Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
1UZ Project Planning Thu, 06 May 2004 04:59 Go to next message
The engine is picked but the car its going into will be decided by my lovely wife. Smile Maybe an IS200 (getting old hat now) or a MX83 Cressida (biased99's car is excellent) or a BMW or a M-Benz Shocked !!!!

The plan is to keep the motor near standard and use the Lexus auto box.

So, I just want to set my thinking up correctly from the outset,
is there any 1UZ from a particular model that is a more straightforward swap than the others, from the point of view of ECU's and electronic's ? No traction control (if such a beast exists) and only 1 ECU, or one with the second ECU that drives the slush-box ?

The car this will go into is likely to have ABS and airbags as a minimum, and if these functions go through that car's ECU, I'm expecting to lose some hair while I sort out an interface unit.

The swapping around of sumps and pick-ups is not a concern for me, and its been well covered that:
Front: is LS400
Mid: Crown Royal Saloon
Rear: Soarer, and even further rear the 2UZ Land Cruiser.

And in looking at UZS130 Crowns and LS400's, does the Crown have 45 degree angled engine mounts, while the LS400's are horizontal ?

If anyone would mind chipping in their ideas and knowledge on the 1UZ, I would appreciate it greatly.

Many thanks,
Mitch.
  Send a private message to this user    
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1UZ Project Planning Thu, 06 May 2004 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the easiest motor to get going wiring wise is the crown - it has seperate engine and tranny computers - assuming you are not using the auto tranny you just unplug it & throw it away. if you have an uncut loom there is not a huge amount or rewiring to be done.

T
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1UZ Project Planning Thu, 06 May 2004 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First off, congratulations! Sounds like a very ambitious project.

I can't comment specifically on the LS400 mounts, but here's a pic of the Crown and Soarer ones (Crown right, Soarer left).
http://members.optusnet.com.au/corona2jzge/Crown%20V8%20conversion/The%20donor/mounts2.jpg

Wiring up the 1UZ is a big job. Interfacing it with non Toyota stuff will be a ball breaker. I suppose I'm just stating the obvious!

Of course, chat to Kdog/Grant-sixworks/sideshow.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1UZ Project Planning Thu, 06 May 2004 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks ._T_. and GT, much appreciated.
Try as I might I can't interest her in a LS400 (grey import) or an IS200 (so far), so its compromise all the way after that. And now she mentions replacing the wide-body Camry with a newer one or a Magna, and my skin really starts to crawl then....
I do plan to keep and use the Lexus autobox.
The photo of the Soarer and Crown mounts is great !
And those 3 gentlemen are who I had in mind when I get to some specific questions.
Thanks,
Mitch.
stevevp
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1UZ Project Planning Thu, 06 May 2004 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found the single computer fairly easy to wire up (UZS141 Crown), the rest of your questions would depend on the final car chosen to receive the swap
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: 1UZ Project Planning Fri, 07 May 2004 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a mid mount with those mounts on the right - so yeah, crown royal saloon for me.

if you score those mounts, they have the rubbers in them already, so all you need to do is make up a spacer between your engine mounts and those ones.

and the only way you'll know which sump you need is to look at the existing shape of your engine bay. if you need the SC400 sump, then good luck. they're as rare as all hell in OZ.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1UZ Project Planning Fri, 07 May 2004 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stevevp and onejayzed,
Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated.
With the final car not picked yet, sumps and mounts will be up in the air. Half cut Soarers are pretty rare in Perth too, but we have a heck of a lot of them on the road, so one may turn up one day. The 2UZ in the Land Cruiser has a rear bump sump, so that may be an option, but I like the idea of the 141 Crown with the single ECU.
Anyway - thanks again - I will be storing this info away and keep going with the research.
Cheers,
Mitch.
MacroP
Regular

April 2004
Re: 1UZ Project Planning Sat, 08 May 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Fri, 07 May 2004 11:06

Half cut Soarers are pretty rare in Perth too, but we have a heck of a lot of them on the road, so one may turn up one day.

Now that you mention it, I was lucky enough to find a crashed 92 Soarer the other day when I went to Perth. The car had minimal front suspension damage and the motor survived unscathed so I grabbed it, as well the front leather seats (electric) and the 3 inch S/S full twin system (with ceramic coated extractors) that was strapped to the bottom. Might grab the rear bench seat this coming week once I do a few measurements of my donor vehicle.

This particular wrecker/importer is getting 2 front cuts in a couple of weeks. One Crown and a Soarer.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1UZ Project Planning Mon, 10 May 2004 03:39 Go to previous message
Thanks MacroP,
I will drop you a line PM direct and we can swap notes here.
Cheers,
Mitch.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:oil pres sender on 4AC.
Next Topic:what hilux diff do u guys use
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 16:32:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.011801958084106 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.