Toymods » Tech & Conversions » HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
justinfox
Regular

September 2003
HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Wed, 28 April 2004 06:45 Go to next message
Hi all,

I have these banded lines on my windscreen, turns out that it's toughened glass. IE: ILLEGAL. If my glass breaks it doesn't just crack, it litterally will shatter all over my face and all over the car. They were banned in Australia in the late 70's so I have no idea how this glass made it to Australia.

So, the windscreen O'brien guys stock everything. In their books there was an AE86 Sprinter. They got the glass windscreen out and placed it over my old one and guess what?!

IT DOESN'T FIT!!!

My glass windscreen is 15mm taller than the replacement!!!

So what's the go with this then? How is it that the AE86 Levin GTV windscreen different to the Aus spec sprinter?

What can I do? Any help greatly appreciated.
  Send a private message to this user    
shindeokure
Regular

September 2003
Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Wed, 28 April 2004 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
take it to someone else who knows what they're doing..
unless your car has been rolled over and you have a very dodgey panel beater, i don't see how a japanese shell could be any different to the australian one.
justinfox
Regular

September 2003
Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Wed, 28 April 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well the thing is... I saw for myself that my Windscreen is 15mm taller than their windscreen! So what's the go there? This is too strange.

I just called around a few more windscreen places and they are all saying that they get their glass from Windscreen Obriens who have this piece which is too small for my car!

ARGH!
SLY16V
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Wed, 28 April 2004 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
uh oh i have ordered a new windscreen from o'briens glass and im supposed to be picking it up on friday...i dont have a windscreen at all atm, what do i do???

cheers
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Wed, 28 April 2004 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will be interesting to see if it turns up 15 to short then huh!
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Wed, 28 April 2004 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha funny

go to a wrecker ... u might be lucky to find a windscreen there Smiley =
bob m
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Wed, 28 April 2004 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This may not be a lot of help, since I'm in Canberra. But, if you're desperate ........

About 3 years ago I had my AE86 windscreen replaced by a guy who comes to your house to fit it. It fitted perfectly. The guy's name name is Kevin, and his phone number is 0419 214 722. His price was about half Windscreens O'Brien, and his workmanship is excellent.

Might be worth your while to drive to Canberra and meet him somewhere?
SoarerFury
Regular

April 2004

Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Wed, 28 April 2004 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like someone at the factorys fu*ked with measurement! HAHAHAHA!! Very Happy
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Wed, 28 April 2004 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex is pretty sure that to comply with ADR's a vehicle must be fitted with toughened safety glass.

one of the saftey aspects of such glass is that it is designed to shatter into pebble sized fragments, rather than break into large pointy shards.

Think about it for a second, or better yet get two old windows. One car window and one house pane. Smash them both and think which is more freindly if a bucket load of the fragments were thrown at you.

Windscreen's by ADR are also laminated, which means that while they will shatter, 99.9% of the glass will be held in place.

Rex too has thought about the prospect of having miniscule glass fragments find there way into his eyes during an accident. But for the most part its human nature to close ones eyes during such an impact. Still freaks him out though because if he were to lose his sight, he would rather die...

Rex
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Wed, 28 April 2004 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex_Kelway wrote on Wed, 28 April 2004 21:00

Rex is pretty sure that to comply with ADR's a vehicle must be fitted with toughened safety glass.

one of the saftey aspects of such glass is that it is designed to shatter into pebble sized fragments, rather than break into large pointy shards.

Think about it for a second, or better yet get two old windows. One car window and one house pane. Smash them both and think which is more freindly if a bucket load of the fragments were thrown at you.

Windscreen's by ADR are also laminated, which means that while they will shatter, 99.9% of the glass will be held in place.

Rex too has thought about the prospect of having miniscule glass fragments find there way into his eyes during an accident. But for the most part its human nature to close ones eyes during such an impact. Still freaks him out though because if he were to lose his sight, he would rather die...

