Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 21r and 22r simialities and differnces

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

21r and 22r simialities and differnces Sun, 09 May 2004 04:20 Go to next message
just wondering what is the same and what is ddifferent between 21 and 22r engines. also is there a mid sump for the 22r engine and whats it in
  Send a private message to this user    
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 21r and 22r simialities and differnces Sun, 09 May 2004 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is real basics that you prolly are aware of, but ill say anyway..

21r is 2.0 litre SOHC carbie, about 67kw
22r is 2.4 litre SOHC carbie and/or EFi, about 87 kw

apparantly the 22r has lots of low down torque and aint really that good...

the 21r was a nice economical engine that propelled my celica to 100km/h in about 14 seconds Very Happy

sorry but thats about all i know Confused
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 21r and 22r simialities and differnces Sun, 09 May 2004 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im wondering what is the same in the way of pistons crank block head cams etc etc....also which would be better to turbo 22re or 21rc or maybe efi the 21rc and then turbo.
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: 21r and 22r simialities and differnces Sun, 09 May 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The blocks are different hight not sure about other bits ,
The 22RTE is the go in the USA .
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 21r and 22r simialities and differnces Sun, 09 May 2004 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 22r-te was stock in a hilux apparantly, so if you wanted to turbo one of them, theres a good starting point

as far as i know they only made a meager 135hp, so they're pretty crappy, but hey, they might be perfect for your application Very Happy Very Happy

hope some of this helps Very Happy
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 21r and 22r simialities and differnces Sun, 09 May 2004 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
best bet is to start off with efi, and the 22r-e. As has been stated, htis is a pretty popular conversion in the states (where crappy laws prevent them doing real engine conversions). You have to ask yourself what sort of gains you're after, and how much you're looking to spend. the turbo option will offer you a modest gain in power, but if you're looking at building a real powerhouse the simple answer is to start looking at engine conversions Smile
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 21r and 22r simialities and differnces Tue, 11 May 2004 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is a long way off my original question now. I have a 22re and a 21rc and i wanna start buy making a good engine out of the 2. Ive been told heads are the same and blocks are different...Would i be better of building a 22re, 22rc or the 21rc. We would like to stay carby for now if possibly to save wiring up a computer. this is going in a sa63
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 21r and 22r simialities and differnces Tue, 11 May 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh, my kinda question Smile

Okay, there is a few things i better clear up. There is an early and a late version of both. The early 21/22R head doesnt have the bolt holes for the EFI manifold. So beware Smile Also the early head has open combustion chambers and round exhaust ports.

In Australia, we got the early 21R-C and the late 22R-E. The late 22RE head is much different. The main differnce is the closed combustion chamber. So unless you want to drop your CR something seriously low, I dont recommend swapping heads. The height of the block on the late model I believe is shorter. The majority of items that bolt onto the front will not swap between early/late. Also in Australia, the 22R-E got the analog EFI setup with the late style head/block. So changing to a proper EFI setup can be a bastard with all the vacuum hoses/emissions gear + the vacuum/centrifugal advance dizzy.

For a turbo motor, I recommend using the 22R-E. It has a lot of aftermarket support in the US. Primarily www.lcengineering.com

If you want more pics on 22R turbo stuff, I have millions. Done shitloads of research. In the end, found out that 4 valves are better than two and two cams are better than one. Hence the 3S-GTE SA63.

Cheers,
James Nicol
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 21r and 22r simialities and differnces Tue, 11 May 2004 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The cam/crank/rods/carb+intake manifold can be swapped. Although I strongly recommend you look into digital EFI for the 22R-E, for now you could probably run the stock 21R-C intake on the 22R-E. The RA60/65 share the same crossmember as the SA63 im pretty sure, just the mounts are changed around for the SA63. Also in Australia, the SA63/RA65 got the W55 g/box, but the RA60 got the W57 which has imho better gears (taller). All share the same diff ratio (T312?).

How much of the SA63 engine stuff do you have btw? I'm interested in the bellhousing/engine mounts/etc.

