Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1G Single Turbo !!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
1G Single Turbo !! Thu, 13 November 2003 02:49 Go to next message
Anyone here done a 1G single turbo from the 7M-GTE. I want to use the manifold, Turbo from the 7M...any ideas if this will be a good mod ? Will power increase ?

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Thu, 13 November 2003 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dare say you couldnt use the manifold
different bolt holes...and size
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Thu, 13 November 2003 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would use the GT4 CT26 as its made for the 2L

heaps of people are are doing/have done the single turbo conversion

TOY77
DCVING
DDEANE
FAT TONY

all those guys have gone with better turbos but

if ya decide to go with the CT26 get 2 manifolds made up! 1 for me
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Thu, 13 November 2003 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no u wont be able to use the manifold
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Thu, 13 November 2003 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know why people would be rushing to use the CT26. Both of the versions struggle to put out much if any more than the CT12's, yet with more lag. If you high-flow them to make them more powerful up comes the lag again.

Personally if I was going a bigger single I'd find something with a bit more response to go along with more power. The CT26 is old technology.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Thu, 13 November 2003 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JCMF
it all comes down to cash! sure a gt25/30 would be ideal but are u gunna give me the 3g to buy one?

the ct26 wont be that laggy, they aint that laggy on a gt4!

as for flow im pretty sure they will flow alot more than the pin size ct12s plus handle alot more boost

all this ct26 is alot just opinion i havent meet anyone who has done it say anything

ill do it then review it

if it aint no good ill get a different flange made up,

CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Thu, 13 November 2003 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another thing have you drove a 1ggte with out boost at all? they are still quiet nice to drive, i still beat a 4agze, so even if there is gunna be lag, it aint gunna be that bad dealing with it
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Thu, 13 November 2003 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If that what you want to do. I can't see the CT26, especially the twin-entry version flowing much more than the CT12's. I remember reading about a couple of people who had done it and it didn't live up to expectations at all.

I'm not trying to discourage you from doing something new, its just it'd be a shame to spend all that effort and money to have a car that probably has a little more top end but is missing more bottom end and mid-range.
Dabbid
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Thu, 13 November 2003 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just got my HKS T04 kit
i'll let ya know how it goes by the end of next week i hope
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Thu, 13 November 2003 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool dude, keep up posted.
E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Thu, 13 November 2003 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could use the GT-4 twin entry turbine housing on the 7M CT-26 to bring lag down and still have a decent flowing turbo.

I wouldn't think the GT-4 CT-26 would flow alot more than the 2 CT-12's on a 1G but the 7M one should flow a bit more (%30??).

what about a turbo off a rb25det, apart from it's ceramic turbine wheel issues could be a good option.

my 2c
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Thu, 13 November 2003 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats not such a silly idea, they use those as an upgrade on an RB20 with good success...

And if you did it and it wasn't what you're after, you have a manifold with a common flange making it easier to get some cool turbos.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 November 2003 23:59]

dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Fri, 14 November 2003 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wooooaaaaa !!! guys guys, fellas please slow down, Thank you ALL for your feedback. I'm new to this turbo thingy, the ct12's i have in my 1G aren't all that bad, the one nearest to the firewall is not doing so well though, it has a 'little' freeplay and i think that the boost is not 'equal' from the 2 turbs.
So i wanted to change it to a single and see what happens. I thought i once saw someone do the 7M manifold conversion etc.
I must be wrong if the manifold could not fit. Thinking how Yamaha made both the heads ??...So would i need to make custom manifolds ?? and the suggestion of using a RB25det ??..does the manifold line up ?? ...and the common flange for more exciting turbos ??....
Someone please 'guide' me on good solution.
Also GT4's ?? twin setup ??..Celica is it ?

cheers
dispatcher
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Fri, 14 November 2003 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no the rb manifold will not line up, youll have too get one made up or buy a hks manifold.

toy77 and myself are using hks manifolds with quite different turbo set ups, itll be interesting to see how they both respond stews will be going within the next week, where as mine is about a month or two away.

theres a picture of mine in members rides, not sure if stews got any pics of his up here or not yet

CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Fri, 14 November 2003 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve sounds very exciting cant wait to see the results.

ill be up the central coast way in the next few weeks some time, would it be cool if i dropped in to check it out,

wouldnt mind saying gday to stew why i was there too
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Sat, 15 November 2003 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to dissapoint craig, but i sold the ct26 and now have the gt35 running on it, u should know that. P.S Single turbo that size makes shit all boost on a 35 degree day, as i found out just now. lol
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Sat, 15 November 2003 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fattony: That's cos your not running a blow off valve.. You'd make more boost if you were.
Anyhow.

