Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Confused: Trueno, Levin, Sprinter...?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RiGo
Regular

July 2002
Confused: Trueno, Levin, Sprinter...? Sat, 01 May 2004 02:18 Go to next message
Do all these cars fall under the AE86 chassis?

Is a Trueno a Sprinter? What's the difference between them all? Who can share their knowledge with me? Smile

Any links where I can find all this out?

Cheers!
  Send a private message to this user    
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Confused: Trueno, Levin, Sprinter...? Sat, 01 May 2004 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aus delivered ae86 - sprinter
jdm ae86 non popup lights - corolla levin
jdm ae86 popup lights - sprinter trueno

jdm ae86 have 4age instead of 4ac, they have better suspension and more "bling" interior...jdm versions also have t series rear end (ie: discs & lsd)

theres so many threads on this its not funny...use the search function and try different combos eg: levin vs trueno etc etc and you'll find all you need
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Confused: Trueno, Levin, Sprinter...? Sat, 01 May 2004 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

there were levin and trueno ae85s
and the were levin truenos and aussie sprinters on the ae86 chassis

just do a search eg google
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Confused: Trueno, Levin, Sprinter...? Sat, 01 May 2004 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anything with popup lights is hachiroku and superior.
Anything with fixed lights is hachigo and infereior. Rolling Eyes
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: Confused: Trueno, Levin, Sprinter...? Sat, 01 May 2004 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shcao wrote on Sat, 01 May 2004 14:50

uh...i dont think so.... Mad

some people Razz
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: Confused: Trueno, Levin, Sprinter...? Sat, 01 May 2004 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86's came out in Levin and Trueno.

As did AE85's.

body shape has nothing to do with Toyota's model code NUMBERING system.

A = 'A' series engine, ie 2A-C, 3A-C, 4A-C/FE/GE/GZE, 5A-FE/6A-FE, 7A-FE.

E = Corolla

85 = 3A-c engine was fitted
86 = 4A-c/GE engine was fitted
88 = LHD(US Spec)

Re: differences in jap vs aus ae86 Sat, 13 December 2003 21:25

Before we start, let's get some special words out in the open...

Levin - fixed headlight model
Trueno - pop-up headlight model

Zenki - early term..83-85
Kouki - latter term..85-87

ok...here goes...

apart from the obvious difference that Jap one's were also released as a Trueno, ie. pop-up headlights, there were some differences in body accessories.

first of all, lets start at the back..

tail lights on the aus-spec (Levin style) were "sprinter" tail lights.

tail lights on the Japanese Zenki Levin were "full face" tail lights.(same as USDM, which incidently, were Trueno style.)
tail lights on the Japanese Kouki Levin were "whiteline" tail lights.
tail lights on the Japanese Zenki Trueno were "sprinter" tail lights.
tail lights on the Japanese Kouki Trueno were "redline" tail lights.

Zenki cars had 2 number plate lights, and a center garnish, which were seperate.
Kouki cars had 2 number plate lights, which were a part of the center garnish.

Australian rear bumpers hold the number plate lights. Japanese number plate lights were either side of the number plate.

Then there was the coupe option. If anybody calls it a "sedan"... It's a coupe.
the australian style is a came in Hatchback only. there was an option of coupe or hatchback in Japan. If it has a bootlid, and 2 doors, it's a coupe.

Japanese doors are lighter, as they dont have side intrusion beams. Australian Design Rules changed in 1979 when a motorcyclist went through a Mercedes. Since then all cars in Australia have to have side intrusion beams. difference of around 5kg per door.

now to the front...

the Australian Sprinter has the same front bumper as the Zenki Levin.

the Kouki Levin has indicators in the front bar which come slightly around the sides. not much...just slightly. and it's all orange.

the Zenki Trueno has indicators in the front bar similar to the Australian Sprinter, but is a different shape. it has a slight lip at the bottom, which is bigger than the tiny lump on the Australian front bar.

The Kouki Trueno has indicators in the front bar which are similar to the Australian Sprinter, BUT...they are larger, and half of it is for the front parkers. they also have cornering lights, so when you turn on the left indicator with your headlights on, a spotlight shines sort of "around the corner", to light it up a bit. similar to that of an EF/EL Ford Fairlane. it also has a raised section at the top to accommodate for a smaller grille.

then there are a million interior differences depending on the model/spec, whether it be Levin/Trueno, Kouki/Zenki, GT/SR/GTV/GT APEX....

couldn't be bothered....

In Japan, the Trueno is called a Sprinter Trueno.

The Levin's weren't actually called a Sprinter.

They were a Corolla Levin.

now that i've had a ramble, and have spent the last half an hour typing this, i realise there may be some discrepancies in some of this, but it should give a rough idea...

