Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 20V Sprinter engineering and blue slip

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
20V Sprinter engineering and blue slip Thu, 29 April 2004 08:45 Go to next message
As per the subject, I'm gonna need both of these soon. Are there any particular things that are gonna be checked? Are they gonna do emissions and db tests? The interior is stripped out with just a pair of Sparco fibreglass buckets and a roll-cage (by then). Are they gonna see this and say "You're jokin' aren't ya?" (for the Blue Slip I mean).
What in particular needs to be done with this conversion to ensure it passes?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  Send a private message to this user    
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20V Sprinter engineering and blue slip Thu, 29 April 2004 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex believes they more than likely will say - "You're jokin' aren't ya?"

By far the best way is to just contact them and ask what needs to be done and what is allowable and under what conditions.

In SA one simply fills out an application to modify form from Transport SA stating what one wishes to do to the vehicle. Then they look it over and provide a list of EXACTLY what is required to obtain compliance in terms of engineering reports, tests and conditions.

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20V Sprinter engineering and blue slip Thu, 29 April 2004 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok. Can you pass on my thanks to rex please? Rolling Eyes

Anyone in NSW got the 411?
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 20V Sprinter engineering and blue slip Thu, 29 April 2004 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex_Kelway wrote on Thu, 29 April 2004 18:56

In SA one simply fills out an application to modify form from Transport SA stating what one wishes to do to the vehicle. Then they look it over and provide a list of EXACTLY what is required to obtain compliance in terms of engineering reports, tests and conditions.

that my dear friend rex, is handy to know
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 20V Sprinter engineering and blue slip Thu, 29 April 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in NSW, stripped out cars are looked upon with anything between mild distaste, to complete abhorrence.

they ask "why is the interior removed?"
and you say?????

there can be no exposed edges, the rollcage must meet requirements for headroom, and, generally, the interior MUST be intact.

older cars get more leeway as they have virtually no interior to start with Wink

so why is the interior stripped out apart from the full sik look?

oh, and are the Sparcos ADR approved?

are you usign 3 point lap sash or harness? and before you say harness, they are not ADR approved either Razz, MUST be 3 point lap sash.

for emissions, you need to be able to prove either the engine is from a NEWER vehicle that DOES pass emissions, or it needs to be emissiosn tested.

since the 20V was never released here, technicall that presents a problem, but since many others have gotten them past, there is prolly something on file.

db? definitely. either that or the first cop that pulls you over for havign no interior will....

anyhoo, a few things to think about..

oh, and go talk to an engineer first, go talk to RTA inspection station first...
Cya, Stewart
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20V Sprinter engineering and blue slip Thu, 29 April 2004 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that Stewart. I'll definately be visiting an engineer and inspector first.

Hahahaha - The interior is not stripped out for aesthetics mate! It's how I got the car, and would preferably not have to buy interior bits just to get it passed (may have to borrow off a mate for a day!). Anyway, what's the point of having all that interior crap for a car that's not meant to look nice, but get a fair thrashing on occasion. It's not a daily driver so it doesn't bother me. It still has the basics - Centre console, door trims, roof lining and a few bits of plastic trim, so I guess it's not competely 'stripped out'..... Just missing the main things that make an interior look decent - Rear seats, parcel shelf and carpet.

Perhaps if a just line the floor with carpet and make it look neat in general they may be more enthusiastic. From what i understand, there should not be a backseat with fixed buckets in a 2 door car anyway.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 20V Sprinter engineering and blue slip Thu, 29 April 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL Laughing
fair enough...
Quote:

It still has the basics - Centre console, door trims, roof lining and a few bits of plastic trim, so I guess it's not competely 'stripped out'.....

that's not what i was envisaging when you said stripped Wink. to me thats no door trim, no centre console.. possibly part of the dash etc etc..

i actually was made to put in a roof lining once for a pink slip!

carpet? spray the floor black and see what they say.. maybe get a couple of mats or some carpet cutoffs to look half ok..

if you have fixed seats, get the engineer to put "no back seat" on the report, "for safety reasons" it might be interesting as to how that conflicts with ADR's tho... but usualyl that just refers to having seat belts for all seating positions.

parcel shelf???? 3mm MDF, sprayed matte black (to reduce reflection) easy.

you should be fine Very Happy

Cya, Stewart

ps, so are the seats ADR compliant?

