Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Which manual box will fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Iceman
Regular

January 2003
icon5.gif  Which manual box will fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE? Mon, 26 April 2004 11:14 Go to next message
OK my gearbox is making the "SOUND OF DEATH" ..... the main bearing is going Sad

So i'll prob put in a new clutch aswell while i'm there....

The Question is WILL A 5SPEED TRANNY FROM ANY gt4 FIT INTO THE SV21 AND ONTO THE 3SFE??

Any idea's as to how much they cost and their avalability??

Oh and how much different are the ratios of the standard box to the GT4 box??

Cheers, Peter. Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 27 April 2004 02:27]

Send a private message to this user    
Iceman
Regular

January 2003
Re: Will the GT4 manual box fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE? Mon, 26 April 2004 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh and any suggestions as to which clutch to use??

I want a heavier one than stock but full-faced.(no brass-buttons)
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Will the GT4 manual box fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE? Mon, 26 April 2004 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i use a 5 puck heavy duty ceramic, have you thought about using 1.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Will the GT4 manual box fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE? Mon, 26 April 2004 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok since draza didn't answer this one.

Why would you want to put a GT4 gearbox on your camry?

a GT4 gearbox is a full time 4WD gearbox, it can be made to run FWD but not a viable option for a 3sfe camry, they are a massive gearbox and although the bellhousing will fit, the tranfser case most probably won't fit in the engine bay. it would cost way to much to fit (trust me I have one of these on my FWD celica and it is really not worth it, I only have it cause it can stand up to the 3sgte under my bonnet) gearboxes are pretty available $500 roughly, unless you can lock the viscious coupling yourself it will cost roughly $2000 and you have to find somewhere that will do it, then you need GT4 drivshafts cause they are shorter $XXX, then you have to customize your bottom crossmembers to fit the new width of the box $XXX, new engine mounts $120.

Not worth it, plus cause the box is bigger it sucks more power, and the 3sfe doesn't have enough to begin with.

If I was you I would just get another carmy gearbox from a wrecker or get yours rebuilt.

Draza is right about the clutch though
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Will the GT4 manual box fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE? Mon, 26 April 2004 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ST204 box? Rolling Eyes
3sfe
Regular

March 2004
Re: Will the GT4 manual box fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE? Mon, 26 April 2004 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The gt4 are a pain in the ass to install, if you haven't don't any serious mods just get a celica box from an import wreckers, or if you are after a tough box get the mr2 turbo box its pretty much the same a gt4 but with out the tranfer case.
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Will the GT4 manual box fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE? Tue, 27 April 2004 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought i would leave this 1 to u wiso. I knew the box would bolt up but i didn't know what was needed to be done to fit it in an SV21, ur the expert.
Iceman
Regular

January 2003
icon10.gif  Re: Will the GT4 manual box fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE? Tue, 27 April 2004 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx guys Very Happy

ok so i'll look for a celica box or have mine rebilt. I suppose they would be the same/very simmilar, as the clica is the same car with a different shell.(of the age)

Which one do you guys think is better? I want to get a higher ratioed box if i can as the stock SV21 5speed has REALLY REALLY low ratios. I can drive around in 5th at 45km/h. Surprised Shocked

I should bother puting in "red-line oil"?

Is the 5PUCK clutch real grabby? cauz i wanted a stronger and heavier clutch without the "ON OFF" affect, if u know what i mean...

Iceman
Regular

January 2003
Re: Will the GT4 manual box fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE? Tue, 27 April 2004 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i asked some ppl on the camry forum in the states and they suggested the tranny from a Celica GTS with the 3S-GE or the E153 tranny from V6 Camry/Solara.

Any thoughts?

i suppose i should ring TOYOTA and ask about the ratio differences... Crying or Very Sad
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Which manual box will fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE? Tue, 27 April 2004 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The ST204 has the 3S-GE
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Which manual box will fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE? Tue, 27 April 2004 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first cool1 the st204 has a 5sfe not a 3sge

Iceman the e153 tranny is and MR2 turbo box, so not worth the cost to do especially on the 3sfe, it would cost about as much as the GT4 box to do.

a V6 camry box is I think the e53, but the bell housing won't fit a 3s engine.

I am pretty sure the SV21 camry box is the same one that is used by both the ST184 and the ST204 celica with 5sfe. the code is I think the s54, there is also an s53 but that is the ST162 box, althought they have different ratios depending on which car it came from (celica or camry) but the ST204 and ST184 boxes are the same.

puc clutchs are always grabby, they aren't really meant for road use, Just stick with the ceramic clutch like Draza mentioned, I have a 3 puc brass button and it is fucking impossible to drive on the road, you can't reverse or go slowly. (which isn't that much of a bad thing). but yes it is ON or OFF, there is no inbetween, doesn't help with a lightweight flywheel.