[Updated on: Sat, 01 May 2004 08:42]

shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Confused: Trueno, Levin, Sprinter...? Sat, 01 May 2004 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve-AE86 wrote on Sat, 01 May 2004 18:18

shcao wrote on Sat, 01 May 2004 14:50

uh...i dont think so.... Mad

some people Razz

notice the Rolling Eyes

I'm just trying to pull the piss out of some newbies.

rock on.
Matt-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

October 2003

Re: Confused: Trueno, Levin, Sprinter...? Sat, 01 May 2004 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aus spec taillights are actually trueno taillights. if have seen a kouki that has the badges, sprinter trueno and had the sprinter taillights.

If thats wrong, correct me please.
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Confused: Trueno, Levin, Sprinter...? Sat, 01 May 2004 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's true...

Ironicialy the US delivered ae86 had zenki and kouki levin tail lights even though they had a trueno front..

Pretty fuked how they called the aussie ae86.
'sprinter' even though it is a levin.
and they call the american model
'2door corolla gts' or 'corolla rwd' even though it is a trueno.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Confused: Trueno, Levin, Sprinter...? Sun, 02 May 2004 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fucking sticky THIS thread

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=28856&rid=964&S=f0f64fa0d25f4c658fbddc78 196d5145

copied here:

All the information here-in is based on the Japanese Domestic Market

1. AE86 came in 2 models types:
> Corolla Levin (Fixed Head Lights) (also known as 'Toyota Sprinter in Australia)
> Sprinter Trueno (Popup Head Lights)

2. now each of these 2 model types came in either:
> coupe (2 doors with a 'boot'. usually called a '2-Door')
> hatchback (2 doors with a lift hatch. usually called a '3-Door')

3. now each model and model type has 3 major model grades. these 3 grades came with 'Lasre' 4A-GE as the standard engine.

> SR - lowest base model, usually with crapy seats and interior trim (same as the ADM 'Toyota Sprinter' Interior). Suspension and differential are lower grade with no LSD as standard. Drum Brake Rear end. Pretty boring model, not as many sold.

> GTV - sports model with weighty items shaved off. comes with the same grade "Lasre Pegasus" suspension, diff and interior trim parts as the GT Apex grade without the 'luxury' components. Bodykit (mentioned below) is also an option as well as Power steering, sunroof and Aircon. All disc brakes as standard, front discs are vented (not slotted or drilled.. VENTED)

> GTAPEX - luxury model with the most options. Comes with everything the GTV does but with lots of optons such as : Power windows, power steering, cruise control, sunroof, power mirrors, climate control, (Aircon is standard), digital gauge cluster, better pioneer stereo, body kit (front lip, sideskits + rear spoiler 'lip')

(there are a few others such as GT, SE, XL and XL Lisse i wont menion these as they are sub grades usually with a 3A-C engine )

4. AE86's were manufactured from early 1983 to mid 1985 and from late 1985 to late 1987 (AE86's were only sold in australia between 1983 to 1985 Under the name 'Toyota Sprinter')

each of these two periods have names:

> cars manufactured between 1983 - mid 1985 are called "Zenki" loosely meaning "first" in japanese

> cars manufactured between late 1985 - 1987 are called "Kouki" loosely meaning "after or 'second'" in japanese

there were many changes in the exterior and interior apprearance (notably the front bars and lights and the rear taillghts) and some in the changes of the differential (larger, stronger axle splines for the 'kouki') and engine specs between "Zenki" and "Kouki" but very minimal changes overall.

Some Information on thse changes badly translated from (http://www.fzr.jp/nii/garage/car/ae86data/)
Quote:

May of 58 - January of 59
AE86-0000001 - 0044198
AE86-5000001 - 5031663

Generally 58 year system and 1 type, it is the type which is called the super previous term.
By your are this type. (With, almost there is no trace of 58 year type, but...)

There is no setting of the sport package.
Super the color which such as blue metallic becomes minor is set afterwards.
Rearview mirror spring return system.
The rear wiper when stopping has been side. As for GTV, with clock and set option. As for the rear window ぅ heat wave and the set option which have been written in the certain book lack of confirmation.
Single horn. (There is no either wiring for double and, there is no either mounting hole of suicide seat side)
By the way, horn of the previous term (only after the January of 59 of radiator light/write and radiator left of light/write rear) is attached to position.
As for レビン, only GT-APEX having become the grille of the working air intake, as for the other things the lateral stripe (? ) It has become grille form.
The windshield has become the tempered glass.
The high metal two ton of GT-APEX (silver black) the glass has stopped being the bronze glass (the red っ ぼ) with with the body curler other than.
Interior, are three types of red, blue and brown the body color, depending upon the grade.
As for setting color, as follows (only the color which verifies)
White 038 (GTV and GT)
Lead-lead 3D7 (GTV and GT)
Silver metallic 147 (GTV and GT)
High-tech two ton 2N2 (black and white, GT-APEX and GT)
High flash two ton 2M9 (it is dark red, GT-APEX and GT)
High metal two ton 2M8 (silver black, GT-APEX and GT)
Blue metallic 8A9 seems 85 private colors.... (Lack of confirmation)

February of 59 - May of 60
AE86-0044199 - 0160183
AE86-5031664 - 5061954

Generally 59 year system and 2 types, it is the type which is called the previous term. Improvement of the place where (disrepute) there is an inconvenience mainly with 58 year system and correction and the addition with legal amendment it is main. Don't you think? it is the person, generally known small improvement.
Setting of the sport package adds. (The front spoiler, the ria jauntily Ra and the leather volume steering wheel, the leather volume shifter)
Rearview mirror yes falling down system of crane crane.
The rear wiper when stopping has been length.
It has become double horn.