As far as single turbo conversions go, I was originally gonna stick with the CT12's, back in the day, then I got talked into a larger single conversion. So I went ahead, and purchased what I thought was a 600hp GT40 ball bearing turbo. I have since found out that this turbo is actually closer to a 700 hp turbo and is a touch too big, with all things being equal (like cooler pipes and appropriately sized manifolds) it doesn't come on boost till about 3500~4000rpm. This is a slight problem. So, I've done the maths and worked out that the exhaust housing needs to be changed, it's a 0.82 a/r at the moment and it's going to a 0.63 a/r exhaust housing. That should bring the boost threshold down to about 3000 rpm. Which in my opinion will work fine, because once this big turbo charger comes on boost, sit back and hold on. It hits in pretty hard, but as was said before, a 1g off boost isn't a particularly big slug, it still moves, but not as fast as it does on boost.

Another thing I've found too is that twin entry turbo chargers come on boost earlier, so looking for a gt4 exhaust housing that will fit onto a ct26 from a 7m would provide plenty of go, providing that the exhaust wheels are the same size, which isn't necessarily a given. The other option might be, try and get a ct26 off a late model 1jz... There's something that would move.

Anyhow, that's my 2c (more like 50c after this essay).

If anybody wants to email me about this, email celica@sco.net.au.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Sat, 15 November 2003 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't the later model 1JZ's run a CT20B?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Sat, 15 November 2003 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, and one other thing, how does not having a blow-off valve affect the amount of boost you make, it shouldn't make a difference at all.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Sat, 15 November 2003 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You might be right about the 1jz, but I thought it was a ct26 single turbo.

As for the blow off valve.
When your throttle body snaps shut, all the pressurized air in the piping has to get out somewhere, as I'm sure your already aware.
Now, just after you've snapped your throttle body shut, there's a fair chance your turbo is at either the peak of it's spinning speed(RPM) for your motor, or it's close on it's way up there.

When you have all that pressurized air forcing it's way back out your piping, it goes backwards out through the turbo compressor cover. This air pushes back against the compressor blades, hence that 'choofing' noise. The air forcing back in the opposite direction to that which the compressor wheel is spinning, slows it down, by putting a large force on it.

If you let all that pressurized air out somewhere else, the compressor wheel doesn't have all that force against it, and hence just slows down of it's own accord, which means it's going to be ready at a relatively higher RPM when you get back on the gas, rather than having already been slowed down by all that pressurized air forcing it's way out.

Ofcourse, the problem is multiplied the higher the boost pressure that you run.

Make sense?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Sat, 15 November 2003 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I understand that, but providing there is no significant restriction in say the throttle body, causing compressor surge as you are describing, then there is no reason that a blow-off valve would make more boost, it would just mean the turbo loses less revs when you snap the throttle shut. A blow-off valve should be doing nothing under WOT.
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Sat, 15 November 2003 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G'day

Well Dabbid if you can get yours runnin in a week well done!!!
mine has taken 4 weeks with a great workshop with tig and all the gear ( though i did do a flash new cooler too)

Started her tonight...... LOOK OUT!!!!

as for how it goes.. you will have to find out the hard way!

Craig, if your in newy, give me a dial on 0404040370.

Hers some words of advice...
bolt on kits arn't, and its ALWAYS heaps harder than it looks.
Dont waste you time with cheap turbos cause unless you have access to a work shop, the turbos wont be the biggest expense.

Cheers
Stew
Dabbid
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Sun, 16 November 2003 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well guys the turbo is done
and after thinking for while the engine was gettin a little weak, turns out i was right, i now have a very big rattle in the bearings.... and shit all oil pressure
and it doesnt spool hard til 5100rpm, its quite silly
but whne it does... hold on!!
i'll have some pics of it for u all as soon as i get my camera back
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Sun, 16 November 2003 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool.. awaiting piccies..

I think I'm gunna go this route when I put the 1g into my corona.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Sun, 16 November 2003 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stew, sounds great mate! what computer u running?

yes as bugman says PICS PICS
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Sun, 16 November 2003 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stradlater, i think you missed the point. However u see my child a blow off valve makes no diff as to the inlet temps on a car on a hot day.
Anyhow
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Sun, 16 November 2003 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heya

i am runnin the factory computer for a little while, myself and a few of the newy boys are keen to see how far it can be pushed... then i will most likely go Autronic.... not sure yet though.