Rex

why do you always speak in 3rd person rex? Smile it's funny but strange Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 28 April 2004 11:02]

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Wed, 28 April 2004 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can tell you exactly what it is.... its from an AE85 .. an early one .. for some reason the early AE85's had this screen I had similar problems with my first AE85 in NZ, being the first one in the country diddnt help as parts were still slow to come in then, I think from memory?? not positive but they may be similar to the NZ version of the Levin DX corolla which is an earlier model.... but if i remeber correctly the newer glass can be used with the newer locating pins at the bottom??? on the AE86 .. maybe get them to see if it will cover the whole area if you use the newer ones... you should be able to get the new plastic pins from toyota
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Wed, 28 April 2004 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is your car already registered or are you waiting for a blue slip? if its registered, just leave it. no cop is ever gonna say anything, and if they do, worry about it then. if its good enough for race cars its probably good enough for road cars.
cri_ag
Regular

August 2002
Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Wed, 28 April 2004 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so the glass that windscreen O'brien supplies is not going to fit without new plastic things at the bottom? (im just about to book the car in with them to put the new one in)

my old glass had a dark strip up top is this standard?
SoarerFury
Regular

April 2004

Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Wed, 28 April 2004 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah..just drive around with no windscreen! how fun.!!!!
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Wed, 28 April 2004 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Wed, 28 April 2004 21:11

is your car already registered or are you waiting for a blue slip? if its registered, just leave it. no cop is ever gonna say anything, and if they do, worry about it then. if its good enough for race cars its probably good enough for road cars.

in a crash he will be blinded !!
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Wed, 28 April 2004 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why? do you know if it is laminated? it most likely is.
SoarerFury
Regular

April 2004

Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Wed, 28 April 2004 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boom boom
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Wed, 28 April 2004 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Wed, 28 April 2004 19:16

go to a wrecker ... u might be lucky to find a windscreen there Smiley =

It will have to be out of the car and new pretty much. You basically break windscreens (unlike the other windows in a car) getting them out if they have been fitted properly.

Shocked
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Wed, 28 April 2004 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
having been driving when two 'toughened glass-non-laminated' windscreens smashed, i would not recommend it.
luckily both times i was wearing sunnies, and had my safety glasses in the glovebox Wink

and yes, you do tend to close your eyes.... just sucks when one second you can see the car ahead of you, and the next you can't!!

check carefully to see if it is laminated first. all laminated windscreens are toughened safety glass.
my KE15 (1969) has only toughened glass, so it can;t be replaced with toughened only, must be laminated (since glass ppl aren't allowed to supply non-lam anymore)

just be happy that there is somethign that vaguely fits... ever try to get a rear window for a KE15? Crying or Very Sad

Cya, Stewart
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Wed, 28 April 2004 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=28882&rid=964&S=f0f64fa0d25f4c658fbddc78 196d5145
justinfox
Regular

September 2003
Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Wed, 28 April 2004 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Found a company called "instant windscreens" who do not use windscreen obrien's glass. Will see if that fits.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Wed, 28 April 2004 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justin, this is truely fucking weird, i think you will need a custom fitted windscreen for your ae86, can any of these people do a custom fit windscreen? not pre-cut to spec ?
justinfox
Regular

September 2003
Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Wed, 28 April 2004 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the help guys. My windscreen is not laminated. So I have to replace it.

The guys at Windscreen Obriens said they would try to fit the sprinter windscreen to my car. Fiddle around with the rubber mounts and see if they can get it to hold in there alright. It's got a strip of aqua blue tinting at the top which is kinda ugly. I'm sure it won't look TOO bad.

But I am still hoping on this other company to come through with the good. Instant Windscreens. I will let everyone know how it goes.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Thu, 29 April 2004 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm 15mm will be a lot to make up for with mouldings, just make sure its done proper. let us know how you go.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Thu, 29 April 2004 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
15mm does sound like too much to me! I might have to buy a windscreen now in case I break one in the future.... Razz
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Thu, 29 April 2004 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Instant windows did one on my blue AE86, free of charge thanks to my insurance company, they also came out and did it in my drive way and took no longer then 45 mins, They bought out the glass with them and it fitted perfectlly, they left a BETTER then factory finish too, was pretty impressed.

wasnt allowed to drive the car for 24 hours, flex is bad for the silastic glue Razz
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: HELP PLEASE! AE86 windscreen problem Fri, 30 April 2004 07:04 Go to previous message
if it helps i just cleaned some of my garage and found two sets of the aus spec window mounts Smile gimme a call on 0438 817 333 if you want them
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 Parts
Next Topic:ae86 info.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 14:06:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066168308258057 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.