Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Strange noise when turning left... ( in a ST162 )

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
icon5.gif  Strange noise when turning left... ( in a ST162 ) Fri, 07 May 2004 07:24 Go to next message
Can anyone help me out with this?

When I turn to the left in the Celica, i get a strange sound coming from the right front wheel - sounds kinda like rubbing a spoon on the bottom of a saucepan! Any ideas what's causing it? I replaced the power steering pump recently, could it be related?

Also, I need a workshop manual for the ST162- any recommendations?

Cheers,
Andy
  Send a private message to this user    
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Strange noise when turning left... ( in a ST162 ) Fri, 07 May 2004 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brake pads ok?

Dan
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Strange noise when turning left... ( in a ST162 ) Fri, 07 May 2004 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CV Joint most likely.
Put the steering on full lock once in each direction (L then R) and tell us what you hear. Do this going forwards and then in reverse. Use a empty shopping centre car park.
Toyota Dealer or Ebay for a workshop manual. Bookstore for a Chilton's/Hayes.
Mitch.
SoarerFury
Regular

April 2004

Re: Strange noise when turning left... ( in a ST162 ) Fri, 07 May 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the backing plate on the brakes, might be rubbing on the disc

hey it does happens!!
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: Strange noise when turning left... ( in a ST162 ) Fri, 07 May 2004 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like the backing plate all right, a stone could have hit it or even got wedged in the disk vents.
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
icon14.gif  Re: Strange noise when turning left... ( in a ST162 ) Sat, 08 May 2004 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, i thought it might've been the backing plate too.

I'll check it out when i get the car back from the shop. The brake pads could also be the cause - when I drive it after its been sitting for a while the pads on that side make a squealing sound. It goes away after I mash the brakes once or twice. Damn stones. Just had the front rotors machined in November because of stone damage, gotta stay off them gravel roads Rolling Eyes.

Mitch - hoping its not the CV's, I'll definitely check that one out! Thanks for the tip.

Autobarn wants $70 for the Hayes manual, it covers 4th and 5th gen Celicas tho. That's about normal price yeah?

Thanks for the help guys,

Andy

PS: Sorry about the essay!
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Strange noise when turning left... ( in a ST162 ) Sat, 08 May 2004 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brought a haynes manual from autobarn ringwood about 6 months ago.paid $52! (they had to order it in too) u can also get that manual repco and even BIG W. Laughing
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: Strange noise when turning left... ( in a ST162 ) Sat, 08 May 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try repco, i got my Ra40 manual there and it only cost me 38 bucks. Yours might be dearer though.
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: Strange noise when turning left... ( in a ST162 ) Sat, 08 May 2004 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a similar noise in my car, which turned out to be a stuffed wheel bearing.

See if u can get a place like Big W or KMart to order ur manual in, they're usually a bit cheaper there (but not sure if they let you order particular manuals in). Whatever you pay for it, it'll pay for itself back as soon as you use it to fix stuff anyway. Smile
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Strange noise when turning left... ( in a ST162 ) Sun, 06 June 2004 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Fri, 07 May 2004 17:35

CV Joint most likely.
Put the steering on full lock once in each direction (L then R) and tell us what you hear. Do this going forwards and then in reverse. Use a empty shopping centre car park.
Mitch.

Okay, I took the car out and checked this. The sound only comes when doing above 20km/h and turning left with the wheel at about 3/4 lock. There's no sound when turning right or at lesser speeds, lower steering angles or in reverse (although I didn't get the chance to test 20km/h in reverse~).

I was speaking to Adrian (aka SR TWINCAM) about it - his car is doing something similar, but he reckons that a part of the splash guard might be hanging down into the wheel arch. To me it sounds to metallic to be that, but what the hey, its worth a look.

I'm gonna get the car up on stands and take a look this week sometime, anything else I should look out for?
sik sx
Regular

I supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Strange noise when turning left... ( in a ST162 ) Sun, 06 June 2004 12:05 Go to previous message
my haynes st163 manual that covers everything costed me like $42 from repco..and there expensive usually s i think $70 is WAYYYYY to much..
good luck dude
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ST162 Audio
Next Topic:Instument cluster conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 02:21:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0037779808044434 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.