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20V Sprinter engineering and blue slip Thu, 29 April 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think I'll take it to the Blue slip guy with the floor as it is now and see what he says.

Roof lining for a pink slip?! Jesus man, my guy usually doesn't even LOOK at the car!

Ummmm.... So it will DEFINATELY need a parcel shelf of some sort? I have access to one so this shouldn't be a problem.

I wish I had the seats here so I could check, but they're at my folks place with the car. Pulling out the 4AC tomoz so I'll check then. I hope they are! They're FIA approved at least!!! hehehe

Thanks mate.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 20V Sprinter engineering and blue slip Thu, 29 April 2004 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been advised to remove rear seatbelts for compliancing, as i dont have rear seats either (removed for cage). I have also been advised to construct a little wall where the back seats would be and a similar piece for a parcel shelf.
Im intending to make it out of 1mm mdf, and then braced by a couple of pieces of aluminum. Im probably just going to cover it with some thin cotton material, as this is relatively easy.
Im probably going to keep carpet for compliance issues too.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20V Sprinter engineering and blue slip Thu, 29 April 2004 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, just spoke to Paul from Revolution and he reckons if they are FIA approved, there should be no problem with ADR's.... Let's hope he's right!
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: 20V Sprinter engineering and blue slip Fri, 30 April 2004 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not getting my 20v engineered...

just a blue slip with change of engine numbers...

guy at work did his and he had no problems he put a 4age 100kw into a mid 80s rwd rolla

the engine numbers start out the same 4a.... so y not
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 20V Sprinter engineering and blue slip Fri, 30 April 2004 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
y not?

cos if you have an accident and hurt someone, the green slip insurance company will tie you down and work you over with a hot poker!!!!!

as i said before, 20V was never Aus delivered.. thus it is not Aus complianced and you are up shit creek as for as legality goes..

unless you can prove you put the 20V head on a 4AC block?

Cya, Stewart
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 20V Sprinter engineering and blue slip Fri, 30 April 2004 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im still confused as to the legalities of a GE in a sprinter. A 100kw smallport. Heard both that i need it complianced and that i dont.

Ill be compliancing to make sure, especially as i plan to use this for CAMS events.
psychofox
Regular

April 2004
Re: 20V Sprinter engineering and blue slip Fri, 30 April 2004 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't see why you need to get ANY 4A motor (GE, GZE, 20V, custom turbo) engineered for a AE86 or AW11, AE82/92/101, etc. that came with a 4A motor from the factory. If you aren't changing the capacity then all you need to do is get the engine number changed. There is no 'engineering' work taking place, like different engine mounts or chassis modifications. Just my 2c worth.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20V Sprinter engineering and blue slip Fri, 30 April 2004 10:55 Go to previous message
Yeah, that's what I thought too, psychofox, and I've heard about 5 million different opinions about whether or not it should be engineered.

On a different note, but still regarding rego and blue slips, I went to get my troopy rego renewed today, and it apparently now needs a heavy vehicle inspection as it's classified as a bus! So I went to a blue slip dude to get the vehicle classification changed to panel van or station wagon and was told I need an engineers certificate!!!! For what?! Removal of rear seats!? What a joke. Well, anyway, found a dude who will give me a blue slip for the troopy AND the Sprinter.... No matter what they look like! I guess he doesn't value his licence much.

Anyway, back to the issue at hand - Why, if there is no change in capacity, does it need engineering????
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Power window conversion - ST162 Celica
Next Topic:general aus sprinter views?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 08:01:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.018577098846436 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.