Dabbid - its cool u got it runnin so quick.... what size are your housings?
are you sure you got the wastegate hooked up properly?
it should spool up much earlier than that.

Stew
Dabbid
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Mon, 17 November 2003 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah not really sure if the waste gates hooked up right
but i think it's right, cos it only opens (really loud)
when it gets to full boost (15psi)
Dabbid
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Sat, 22 November 2003 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pics now in the for sale section
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Sat, 22 November 2003 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.horsepowerinabox.com/HPIAB2/category26_ 1.htm

GT28 turbo, $2000. if you've got the cash, that would be a good option.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Sun, 23 November 2003 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is?
Assailant
Regular

"Cørønå ƒreåk"

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Tue, 09 December 2003 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BUGMAN - GO THE CORONA POWER!!!
I think 2 turbos are better than one, but over all.... you'll end up with more problems than a single.... but can't really say that since TRACTION ISSUES has ripped shit up with his monster of a car (gotta love it).... I'm still doing my engine - but out of funds to continue on with the damn thing... but im going for a single T67 or something along those lines.... just waiting for the cash to start flowing again.. Sad
Dabbid
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Tue, 09 December 2003 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
assailant- y not buy my T04 kit??
2Lsupra
Regular

November 2003
Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Tue, 09 December 2003 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so dabbid, u had the T04 in place for less than a month and then sell your car?

was it not all runnin properly? hte new turbo didn't live up to expectations?
or was the engine screwed like you suspected?

sorry for bein so nosey, jsut curious cos if i got a new turbo i'd sure be hangin on to my car for a while if it went well...
Dabbid
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Tue, 09 December 2003 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate the turbo was great!
i sold my car cos i need a ute, which i now have
and now i have no need for turbos anymore
i like to have torque from idle!! Very Happy
nothin quite like 6.5litres of engine!

but there's nothin wrong with the turbo or wastegate or any other associated part in the kit

stop askin about it and buy it! Razz
Aliencorolla
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Wed, 10 December 2003 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is a bit late but what I did on my 1G is this, I got a T4 hybrid, this has a T3 exhaust housing for the new guy, this set up alows the larg turbo to spinn up almost as soon as a smaller turbo, the only thing is it will have a limit to the engine size, being on a 1G this is no problem. I had an adaptor that went on to the mount where the 2xCT12s sat on the original exhaust maniflod. This worked extremly well for street use and didnt cost an arm and a leg. It got to 15psi at about 3000rpm, started making boost at about 2300rpm. so this made it verry drivable. When on full boost with a W58 box you can change quick enough to not loose any more than 3 or 4psi. If you get more of a drop than this you need to practice changing faster. Im not wanting to be arogant about this but i had no trouble at doing this when it mattered. I also done some silly tests for you guys that are interested on performance. I had an average 2 1/2 inch exhaust and a water to air cool. on 6psi it got 130hp on 15psi it got 180hp and on (dont laugh I did this to try and win in a comp)24psi I got 226hp I didnt like to do this, but it loved it, didnt ping and didnt lean out at all. this was on stock computer and I would be looking forward to doing this in the future when the eng goes back in with a computer that is ment to do this.
Does any one know what the max out put any one has gotten from one of these engines with out doing any internal mods.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Wed, 10 December 2003 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alien corolla can you get picks of your manifold setup plz!!!

Aliencorolla
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Wed, 10 December 2003 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok as requested on more than one ocasion I think, I have hunted around and here is my twin turbo manifold adaptor for a 1G-GTE to convert it to a single turbo, this simply bolted onto the original manifold and made the Turbo sit up nice and high so it was well presented and showed off the wanky polished finish. i dont have any of the whole thing set up but im sure you can get the drift.
http://www.turbonetics.com.au/images_audio/p&s /manifolds/images/manifolding-pix-a.jpg\

Edit- This was built for a T4/T3 turbo, I had the whole thing built by ATS in melbourne.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 December 2003 11:11]