I have used a 5 puc ceramic and they aren't to bad they do have the gradual effect, they are more of a street perfomance clutch

[Updated on: Tue, 27 April 2004 07:09]

mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Which manual box will fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE? Tue, 27 April 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey the manual gear box in my 3S-FE camry is a S-53 (factory) the st162 celicas had the same box as this some of the st162 celicas came out with 3S-FE but pretty sure others came out with 3S-GE's which should mean that the box of a 3S-GE should fit it i have been told that the 3S-GE box is also supposed to have better ratios as well to the 3S-Fe's box (i know what you mean about low ratios thoughs with the 3S-FE box) seems fair to get a 3S-GE box to me
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Which manual box will fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE? Tue, 27 April 2004 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not really cause the 3sge box in the ST162 is the same one you alrady have, they are very low ratio (at 110km/hr they are reving about 3500, thats shit), plus in the St162 these boxes have a nasty habbit of shitting the 2nd gear syncro, I think everybody with a 162 will vouch for that. definatly go either the St184 or St204 s54 box, they have longer ratios, good for higer reving but not as good for acceleration. Most St162 3sge's upgrade to this box as well
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Which manual box will fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE? Tue, 27 April 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about 4000rpm at 140 km/h is this good or bad? because thats what will say at thoese speeds, at 100km/h mine sits at 3 grand 3,500 at 120km/h are these speeds good or bad? I've offten wonderd about rpm speeds whats a good engine speed at 100km/h?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Which manual box will fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE? Tue, 27 April 2004 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Tue, 27 April 2004 17:03

The inport ST204 I bought had a 3S-GE. This was probably a mistake from the factory Rolling Eyes
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Which manual box will fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE? Tue, 27 April 2004 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Tue, 27 April 2004 09:57]

Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Which manual box will fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE? Tue, 27 April 2004 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi guys i've got a 3sge powered st162 with the standard s53 box.in 5th at 100kph it revs a 3100rpm.so the camry would rev less in 5th at 100kph right?isn't the only difference the 5th gear/final drive?

As for the s53 3sge box fitting onto the camry's 3sfe.it won't.besides the ratios of the two boxes the other diffence is the location of the starter motor.the 3sge s53 starter in underneath the exhaust manifold.the 3sfe has a diffent exhasut manifold so it most likely won't work.

i think the best upgrade is to go with the s54 st184 box or stick with the camry box. my .02c Smile
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Which manual box will fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE? Tue, 27 April 2004 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hard to say mate there 2 different motors the 3S-FE has a narrow twin cam head where as the 3S-GE has a sport twin cam head the 3S-FE is more econimical than the 3S-GE for obvious reasons but yeah me camry sits about 3 at 100km/h in 5th with the stock S53 box but i have been told that all 3S boxes will fit all 3S motors but the GT4 gearbox is proberly not the choice as wisso said after him saying about the gearboxes before probablly is better to go a ST184 or ST204 s54 box
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Which manual box will fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE? Tue, 27 April 2004 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter dont waste your money with a gt4 box, either get the box rebuilt or get a second hand box, remember that doctakay is running a rebuilt camry box with his st205 3sgte motor and isnt having any troubles.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Which manual box will fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE? Tue, 27 April 2004 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Tue, 27 April 2004 19:01

The inport ST204 I bought had a 3S-GE. This was probably a mistake from the factory Rolling Eyes

Sorry cool1 didn't realise you were talking about an import, yes I know some jap models did have the 3sge, but I thought you were talking about the aus model. Cool
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Which manual box will fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE? Tue, 27 April 2004 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Wed, 28 April 2004 00:57

Cool1 wrote on Tue, 27 April 2004 19:01

Sorry cool1 didn't realise you were talking about an import, yes I know some jap models did have the 3sge, but I thought you were talking about the aus model. Cool

I thought you might of thought that Smile
Iceman
Regular

January 2003
Re: Which manual box will fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE? Wed, 28 April 2004 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Ok well it looks like it's the s54 box or a rebuild. Rolling Eyes

Well the next question is which is cheaper?? Crying or Very Sad

As far as the clutches go, Are there any full-faced ceramic ones that are heavier/tuffer than the stock?? Question
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Which manual box will fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE? Wed, 28 April 2004 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Obviously used is cheaper, doctakay had his rebuilt last month so ask him howmuch he paid Smile.
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Which manual box will fit in the SV21 and on the 3SFE? Wed, 28 April 2004 09:40 Go to previous message
i was researching a while back about rebuilding my s53 box so it would be ready to take the power of the 3sgte (when it comes Very Happy ). i was gettin quotes from $700 up to $1300!much cheaper to buy a good used one. 3sfe s53's go for around $400 and about $550 for a s54 is what i was being told..
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ae71/ae86 5 speed
Next Topic:Custom Hubs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 23:04:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058529376983643 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.