi.. same performance as ct20 @ 8psi. very nice.

It starts blowing what would appear to be white/grey smoke, there is no smoke at idle, and no smoke up untill about 3500 in 1st and 2nd and 3rd, however in 5th i can plant it at 100k and come upto full boost for 10-20 seconds and see no smoke at all, its not as noticeable in day, but at night with headlights behind you its very noticeable and its quite a bit of smoke.

A compression test resulted in 145psi on every cyclinder, i just went outside with the torch and had someone rev it to 3500rpm for about 20-30secs, not a sign of smoke at all.. nothing nudda

the funny thing is it did it with the old turbo as well, but since there was so much oil in the intake i always thought it must have been the turbo, however its nowhere near as much now as it used to be with ct20.

WTF could it be? only other thing i can think of is overfuelling, but thats ment to be black!?
  Send a private message to this user    
haydennz
Regular

June 2003
Re: SmOkIn Mon, 26 April 2004 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and oil return or crankcase pressure is not a issue.

however with the crankcase venting to atomshere and currently having no rubber around the gearstick i can see a fine mist of smoke coming from the engine bay into the car on acceleration, im told this is normal tho.,
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: SmOkIn Mon, 26 April 2004 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what condition are plugs in? oiled up or petrol soaked?

is the PCV system plumbed up correctly - nope- you say it's vented to atmosphere? then that fine mist you see is probably blowby and crankcase fumes - you should really be feeding that back into the motor as designed - or at least via a oil catch can.

when you did compression test did you do a dry/wet test?
haydennz
Regular

June 2003
Re: SmOkIn Mon, 26 April 2004 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Mon, 26 April 2004 19:20

what condition are plugs in? oiled up or petrol soaked?

is the PCV system plumbed up correctly - nope- you say it's vented to atmosphere? then that fine mist you see is probably blowby and crankcase fumes - you should really be feeding that back into the motor as designed - or at least via a oil catch can.

when you did compression test did you do a dry/wet test?

you the fine mist is the blowby and crankcase fumes, im aware of that.

and accidently i spilled quite a bit(3-4 full teaspoons perhaps) into cyclinder one then i deceided i'd repeat the test, got 180psi...

but the first time i did it straight after a decent run and got like 145,143,146,145psi .. spark plugs are pitch black, but not wet..exhuast is crazy black also.

But i would think overfuelling would be far easier to see, as ive had a leaking bov beofre, and it did appear very black, ive actaully blocked up the bov just to test that its not that this time.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: SmOkIn Mon, 26 April 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you use the oil restrictor on the turbo....
haydennz
Regular

June 2003
Re: SmOkIn Mon, 26 April 2004 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes. 1mm...however im wondering if the restrictor flow is still governed by pressure, perhaps the 3tgte pressure is far too high?

or does the 1mm hole only flow a certin amount no matter what pressure?

[Updated on: Mon, 26 April 2004 13:06]

haydennz
Regular

June 2003
Re: SmOkIn Mon, 26 April 2004 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
retested compressions.

Dry (semi warm, last time with full warmed got 145-150 on each cyclinder)

150, 153, 150, 150 (apparently anything over 145 is absoulutly mint)

Wet (i think i used too much oil tho)

190, 210, 180, 175

how much oil are u supposed to pour down the bore or does it not matter? i poured in a cap fill off the oil container in each cyclinder and retested.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 April 2004 13:10]

M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: SmOkIn Mon, 26 April 2004 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If a dry test is ok, a wet test will be ok also.

Looks like its somthing else...
haydennz
Regular

June 2003
Re: SmOkIn Mon, 26 April 2004 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SUPPOSIDLY - in theory, if i do a try test and get 150psi, then pour in some oil and repeat it technically I should still get ~150psi if the rings are in good condition, correct?

altho i must admit that the wet test result did depend on how much oil was poured down the bore, in cyclinder 2 i put a wee bit like a teaspoon it only raised liked 10psim so then i just poured the a cap in and it rose to 210.. the other cylinders i just put in a cap full, and they are relitivly even.

Can anyone confirm? perhaps my rings are worn?

[Updated on: Mon, 26 April 2004 13:59]

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: SmOkIn Mon, 26 April 2004 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
significant increase (e.g. more that 10-15psi) when wet tested usually indicate leaking rings - or at least leaky combustion chamber.

but the fact that the intital dry readings were consistent (should be no more than 5psi dif between pots) and high throws theory A into some doubt.

are there any error codes from the ECU? this runs an 02 sensor? if so, is it OK?

Is the black coating carbon (e.g. pooly burnt petrol) or oily (stuffed rings/something)?

is timing OK?

do exhaust fumes have high petrol odour?

R u sure it's white not blue-white smoke?

Have you gone over engine and tightened/checked electrical and plumbing connections?
haydennz
Regular

June 2003
Re: SmOkIn Mon, 26 April 2004 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-3t doesnt have error codes, the oxygen sensor is not hooked up as it has a custom 2.5" downpipe/1" wastegate pipe and 3" exhuast with no cat, and single muffler at the rear.

-Oxygen sensor wont matter a pinch when I keep my foot planted upto 3.5k-4k then it starts smoken. as it will not be in closed loop mode.

-Last time timing was checked, it was stock timing.

-Hard to tell the color of the smoke, would deffinatly appear to be white.

-The blackness in the exhuast is carbon for sure. rich carbon, as when i run my finger across it, my fingers black and its not greasy at all. sorta like a fine sand ;p

-Deffinatly a odd smell from the exhuast, however i wouldnt know what burning oil from the exhuast smells like, i'd be inclinded to say the smell would be the richness tho.

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: SmOkIn Mon, 26 April 2004 20:16 Go to previous message
did it happen at all before you put the rb20bb turbo on there? if not then i'd suggest the seals in the replacement turbo might be on their way out...

from your comp test readings your engine seems fine. don't put too much oil down the bores or you may end up hydraulic lock and that can be quite harmful.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Gearbox oil (W50)?
Next Topic:HELP on Blitz Twin-SBC
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 31 13:09:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004025936126709 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.