Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » HELP internet explorer !!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon5.gif  HELP internet explorer !! Thu, 06 May 2004 13:11 Go to next message
Hi can someone help ?

This is what happens...

1) Open Internet explorer (IE) it goes to some stoopid home page ...

2) i go into tools and then change the HOME PAGE setting back to whatever it was before .. say i.e. www.google.com

3) it works

4) turn off computer and when i start up again.. it happens !!!!! arghhh why ???

How do i stop this PERMANENTLY... ?? Plase help thankssss
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: HELP internet explorer !! Thu, 06 May 2004 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you run ad-aware lately?
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Thu, 06 May 2004 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://%68%6F%6D%65%70%61%67%65%2E%63%6F%6D

it goes there

i have adaware .. just run it now ??
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: HELP internet explorer !! Thu, 06 May 2004 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Make sure its updated, then run it.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Thu, 06 May 2004 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i shall get the update now thanks

any other ideas.. if this does not solve it Shocked
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Thu, 06 May 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what is the newest version .. i already have 6.0
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: HELP internet explorer !! Thu, 06 May 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If that dont work, look in "add remove programs" for something like 16 year old quick launch search bar. Or some ghey crap like that.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: HELP internet explorer !! Thu, 06 May 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Make sure you have the latest reference file. Reference Number : 01R302 03.05.2004
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Thu, 06 May 2004 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh, you got spyware on your PC. I've got AdAware6.0 and it works sweet...
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Thu, 06 May 2004 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks so far .. there is nothing for me to remove from control panel... im gonna restart and see if it is fixed Smiley =
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Thu, 06 May 2004 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FOCCCK !!!!!

No good man !! what other ideas have u got fellas ???
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: HELP internet explorer !! Thu, 06 May 2004 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
format c:
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: HELP internet explorer !! Thu, 06 May 2004 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep spyware for sure...

The latest Norton AV and McAfee AV programs detect spyware fairly well, however, if its already infected your pc you may need to do a virus scan in safe mode.

Alternatively:
If you go and download "HiJackThis" and dump your log file into this thread I can probably tell you which processes and registry entries to give the flick
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: HELP internet explorer !! Thu, 06 May 2004 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ooh and if you download "WinPatrol" you can see which "IE Helpers" are installed and disable them very easily
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: HELP internet explorer !! Thu, 06 May 2004 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also try "spybot search and destroy", otherwise theres the manual way or...

contact http://www.comptroub.com.au

Smile

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Thu, 06 May 2004 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
let me try winpatrol
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Thu, 06 May 2004 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All I have to say is written here..

Nark??? Very Happy

http://desperado.scvnet.com/~demented/mac/webboard /messages/579.html

*teehee*

*runs a LONG way away and hides*
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Thu, 06 May 2004 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Thu, 06 May 2004 23:56

Ooh and if you download "WinPatrol" you can see which "IE Helpers" are installed and disable them very easily

installed and under IE helpers .. there was nothing unusual there.. just ICQ
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Thu, 06 May 2004 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Fri, 07 May 2004 00:02

Also try "spybot search and destroy", otherwise theres the manual way or...

contact http://www.comptroub.com.au

Smile

the fck is that site u sent me ?!?!? hjehjhe
torque
Regular

May 2003
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Thu, 06 May 2004 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't use IE.
Simple.
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Thu, 06 May 2004 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my friend had 3 worms on his comptuers which displayed similar sympoms amongst other things

do you have any antivirus software, if not i suggest you get it, it may go beyond simple adware if it keeps repearring.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Thu, 06 May 2004 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've heard that search and destroy is good.

Les, to solve your problem, go here:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/start/

Rob, I'm starting to think that Mac users do something wrong when they use PCs since they seem to be the only people that screw up PCs... Smile
Plus, you realise that modern Macs are just another brand of PC? Everything else is the same, SDRAM, PCI and AGP slots. It's not like the old days when Amigas, Apples, and IBM Compatibles ran different hardware.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Thu, 06 May 2004 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
winpatrol seems to be working ... hmmm ... fcking internet

thanks fellas
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Thu, 06 May 2004 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol, Nark I can ASSURE you having had a brother that worked at IBM for several years. Mac users are not the only ones to stuff up PCs Smile

Quote:

Plus, you realise that modern Macs are just another brand of PC? Everything else is the same, SDRAM, PCI and AGP slots. It's not like the old days when Amigas, Apples, and IBM Compatibles ran different hardware.

Which makes our silly little arguements even more funny. heehe

though, I would like to suggest, based on the history of the personal computer, that PCs are another brand of Mac, dare I contaminate the Mac purity by saying such.. Very Happy

Maybe I shoud say the half brother. The contaminated breed... rofl... Laughing Ok, laughing to myself here. That's a bad thing.

I like this...

http://homepage.mac.com/andrewlincolne/.cv/andrewl incolne/Public/gates.mov-binhex.hqx
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Fri, 07 May 2004 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Fri, 07 May 2004 09:48

lol, Nark I can ASSURE you having had a brother that worked at IBM for several years. Mac users are not the only ones to stuff up PCs Smile

I worked above the ANU Apple Centre for a year and I can tell you that I saw many Macs being taken in for servicing every day too. Smile
Things will break. Macs are just another brand of PC (WRT hardware). It's just the quality of the brands that differ much.