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Thu, 11 December 2003 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is some more photo's of your car on this section of the turbonetics page

http://www.turbonetics.com.au/ATS_workshop_corona_ .htm

Looks really nice. Did you notice much of a performance gain. The power they are quoting isn't all that high. Most of us are getting 110-120rwkw with standard boost, but I don't know what the water cooled 1G's are good for.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Thu, 11 December 2003 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not a bad way of doing it.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Thu, 11 December 2003 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and the power output ain't too bad either. It would have been even better in a celica, but I guess you can't have everything. Very Happy
Aliencorolla
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Thu, 11 December 2003 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, noted it wasnt the best power, but take into consideration the exhaust it had on it 3 inch to the 2 1/2"cat then it was down to the 2 1/4 muffler at the rear, and the fact it was only 5psi, this was with the eng cutting out at about 4500rpm (Grant will confirm this, he knows all about this problem we had) the twin turbos had all this gear and it went about the same, but after boosting it, it went much harder than what the stock turbos went. I did boost the stock turbos but they died soon after I did this. I was happy with the conversion and I cant wait to get it back into a car, as in another post it will be going in the supra and it will have a full 3 inch exhaust to stop the flow restrictions. I will be posting it up after I have it up and running, I will let you know what the power out put is with the full kit and kuboodel.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Thu, 11 December 2003 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think that for the relatively small amount of fabrication work involved, it was a really good result.

Were you running the stock ECU???? I guess you would have at least something to stop fuel cut.
2Lsupra
Regular

November 2003
Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Fri, 12 December 2003 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes dabbid i know i should buy it just putting it off till i got all the cash...
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Sat, 13 December 2003 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aliencorolla, what is the exact make of your turbo, can you give us the impellor size, compressor size and when it makes boost and how much ya paid

cheers mate

sorry for buggin ya so much
dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Tue, 20 January 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys, saw the link that showed the pic of the single Turbo adapter, Now can anyone give me some measurement for a 1G ?..i.e pipe diameter flanges (if they need gaskets), also i suppose i'd have to pick the Turbo first before i actually make an adapter, Which would be better ?? Ball-bearing type or standard Turbo.

Any advice is appreciated, Also more clearer pics and different type adapters..please forward links.

cheers
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Tue, 20 January 2004 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ball bearing turbos spool slightly quicker, cost more and as far as i am aware are not rebuildable.

standard bearing turbos spool slightly slower, are usually cheaper and can be rebuilt 'fairly' cheaply.

If i had the cash i would put a 500hp GT30 on a 1g. about $2300 i think, but you will need a wastegate as well. Otherwise, probably t04E with an external gate also. Depends what sort of adaptors you can get for the standard manifold unless you want a custom one. (not cheap)
twinturbo86
Regular

June 2003
Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Wed, 21 January 2004 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the adaptors are not a expensive as u think. all u need is to cut 2 flange plates with a oxy or profile cutter,get 4 x 1 3/4 steam pipe bends and a flange plate to suit your turbo.i made one to suit a t04 but i sold it with the turbo. i am going to make one to suit my gt3040, i might make a few if my one turns out ok.
E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Wed, 21 January 2004 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What are the specs on you GT3040??
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Wed, 21 January 2004 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are going to do a single turbo set up you would want at least 200rwkw from it as I have 163rwkw with stock turbos on it.
For ailencorolla that is 220hp at 16psi with stock internals the only mod is an aftermarket ecu.

Thats my 2c

BEN
twinturbo86
Regular

June 2003
Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Sun, 25 January 2004 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my gt3040 is rated @600hp it has a .82 exhaust housing and a
ar70 compressor cover. it cost me $2200 (trade price) from gcg turbos
dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Mon, 26 January 2004 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks mates, please post some pics of the adapters when they're done.

cheers
punkdefender
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Wed, 05 May 2004 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi all,
I got the t04e single turbo kit for the 1g-gte and trying to find a place thats reliable and would do the job for a fair price. I have been to three shops and one said $1900, another $1500 and the last said $1000... I would have expected around $500.. Am I wrong? The hardest part I thought would be to fabricate the dump pipe from the turbo and external wastegate? BTW Im in Melbourne...
Does anybody know of a place around Melbourne that would do the job and not try to rip me off?
walkie
Regular

October 2003
Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Thu, 06 May 2004 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much did you pay for the TO4E kit? From where did you get it? Who makes the kit?
punkdefender
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Thu, 06 May 2004 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Supraman on these forums has a few for sale, search for it on these forums..
SUPRA MAN
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Sun, 18 July 2004 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I usually always have 1GG T04E kits....
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Mon, 19 July 2004 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much are the again i forgot
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: 1G Single Turbo !! Mon, 19 July 2004 12:05 Go to previous message
around 1500
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RA60 Conversion's ?
Next Topic:Jelly Bean mags with a 4x100 stud pattern