Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4AGTE wants/needs & price list

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
45aken
Regular

February 2004
icon1.gif  4AGTE wants/needs & price list Sun, 02 May 2004 11:33 Go to next message
hello i am currently gathering parts for a turbo conversion on a blue top 4age.

im just wondering what needs to be changed from 4ac spec to 4agte spec. im looking to run low (6-10 psi) boost.

eg fuel lines, internals etc etc

also what prices are common for;
RWD turbo manifold
rwd inlet man.
supra intercooler (the bigger one)
4agze pistons (and other internals)

thanks for any help
  Send a private message to this user    
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: 4AGTE wants/needs & price list Sun, 02 May 2004 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a ZE man

easier to work from to go to a turbo conversion
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4AGTE wants/needs & price list Sun, 02 May 2004 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agree, a ZE would be a good idea, but, if you want to stick with LOW boost (7psi max) intercooled and you *should* be ok.

remember oil lines, water lines, dump pipe, exhaust, oil return line to sump (you have to modify sump for drain) and intercooler piping.

typcially ;
rwd turbo manifold : depends, on if you get custom or off the shelf most prices $400 plus...
rwd inlet manifold big port $150 plus
supra intercooler $250 plus
4agze pistons won't go in a blue top 4age with 40mm mains, so forget that idea. you need a red top OR specifically a 7 rib block with 42mm mains for that idea to work, but, i think the pistons can be had for under $400 a set do a search on here the good dude at castle hill toyota had prices on these.
and also you'll need new rings as well, and while you're at it new bearings would be a good idea too....and depending on the condition of the innards of you block consider a hone too maybe?
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: 4AGTE wants/needs & price list Sun, 02 May 2004 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont some new zealanders run quite a bit of boost in their blue top based 4agte's?

[Updated on: Sun, 02 May 2004 15:17]

pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: 4AGTE wants/needs & price list Sun, 02 May 2004 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trouble is once you get a taste of boost youll want more.May as well set yourself up from the start.I turboed a na motor had 12psi running through it. but I finally blew it. gze is the way to go.
ILUSZN
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4AGTE wants/needs & price list Sun, 02 May 2004 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Start with the stronger engine.. As NA cars are just that. NA. Not designed for force induction. So get the GZE, means you get strong rods in there to. Bolt on RWD manifold. Get a Cast manifold for turbo about $450 or so or get one made to suit X turbo/s. You would probably be better off finding a second hand VR4 or EVO I -> III cooler (Better flow) Pipe it up. Get a computer, fuel pump. That should do you for first out.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 4AGTE wants/needs & price list Mon, 03 May 2004 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

4agze pistons won't go in a blue top 4age with 40mm mains, so forget that idea. you need a red top OR specifically a 7 rib block with 42mm mains for that idea to work

Sorry, I'm not quite catching on here, I'm thinking of getting an MR2 and doing a turbo conversion on that so I'm interested as to why they don't fit - Not sure what 'mains' are...
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4AGTE wants/needs & price list Mon, 03 May 2004 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you have an MR2 motor you'll be fine - all 7 rib from what i gather (no oil squirters like the 100kw though)

42mm is the OD the crank that the conrod connects to which holds the piston. the 3 ribs were 40mm the 7 rib are 42mm.
45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: 4AGTE wants/needs & price list Mon, 03 May 2004 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i knowgetting the GZE is a better option (i have researched this quite a bit) but my funds do not cater for a gze at the moment, especially when i have beenquoted $3500 by SSS automotive.
i have heard that low boost is safe on the blue top engines, and since have acess to one ill take it!

will i need a new radiator? i will defenately need fuel lines/pumps and surge tanks wont i?

i hope to use a MTX-8 ecu.

would i be a better idea to get the engine in and working stock or put it all on the engine then drop it in???

will 3" exhaust be overkill? 2.5 mandrel?

and other way to lower the compression on the blue top? thinker head gaskets???

thanks
ILUSZN
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4AGTE wants/needs & price list Mon, 03 May 2004 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In all seriousness. You can drop it in as it is turbo'd.. But if i were in your position i would save my cookies and clams and do it right.. if you go half assed now you will end up spending more and more and more and then you will have spent alot more then what it would have cost for a GZE. You can get a GZE from a MR2 which will be fine. Wouldnt need a rebuild either as they are pretty strong as they are. Slap what you want on it. 10psi and it will last alot longer then the NA turbo.

The quote you had was that ENGINE ONLY?? or conversion?? Im sure you could find a GZE cheaper then that.. Like $2k cheaper. hehehe Just a thought.. IF your not going to be happy with a full comp motor turbo and with very little leway for more power.. DONT DO IT!!!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 4AGTE wants/needs & price list Mon, 03 May 2004 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
42mm = the big end journal diameter right? 7 rib = ???

Sorry, me stoopid with bottom end, only know the head well Smile
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 4AGTE wants/needs & price list Mon, 03 May 2004 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want a thicker head gasket, you could try a copper one, you can get them custom made up to 2.0mm or something like that...however, there are related expenses to doing that.

I'm not sure how thick a laminated steel mhg is so I don't know if that would be an option. Given that the engine is/will be turbo charged, don't fractionally lower the compression by squashing two or three gaskets together like a dodgy bum, it will blow faster than a (insert crude joke).

