Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
scr3am3n
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Lexus V8 to '84 hilux Fri, 30 April 2004 02:28 Go to next message
Hey people,
Newbie on this site but hopefully someone can shed some light in the right direction for this conversion.

I have a '84 2wd hilux extra cab with a commodore VP series 2 v6 motor and a supra box in it. There's nothing wrong with the motor it's got less than 40,000kms on it. But I want to upgrade with something with a bit more go. A performance engine builder I use to live behind has a couple of soarer v8's sitting on the floor of his work shop. He said they would drop straight in (within reason), but he reckons go the lexus v8( very similar or something) would be better. What other options do I have (engines) and who can do them.

Any ideas/opinions would be taken on board no matter what.

Pic of my car.... Thanks guys/girls

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictures/inbox/view. html?id=4183420797&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.images tation.com%2Fpicture%2Fsraid107%2Fp100cf6ab7eb8810 6ea6f3fe2d2912b58%2Ff959ef7d.jpg&caption=car
  Send a private message to this user    
KDog
Regular

July 2002
Re: Lexus V8 to '84 hilux Fri, 30 April 2004 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The toyota and lexus V8s are the same thing. There are no differences between the two. What does he mean by the lexus V8 is better? Or does he mean this is in refernce to other engines rather than between the 1uzfe from a crown or soarer?

There are some subtle differences between the external parts of the engines between the sc400 and crown 1uzfes though. Such as the exhaust manifolds, both are poor but the sc400 is not quite as poor. The A340E gearbox behind the sc400 has sportier gear ratios then the A341E found behind the ls400 and crown engines. The sc400 has a beefier alternator than the crown. Thye have different fan setups which may be better for you. The sc400 runs a hydraulic fan whereas the crowns run a clutch fan.
Other than this you would be hard pressed to find a better built factory engine than the 1uzfe. The hilux conversion has been done a few times so i'm sure other people can give you some specific information about the conversion itself.
scr3am3n
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Lexus V8 to '84 hilux Fri, 30 April 2004 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh I thought(was told) that the soarer motor was a pushrod and the lexus was over head cam and has a stronger bottom end. Anyway doesn't matter.

They only come in auto's or can you get a manual box off a landcrusier (or are the v8's different in them).

Thanks for the info, I thinking of questions as I go along please bear with me.

Cheers, Andy.
blownlux
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Lexus V8 to '84 hilux Fri, 30 April 2004 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
contact Dellow automotive they have net site with all their products. They do a complete kit to suit this conversion and can supply adapter for your supra box, also Rod hadfield from Castlemaine rod shop does these conversions. They also have a comprehensive web-site with all the stuff you need!!!!!
CHEERS.....
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: Lexus V8 to '84 hilux Fri, 30 April 2004 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think the guy was probably referring to the fact that the LS400 sump is different to the SC400 sump - and by christ above, if you need a midmount sump and are willing to swap for a rear mount sump i will part the seas to get a rear mount off you and deliver my modded mid mount.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Lexus V8 to '84 hilux Fri, 30 April 2004 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://spw.starkie.net/project1.htm

goto my website

i just finished my 1uz into my hilux

its not a straight forward swap but not much is these days

tye engine side is easy

just fixin all the other fiddly things up takes time

since u already have an efi engine in it then it wont be as hard

just need to make engine mounts once u buy bellhousing kit and sort out the sump
celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Lexus V8 to '84 hilux Sat, 01 May 2004 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good plan. i have seen the lexus v8 in hilux's and it is a sweet fit.. goes well in em hope you get it up and runnin
scr3am3n
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Lexus V8 to '84 hilux Tue, 04 May 2004 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks peoples, I'll try dellows but castlemaine have not helped me at all I've already sent emails enquiring about the conversion but no response( over 4 months ago).

Side show I'll check your site next dood. And I'll keep a lookout ofr the sumps.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers Andy.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Lexus V8 to '84 hilux Tue, 04 May 2004 08:36 Go to previous message
well if email doesnt work then try ringing them

my personal opinion is that castlemaine are better than dellows

just call them i got a sump in afew days after i rang them

just remember some workshops can get busy and email is the last thing they check up on

if u really want something then just call them

what do u want to know

i have done 4 hiluxs with 1uz

i can tell u nearly everything that castlemaine can except prices and type of clutch

first u have to decide if u r goin manual or auto

the other prob is most businesses hate it when people ring and pick their brain and then dont buy anything

i know it shits me sometimes but u have to give some info out so u look good but dont give everuything out

tell me what u want to do and ill tell u what u will need
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:extractors or CAI?!
Next Topic:ST141 disc brake rear into AE71 20V turbo
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 20:33:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004270076751709 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.