Cheers,
James Nicol

[Updated on: Wed, 12 May 2004 01:59]

celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 21r and 22r simialities and differnces Tue, 11 May 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 21r is pretty much the same as a 20r but not as much cc's am i right?
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 21r and 22r simialities and differnces Tue, 11 May 2004 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

the 21r is pretty much the same as a 20r but not as much cc's am i right?

Not exactly. The 20R is the 2.2L variant, brought out before the 21R/22R. The head design is rather different. Circular intake ports, the airflow for the intake is differnt. The 21R/22R has a swirl flow pattern.

In the US, the 20R head on the 22R is a popular swap for increased compression ratio, and no swirl intake ports. But at the compromise of smaller valves.

The camshafts are interchangable too. But im unsure of rods/crank. the 20R/21R/22R share the same stroke, just change in bore.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 21r and 22r simialities and differnces Tue, 11 May 2004 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ViPeR_NiPPleX wrote on Tue, 11 May 2004 18:48

Also in Australia, the SA63/RA65 got the W55 g/box, but the RA60 got the W58 which has imho better gears (taller).

I've bought a transmission from an RA60 and a transmission from an RA65, and both were W57's. In fact every RA6x I've seen at the wreckers had a W57, and I'm looking for this sort of thing all the time. Can't recall what SA63's usually come with though.
ViPeR_NiPPleX wrote on Tue, 11 May 2004 18:48

All share the same diff ratio (T312?).

From what I've seen the RA60 and SA63 have a 3.9:1 ratio while the RA65 has a 3.5:1 F-series diff.
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 21r and 22r simialities and differnces Wed, 12 May 2004 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I've bought a transmission from an RA60 and a transmission from an RA65, and both were W57's. In fact every RA6x I've seen at the wreckers had a W57, and I'm looking for this sort of thing all the time. Can't recall what SA63's usually come with though.

Interesting. I know for sure the RA60 has the W57 and the SA63 has the W55. I was only told from Mentor that his RA65 has a W55. Suppose I better check the plate on the ol' firewall eh.

Quote:

From what I've seen the RA60 and SA63 have a 3.9:1 ratio while the RA65 has a 3.5:1 F-series diff.

Hehe, caught me out good there. Smile

EDIT: Also just noticed I put down the RA60 with W58, i guess my finger slipped Razz

[Updated on: Wed, 12 May 2004 02:00]

people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 21r and 22r simialities and differnces Wed, 12 May 2004 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a complete sa63 but we are just looking at a better engine than the 2s-c
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 21r and 22r simialities and differnces Wed, 12 May 2004 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Every RA60 I've seen had a W57, I can't comment on the SA63, but I DO know that the RA65 came with both a W55 and W58. If Norbie has seen W57's in an RA65, then it means Toyota couldn't make up their minds Smile
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 21r and 22r simialities and differnces Thu, 13 May 2004 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Every RA60 I've seen had a W57, I can't comment on the SA63, but I DO know that the RA65 came with both a W55 and W58. If Norbie has seen W57's in an RA65, then it means Toyota couldn't make up their minds

Interesting. I wonder why toyota would switch between W55 an W58 in the RA65?

Quote:

its a complete sa63 but we are just looking at a better engine than the 2s-c

Well if your not too far away, i am more than happy to help you out swapping in a 22re. PM me regarding the engine mounts/bellhousing. I am very interested in getting these parts for my 3s-gte swap.

Cheers,
James

EDIT: okay, QLD isnt close by Razz But I can show you pics, give wiring diagrams, etc. Whatever I can do to help.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 May 2004 02:30]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 21r and 22r simialities and differnces Thu, 13 May 2004 04:01 Go to previous message
I don't know, but Toyota also changed the diff ratio in both the RA65's with W55 and W58. Maybe they just had some left over.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Installing 3T-GTE in a TA22
Next Topic:SOS SOS No oil pressure in my new engine!!!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 04:46:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.088202953338623 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.