2.0mm copper gasket may lower the compression by .1 or .2 or so if you are really lucky you may get a PSI more boost Smile It's not really worth it. However a copper or metal head gasket is a worthwhile investment anyway.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4AGTE wants/needs & price list Mon, 03 May 2004 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy...yes. 42mm = 7 rib
40mm = 3 rib

sorry i didn't explain it very well Embarassed
45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: 4AGTE wants/needs & price list Mon, 03 May 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its just that i can get a blue top for like $50 off a mate, and i have a turbo and some other stuff lying around and want a project like this.
dont really want to spend alot of money, just enough for reliable fun.
im talking LOW boost here (now in the range of 5-10psi) which would be rarely at 10.

anyone here running an internally stock blue top on boost???

Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 4AGTE wants/needs & price list Mon, 03 May 2004 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I definitely agree with the general opinion that you should go with the ZE to start with.

Around 2k for a halfcut or 1k engine only with cut loom should be a ROUGH guide for price from importers. Sit down and really do the add ups for what it will cost you for the ENTIRE PROJECT doing it bluetop vs doing it ZE and it may come out closer than you imagined.

But the ZE is definitely a far better engine to turbo. And the stock computer can cope running a turbo.

Hen
45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: 4AGTE wants/needs & price list Mon, 03 May 2004 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but the thing is i can get a good, really really cheap bluetop.
i dont have the money for a gze right now, ten later whe i do, will just put the Ze bottom end in with the bluetop head. (pretty sure that works)
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4AGTE wants/needs & price list Mon, 03 May 2004 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
problem is your really cheap $50 blue top might cost you $50 now, but end up costing you big dollars when it goes bang.

something else worth knowing - in the 7 rib the 42mm big ends on the GZE/100kw/20v rods also have 20mm little ends. the 3 rib have the 40mm big ends and 18mm little ends.

[Updated on: Mon, 03 May 2004 20:23]

fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4AGTE wants/needs & price list Mon, 03 May 2004 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

but my funds do not cater for a gze at the moment, especially when i have beenquoted $3500 by SSS automotive.

I got a AW11 half cut off them for $3000??? And there was stuff done to my motor as well. Their ripping you off!!!!

I think everyone will back me when i say....Save the money and do it right the first time!! You will have the shits BIG time when you spend the money to do your conversion and find that it wouldnt have been too much more to buy an engine that has a lot more potential.

"Dont spend money twice"

My 2 cents........

[Updated on: Mon, 03 May 2004 20:49]

NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 4AGTE wants/needs & price list Tue, 04 May 2004 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agree with what everyone has said...get the ze and go from there...you can keep the ge as a spare or something

but if thats what really floats your boat and you want tips speak to Dale (10secRx7) he's done one to a blue top before
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 4AGTE wants/needs & price list Tue, 04 May 2004 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Although it would be nice to grab a gze and go from there, a blue top with 7 or 8 psi will still go bloody hard and if it can be done for less than a grand that is a bargain. Maybe it won't last ten years, but by then anyone would have enough money for a whole new engine anyway.

If you can grab a blue top for $50 and already have a suitable turbocharger then go for it...

If anyone can help this guy out with what parts he would need then do so, but he clearly already knows a GZE is a better option so don't re-iterate...if he makes a mistake and it doesn't work out, then it's a mistake, I'm sure he'll learn from it and so will we.
45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: 4AGTE wants/needs & price list Tue, 04 May 2004 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy --->precisely & thankyou!
im not looking for something to last 10, or even 5 years.
i'll be happy with 2 at the most.

all my lief i've been wanting hands on work to a car (the with the WRX you can really do much, cuz if you screw it up = $$$) i just have enough stuff that costs the bulk of the turbing sitting in a box, gathering dust. so i came up with the idea of the bluetop GTE.

i am well aware of the GZE as a better option, it's just that im strapped for cash at this present point.

if it all goes BANG 6 months down the road then ill just get a 100kw or another blue top.

another thing, the jap spec RWD blue top is 97kw. and from my knowledge it creates this power from just the computer. does this mean i can either;

A)get a rwd loom and computer and my stock 86kw will have 97kw
B)get just the rwd cpu, hook it up to my stock bluetop loom and get 97kw (will the aus spec blue top loom got directly into the jap one, or will it need modification?)

where and how much can i get RWD looms from? this might even cost less money and time than getting an auto elec. to hook it up. (my mate is an auto elec, so im getting it for basically nothing, but im more worried about time or the lack of it i have)

ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: 4AGTE wants/needs & price list Tue, 04 May 2004 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u'd need the better fuel that the japs get too.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 4AGTE wants/needs & price list Tue, 04 May 2004 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They might be running higher compression too...anyone confirm that? Plus there's the chance that it may have different emissions gear (jap-spec)?
45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: 4AGTE wants/needs & price list Tue, 04 May 2004 16:15 Go to previous message
i could always just put in the hi-octane (optimax etc etc) then use octane booster for the fuel problem.

the jap cpu couldn't handle a turbo anyways, but i was just wondering.

thanks for all your help.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:A few MkIII questions. or a better title "what the hell are these for?"
Next Topic:Toyota info sites??? Read for explaination..
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 13:23:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006547212600708 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.