May of 60 - October of 60
AE86-0160184 - 0195584
AE86-5061955 - 5066625

Generally 60 year system and 2.5 types, latter-term previous term (? ) With it is said, it seems. It is generally known minor change.
The bumper, modification to the form where lovely the front spoiler which seems is attached. As for トレノ, around turn signal cornering lamp (only GT-APEX) for installing, enlargement.
Form modification of grille. トレノ it meaning that the bumper center rises became small. レビン to be designed standardized, only GT-APEX the fog internal organs.
The light/write, only yellow valve conversion and レビン modifies to the shape where the black line is attached to the top and bottom. Only GT-APEX cornering lamp standard equipment.
The rear bumper, the plural side lines entering, is corrected to shape, in order the mudguard to be able to make a little the arch part of the rear tire, form is modified.
As for the tail lamp, way vertical width is felt thinly, modification of design. Modification to the shape where the vicinity of number is surrounded with the plastic.
Interior, was modified to all black systems.
The rearview mirror modifies to surface roughly type.
4th gear AT were added to GT and GT-APEX.
The power window option was set to GT-APEX.
デジパネ of 3 doors GT-APEX became option setting.
The rear wiper of GTV standard equipment.
Installation position of horn moves to radiator upper.
The windshield, modification to glass laminate.
The bronze glass only of GT-APEX became black seductive.
The front spoiler was gone from the sport package, side mad guard was added.
Also wiring is modified various types.
Setting color is, as follows
White 041 (GTV and GT)
Lead-lead 3E6 (GTV and GT)
Medium grey metallic 159 (GTV and GT)
Silver & metallic 148 (GTV and GT)
High-tech two ton 2T7 (black and white and all grades)
High flash two ton 2T6 (it is dark red, all grades)
High sonic toning 2X1 (black silver, all grades)

October of 60 - April of 62
AE86-0195585 - 0280985
AE86-5066626 - 5079480

Generally 61 year system, 62 year system and 3 types, it is the type which is called the latter term 'Kouki'. Trouble measure (? ) It is the small revised model.
The drive shaft diameter which is while hoe singing becomes thick, also the diff. is modified simultaneously
January of 61 (lack of confirmation) from, special specification car BLACK LIMITED (black 204) was added to トレノ.

so thats about it. then theres the AE85 which is the same thing just lower grade parts/lesser power engine. ive missed a lot of specifics out which i can answer if you ask.

Maybe Sticky this for all the New members we have asking the same questions?
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Confused: Trueno, Levin, Sprinter...? Mon, 03 May 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are sprinters toyotas ?? Rolling Eyes
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Confused: Trueno, Levin, Sprinter...? Mon, 03 May 2004 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shit, really? and i was thinking they were mitubishis

damn...better go buy me a cordia Razz
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Confused: Trueno, Levin, Sprinter...? Mon, 03 May 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't you mean bitsamissing?
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Confused: Trueno, Levin, Sprinter...? Mon, 03 May 2004 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought they were a (spoken in a jap voice) "Me-so-shitti"
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Confused: Trueno, Levin, Sprinter...? Mon, 03 May 2004 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shitsubishi? I had a girl trying to tell me that her Mitsubishi Lancer had a good engine in it. I surrendered after she started saying that it would last just as long as any other engine if she didn't thrash it.

You just can't argue with stupid people, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

... Oh sorry for hijacking the thread.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Confused: Trueno, Levin, Sprinter...? Wed, 05 May 2004 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
God damn I am sick of reading about the different makes
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Confused: Trueno, Levin, Sprinter...? Wed, 05 May 2004 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who cares...
its a TOYOTA Smile and thats all that matters
SoarerFury
Regular

April 2004

Re: Confused: Trueno, Levin, Sprinter...? Wed, 05 May 2004 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
she was probably gettin ova the fact ur old's brought her a shit car, and was not accepting it .haahhaahahahahaa....

oi is it hard to get a trueno here? a 87 or something.. the yanks piss me off they got everything.. bastards!! they have no idea about japanese cars ..they just keep talking about bloody riced out honda's and skylines ..its amazing it all caught on over there after the fast & the furious movies, people sticking crazy shit on a grandma's tercel and call it riced-out..how wack
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Confused: Trueno, Levin, Sprinter...? Wed, 05 May 2004 16:26 Go to previous message
Actualy to her credit she saved the money up and got it herself.

And it IS better than my car.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Diagrams of an AE86
Next Topic:Sydney to Melbourne
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 13:58:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0081040859222412 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.