RobST162 wrote on Fri, 07 May 2004 09:48

I like this...

http://homepage.mac.com/andrewlincolne/.cv/andrewl incolne/Public/gates.mov-binhex.hqx

haha Posting a BinHex file... Laughing
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Fri, 07 May 2004 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what? your poor little PC can't handle bin-hex?

lol.. oh man, how immature are WE! Very Happy
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Fri, 07 May 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know you are, but what am I?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Fri, 07 May 2004 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rofl

*slaps knee*

takes one to know one kiddo
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: HELP internet explorer !! Fri, 07 May 2004 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Fri, 07 May 2004 09:26

Rob, I'm starting to think that Mac users do something wrong when they use PCs since they seem to be the only people that screw up PCs... Smile

I am a mac user. And here I am at work working on PC's and I am the ONLY person fixing them. Other people (PC users) are stuffing them up. Very Happy Very Happy
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: HELP internet explorer !! Fri, 07 May 2004 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
torque wrote on Thu, 06 May 2004 23:42

Don't use IE.
Simple.

Thats my solution Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Fri, 07 May 2004 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, use Netscape instead. Less standards-compliant, crashes heaps more often, and uses system resources like nothing else! Woohoo!!
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Fri, 07 May 2004 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Fri, 07 May 2004 11:33

Yeah, use Netscape instead. Less standards-compliant, crashes heaps more often, and uses system resources like nothing else! Woohoo!!

WAY more standards compliant.
Much more modern (did someone say pop up blocker?)
Much more stable than IE.
And is lean, mean, and FAST!

Mozilla > lynx > Mosaic > IE
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: HELP internet explorer !! Fri, 07 May 2004 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
firefox (mozilla) is the best out there. Blocks almost all pop-ups, blocks a lot of ads embedded in webpages
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Fri, 07 May 2004 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sop u recommend just d/loading netscape yeah ?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: HELP internet explorer !! Fri, 07 May 2004 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no
firefox.
netscape sucks
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Fri, 07 May 2004 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i got netscape now.. d/l firefox too now..

is FIREFOX simple to use ?? similar to internet explorer ? cuz my mom uses it too ...

[Updated on: Fri, 07 May 2004 03:45]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Fri, 07 May 2004 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Fri, 07 May 2004 13:43

is it simple to use ?? similar to internet explorer ? cuz my mom uses it too ...

My Mum uses Mozilla (the big brother of Firefox) without any problems.
It's safer that way, no popups, I can block ads, and no stupid stuff like executing VBScript.

Les wrote on Fri, 07 May 2004 13:43

can i copy bookmarks across or not ?

Yes

Oh, and tabbed browsing rocks!! Much less confusing for my Mum... Middle-click, middle-click, middle-click... No need to deal with billions of windows (which she doesn't handle very well, she has enough trouble double-clicking).

And if you want to emulate IE, there's even an IE theme that makes it look like IE. But that would be sacrelige and I'd kill you and your family if you did that.... Razz

[Updated on: Fri, 07 May 2004 03:57]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Fri, 07 May 2004 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, and you want extensions...
http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/

Especially these:
http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#tbe
Excellent extensions to tab browsing including saving of a session when you quit, so that when you open up Firefox again, all the tabs get loaded up again.

http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#ieview
In case you hit a page that is written only for IE.

And for anyone doing web development work, this is THE BEST THING SINCE THE WHEEL!
http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#webdevel oper

[Updated on: Fri, 07 May 2004 04:00]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Fri, 07 May 2004 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go Nark!

http://homepage.smc.edu/nestler_andrew/nerds.gif
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Fri, 07 May 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're just jealous of my g33k stylz.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Fri, 07 May 2004 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
total geek - u the man - i will be PM'ing u soon for more examples ... no doubt ...

can i send someone a screen print of my problem with IE loading up a different home page than what i had originally .. now, it gets picked up BUT its a real PITA
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Fri, 07 May 2004 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it DOES look like IE .. i got FOOLED !!! hahaha

good on ya max thanks ...
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: HELP internet explorer !! Fri, 07 May 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hmm pentium vs motorola chips, mac runs faster with half the quoted speed. dos based vs unix.And dont even get me started on compatability issues.

Why mac? IT JUST WORKS
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: HELP internet explorer !! Fri, 07 May 2004 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep! - they sure do all the time - well mine does Cool

and don't forget Safari (with it's open source heritage in KDE's konqueror) is also a very stable browser on OS X.

but if you want to stick to your under-engineered intel hardware, get the current Fedora release of Linux, format your local hard drive(s), run a stable, fast, *nix operating system, get access to lots of free, open-source software packages (including open office, numerous browsers, thousands of utilities and tools, etc) and then have very infrequent security/virus problems. Cool Laughing
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Fri, 07 May 2004 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clubagreenie wrote on Fri, 07 May 2004 21:47

Hmm pentium vs motorola chips, mac runs faster with half the quoted speed.

Those two are the same thing and are related to the CPU. AMD Athlons as well as Intel Pentium Ms run at much lower speeds to get better performance. I could write a big essay about pipelines and MHz...

clubagreenie wrote on Fri, 07 May 2004 21:47

dos based vs unix.

x86 != Wintel.
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: HELP internet explorer !! Sat, 08 May 2004 11:18 Go to previous message
Go here ---> http://download.com.com/3000-8022-10214379.html?ta g=lst-0-2

that should make IE work when you scan ur pc with it
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply